Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
shuke

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read)

Just started reading Lonesome Dove again. It's gotta be the best western ever written.

Almost finished with Gaiman's Neverwhere. Superb book.

Any recommendations for another good Gaiman?

I'm right in the middle of "American Gods" by him and am really enjoying it. I've also read "Good Omens" that he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett which was a humorous look at the appocolypse. It has sort of a Douglas Adam's feel to it so if you read and enjoyed "Hitchhiker's Guide..." then youll enjoy it.

I'm right in the middle of "American Gods" by him and am really enjoying it. I've also read "Good Omens" that he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett which was a humorous look at the appocolypse. It has sort of a Douglas Adam's feel to it so if you read and enjoyed "Hitchhiker's Guide..." then youll enjoy it.
Gaiman's collection of short stories, Fragile Things, is pretty good. A couple of the stories still creep me out to remember them.

stardust and good omens

had jury duty this week, so during the lulls, started reading...

Hell at the Breech - Tom Franklin

This is a really well written historical novel, set in 1890s hard-luck Alabama. Echos of Faulkner, Charles Frazier, Larry McMurtry, and Cormac McCarthy.

Highly recommended for fans of those authors.

:confetti:

:rolleyes:

had jury duty this week, so during the lulls, started reading...

Hell at the Breech - Tom Franklin

This is a really well written historical novel, set in 1890s hard-luck Alabama. Echos of Faulkner, Charles Frazier, Larry McMurtry, and Cormac McCarthy.

Highly recommended for fans of those authors.

adding to list thanks

There is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed his Mind - Anthony Flew.

About half way through it and probably will read it again. Always like biographical type work that provides personal insight into life decisions.

Edited by Enraged Nerfball

Duma Key by Stephen King.

Thoroughly enjoying this book. It's King at about a Bag of Bones or Hearts in Atlantis level. Not perfect (Shining, The Stand, It), but good enough. And MUCH better than Cell or Buick 8.

Thoroughly enjoying this book. It's King at about a Bag of Bones or Hearts in Atlantis level. Not perfect (Shining, The Stand, It), but good enough. And MUCH better than Cell or Buick 8.

Agreed. This may be the best book I've read in a while. Not over the top horror, much more subtle and in many ways more disturbing (although the action is picking up significantly at around page 450

Just started reading Lonesome Dove again. It's gotta be the best western ever written.

:thumbup: I'm trying to read Comanche Moon, but I'm seriously considering ditching it and just reading Lonesome Dove again.

Duma Key by Stephen King.Thoroughly enjoying this book. It's King at about a Bag of Bones or Hearts in Atlantis level. Not perfect (Shining, The Stand, It), but good enough. And MUCH better than Cell or Buick 8.

:thumbup: I'm only into it about 120 pages, but I'm really enjoying it so far.Went into it with really low expectations based on the last few books of his I read...and I'm pleasantly suprised.

:thumbup: I'm trying to read Comanche Moon, but I'm seriously considering ditching it and just reading Lonesome Dove again.
Lonesome Dove is so good I can re-read it about every five years. I agree wif Bentley about it being the best western evah.McMurtry's other work is somewhat uneven, which is probably understandable; you can't be brilliant all the time. There's flashes of greatness in the sequels to The Last Picture Show and Cadillac Jack is a fun fun read. But he bogs down with annoying frequency in his musings about the evil and perplexing shrewdness of women, even if I agree with a lot of what he says.

Recent reads:

White Death - Clive Cussler

The Belgariad - David Eddings -- I liked this one a lot better as a teenager. Frankly, it kind of sucks now.

Hornet Flight - Ken Follett

A Long Way Gone - Ishmael Beah

From Publishers Weekly:

Starred Review. This absorbing account by a young man who, as a boy of 12, gets swept up in Sierra Leone's civil war goes beyond even the best journalistic efforts in revealing the life and mind of a child abducted into the horrors of warfare. Beah's harrowing journey transforms him overnight from a child enthralled by American hip-hop music and dance to an internal refugee bereft of family, wandering from village to village in a country grown deeply divided by the indiscriminate atrocities of unruly, sociopathic rebel and army forces. Beah then finds himself in the army—in a drug-filled life of casual mass slaughter that lasts until he is 15, when he's brought to a rehabilitation center sponsored by UNICEF and partnering NGOs.

-- Beah isn't the greatest writer in the world, but it's a rather unique perspective of a horrible situation. It's embarassing that in the 21st century, this kind of stuff still goes on all over the world.

Duma Key by Stephen King.Thoroughly enjoying this book. It's King at about a Bag of Bones or Hearts in Atlantis level. Not perfect (Shining, The Stand, It), but good enough. And MUCH better than Cell or Buick 8.

:blackdot: I'm only into it about 120 pages, but I'm really enjoying it so far.Went into it with really low expectations based on the last few books of his I read...and I'm pleasantly suprised.
Finished Duma Key this past weekend and really liked it.Just picked up Fargo Rock City on Tremendous Upside's recommendation.

I really like Stephen King as a book critic. His write-ups are usually right on target with my tastes. He picked Twilight by William Gay as his best book of 2007...so I'm 3/4 of the way through that. It's an easy read. Fast paced...sort of a murder/chase thriller set in the back woods of the south. The character of Sutter is really good...but the coincidences and skills of a couple of the characters are pretty hokey. I'd give it an 9 if you turn off the BS meter and just enjoy it. The writing is really, really good.

Next up is In Pale Battalions by Paul Goddard.

Just picked up Fargo Rock City on Tremendous Upside's recommendation.

:diamond:Hope you like it
I have liked all of Klosterman's books. If you like Fargo Rock City you might want to check out Killing Yourself to Live and/or Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.I just finnished Meat Market by Bruce Feldman. Its and insiders view of college recruiting at Ole Miss. I liked it.

:confused:

Hope you like it

I have liked all of Klosterman's books. If you like Fargo Rock City you might want to check out Killing Yourself to Live and/or Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.
Yeah, I've loved them all...

Read them all more than once actually...

In a similar vein (more memoirish than pop culture analysis, but same music based tone), I just finished Love is a Mix Tape, a memoir by rock writer Rob Sheffield about meeting and marrying the girl of his dreams, only to have her drop dead in his arms at the age of 31

It's got it's "getting dusty in here" moments, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes Klosterman or music (especially 90s indie stuff)

:confused:

Hope you like it

I have liked all of Klosterman's books. If you like Fargo Rock City you might want to check out Killing Yourself to Live and/or Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.
Yeah, I've loved them all...

Read them all more than once actually...

In a similar vein (more memoirish than pop culture analysis, but same music based tone), I just finished Love is a Mix Tape, a memoir by rock writer Rob Sheffield about meeting and marrying the girl of his dreams, only to have her drop dead in his arms at the age of 31

It's got it's "getting dusty in here" moments, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes Klosterman or music (especially 90s indie stuff)

I read about that sometime ago and forgot to pick it up.

[Norm McDonald] Note to self...[/Norm McDonald]

Another "memoir" I read recently was "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell." Not for the faint of heart. The guy is a self admitted #####. If half his stories are true he has lived an interesting life.

Meh. I'd read a lot of good things about Carrol, but this didn't really live up to my expectations.

Time for a thriller.

About 40 pages into Killer On The Road by James Ellroy. It's a first-person account of a serial killer, and is pretty disturbing.

First entry in this long thread, but just finishing up Hit and Run, the story of Jon Peters and Peter Guber and how they ran Columbia Pictures into the ground after Sony bought the studio. Good read and some interesting insight into the business.

Thinking I may reread Bob Woodward's Shadow next.

Just finished...

Saturday by Ian McEwan

My first McEwan and I really liked it. Has anyone read any of his other stuff? Any opinions?

:goodposting:

I'm only into it about 120 pages, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Went into it with really low expectations based on the last few books of his I read...and I'm pleasantly suprised.

Finished Duma Key this past weekend and really liked it.

Duma Key was great. It makes up for Cell and Lisey's Story. Well at least for Cell.

For anyone that finished Duma Key and has read Insomnia and the Dark Tower series...

Rainbow Six - Clancy

Havent read Clancy in a while, after reading a few of his in a row went to some other authors. Now that im back im remembering why I read him again, good stuff.

Rainbow Six - Clancy

Havent read Clancy in a while, after reading a few of his in a row went to some other authors. Now that im back im remembering why I read him again, good stuff.

I haven't read a lot of Clancy, but of the few I've read Rainbow Six was the best. Good book. :thumbup:

Rainbow Six - Clancy

I haven't read a lot of Clancy, but of the few I've read Rainbow Six was the best. Good book. :thumbup:
:rant:

Iron Brigade by Jame Nolan

What's that about?
Iron Brigade was a famous brigade in the Civil War. Mostly made up of regiments from the Midwest, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan

What's that about?
Iron Brigade was a famous brigade in the Civil War. Mostly made up of regiments from the Midwest, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan
That's what I thought. That sounds way cool. They had a nasty dustup on Day 1 at Gettysburg.

What's that about?
That's what I thought. That sounds way cool. They had a nasty dustup on Day 1 at Gettysburg.
I believe so, also second bull run and sharpsburg. Only at sharpsburg right now.

:goodposting:

I'm only into it about 120 pages, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Went into it with really low expectations based on the last few books of his I read...and I'm pleasantly suprised.

Finished Duma Key this past weekend and really liked it.

Duma Key was great. It makes up for Cell and Lisey's Story. Well at least for Cell.

For anyone that finished Duma Key and has read Insomnia and the Dark Tower series...

Interesting take...I actually thought Lisey's Story was pretty entertaining.

One question for those of you who have finished Duma Key:

TIA

Edited by facook

Just dug into The Audacity of Hope by our 44th President. It's the first bit of non-fiction I've read in a while, so it's taking an adjustment.

It's non-fiction?

Just dug into The Audacity of Hope by our 44th President. It's the first bit of non-fiction I've read in a while, so it's taking an adjustment.

It's non-fiction?

:rimshot:

You're welcome.

It's non-fiction?
Yeah, I was going to nip that in the bud with my original post, but figured we were all grown-ups around here. :yes:

Finished Iron Council. Not bad. (Not sure why folks seem so down on The Scar and this one. Perdido was good, but I don't think its head and shoulders above the others. They're all of a piece.)

On to A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

It's non-fiction?
Yeah, I was going to nip that in the bud with my original post, but figured we were all grown-ups around here. :yes:
Driveway still icy?

It's non-fiction?
Driveway still icy?
No, actually. The balmy weather yesterday took care of that. Thanks for sending it this way.

:thumbup:Hope you like it
:thumbup: My reading of this was delayed by the flu and a cold, but I finally finished it. I'm a couple of years older than Klosterman but grew up in the Hair Metal years so I really got a kick out it. I'll give some of his other stuff a try.Finished in James Patterson's 7th Heaven in 1 day. It's OK, better than a lot of his stuff has been lately but still mediocre.Starting "I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down" by William Gay. Also for Stephen King short story fans...his new short story collection "Just Past Sunset" will be out in November :no: Edited by coldchill

Just finished The Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon. Man that took a while, but was a good read. The two books tie together nicely, but what a massive tome.

Wrapping up The Last Templar ...

Did you like this book?