What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (4 Viewers)

When I first started reading this thread (which was one or two versions/upgrades ago) you had recommended Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco as one of your favorite horror novels.   I tend to enjoy the same kind of horror that you do, and so I have kept my eyes open in used bookstores and thrift stores over the years but could never find it and it was out of print online.  Recently I stumbled across it online, and they are reprinting it.  I was able to suggest our library order it which they did and I got to read it.

Good book.  Incredibly strange and very sad in parts, but I liked it.  So thanks.
 Glad you liked it.  You could have just asked me to borrow it.

Novel-wise, just started John Boyne's A Ladder to the Sky.  Review refer to it as a bit dark and funny, a combination that frequently works for me.  About a wannabe author who lacks originality in his stories, so he tries to ingratiate himself with people who have stories and steals them for his novels.
  Finished "A Ladder to the Sky."  It was definitely dark and funny.  A bit contrived, but still hard to put down.  Not quite a book that I'd put at the top of my list for favorites from 2018, but enjoyable enough.

Started An American Marriage by Tayari Jones last night.  Bought it when it was a Kindle daily deal last week.  

Also bought the new translation of The Odyssey by Emily Wilson.  Heading out of town this weekend and planning to take that one with me.

Just finished Stephen King's The Outsider.  Overwhelming meh.  Interesting concept but the plot took forever to develop.  I really had thought King had reverted to his better storytelling days after I read Dr. Sleep, but this just bored me.
I liked the first half better than the second.

Will be starting TEXAS TOUGH in the morning.  This is the history of the Texas penal system.

Review

In the prison business, all roads lead to Texas. A pioneer in criminal justice severity―from assembly-line executions to supermax isolation, from mandatory sentencing to prison privatization―Texas is the most locked-down state in the most incarcerated country in the world. Texas Tough, a sweeping history of American imprisonment from the days of slavery to the present, explains how a plantation-based penal system once dismissed as barbaric became a template for the nation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outlander.  it finished second on  PBS favorite book contest so I gave it a try.  The two romantic leads were  too good to be true and boring. it's too bad because the book was well written and full of interesting characters. Zero chance i continue with the series.

Fields of Fire by James Webb.  Vietnam novel based on his Vietnam War experience.  Really really good so far.

2019 Books Read:

Jurassic Park - Michael Chricton

City of Endless Night - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Now reading:

Verses for the Dead - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

So in the que:

The Alchemist

American Gods

Storm Front

One Hundred Years of Solitude

I have 2 audible credits any other suggestions?

I just finished Borne by Jeff Vandermeer, the guy who wrote Annihilation and the rest of the Southern Reach series. I enjoyed this much more. It's tighter and easier for my pea brain to keep up with.

He's got a short story - Strange Bird - set in the same universe which I'll knock out next before moving onto Ben Winter's next novel.

Just started “The Shining” in my quest to read all major King novels. 
Yeah, this is in my queue. 

I pretty much only do iBooks now and started the Stand uncut version (apparently 400 extra pages?). Anyway, on 1100 out of 1800 or so digital pages right now.  I’m completely engrossed. When finished, I’ll have to go back and see what was added. There was one particularly long chapter with Trashcan Man that had a lot of weird side stories and I found out that had originally been cut. That’s been about the only 30 pages so far where I was reading as quickly as possible to get past, but in retrospect it was ok. 

After that, 11.22.63 is already bought (loved the miniseries), then maybe The Shining after. 

I pretty much only do iBooks now and started the Stand uncut version (apparently 400 extra pages?). Anyway, on 1100 out of 1800 or so digital pages right now.  I’m completely engrossed. When finished, I’ll have to go back and see what was added. There was one particularly long chapter with Trashcan Man that had a lot of weird side stories and I found out that had originally been cut. That’s been about the only 30 pages so far where I was reading as quickly as possible to get past, but in retrospect it was ok. 

After that, 11.22.63 is already bought (loved the miniseries), then maybe The Shining after. 
All of those are great books. You are going to love 11.22.63, I did like the series but boy they left stuff out.

Finished up The Stand uncut version. Great read - love the characters. It’s interesting that even though it was (overly) long, I was still interested in the characters and what they were doing. I cared way more about that than the plot itself. I can see why some didn’t care for the ending. It was fine, I didn’t mind it but it did feel oddly rushed considering how long the book was. 

Also best character is easily Kojak. 

Reading The Royal Road To Romance, the first book of Richard Halliburton. Have already read his second, The Glorious Adventure. Will likely read all of his travel books.

He was a traveling adventurer who wrote about them along with starring in a movie about some of his travels. He died at sea, age 39 attempting to sail across the Pacific from Hong Kong to San Francisco.

Just finished Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. It's not a small book, but it's really a series of related stories and not something that needs to be read in a continuous start to finish mode. A North American version of bad things that people have done to other people throughout history.

Started An American Marriage by Tayari Jones last night.  Bought it when it was a Kindle daily deal last week.  

Also bought the new translation of The Odyssey by Emily Wilson.  Heading out of town this weekend and planning to take that one with me.
The new translation of "The Odyssey" was great.  Read pretty fresh and modern, and a very accessible read.  The iambic pentameter gives it a good beat.  If The Odyssey is a read that anyone been meaning to get into, it's a version worth checking out.

Also continuing my way through biographies of the Presidents. Read the book on Bill Clinton from the American President Series.  There's not much out there that I thought was too worthy for Clinton. I think with a lot of these most recent Presidents, I'll need to head back to them as more documents get released.  I'm planning to read Jean Edward Smith's Bush on W next.  Feel like I'm in the homestretch.

I'm still working my way through "An American Marriage" due to the other reads.  It may be taking me awhile because it's not capturing me that much.

I'm traveling for work and want to buy a book to read on the airplane.  Any Dragonlance or similar types of books you would recommend?  Any other recommendations for books I can find at the airport bookstore?  Spy novels or something like that too.

I'm traveling for work and want to buy a book to read on the airplane.  Any Dragonlance or similar types of books you would recommend?  Any other recommendations for books I can find at the airport bookstore?  Spy novels or something like that too.
Someone above mention Storm Front by Jim Butcher. It's the first in a series, but is self-contained. It's short, has a lot of fantasy elements, and is also a detective novel. 

Free  Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi is free in digital format if you sign up or have already signed up for Tor's newsletter. ends mar16.

All of those are great books. You are going to love 11.22.63, I did like the series but boy they left stuff out.
After finishing the Stand, I did 11.22.63 in a couple of weeks and finished it up today. I liked both the book and the series kind of independent of each other - they changed so much that there was still a ton of mystery to the book even after seeing the Hulu series. 

Im guessing the Shining next for something a little shorter. Eventually want to do The Gunslinger series, but I don’t know if I’ve got 7 straight books in me right now. 

Recent ones:

Max Boot's 800 page tome on the history of guerilla warfare.  It covers asymmetric conflicts over a huge time frame from 2330 to modern day.  I don't agree with the author's politics but he was able to clearly and persuasively organize his case.  I learned a lot.

Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan.  A dreamlike novel based in WWII era New York.  Highly recommended.

David Itzkoff's biography of Robin Williams.  Like a lot of biographies, the story of the rise was more interesting than the fall.

Currently reading some Elmore Leonard as a palate cleanser.  Nobody writes better dialogue.

After finishing the Stand, I did 11.22.63 in a couple of weeks and finished it up today. I liked both the book and the series kind of independent of each other - they changed so much that there was still a ton of mystery to the book even after seeing the Hulu series. 

Im guessing the Shining next for something a little shorter. Eventually want to do The Gunslinger series, but I don’t know if I’ve got 7 straight books in me right now. 
Good for you man.  I'm so jealous you get King fresh.  

Recent ones:

Max Boot's 800 page tome on the history of guerilla warfare.  It covers asymmetric conflicts over a huge time frame from 2330 to modern day.  I don't agree with the author's politics but he was able to clearly and persuasively organize his case.  I learned a lot.

Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan.  A dreamlike novel based in WWII era New York.  Highly recommended.

David Itzkoff's biography of Robin Williams.  Like a lot of biographies, the story of the rise was more interesting than the fall.

Currently reading some Elmore Leonard as a palate cleanser.  Nobody writes better dialogue.
Am I crazy or have you been laying pretty low recently?  Nice to see the post. 

Am I crazy or have you been laying pretty low recently?  Nice to see the post. 
I declined a relo to Virginia last year so I haven't been working since late December.  Paradoxically, this led to less time spent farting around on the Internet.  I'm currently kicking the tires on retirement.  I just turned 59 so I can loot the 401K starting in August.   I honestly can say I haven't missed work a bit.

With baseball starting, I'm easing myself back into the board but I haven't opened the Political Forum.

I declined a relo to Virginia last year so I haven't been working since late December.  Paradoxically, this led to less time spent farting around on the Internet.  I'm currently kicking the tires on retirement.  I just turned 59 so I can loot the 401K starting in August.   I honestly can say I haven't missed work a bit.

With baseball starting, I'm easing myself back into the board but I haven't opened the Political Forum.
Congrats at being to the point of considering retirement, that is awesome

It is nice to have you back,  even if it is part time 

No reason to wade into the political forum, it's the same as it ever was 

I’ve been diving into King for the first time myself as well. In the middle of the Shining right now. May try 11.22.63 next. Working through a bunch of suggestions offered up in this thread - https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/758775-stephen-king-books/

Just finished Verses of the Dead. I've read the entire Pendergast series and many of Preston/Child's individually written books too. This one was disappointing to me, I didn't feel the S. FL (my roots) scenes were realistic and that overall it was a boring read.

I started Blood Meridian over the weekend.  I've never read any Cornac McCarthy, and felt like a hole in my reading.  This is some dark stuff.
How did/do you like it? Dark doesn''t even begin to describe it but that is what Cormac specializes in. 

Users who are viewing this thread