Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
shuke

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read)

Recommended Posts

I forgot how good of a writer Steinbeck was (as a teacher, I am so sick of Of Mice and Men). Cannery Row might be my favorite thing I've read by him. The 2nd chapter is maybe the best quick little chapter I've read. 

What can it profit a man to gain the whole world and to come to his property with a gastric ulcer, a blown prostate, and bifocals? Mack and the boys avoid the trap, walk around the poison, step over the noose while a generation of trapped, poisoned, and trussed-up men scream at them and call them no-goods, come-to-bad-ends, blots-on-the-town, thieves, rascals, bums. Our Father who art in nature, who has given the gift of survival to the coyote, the common brown rat, the English sparrow, the house-fly and the moth, must have a great and overwhelming love for no-goods and blots-on-the-town and bums, and Mack and the boys. Virtues and graces and laziness and zest. Our Father who art in nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Captain Fantastic said:

Below post thusly bumped. Happy reading!

😀

 

Thanks!!!

I just got Hostile Takeover

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Finished the Complacent Class by Tyler Cowan. Basically felt like he copied and pasted his blog, marginalrevolution, into a book. 
 

starting Delta V by Daniel Suarez. Space economy, asteroid mining hard sci fi. Three chapters in, fast paced and attention grabbing so far.

Edited by TheFatKid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, Captain Fantastic said:

For what it's worth (and please forgive the blatant self-promotion), two of my books will be taking advantage of the quarantined reading population with "free" promotions for Kindle editions on Amazon in the near future. 📙

Hostile Takeover will be available free for 48-hours on March 27-28.

Second Son will be available free from April 1-4.

Both are thrillers, but Hostile Takeover is more psychological suspense while Second Son is a mystery thriller. The books are "related" but they're independent stories (no crossover characters, etc.).

This will be the first time either book has been offered free.

If you like that sort of thing, please feel free to give one (or both) a shot. And if you end up reading it, please let me know what you think. I'm open to compliments and FBG-level roasting. 🔥 🤓

 

Quick bump of the above per earlier request for the current Second Son promo (available free until April 4th on Kindle / Kindle App). 

Hostile Takeover promo went well with more than 7,000 downloads in 48 hours. Second Son will surpass that with a slightly longer promo period. Not making any money off it but hoping the books will give quarantined readers a nice escape for a few hours. 😀

Thank you to all FBG's on this thread who downloaded. If you end up reading, would love to hear from you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2020 at 3:09 PM, Barry said:

Read and enjoyed the farseer trilogy years ago so now seems like a good time to continue with the tawny man trilogy. Half way through fool's errand and it's good.

Finished the trilogy. Very good. Doesn't have the violence or action of some fantasy sword tales but the characters are terrific.

Edited by Barry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 12:10 PM, TheFatKid said:

Finished the Complacent Class by Tyler Cowan. Basically felt like he copied and pasted his blog, marginalrevolution, into a book. 
 

starting Delta V by Daniel Suarez. Space economy, asteroid mining hard sci fi. Three chapters in, fast paced and attention grabbing so far.

Finished Delta V. I liked it. I read it after hearing interviews with Neal Stephenson and Andy Weir and they both recommended it. It quickly grabs your  attention, it weaves business, economics, law, and space exploration in one novel. I read it thinking it was hard sci fi, but I wonder if non sci fi readers would call it a techno thriller. One complaint, Suarez could have reduced the space prep by just writing 2 chapters on it and then stating “training montage” for the next six months. I would read another novel by Suarez.

 

now it is non fiction time. Started reading the Inevitable by Kevin Kelly. Kelly is one of the original contributors to Wired magazine. The inevitable is about the technologies that will inevitably change the world in the next 30 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stand

Was surprised how underwhelming it was.  1500 pages and i don’t think i could even visualize what most of the characters look like.  
 

I don’t get it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my 5 year pick my next book out of the pile and it is All the Light we Cannot See.  

I am about 60 pages in, and absolutely love it so far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Daywalker said:

The Stand

Was surprised how underwhelming it was.  1500 pages and i don’t think i could even visualize what most of the characters look like.  
 

I don’t get it.  

Loved it. Just fully fleshed out characters dealing with life post apocalypse. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where the Crawdads Sing - Had this sitting on my desk for a year and finally started reading it.  First work of fiction I've read this year and I'm not disappointed.  Actually look forward to sitting outside in the back yard with a cold beer and some tunes and turning pages on this one.

In March, when markets started tanking and the economy ground to a halt, I was reading Butterfly: From Refugee to Olympian - My Story of Rescue, Hope, and Triumph.  That really helped me put things in perspective.  Yeah, this is a scary time and I may lose my job, but this young lady fled the bombs and ISIS of Syria on a harrowing journey to become part of the 2016 Olympic Refugee team.  Incredible tale of resilience, determination and courage.  Highly recommend this one if you aren't familiar with the struggles of refugees.  Really eye opening.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Searchers

Somehow never read this before. Good western that kept me interested from start to finish. Included a forward that was equally interesting as it talked a fair amount about working with John Wayne and John Ford. 

Read it for free with Prime Reading. 

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I had my 5 year pick my next book out of the pile and it is All the Light we Cannot See.  

I am about 60 pages in, and absolutely love it so far.  

Great book.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I had my 5 year pick my next book out of the pile and it is All the Light we Cannot See.  

I am about 60 pages in, and absolutely love it so far.  

Tremendous book- probably a top 10 all time for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Great book.

 

37 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Tremendous book- probably a top 10 all time for me. 

It really is - loving the idea of the book and the language/descriptions.   The quick chapters and switching back and forth between the characters is perfect for me too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 2:48 PM, Don Quixote said:

Great book.

 

On 4/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, Ilov80s said:

Tremendous book- probably a top 10 all time for me. 

 

On 4/14/2020 at 3:34 PM, KarmaPolice said:

 

It really is - loving the idea of the book and the language/descriptions.   The quick chapters and switching back and forth between the characters is perfect for me too.  

halfway through, it's terrific. Thanks for the rec guys

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids.  

Really well written book.  Great characters and would building.  Highly recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading Marvel Comics starting with FF #1. About 40 issues in. Planning on reading all the main titles thru the 60s to start with. Around 800 or so issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 12:02 PM, bigmarc27 said:

Halfway through Dr Sleep. It’s aight. 

Finished. Still just aight. 
 

Going to do the Sprawl trilogy next - Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive. Been putting them off forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the quarantine, I've read

The Thirst (second to last Harry Hole thriller - excellent series and a good book)

The Colorado Kid (Stephen King "Hard Boiled Mystery" entry - eh)

Knife - reading now, latest Harry Hole.  Excellent, excellent excellent.  Best villain of the series, heart-wrenching story.  Can't recommend this series highly enough if you like detective/police mystery novels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, facook said:

During the quarantine, I've read

The Thirst (second to last Harry Hole thriller - excellent series and a good book)

The Colorado Kid (Stephen King "Hard Boiled Mystery" entry - eh)

Knife - reading now, latest Harry Hole.  Excellent, excellent excellent.  Best villain of the series, heart-wrenching story.  Can't recommend this series highly enough if you like detective/police mystery novels.

I still can’t believe there’s a serious book series about a detective named Harry Hole.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I still can’t believe there’s a serious book series about a detective named Harry Hole.

Apparently in Hole's native Norway it's pronounced "Hool-ee" according to my wife's Norwegian boss.  :D   But yeah, for an American it's a little jarring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, Daywalker said:

The Stand

Was surprised how underwhelming it was.  1500 pages and i don’t think i could even visualize what most of the characters look like.  
 

I don’t get it.  

Whoa, this shocks me. I bet it's been 20 years since I read that and I still picture most of the folks in that story. One of my favorites. I would have ended up with Fran.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 9:32 AM, General Malaise said:

Where the Crawdads Sing - Had this sitting on my desk for a year and finally started reading it.  First work of fiction I've read this year and I'm not disappointed.  Actually look forward to sitting outside in the back yard with a cold beer and some tunes and turning pages on this one.

In March, when markets started tanking and the economy ground to a halt, I was reading Butterfly: From Refugee to Olympian - My Story of Rescue, Hope, and Triumph.  That really helped me put things in perspective.  Yeah, this is a scary time and I may lose my job, but this young lady fled the bombs and ISIS of Syria on a harrowing journey to become part of the 2016 Olympic Refugee team.  Incredible tale of resilience, determination and courage.  Highly recommend this one if you aren't familiar with the struggles of refugees.  Really eye opening.  

Where the Crawdads sing is one of my favorite books in the last year. Kya is definitely a top five female literary character for me and might even be my number 1. I don't think I can praise this book enough. This book for sure moved me emotionally.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 1:34 PM, KarmaPolice said:

 

It really is - loving the idea of the book and the language/descriptions.   The quick chapters and switching back and forth between the characters is perfect for me too.  

I do like that style. I need to check this book out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished a short story by Richard Chizmar called Long Way Home. It was very similar to Stephen Kings novel The Outsider. Maybe to similar if you know what I mean. Curious as to which one came first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, KarmaPolice said:

 

It really is - loving the idea of the book and the language/descriptions.   The quick chapters and switching back and forth between the characters is perfect for me too.  

If you like that style, I would check out “Homegoing” — each chapter tells the story of a different descendant of one of the characters. It runs through ~300 years of history in about 300 pages, IIRC.

“Barkskins” is in the descendant style like Homegoing, but that book is about twice as long; so, I’m not sure it would be viewed as that quick.

Edited by Don Quixote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, prosopis said:

I just finished a short story by Richard Chizmar called Long Way Home. It was very similar to Stephen Kings novel The Outsider. Maybe to similar if you know what I mean. Curious as to which one came first.

The name of the story was Mischief in a book of short stories called The Long Way Home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, Captain Fantastic said:

For what it's worth (and please forgive the blatant self-promotion), two of my books will be taking advantage of the quarantined reading population with "free" promotions for Kindle editions on Amazon in the near future. 📙

Hostile Takeover will be available free for 48-hours on March 27-28.

Second Son will be available free from April 1-4.

Both are thrillers, but Hostile Takeover is more psychological suspense while Second Son is a mystery thriller. The books are "related" but they're independent stories (no crossover characters, etc.).

This will be the first time either book has been offered free.

If you like that sort of thing, please feel free to give one (or both) a shot. And if you end up reading it, please let me know what you think. I'm open to compliments and FBG-level roasting. 🔥 🤓

 

I have less than fifty pages left in Hostile Takeover. I am really enjoying it, nice job. I will say that there is something going on right now that had better resolve the way I want or I am going to be pissed. In my opinion that is a very good thing for a story, I am emotionally invested. I wont spoil anything here. I will probably pm you when I finish. I wish I had grabbed Second Son when it was available. I am curious as to how they are related with no crossover characters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished "The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History" by John Barry. Good read that covered far more than the pandemic itself. Covered the revolution of medicine in this country in the late 1800s to early 1900s, key characters in exquisite detail, WWI, Woodrow Wilson, and interesting scientific explanations regarding the immune system as well as the spread of disease. Lengthy read, but the author went above and beyond in his research. I particularly enjoyed his descriptions of the various leading scientists at the time and their contributions to science prior to, during, and after the pandemic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 7:25 PM, facook said:

During the quarantine, I've read

The Thirst (second to last Harry Hole thriller - excellent series and a good book)

The Colorado Kid (Stephen King "Hard Boiled Mystery" entry - eh)

Knife - reading now, latest Harry Hole.  Excellent, excellent excellent.  Best villain of the series, heart-wrenching story.  Can't recommend this series highly enough if you like detective/police mystery novels.

I've knocked all 12 of the Harry Hole's out. Noone crawls into a bourbon bottle like Harry.

The only Nesbo I did not enjoy was Macbeth.

Almost finished with John Irving's Until I Find You, another epic fantastic saga that has the wild Irving stamp all over it- you'll be laughing your balls off one minute and then crying like a baby the next! One of those books that you hate to see the final pages approaching.

Also read a quick Molly's Game after seeing the movie. Remarkable, I'll never look at Tobey Maguire the same way again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 11:32 PM, SouthJersey said:

Planning on tackling Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life next.  Was a gift from a history professor buddy when I asked for a recommendation about a recommendation about the battles of the Cuban revolution.

Finally finished the Che book.  It was a really solid book that felt like a text book at times with the amount of detail.  I thought it was a fair portrayal of Che too. Showed him as equal parts revolutionary with a high moral code to communist values, but also a straight up murder who used the revolution as an excuse.  It convinced me that probably the majority of people who wear Che shirts in the country have no clue about the guy other than the iconic photo.

 

Now reading The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000 which i'm really enjoying.  The Office is my favorite show and hearing the background stories of casting this and how they developed characters, worked the scripts, etc is really fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2020 at 11:49 PM, prosopis said:

I have less than fifty pages left in Hostile Takeover. I am really enjoying it, nice job. I will say that there is something going on right now that had better resolve the way I want or I am going to be pissed. In my opinion that is a very good thing for a story, I am emotionally invested. I wont spoil anything here. I will probably pm you when I finish. I wish I had grabbed Second Son when it was available. I am curious as to how they are related with no crossover characters. 

Thanks, prosopis! Very glad to hear you've been enjoying Hostile Takeover (and I hope the final 50 pages provided good resolution so as to avoid the pissing off 😉).

Seriously, thanks for investing your time on the book. Hope it was worth your while. 📖:suds:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Captain Fantastic said:

Thanks, prosopis! Very glad to hear you've been enjoying Hostile Takeover (and I hope the final 50 pages provided good resolution so as to avoid the pissing off 😉).

Seriously, thanks for investing your time on the book. Hope it was worth your while. 📖:suds:

Finished and a pm sent.

I did enjoy this story. It was a fun distraction in these times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 11:14 AM, msommer said:

Just started rereading the Jack Reacher series. Very entertaining

If you like that, I would suggest the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Lucas Davenport is the protagonist. 30ish books long now. 

Thank goodness for eBooks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 1:20 AM, bigmarc27 said:

Going to do the Sprawl trilogy next - Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

HOW CAN YOU PUT THEM OFF???????'

Love them, in particular Neuromancer. And the later Gibson stuff is also very good, from Pattern Recognition onwards, particularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Spike said:

If you like that, I would suggest the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Lucas Davenport is the protagonist. 30ish books long now. 

Thank goodness for eBooks. 

I like them, but Lucas is a bit of a Superman sometimes,. I actually like the VIrgil Flowers series (even) better.

Oh, and I made it half way through the Reacher series before I had to take a break. Still on it ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2020 at 1:34 AM, Ilov80s said:

I still can’t believe there’s a serious book series about a detective named Harry Hole.

The writer is Norwegian and most of it takes place in Norway. It might make more sense there ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any other James Rollins fans out there?  I've very much enjoyed his Sigma Force series.  Started his latest "The Last Odyssey" last night.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, msommer said:

The writer is Norwegian and most of it takes place in Norway. It might make more sense there ;) 

I assume he's a bear who dabbles in twinks, solves murders on the side

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 11:54 AM, SouthJersey said:

 

Now reading The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000 which i'm really enjoying.  The Office is my favorite show and hearing the background stories of casting this and how they developed characters, worked the scripts, etc is really fun.

This was good, not great. Gave some good insight into the show and the writing though wouldn't recommend unless you're a superfan of The Office.

 

Just started Hillbilly Elegy which so far is fascinating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading "Daisy Jones and the Six".  So far it's pretty good.  Interesting characters, creative story framework.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 6:03 PM, prosopis said:

Where the Crawdads sing is one of my favorite books in the last year. Kya is definitely a top five female literary character for me and might even be my number 1. I don't think I can praise this book enough. This book for sure moved me emotionally.

Yeah, that was a great read.  Who plays Kya in the movie? 

Reading Outliers now.  Solid so far but I think I'll return to fiction next.  Anyone read Gentleman from Moscow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Yeah, that was a great read.  Who plays Kya in the movie? 

Reading Outliers now.  Solid so far but I think I'll return to fiction next.  Anyone read Gentleman from Moscow?

Gentleman from Moscow was pretty good. I’d recommend it. Towles is a great writer. And it seems appropriate for our current state in isolation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. Absolute explosion of action at the end, similar to The Way of Kings. I guess this is just how Sanderson writes. I liked it quite a bit. On to Words of Radiance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished the oral biography of David Bowie by Dylan Jones.  Bowie is a tough subject for a biography since his public images were a shield from his inner self.   He comes off by most accounts as unfailingly polite, remembered fondly even by people who Bowie cut out of his life.  Like a lot of biographies, the artist's rise is the most interesting part.  It dragged a bit in the 250 pages that took place after 1979.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hillbilly Elegy was fantastic.  If you like memoirs I highly recommend this one.  It's right up there with Shoe Dog and Educated in the top memoirs I've read over the past few years.  Gives a good glimpse into life for white folks in the rust belt, a part of the country I'm far removed from.

Now reading Hunter S Thompson's book about the Hell's Angels which has been on my shelf for years.  2 chapters in i think this sucks, but let's see if it turns around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Goldfinch.

Engrossing.  Tartt really puts you right in the room.

I was just stunned that a crucial scene near the end was just glossed over.  Inexplicable.  A major letdown in an otherwise terrific read.

8/10

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.