What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

The Likeness by Tana French

Perhaps one of the most preposterous set-ups I've ever read. The main character, a detective in Dublin, is virtually an exact physical match for a murdered girl and they decide to send her undercover in the girl's place.

That aside (and it seems that a lot of readers can't get past that), the rest of the story is ridiculously good. French's mysteries are really slow burns, with a ton of character development and introspection. The book is long and took me a good while to read, but the deeper I got into the story, the longer my reading sessions became.

Highly recommended (though you should start with her first one, In the Woods).

Currently reading Shift. I really like the story, and think the prequel is really well done. However, it really annoys me to see the typos and poor editing of self-published books. Double periods, paragraphs not indented, missing quote marks. I keep thinking: "Couldn't you have gotten your sister to read and edit this?" The story is very good. The poor editing distracts from it.
Dust will probably make your head explode if that's the case.

Perhaps one of the most preposterous set-ups I've ever read. The main character, a detective in Dublin, is virtually an exact physical match for a murdered girl and they decide to send her undercover in the girl's place.
As my 8 year old would say - "But it could happen!"

Anyway, I just finished Blood Song, which was ridiculously good. Any book with 1000+ ratings at 5 stars is enough for me to bite. And sure enough it was that good.

Now reading the Crimson Vault, the second novel in a series. The first was quite good - the writing needed a bit of development and a good editor, but the imagination into the work was superb. It is now right up there on the best seller listings.

Also reading the Thirteenth Tale. A bit feminine for my tastes, but the author has an impeccable writing style that is a pleasure to read. And by feminine I mean "obviously written by a female writer" rather than full of cheap romance schlock. If you want to read a book that is an ode to book readers, this is a great one to pick up.

Anyway, I just finished Blood Song, which was ridiculously good. Any book with 1000+ ratings at 5 stars is enough for me to bite. And sure enough it was that good.
I was half way through The Passage and gave up. The jump in the story never grabbed me and found myself forgetting who the new characters were.

I'm going to start Blood Song. never heard of it. always a good thing.

I was half way through The Passage and gave up. The jump in the story never grabbed me and found myself forgetting who the new characters were.
It took me a while to adjust, too, but...

...when Amy is reintroduced, I got back into it.
Stick with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me a while to adjust, too, but...

...when Amy is reintroduced, I got back into it.
Stick with it.
I made it to her return. I quit a page or two after the who am i who am i...
That kind of puzzled me as well, but it all makes sense in the end. I nearly gave up on it too, but I'm glad I didn't.

Currently reading Shift. I really like the story, and think the prequel is really well done. However, it really annoys me to see the typos and poor editing of self-published books. Double periods, paragraphs not indented, missing quote marks. I keep thinking: "Couldn't you have gotten your sister to read and edit this?" The story is very good. The poor editing distracts from it.
:D Either it got better as the book went along, or I became less picky. Seemed like all of the errors were in the first 1/4. And I loved the book as a whole. Fired up to finish the series.

facook said:
:D Either it got better as the book went along, or I became less picky. Seemed like all of the errors were in the first 1/4. And I loved the book as a whole. Fired up to finish the series.
I never noticed it, and usually I get mad about errors like that. Maybe they corrected them since they were straight to digital downloads. I wish I'd have boned up on the final events of Wool before getting into Shift, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of references. But it's a great job at making a prequel. The novella format and quick digital release is lending itself quite perfectly to a slightly different type of storytelling that might seem quite off if it were in the older model of 2 years between published books. Huwey is doing a great job taking advantage of this new medium. I don't know that the perception shifts or the abandoning of storylines without closure would really go over well in a different format.

I'll go right into Dust, unless I decide to re-read the last 3 books of Wool again, after I finish the rest of Thrid Shift.

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

I'm not a huge sci-fi reader, and I really don't dig the hard stuff. This one was right up my alley. Some cool science, but the book doesn't get completely mired in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
just finished book five, The Naming Of The Beasts, of the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey. TNOTB is the final book in the series so far - it's hardboiled urban fantasy about an exorcist for hire living in a modern-day London where the dead have begun to rise en masse,and ghosts, zombies, werewolves and demons are becoming everyday sights.

I thought the series was pretty good and got better with each successive book. I'd give the Castor books 4 out of 5 stars overall - fun, quick reading in a similar vein as Jim Butcher and Ben Aaronovitch's stuff.

starting The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams - from what I can tell this is more a typical medieval-style fantasy series. George R. R. Martin mentioned it as one of his big influences for Game of Thrones, so I've got pretty high expectations here.

just finished book five, The Naming Of The Beasts, of the Felix Castor series by Mike Carey. TNOTB is the final book in the series so far - it's hardboiled urban fantasy about an exorcist for hire living in a modern-day London where the dead have begun to rise en masse,and ghosts, zombies, werewolves and demons are becoming everyday sights.

I thought the series was pretty good and got better with each successive book. I'd give the Castor books 4 out of 5 stars overall - fun, quick reading in a similar vein as Jim Butcher and Ben Aaronovitch's stuff.

starting The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams - from what I can tell this is more a typical medieval-style fantasy series. George R. R. Martin mentioned it as one of his big influences for Game of Thrones, so I've got pretty high expectations here.
I've heard that The Dragonbone Chair moves really slowly, similar to some of Robert Jordan's WoT books. Haven't read it myself though.

Just read Jess Walter's first novel, "Over Tumbled Graves," a really, really good cop procedural as well as ironic take on the serial killer genre.

He is probably my favorite author right now, kind of a hipper Richard Russo or an American Nick Hornby. "The Zero" is great, a 9/11 noir. "Financial Lives of the Poets" is really good too, as was "Beautiful Ruins," which came out last year and is definitely the most Russo-like of his books. But I recommend everything he's written.
:blackdot: I always like your taste in fiction.

I've heard that The Dragonbone Chair moves really slowly, similar to some of Robert Jordan's WoT books. Haven't read it myself though.
I read them years and years ago. It's more on the drier side of fantasy but still more engaging than a lot of the middle books of WoT. Some Stephen King influences in there as well. I liked them, but never really seriously considered re- reading them.

I'm almost finished with Phillip Meyers' "The Son". It's a multi-generational story of a Texas family from around the time of the Alamo to modern-day. I'd recommend this one highly, especially if you like Westerns and the other big Texas authors (or if you just like good writing).

I liked this. good thing I didn't know it was a coming of age story, I wouldn't of read it. Looking forward to the next book.

I am reading The Old Leatherman. It is a collection of newspaper articles and pictures from the 1800s regarding the title. Leatherman was a mysterious guy dressed in leather who did the same 300 mile + walk around new england, primarily Ct. Guy lived in caves and was pretty much a tramp that would show up in towns every 32-34 days. You could set the calendar on it.

I grew up in the area this happened and I remember going to some of his caves. It is pretty cool to look at pictures from the 1800s and recognize the area I grew up as a young lad.

*I have Stephen King's new book Doctor Sleep ready to go. :pickle:

I'm almost finished with Phillip Meyers' "The Son". It's a multi-generational story of a Texas family from around the time of the Alamo to modern-day. I'd recommend this one highly, especially if you like Westerns and the other big Texas authors (or if you just like good writing).
Evidently, I read this twice.

Anyway, really good. Warning, though - no wrap-everything-up resolution.

About 20% into Dr Sleep and am enjoying it.

Finished Elantris by Sanderson. Not bad. I can see why he was chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series. Just started book 1 of the Wheel of Time series, now that I know it was finished.

I'm about halfway through Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. This book is no joke.
I made it through the first two MBotF. It was really good but it was too much work for me to stay on top of things. One day when I have more time to commit or if I suddenly wake up smarter, I'm going to finish the series.
There is a huge series of articles on a read-along of the entire series on tor.com. One of the writers is re-reading all of the books and the other is going through for the first time. After each chapter they summarize and share some thoughts.

After I finish each chapter I go read their article. Interesting, and it sinks in a lot better. Not the way I've ever read a book before (though I once tried to read an explanation guide along with Ulysses) but I'm really enjoying it.

anyone read Robert Crais?

i just finished his first book (The Watchman). Somewhat of a cross between Lee Child (Jack Reacher) and Michael Connelly. While i wait for the next Reacher book.

anyone read Robert Crais?

i just finished his first book (The Watchman). Somewhat of a cross between Lee Child (Jack Reacher) and Michael Connelly. While i wait for the next Reacher book.
I'm on book 5 of the Reacher books, to give you some perspective. I love them.

I've read Suspect by Crais. Really, really good. Especially if you like dogs. There are whole chapters that will mirror a scene you've just read, but from the German shepherd K9 dog's (Maggie) view.

Absolutely loved it. Have been wanting to start his Elvis Cole series.

Finished Team of Rivals. It put me in a Civil War mood, so now I'm reading Battle Cry of Freedom; the Civil War Era by James McPherson. I probably should have switched the order of those two reads.

I put on the Ken Burns Civil War documentary on Netflix the other night to fall asleep to. I had to turn it off because whenever they mentioned some little tidbit, I kept thinking "hey, you barely scratched the surface of that story." It kept me up so I had to turn it off.

About to dig in to Dust. Liked Wool a lot more than I thought I would so hoping Dust is a good read and sheds some light on wtf is going on.

About to dig in to Dust. Liked Wool a lot more than I thought I would so hoping Dust is a good read and sheds some light on wtf is going on.
I've bogged down on Dust. I'm about half way through but haven't picked it up again after about 2 - 3 weeks.
Meant to say Shift, not Dust. Dust is the last one right? :bag:
Yep

I was reading them back to back to back so that might have had something to do with it as well.

I've bogged down on Dust. I'm about half way through but haven't picked it up again after about 2 - 3 weeks.
Yep

I was reading them back to back to back so that might have had something to do with it as well.
It took me a while to get through Dust, too. (just got done with it last night)

It was meh. Didn't like how they got us to feel sympathetic about Donald again after he murdered Anna and basically morphed into Thurman at the end of Shift.

I also was meh on Juliette this go-around. I mean, granted, her actions did save SOME of her people, but also got others killed.

YepI was reading them back to back to back so that might have had something to do with it as well.
I waited a few months after Wool to get around to the Shift trilogy. I wish I'd re- read Wool before Shift, don't want to say more in case of minor spoilers being deduced. I'm re - reading the last Wool book now before starting on Dust. Howey does a great job of making his comprehensive storylines complimenting each other

YepI was reading them back to back to back so that might have had something to do with it as well.
I waited a few months after Wool to get around to the Shift trilogy. I wish I'd re- read Wool before Shift, don't want to say more in case of minor spoilers being deduced. I'm re - reading the last Wool book now before starting on Dust. Howey does a great job of making his comprehensive storylines complimenting each other
I read about a page of Dust before realizing I would be better off re-reading from the beginning. Plan on picking up the entire series from the start after I wrap up my current read.

I read about a page of Dust before realizing I would be better off re-reading from the beginning. Plan on picking up the entire series from the start after I wrap up my current read.
Yeah, book 5 of Wool is a little more into the Solo storyline than I remember, I may have to start with book 4 instead. Makes me want to put it off though. Maybe re-read Canticle for Liebowitz, since the whole series kind of reminds of it, in form as well as story.

Just finished Name of the Wind - Kingkiller Chronicles Day 1 - Patrick Rothfuss.

Man, great book. Gotta say, was a bit hard to get into, like many good books, but highly recommended. On his second book now, A Wise Man's Fear.

Scott Lynch's Republic of Thieves has finally come out. I liked the first two (lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies). It's not groundbreaking literature, but it's better than Clive Cussler. Two orphans trained as thieves bouncing around from scam to scam, but with magic and weird, unnatural cities as backdrop. Fun, but not life changing. Be interesting to see if whatever drama he went through that delayed the book will make his writing darker, it's already on the grim side, like a fantasy Michael Connely.

I'm at some type of promo event for an upcoming Starz series based on the book Outlander. Gee, women are into this.

Scott Lynch's Republic of Thieves has finally come out. I liked the first two (lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies). It's not groundbreaking literature, but it's better than Clive Cussler. Two orphans trained as thieves bouncing around from scam to scam, but with magic and weird, unnatural cities as backdrop. Fun, but not life changing. Be interesting to see if whatever drama he went through that delayed the book will make his writing darker, it's already on the grim side, like a fantasy Michael Connely.
I like the characters themselves more than the series with Lynch. I think there is a lot of depth to the Locke and Jean but after having read ROT, I find that I am always left a little unsatisfied with the conclusions. I wanted more from RS and ROT with the endings. I'll still be reading the series whenever a new book comes out but hope it can catch the spark of the first book.

Users who are viewing this thread