What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (4 Viewers)

I think a few people in here have said they read and like the series so I will ask here so I don't run into possible spoiler by looking around online.  Last week I started Brimstone from the Agent Pendergast series and I'm about 1/2 way through it.  I have read the first books in the series, but it's been so long that I have very little recollection of what happened.  Anyway, there is a female character - Constance that is his ward at the beginning of this book, but the way she described and some of the things that have been said I assume that she was involved in one of the other books (I would assume Cabinet of Curiosities).   

Anyway, am I right that she was part of the first books, and if so could you give me a brief non-spoiler synopsis on what I should know from the other book?  

Like I said, I know I could look it up, but it seems like as soon as I do that I get spoilers for current or  upcoming books.  
"Constance Greene is the ward and amanuensis of Special Agent Pendergast. First mentioned in only vague, mysterious terms in The Cabinet of Curiosities and Still Life with Crows, she was finally introduced during the events of Brimstone."

Her character is definitely mysterious and fleshed out more and more as the series continues.

Finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.  Fun horror story but thought it was too long.
So did Hill. He talks about it in the introduction to his recent short story collection.

I've got some catching up to do here. I've read 3 or 4 or 5 since I last posted.

"Constance Greene is the ward and amanuensis of Special Agent Pendergast. First mentioned in only vague, mysterious terms in The Cabinet of Curiosities and Still Life with Crows, she was finally introduced during the events of Brimstone."

Her character is definitely mysterious and fleshed out more and more as the series continues.
Thanks!  I thought there was more that I had forgot about.  

Does the rest of the series still stay pretty good?

I just finished an excellent hero/fantasy novel “Name of the Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss. I think the best way to describe it is as a more mature/Adult Harry Potter type series. I have requested the next book in the series of the Kingkiller chronicles “the Wise Mans Fear”
Awesome series. Though not sure the 3rd book will ever come out  :(

I've been making my way through Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. I just finished "Moscow Rules" publishing in 2008. Near the beginning Russians kill a journalist using nerve agents...

Wait, didn't this just happen not too long ago in London? Are the Russians reading this series too for ideas to wreak havoc? 

Another case of life portraying art!

Pendergast and D'Agosta  keep things going although Candace was knocked up by his evil brother Diogenes and I think she is in hiding in a monk temple somewhere in Peru trying to keep the baby info a secret from Diogenes- who miraculously reappeared in the series after being pushed into a live volcano by Candace.

Splendid indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I'm reading Erik Larsen's Dead Wake about the sinking of the Lusitania.

Then it'll be on to King's new one - The Outsider
I think this is where I left off....

REALLY liked Dead Wake - almost as much as Devil In The White City. I'd be in awe of Larsen just for his research alone, but he is also killer at weaving a story together.

I also liked the new King a lot. Same strengths and same flaws as many of his books have, but he seemed a little sharper to me. Warning: if you plan on reading his Bill Hodges trilogy (the one that starts with Mr Mercedes) and also this one - read the Hodges first. They're not as good as The Outsider, but there's a tie-in between the two stories and something in this one is a spoiler for how the other ends. 

Then I read Drew Megary's The Hike. Megary is a writer at GQ and Deadspin, among other places. I think he's very funny, but this is the first fiction I've read by him. Holy crap, this was bat#### crazy! I don't even know how to explain this book: it's funny but brutal, like an acid trip but also straight forward. About the sanest thing is the talking crab. I'd recommend it, but you have to buy in or it won't work IMO.

Now I'm doing a reread of Robert McCammon's Boys Life. I haven't read this in probably 25 years and had forgotten how good it is. If you like coming-of-age stories, check it out.

It's one of my favorites.  Not a world-changer, but I have yet to read one of them I didn't enjoy.  In my opinion authors like James Patterson, Nelson Demille, Jeffrey Deaver have all gone way downhill (if they even write their own books anymore)....Pendergast has staying power as a series.

Pendergast and D'Agosta  keep things going although Candace was knocked up by his evil brother Diogenes and I think she is in hiding in a monk temple somewhere in Peru trying to keep the baby info a secret from Diogenes- who miraculously reappeared in the series after being pushed into a live volcano by Candace.

Splendid indeed!
Dude....seriously?  He's only on book 3 and doesn't want spoilers.

I finished The Outsider by Stephen King- I liked it quite a bit. I was glad that I did not know the connection to a previous story. It genuinely surprised me in a good way

The King Tides by James Swain was a fun and super easy read. Good beach book as there was not much thinking to be done. It was like Jack Reacher light. This was one of Amazons first reads that I get free for being a Prime member.

Currently reading two books which I am not a fan of doing but I am doing it. The Friends of Eddie Coyle which is supposed to be a ground breaking crime book. I became interested in it when I saw the character Raylan Givens in Justified reading it. Im pretty sure he mentions it during the series as well. So far it is entertaining.

Also reading The Troop by Nick Cutter. So far its interesting. I believe this may have been a Stephen King recommendation.

On Audible I am listening one of The Great Courses. It's called The Great Ideas of Philosophy, 2 by Daniel N. Robinson. Its kind of cool to listen to. I think I get about 40% of it while listening but I am only remembering 5% of it within 1 minute of turning it off. Hoping it will make me think more and broaden my knowledge, of what I am not sure.

I finished The Outsider by Stephen King- I liked it quite a bit. I was glad that I did not know the connection to a previous story. It genuinely surprised me in a good way

The King Tides by James Swain was a fun and super easy read. Good beach book as there was not much thinking to be done. It was like Jack Reacher light. This was one of Amazons first reads that I get free for being a Prime member.

Currently reading two books which I am not a fan of doing but I am doing it. The Friends of Eddie Coyle which is supposed to be a ground breaking crime book. I became interested in it when I saw the character Raylan Givens in Justified reading it. Im pretty sure he mentions it during the series as well. So far it is entertaining.

Also reading The Troop by Nick Cutter. So far its interesting. I believe this may have been a Stephen King recommendation.

On Audible I am listening one of The Great Courses. It's called The Great Ideas of Philosophy, 2 by Daniel N. Robinson. Its kind of cool to listen to. I think I get about 40% of it while listening but I am only remembering 5% of it within 1 minute of turning it off. Hoping it will make me think more and broaden my knowledge, of what I am not sure.
Please update on The Troop.  I tried it once, based on King's review, but didn't finish.  It felt...heavy-handed?  Manipulative?  Maybe it was just where I was at in life when I read it.  

Splendid indeed!
Constance

Big fan of all Stephen Hunter’s stuff, including the Bob Lee Swagger series. Reading G-Man right now which follows Bob Lee’s grandfather Charles as he hunts down John Dillinger and others. Hunter is great with dialogue. Makes you really feel like it’s 1934.

Big fan of all Stephen Hunter’s stuff, including the Bob Lee Swagger series. Reading G-Man right now which follows Bob Lee’s grandfather Charles as he hunts down John Dillinger and others. Hunter is great with dialogue. Makes you really feel like it’s 1934.
I like him, too. The Bob Lee series got a little tired for me (the NASCAR one and also the one in Japan felt lazy as hell), but G-Man was a big improvement. I liked the twist on Charles' character.

I like him, too. The Bob Lee series got a little tired for me (the NASCAR one and also the one in Japan felt lazy as hell), but G-Man was a big improvement. I liked the twist on Charles' character.
Agree Hunter didn’t work too hard, but a bit ashamed to say I enjoyed the Bristol book. The samurai sword one not so much.

I plowed through The Friends of Eddie Coyle. It was a pretty good crime novel. Nice and gritty I really got the feeling of the area. Lots of dialogue and its done well. I recommend it.

Now I can concentrate on The Troop

Andddd there’s a Bristol connection to this one. Really enjoying this one.

Just finished The Keep by Jennifer Egan (also wrote A Visit from the Goon Squad).  It was ... interesting.  

@shuke, I think it would be right in your wheelhouse.  

Recently read The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland.  I think someone mentioned it in here.  I'm a pretty big Stephenson fan, even though I'm usually left shuked by the science in his novels.  But I plow through that and enjoy the rest.  This novel fits that as well.  I'm guessing Galland contributed much of the romance and girly stuff, but that was fine.  Good book, not great.  Probably say 3.5 stars.

100 pages from finishing The Outsider and really, really like it so far.  Hopefully King finished this one decently.

Recently read The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland.  I think someone mentioned it in here.  I'm a pretty big Stephenson fan, even though I'm usually left shuked by the science in his novels.  But I plow through that and enjoy the rest.  This novel fits that as well.  I'm guessing Galland contributed much of the romance and girly stuff, but that was fine.  Good book, not great.  Probably say 3.5 stars.

100 pages from finishing The Outsider and really, really like it so far.  Hopefully King finished this one decently.
Just finished The Outsider....4/5 stars 

Working my through some Hammet that I hadn't read. As much as I love the film, The Thin Man book is pretty weak IMO. I am hoping Red Harvest is better. 

Now I'm doing a reread of Robert McCammon's Boys Life. I haven't read this in probably 25 years and had forgotten how good it is. If you like coming-of-age stories, check it out.
Finished Boy's Life and thoroughly enjoyed the reread.

Any Joe Landsdale fans here? I've had Paradise Sky on my Kindle for a long time and am just starting it. It's my first Landsdale, but I'm liking it so far. Any recommendations for his other books?

Uruk-Hai said:

Any Joe Landsdale fans here? I've had Paradise Sky on my Kindle for a long time and am just starting it. It's my first Landsdale, but I'm liking it so far. Any recommendations for his other books?
All of them, imo.  I am pretty shure @shuke turned me on to Lansdale in the original iteration of this thread.  The Hap and Leonard series is really fun, and his more serious novels are just excellent Texas noir.  I felt like True Detective Season 1 was very Lansdale-esque.  

I read Jonathan Wilson's book Inverting the Pyramid, about the history of soccer tactics, during the World Cup.  The stories about the origins of the game were fascinating but the book became more technical along with the game in the modern era.

I alternate between fiction and non-fiction so I moved onto The Key to Rebecca, Ken Follett's spy novel set in Egypt during WWII.  I like spy yarns, especially in historical settings and Follett is a solid writer who knows the plot rules for thrillers.  The Nazi spy was more than sufficiently devilish.

I just started Grape Olive Pig: Deep Travels through Spain's Food Culture by Matt Goulding. 

Uruk-Hai said:

Used to love Lansdale but haven’t read anything for a long time.  I’ll have to look at a list for my favorites.  

My last 4 books have been pretty diverse-

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

The Outsider by Stephen King

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- Larson

Have to say that the Outsider was probably my least favorite out of those four, but thats more of how much i enjoyed the other 3.

I’ve been catching up on years of not being an avid reader. Not really sure where to go next. Was thinking either the Shining (King), Snow Crash (Stephenson), Artemis (Weir) or Storm Front (Jim Butcher). 

For Truman, I listened to David McCullough's book on audio book over a decade ago.  May see if I can get the dust off that and listen to it again instead of my usual podcasts.
The audiobook was a bit more abridged than I remembered.  McCullough's dulcet voice is always great, but I may have to buy the book for a fuller appreciation.  But that will wait until this little project of mine is over.

I read Jean Edward Smith's Eisenhower in War and Peace when that was released, so I'm calling myself good with Eisenhower.

For JFK, I've got an old audio CD of Robert Dallek's An Unfinished Life that I'm listening to.  It's abridged, but not as bad as the Truman audiobook was.

Uruk-Hai said:

I’ve read “the Bottoms” and “A fine dark Line” and the first “Hap and Leonard” book (now a series on Sundance channel). They were all great books.

eta: I’ll have to check out Paradise sky next. Thanks.

MindCrime said:

Have to say that the Outsider was probably my least favorite out of those four, but thats more of how much i enjoyed the other 3.

I’ve been catching up on years of not being an avid reader. Not really sure where to go next. Was thinking either the Shining (King), Snow Crash (Stephenson), Artemis (Weir) or Storm Front (Jim Butcher). 
Stop what you are doing and start The Shining.

I felt like it was one of his stronger endings in a long time.  Enjoyed the whole novel.  4 out of 5.  

Now reading Written in Fire, the finale of the Brilliance Trilogy by Markus Sakey.  Excellent series for those who like sci-fi/speculative fiction.  Highly recommended.

It's one of my favorites.  Not a world-changer, but I have yet to read one of them I didn't enjoy.  In my opinion authors like James Patterson, Nelson Demille, Jeffrey Deaver have all gone way downhill (if they even write their own books anymore)....Pendergast has staying power as a series.
Not looking for that, just fun reads and these set up nicely with the quick chapters and decent pace.  Been trying to read more, but sometimes all I have is enough for a quick chapter while I take a dump, in between innings of my son's baseball games, etc.  and these books are good for that.  

Not looking for that, just fun reads and these set up nicely with the quick chapters and decent pace.  Been trying to read more, but sometimes all I have is enough for a quick chapter while I take a dump, in between innings of my son's baseball games, etc.  and these books are good for that.  
Exactly.  Perfect series for what you're wanting imo.

MindCrime said:

Go Storm Front. If you are like me, you’ll get hooked on the Harry Dresden books. Great series. 

Like I said, I haven't read anything by him for a while.  The Bottoms, A Fine Dark Line, and Edge of Dark Water are all very good.

I love his short story collections also, because there is such a good mix of genres.

And as someone mentioned, the Hap and Leonard novels are good fun reads full of action and weird characters.

But my all-time favorite is The Drive In.  But it's pretty weird and not for everyone.  From Amazon: "When a group of friends decided to spend a day at the world's largest drive-in theater horror fest, they expected to see tons of bloody murders, rampaging madmen, and mayhem, but only on the screen. But as a mysterious force traps all the patrons inside the drive-in, the worst in humanity comes out."

Users who are viewing this thread