What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (6 Viewers)

Reading through this thread has motivated me to want to start reading regularly again.  Thanks to this thread, I've started separate lists of non-fiction and fiction books that I'd like to read.  So far:

The Day of the Jackal - I thought it was just so-so

Friday Night Lights - Halfway through and love it so far!

Thanks, sfflchamp! I'm so glad you enjoyed HOSTILE TAKEOVER.  :thanks:

The book is doing well for a novel from an "unknown" writer. Sales are consistent and reviews are great (phew!).

Of course, "consistent" doesn't mean "gangbusters" so the biggest challenge is public awareness. For the vast majority of readers, when they go to buy a book, they gravitate toward authors they've already read. New books (well, new authors) are heavily reliant on word-of-mouth advertising.

It's wonderful when readers tell me they liked Hostile Takeover just as much as Author X (comparisons have ranged from Dennis Lehane to Gillian Flynn to David Baldacci to Stephen King...all of those are flattering though it seems to often align with whichever author is currently in the reader's "I really like" stable). But while it's an honor to be compared with those writers, the bigger compliment (and goal) is for the reader to tell their friends/family/book-club to buy the book.  :thumbup:

Gearing up for the release of SECOND SON early this summer (which is actually running behind since the original goal was first of the year). I've received a lot of "where's the next book?" questions through my website. Really looking forward to releasing it and hopefully seeing an accompanying bump in sales of Hostile Takeover.

If anyone else would like to give it a shot, please check it out on amazon here - HOSTILE TAKEOVER

And if you REALLY want to help a FBG brother out, please consider writing a review on Amazon or Goodreads once you've finished.   :hifive:

Or sharing it on Facebook. Or Twitter. Or LinkedIn. Or Pinterest. Or MySpace. Or whatever the kids use for sharing these days.  :whistle:
Do you benefit financially at all if it is read on kindle unlimited?

The book is doing well for a novel from an "unknown" writer. Sales are consistent and reviews are great (phew!).

Of course, "consistent" doesn't mean "gangbusters" so the biggest challenge is public awareness. For the vast majority of readers, when they go to buy a book, they gravitate toward authors they've already read. New books (well, new authors) are heavily reliant on word-of-mouth advertising.

It's wonderful when readers tell me they liked Hostile Takeover just as much as Author X (comparisons have ranged from Dennis Lehane to Gillian Flynn to David Baldacci to Stephen King...all of those are flattering though it seems to often align with whichever author is currently in the reader's "I really like" stable). But while it's an honor to be compared with those writers, the bigger compliment (and goal) is for the reader to tell their friends/family/book-club to buy the book.  :thumbup:

Gearing up for the release of SECOND SON early this summer (which is actually running behind since the original goal was first of the year). I've received a lot of "where's the next book?" questions through my website. Really looking forward to releasing it and hopefully seeing an accompanying bump in sales of Hostile Takeover.

If anyone else would like to give it a shot, please check it out on amazon here - HOSTILE TAKEOVER

And if you REALLY want to help a FBG brother out, please consider writing a review on Amazon or Goodreads once you've finished.   :hifive:

Or sharing it on Facebook. Or Twitter. Or LinkedIn. Or Pinterest. Or MySpace. Or whatever the kids use for sharing these days.  :whistle:
Tried to get my local library to order this for you man.  They said there aren't enough mainstream reviews of it to justify an order.  Sorry. :(

I will be interested in your take of book 2 then. 

I have tried audiobooks, but just can't do it.  I was surprised, as I listen to podcasts and sports talk in the car all the time, but I found out quickly that I just don't pay attention enough as I am doing other things to really follow along with a book.  I tried it with one of the George RR Martin books and couldn't remember #### by the time I got home. 
I listen to audio books all the time now but they aren't good for hard sci-fi or fantasy with a lot of strange names or terminology.

I just don't pay attention well enough to go this route. Because I am doing other stuff at the same time, I will go 20mins and not remember what is going on in the story. 
The key is to not focus as much on driving...

I also listen to them when I go on hikes by myself.

Just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain. It's an entire book from a dogs prospective as his owner and family go through some pretty rough times. I wasn't sold on the book until I got about 40% in and then I had a really hard time putting it down. Seems like a dumb idea for a book, but it really worked.

Currently listening to The Passage, which I grabbed on Audible months ago on recommendations of this thread. Another book that I wasn't really sold on until I was probably 60% of the way through. I haven't read (listened to in this case) many books that are 800 pages, but both this and The Stand were both a bit difficult to get through at times because it seems like there is too much backstory being developed without enough of the story being pushed forward. In the end it definitely payed off in The Stand and it seems like it is going to pay off for The Passage as well.

I'm going to start reading Friday Night Lights tonight.

Do you benefit financially at all if it is read on kindle unlimited?
Hi, prosopis! I do benefit when books are read on Kindle Unlimited but in a slightly different way (interpretation of "slight" being pretty broad here  :P ).

When a Kindle book is purchased, I just get a flat royalty - a percentage of the $3.99 purchase price.

Books read through Kindle Unlimited or through the Kindle Owners Lending Library are treated differently. There's something called a "Kindle Select Global Fund" that amasses a certain amount of money each month. Amazon then tracks exactly how many pages of each book in the Kindle program are read through Unlimited or the Kindle Library and they pay royalties to individual authors based on that (it's called the "Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count"). Brave new world.

Long story short, I'm sure writers like King and Grisham make lots of money each month from the Global Fund. Little guys like me...not so much (I could blow my monthly portion of the Global Fund at Taco Bell and still have to dig into my pocket for some change to cover the rest of the bill).

However, for where I'm at in the process, I have no complaints about participating in the "free" Kindle programs. Readers in those programs are probably more likely to download a book from an author they've never heard of since it's no cash outlay for them.

That's what I need. Readers willing to give it a shot for a few pages. If they enjoy the book, there's a chance they recommend it to their friends/family/book-club (of, if they're really generous, they'll take a few minutes to leave a positive review on amazon or Goodreads).

Even in the digital age, word-of-mouth advertising is THE key to success in the literary market. For there to be any chance for Hostile Takeover (or any future books) to make an impact, there's a critical mass of exposure/awareness that must be attained in the market. I'm still trying to crack that nut and get the exposure.

All that to say, if you're willing to read the book - whether buying it or reading it "for free" through Kindle Unlimited - I am totally in favor of you doing so!  :thumbup:

And if you do read it, please let me know what you think. And THANK YOU!  :thanks:

Tried to get my local library to order this for you man.  They said there aren't enough mainstream reviews of it to justify an order.  Sorry. :(
Thanks for the effort, facook! I really appreciate it (even if it didn't work  out).  :hifive:

It's funny. I actually received an email through my website the other day from a librarian in Dubuque, Iowa. He said one of their patrons had read Hostile Takeover and really enjoyed it. He was trying to find out when the next book is coming out so he could order it.

So at least the library in Dubuque is on board (and everyone in the literary world knows that Dubuque has been the springboard for success to every major novel written in the past century),   :lmao:

I am on the third book of the Red Rising series.  I have quite enjoyed these.  So far I think the second book in the trilogy, Golden Son, has been my favorite.  Also really enjoyed Shantaram.  It probably could have been 200 pages shorter though.  

Last edited by a moderator:
The Whites by Richard Price writing as Harry Brandt. Pretty solid so far.

Back in the 1990s, when Billy Graves worked in the South Bronx as part of an anti-crime unit known as the Wild Geese, he made headlines by accidentally shooting a ten-year-old boy while stopping an angel-dusted berserker in the street. Branded as a cowboy, Billy spent years in one dead-end posting after another. Now in his early forties, he is a sergeant in Manhattan Night Watch, a team of detectives that responds to all felonies from Wall Street to Harlem between one a.m. and eight a.m.

Billy’s work is mostly routine, but when Night Watch is called to the four a.m. fatal slashing of a man in Penn Station, his investigation moves beyond the usual handoff to the day shift. And when he discovers that the victim was once a suspect in an unsolved murder―a brutal case with connections to the former members of the Wild Geese―the bad old days are back in Billy’s life with a vengeance.

Thanks for the effort, facook! I really appreciate it (even if it didn't work  out).  :hifive:

It's funny. I actually received an email through my website the other day from a librarian in Dubuque, Iowa. He said one of their patrons had read Hostile Takeover and really enjoyed it. He was trying to find out when the next book is coming out so he could order it.

So at least the library in Dubuque is on board (and everyone in the literary world knows that Dubuque has been the springboard for success to every major novel written in the past century),   :lmao:
You know what they say, if you can make it in Dubuque... :)

I am on the third book of the Red Rising series.  I have quite enjoyed these.  So far I think the second book in the trilogy, Golden Son, has been my favorite.  Also really enjoyed Shantaram.  It probably could have been 200 pages shorter though.  
Great series.  Did not know #3 is out, I'll find that soon.

Shantaram is one of my all time favorite books.  Kinda bummed to read the lukewarm reviews of the sequel.

Great series.  Did not know #3 is out, I'll find that soon.

Shantaram is one of my all time favorite books.  Kinda bummed to read the lukewarm reviews of the sequel.
It's out, at least on Kindle.  It's titled Morning Star.  The whole series is such a quick read.  

Do you enjoy Cormac McCarthey? Then do yourself a favor and check out James Carlos Blake. As usual I am stuck on an author that I really like and have binged on 6 straight of his books- he is freaking awesome! "In the Rogue Blood" is one of the best books I have ever read, but be forewarned that it is extremely violent and bloody- but in a good way.

He is great at taking historical periods and adding some fiction to crime drama. Highly recommend!

Working my way through the Undying Mercenary series starting with Steel World.  Good, pure pulp sci fi books.  Not a lot of heavy thinking but definitely an entertaining ride. 
Have listened to these on my commute, entertaining and perfect for driving.

just started Red Rising, which I chose without knowing much about it.   

-fish- said:
just started Red Rising, which I chose without knowing much about it.   
basically the same way I approached the series.  Heard good things but really bought it because it was on sale.  

Just finished William Manchester's "American Caesar" -- his bio of Douglas MacArthur.  Manchester's "The Last Lion" volumes on Churchill is one of my favorite bios and thought I'd give this one a whirl. It's a similar style and up to par with that one.

Starting on Viet Thanh Nguyen's "The Sympathizer." It just won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and I'm a sucker for Pulitzer winners.

Don Quixote said:
Starting on Viet Thanh Nguyen's "The Sympathizer." It just won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and I'm a sucker for Pulitzer winners.
Thought this was a bit underwhelming. Perhaps I was a victim of the hype.

Vague question, but we have a 3 hour car ride (each way) in a few weeks and I'm looking for something "light, but fun" to listen to with the wife on the ride.  Any suggestions?

Vague question, but we have a 3 hour car ride (each way) in a few weeks and I'm looking for something "light, but fun" to listen to with the wife on the ride.  Any suggestions?
I saw your post in the audible thread, and that is what I was going to suggest - a light biography.  I was going to mention the Tina Fey one, or even the Bruce Campbell bio. Maybe even a musician. Figure there would be somebody both you and your wife agree on. 

I saw your post in the audible thread, and that is what I was going to suggest - a light biography.  I was going to mention the Tina Fey one, or even the Bruce Campbell bio. Maybe even a musician. Figure there would be somebody both you and your wife agree on. 
Aziz Ansari's audio book is pretty good.  Actually supported by some research.  It's about relationships though so it could go either way for you.  

If you like classic sci-fi with good science and wild plot twists, you'll love 3 Body Problem, and The Dark Forest.  Can't wait until August release of the 3rd book...which I cannot recall the name of just now.  Since they are translated from Chinese, the prose clunks a little bit from time to time.  But the ideas presented are outstanding!
about 2/3rds thru 3 Body.....best SF I've read in a LONG time....

Just finished Jonathan Lee's High Dive and really liked it. It's fictional story set during the  IRA bombing of the Grand Hotel in 84. It weaves together stories of terrorists and hotel employees. It's not a political thriller or a suspenseful page turner. It's more of a story of people struggling with employment. It's a story of labor issues on a personal level. Just wonderful writing and character development.  Highly recommend.

Just finished Jim Butcher's first book in his new Cinder Spire series - The Aeronaut's Windlass.  Liked it a lot.

Just finished Jim Butcher's first book in his new Cinder Spire series - The Aeronaut's Windlass.  Liked it a lot.
Read that one as well, also liked it a bunch. Any idea when the next installment is out? Currently finishing up Daniel Abraham's The Spider's War, the final installment in his Dagger & Coin series. The whole series has been an entertaining read, although I feel it's dragged out over the last couple of books.

Don't know if this book has been mentioned A Land Remembered.It is historical fiction very good book.Especially for any of you Florida boys it tells a the story of a Florida family from the civil war to modern times.Being from central Florida I knew the cattle industry was big in Florida but didn't realize it was bigger than even citrus for a long time.Anyway it is a great read I really enjoyed it.

Just purchased it from Amazon tonight.I just started getting into reading books again.I swear I don't know why I ever got away from it.

On 3/6/2016 at 7:22 PM, Mohawk said:
If you like classic sci-fi with good science and wild plot twists, you'll love 3 Body Problem, and The Dark Forest.  Can't wait until August release of the 3rd book...which I cannot recall the name of just now.  Since they are translated from Chinese, the prose clunks a little bit from time to time.  But the ideas presented are outstanding!
Starting it tomorrow.

Really enjoying Edna O'Brien's The Little Red Chairs.  It features a character loosely based on Radovan Karadzic, but imagines him spending his years in hiding as a holistic healer and "sex therapist" in a small town in Ireland.  

About 100 pages left in The Given Day and really enjoying it and looking forward to reading the last two books in the so called Coughlin Series.
On to the second book in this series, Live by Night. Really enjoying these, I had not read anything by Lehane before these.

Song of Shadows by John Connolly. Latest Charlie Parker

The Son by Jo Nesbo, standalone thriller by the author of Harry Hole series.

I like both authors very much.  If you like them, you'll like these books.  Nothing extraordinary, but enjoyable reads.

Just finished Boy's Life.  It took awhile to reel me in as the book tends to zig and zag along the plot line (over 600 pages) but really enjoyed it.  I believe it's been mentioned in the thread by others.  Not sure but this strikes me as a book you remember for a while after reading it.    

Read that one as well, also liked it a bunch. Any idea when the next installment is out? Currently finishing up Daniel Abraham's The Spider's War, the final installment in his Dagger & Coin series. The whole series has been an entertaining read, although I feel it's dragged out over the last couple of books.
Next installment?  No clue.  Nothing on his website even mentioning it.

Just picked up Altered Carbon, starting tonight.

Really interested in the Cixin Liu books though, probably next in line.

Been trying to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.  Having a hard time getting into it.  Going to set it aside for Altered Carbon and try again after.

Users who are viewing this thread