What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (5 Viewers)

Gravity said:
Just finished Obsidian Worlds - a fantastic sci-fi short story collection.

Dark, Offbeat, Funny, Raunchy. The stories grab you and really make you think.

I really enjoyed Bleed me Silicon and Falling for Q46F. Very funny. Very touching.

Highly recommended. Its on sale at Amazon right now for .99 cents.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just purchased through Amazon. I'll read one tonight and report back... some of the reviews I've read have me kind of amped up for this.
Read Dinner with Flexi first. Then let me know what you think.

There were some developments in the final Dark Tower book that diminished the entire series for me. I can't remember my thoughts on the book overall, but I felt how he handled some characters / conflicts at the end was anticlimactic / disappointing. (I liked the Coda though) I still bought the Wind Through the Keyhole but haven't been able to bring myself to go back and read it yet.

I liked 11/22/63 a lot.

I liked Mr. Mercedes but Finders Keepers wasn't nearly as good. "That $#!t don't mean $#!t" Hopefully the third book to close out the trilogy is good, it seems like its set up well from the end of FK.

I liked The Martian a lot but not sure how much the fact that I'm a Mechanical Engineer played into that,

I somehow got tricked into reading a chick book. "The Girl on the Train" was still pretty good though.

Just started on Jack Reacher books and almost halfway through the first one, like it a lot so far. Downside is they are $10 for Kindle versions, hopefully there's a price drop where I can pick up more at some point.
Looks like I'm going to have to give 11/22/63 a shot.

I agree about the Dark Tower, there was one character in particular who made appearances through many King books who had a VERY unsatisfying resolution. I was really bummed how anti-climactic it was. Just so lazy. However, overall it was a great ride, a great world, and the very end (coda) was perfect. Always thought The Stand was King's best book but this was his opus.

There were some developments in the final Dark Tower book that diminished the entire series for me. I can't remember my thoughts on the book overall, but I felt how he handled some characters / conflicts at the end was anticlimactic / disappointing. (I liked the Coda though) I still bought the Wind Through the Keyhole but haven't been able to bring myself to go back and read it yet.

I liked 11/22/63 a lot.

I liked Mr. Mercedes but Finders Keepers wasn't nearly as good. "That $#!t don't mean $#!t" Hopefully the third book to close out the trilogy is good, it seems like its set up well from the end of FK.
i'm going to keep jumping up and down recommending The Talisman until someone agrees with me that it's one of his better ones. :P

11/22/63 is on my list.
The Talisman was one of my favorites. M-O-O-N spells "good book"

I never read the Black House.

Just finished Zone One by Colson Whitehead. I was reading an interview by the Station Eleven writer and she mentioned this book as one of her favorite books in the genre so I gave it a whirl.

Pretty good story and a great perspective, interesting characters. Book was more about the recovering world and the psyche of the survivors of a zombie apocalypse than a zombie shoot/escape adventure story. It was a great idea and almost an excellent book. The problem was the writer. I don't know if he is young or inexperienced but a lot of the writing seemed like he was trying to cram every big word and literary device he could into the book. Too much confusing flashback and weird timelines. It seems like someone with a lot of talent still finding their way.

Saying that, if you read zombie/dystopian books this one is worth a read. I enjoyed it but wish it was better.

lombardi said:
Just finished Zone One by Colson Whitehead. I was reading an interview by the Station Eleven writer and she mentioned this book as one of her favorite books in the genre so I gave it a whirl.

Pretty good story and a great perspective, interesting characters. Book was more about the recovering world and the psyche of the survivors of a zombie apocalypse than a zombie shoot/escape adventure story. It was a great idea and almost an excellent book. The problem was the writer. I don't know if he is young or inexperienced but a lot of the writing seemed like he was trying to cram every big word and literary device he could into the book. Too much confusing flashback and weird timelines. It seems like someone with a lot of talent still finding their way.

Saying that, if you read zombie/dystopian books this one is worth a read. I enjoyed it but wish it was better.
Big fan of Whitehead. This is his worst novel by far. I thought it was just dreadful. (His poker book was also pretty weak.)

My favorite novel is his is John Henry Days. Also really liked The Intuitionist (his debut) and Sag Harbor (memoir of sorts).

Last edited by a moderator:
reading station 11....not sure how i got into this world is ending rut....wayward pines...zoo...run...and now station 11....

Gravity said:
Gravity said:

I really enjoyed Bleed me Silicon and Falling for Q46F. Very funny. Very touching.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just purchased through Amazon. I'll read one tonight and report back... some of the reviews I've read have me kind of amped up for this.
Wish I would have seen this before I started reading. Just started from the beginning and read Your Averaged Joe (which was kind of underwhelming) and The Cryo Killer (which I enjoyed, both in style and execution... no pun intended... but it was nothing extraordinary). I'll try Dinner with Flexi and Falling for Q46F tonight.

Gravity said:
Gravity said:

Wish I would have seen this before I started reading. Just started from the beginning and read Your Averaged Joe (which was kind of underwhelming) and The Cryo Killer (which I enjoyed, both in style and execution... no pun intended... but it was nothing extraordinary). I'll try Dinner with Flexi and Falling for Q46F tonight.
Only .99 kindle, nice. Just bought it, will read it soon.

Just got back from a cruise where we visited Key West. Toured the Hemingway house there so I've picked up a collection of his short stories to read. Going through that now.

Yeah, Joe & Cryo were absolutely the 2 weakest. I didn't love Grandpa either. All the rest were great.

Yeah, Joe & Cryo were absolutely the 2 weakest. I didn't love Grandpa either. All the rest were great.
I bought this and it's on the list along with A Higher Call by Adam Makos. We'll see how those two are.

I wanted to alert folks in here that might have interest that The Blade Itself by Abercrombie is on special for $2 (Kindle) right now. I almost can't recommend this highly enough. Great storytelling with some very memorable characters. Some of the best fantasy stuff in the last decade, easily.

The Three Body Problem. sci-fi that takes place during the cultural revolution in China. not much character development and no protagonist. it's full of physics. strange but I liked it a lot.

I just finished A Brief History of Seven Killings. I thought it was amazing. It took me quite a while to get acclimated to the Jamaican patois, but once I was able to understand it, I thought it was incredible. Anyone else read it?
Next on my list. Can't wait.

I liked 11/22/63 a lot.

i'm going to keep jumping up and down recommending The Talisman until someone agrees with me that it's one of his better ones. :P

11/22/63 is on my list.
The Talisman was one of my favorites. M-O-O-N spells "good book"

I never read the Black House.
M-o-o-n also spells The Stand. :unsure:

Halfway through Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes - best King book since Dark Tower 7 a decade ago.
read 3 of his books in the past year or so.

Mr. Mercedes - enjoyed it - very easy read. no King weirdness.

(sequel) Finders Keepers - Good

Revival - Liked the first 2/3 of it but then it got weird. Felt like I wasted my time on this one.

The Bible

(to see what is really in there.)

- So far the writers of the Old Testament seem to have OCD for penises and cutting parts off of it. If you don't snip your penis, they would kill you.

- About every 40 years the people in Jerusalem would bail on their promises to God. An enemy would be allowed to come in and take over the city for about 7 years. The oppressed people beg God to forgive them and help them out. God smites the oppressors. Within the next 40 years the people start acting like ##### again. It happens over and over again.

The Bible

- So far the writers of the Old Testament seem to have OCD for penises and cutting parts off of it. If you don't snip your penis, they would kill you.

- About every 40 years the people in Jerusalem would bail on their promises to God. An enemy would be allowed to come in and take over the city for about 7 years. The oppressed people beg God to forgive them and help them out. God smites the oppressors. Within the next 40 years the people start acting like ##### again. It happens over and over again.
- Jews picked this practice up from the Egyptians, who believed it to be cleaner, and used it to separate themselves from other tribes.

- My favorite Bible story is the one where the entire world is destroyed except for one family that built a boat but within a generation that family is no longer following God.

The Bible

- Jews picked this practice up from the Egyptians, who believed it to be cleaner, and used it to separate themselves from other tribes.

- My favorite Bible story is the one where the entire world is destroyed except for one family that built a boat but within a generation that family is no longer following God.
I understand the cleanliness thing. They should state that as the reason. Instead it's just 'if you don't we have to kill you'.

In the middle of Stephen King's new short story collection but over the holiday break hope to finish that and move on to A Pickpocket's Tale: The Underworld of Nineteenth-Century New York

In George Appo's world, child pickpockets swarmed the crowded streets, addicts drifted in furtive opium dens, and expert swindlers worked the lucrative green-goods game. On a good night Appo made as much as a skilled laborer made in a year. Bad nights left him with more than a dozen scars and over a decade in prisons from the Tombs and Sing Sing to the Matteawan State Hospital for the Criminally Insane, where he reunited with another inmate, his father. The child of Irish and Chinese immigrants, Appo grew up in the notorious Five Points and Chinatown neighborhoods. He rose as an exemplar of the "good fellow," a criminal who relied on wile, who followed a code of loyalty even in his world of deception. Here is the underworld of the New York that gave us Edith Wharton, Boss Tweed, Central Park, and the Brooklyn Bridge.

In the middle of Stephen King's new shorty story collection but over the holiday break hope to finish that and move on to A Pickpocket's Tale: The Underworld of Nineteenth-Century New York

In George Appo's world, child pickpockets swarmed the crowded streets, addicts drifted in furtive opium dens, and expert swindlers worked the lucrative green-goods game. On a good night Appo made as much as a skilled laborer made in a year. Bad nights left him with more than a dozen scars and over a decade in prisons from the Tombs and Sing Sing to the Matteawan State Hospital for the Criminally Insane, where he reunited with another inmate, his father. The child of Irish and Chinese immigrants, Appo grew up in the notorious Five Points and Chinatown neighborhoods. He rose as an exemplar of the "good fellow," a criminal who relied on wile, who followed a code of loyalty even in his world of deception. Here is the underworld of the New York that gave us Edith Wharton, Boss Tweed, Central Park, and the Brooklyn Bridge.
that sounds pretty good.

similar, but non-fiction book about that subject is Luc Sante's "Low Life", which I loved.

Got an Amazon gift card for Xmas so just bought 9 books:

All the Light We Cannot See

Girl Waits With Gun

The Martian (didn't see the movie yet)

GBH

The Whites

A Brief History of Seven Killings

The Given Day

World Gone By

Live by Night

Last three are a trilogy by Dennis Lehane

I liked the Troop. Old school horror. Reminded me of early stephen king stuff.

There was something about it I didn't like but I can't remember what it was, something to do with the ending.

FINALLY got a Kindle for Christmas. I guess I have to take all these unread books down to Half Price Books?

I really am going to miss going to bookstores.

Also, did someone in here recommend The 8th by Matt Shaw? It was in my wishlist and noticed today that Kindle edition was free.

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'm sure there was a really good story buried in there but it was such a slog to get through. Underwhelmed.

2.5/5

Just finished One Year After the sequel to One Second After. Seemed to me like a reboot of the first which I thought was fantastic and just a shout out to his fans telling what happened to the town of Black Mountain after the big ending in book one. It was ok but didn't hold me like the first one. Upside is it only 300 or so pages and a very quick read so in the interest of answering some questions, fans of the first should read the second but I wouldn't trip over myself getting it.

Just finished One Year After the sequel to One Second After. Seemed to me like a reboot of the first which I thought was fantastic and just a shout out to his fans telling what happened to the town of Black Mountain after the big ending in book one. It was ok but didn't hold me like the first one. Upside is it only 300 or so pages and a very quick read so in the interest of answering some questions, fans of the first should read the second but I wouldn't trip over myself getting it.
Recently finished it too and liked it better than the first.

Reading The Martian now. How did I not read this book sooner? First half has been excellent. (Did not see the movie yet)

Keep going back and forth about All the Light We Cannot See. I hear great things but I'm still not sold. Will probably get it eventually. Just not in a rush.

I haven't posted here in awhile...

Finished Jonathan Franzen's "Purity". I think it's his weakest novel -- not as enthralling as "The Corrections" or "Freedom." I didn't really care for any of the characters; the story was dragged out a bit too much.

Also read volume 2 of Manchester's biography of Churchill, "Alone." Manchester is a solid writer, but I think I've read too many other books about Churchill to get too much enjoyment out of it.

Recently started Hanya Yanagihara's "A Little Life." It's on a lot of books of the year lists, and thought I'd give it a whirl. Plot (involving a character dealing with issues caused by sexual assault as a child) sounds depressing as hell though.

In the middle of Stephen King's new short story collection
Finished this. Pretty good stories, I enjoyed and would recommend.

Now on to All the Light We Cannot See.
Good luck with that one.
Not a fan? I heard its phenomenal; hope it wasn't over hyped for me.
Great writing, but I did not enjoy the story at all. The

magic diamond stuff
was just weird and the characters didn't interest me.

In the middle of Stephen King's new short story collection
Finished this. Pretty good stories, I enjoyed and would recommend.

Now on to All the Light We Cannot See.
Good luck with that one.
Not a fan? I heard its phenomenal; hope it wasn't over hyped for me.
Great writing, but I did not enjoy the story at all. The
magic diamond stuff
was just weird and the characters didn't interest me.

I enjoyed it, and thought the writing and characters were great. I agree that spoiler aspect was a bit unneccesary though.

Well now I'm intrigued. Can't click on the spoiler link though. I'm about 15 percent through it and am enjoying so far.

I liked the Troop. Old school horror. Reminded me of early stephen king stuff.

There was something about it I didn't like but I can't remember what it was, something to do with the ending.
Was it

the ambiguity of Max feeling intensely hungry at the end?

I left it thinking "....Wait! Does that mean he has it?!"

If you like thrillers, may I humbly suggest this one?

Hostile Takeover by Derek Blount

[And keep in mind that in the above, "humbly suggest" = "please purchase so my kids can eat in 2016"]

If you want a 2-page sample before investing your hard-earned dollars (and time) in the novel, here is a short story published in MENSA Magazine a couple months ago.

And if you do buy Hostile Takeover...thanks! :thanks: :hifive:
That sounds pretty good. I'll do it.

Recently finished it too and liked it better than the first.
Maybe it's just me then, kinda reminded me of the new Star Wars movie and comparisons to New Hope. Just seemed liked the same theme to me, struggle to survive, have some successes, fight a big fight against a telegraphed antagonist, set up for even bigger fight in next one if there is one. I can see John Matherson morphing into a Jack Ryan character here if the series continues. Not sure what Forstchen's appetite for that would be.

So now mostly through the re-read of 100 Years of Solitude. Stunning prose and yeah, the magical realism is still fun. I know it's kind of the point, but the cyclical nature of the family members lives/characteristics and repeated names has made it a bit sloggish.

Alright. I'm giving this whole reading thing a try. Going to try to ease my way in and commit to a book a month. I read 'Small as an Elephant' by Jennifer Richard Jacobson. It was on my 9 year old's kindle, and checked it out. Nice easy read. Obviously meant for younger readers but I enjoyed it.

Jumped into 'The Revenant'. Movie previews looked cool, so that's where I'm starting.

Users who are viewing this thread