What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

Just finished John Stossel's autobiography -- which reminds me, it's a couple weeks overdue at the library. :bag:
I bet it wouldn't be if libraries were privatized.

Just finished John Stossel's autobiography -- which reminds me, it's a couple weeks overdue at the library. :bag:
I bet it wouldn't be if libraries were privatized.
Well, I just returned The Aristocrats to Blockbuster several weeks late as well.I suck at keeping track of things and remembering to do things.

Da Vinci Code. I got it for Christmas. I wasn't all that excited about getting in to it, but I thought I'd read it before the movie came out. I read Angels and Demons a couple of years ago. It wasn't too bad.

I keep reading on these boards and other places about Ender's Game.  What's the book about?  Worth the read?  I'd hate to get sucked into another multi-book series, but if it's that good...
The Ender series kind of goes off on a different, more philosophical path after Speaker for the Dead (the 2nd book), so you can probably feel like you've not missed out on anything if you only read the first two books. I've enjoyed reading the later books (The "Shadow" stuff), but the first two really kind of stand alone. If you're a SciFi fan, I don't see how you can go through life without reading them.As for The Know-it-all....it was an enjoyable, reflective read. Lots of funny, "I can relate" moments. And if you like trivia, well, this is a book for you.
I agree. And you will probably read Ender's Game in a weekend, 4-5 days tops. It is that good. But yeah, after you read Speaker for the Dead and Ender's Shadow, you don't have to read anymore, Card kinda starts churning them out too fast. But his early stuff including the early Alvin Maker books are all excellent.

Since last posting here, I've read:

Plato's Symposium

Simple Taoism

Vonnegut's Man Without a Country

The Four Agreements

Still muddling my way through Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49.

Last edited by a moderator:
Books I finished in February and my thoughts -

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - very good, a little over-hyped :thumbup:

Dracula by Bram Stoker - a classic that doesn't bore, rare for me :thumbup:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - still not sure if I like her :mellow:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon - excellent book :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ghostwritten by David Mitchell - I've read two of his, loved them both :thumbup: :thumbup:

Deception Point by Dan Brown - meh :mellow:

A few Clive Cussler novels - I have this strange compulsion to read all of his books, not sure why :mellow:

Currently reading The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell. I'd say it's above average, but I'd only recommend it to people who are somewhat interested in economics.

A book every Baseball fan should read: Moneyball.

A book every Football fan should read: The Education of a Coach.

Currently reading The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell.  I'd say it's above average, but I'd only recommend it to people who are somewhat interested in economics.
I was going to read this but then I heard it called "popular sociology" and "basically, it tries to argue that the slippery slope is true"those reviews were enough to turn me off.

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - very good, a little over-hyped  :thumbup:
Couldn't finish it. Too slow and quiet for a vampire novel (or, I should say, at least the first hundred pages were) :shrug:
Ghostwritten by David Mitchell - I've read two of his, loved them both  :thumbup:   :thumbup:
I'm guessing the "other one" was Cloud Atlas? I just finished an advance copy of his newest novel, Black Swan Green. Excellent book! Check it out when it goes on sale later this month. :thumbup:

Now reading:

Play By Play by Neil Conan (minor league baseball broadcasting memoir) ..meh.

:mellow:

Just read:

Ego & Hubris: The Michael Malice Story by Harvey Pekar (of American Splendor fame) ...interesting...but derivative of Pekar's comic book shtick, and Malice comes off as wholly unlikeable.

:mellow:

Next up:

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

:popcorn:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - very good, a little over-hyped  :thumbup:
Couldn't finish it. Too slow and quiet for a vampire novel (or, I should say, at least the first hundred pages were) :shrug:
Ghostwritten by David Mitchell - I've read two of his, loved them both  :thumbup:   :thumbup:
I'm guessing the "other one" was Cloud Atlas? I just finished an advance copy of his newest novel, Black Swan Green. Excellent book! Check it out when it goes on sale later this month. :thumbup:
I read about 150 pages of The Historian before quitting the first time. Then a month later I gave it another go and flew through it. I had read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon a few months earlier and had hoped that this would compare to it. It didn't, but it was still good.And yes, Cloud Atlas is the other David Mitchell I have read. I really liked both of them. I'm going to read Number9dream next, but I'm not expecting much as I have yet to see someone that liked it as much as the other two. Once I finish that one I will definitely catch his new one. He has made my list of authors that I read everything they write.

Reading a Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Mainly because of a thread similar to this one on this board.

I was a big fan of Raymond E. Feist, but Martin is better. New favorite author possibly.

Thoughts?
Halfway through, I'm finally starting to get a picture of what this book's about - a conspiracy that has something to do with the postal service. I don't like his style of writing and it appears soulless so far. Seems to reflect the culture and decade it was written in very well, though (Hollywood in the 60s).

Thoughts?
Halfway through, I'm finally starting to get a picture of what this book's about - a conspiracy that has something to do with the postal service. I don't like his style of writing and it appears soulless so far. Seems to reflect the culture and decade it was written in very well, though (Hollywood in the 60s).
I had to force myself to get through Vineland and was wondering if that was a bad place to start Pynchon of if it's typical of his works.By the way, here is a hilarious review of Crying Lot on Amazon:

Who Cares?, February 20, 2006

Reviewer: catch 22 rules "catch22rules"

This book comes across as severely dated and lame. All the people who love this book are either nerds who think they're in on Pynchon's "joke" or they are nerds who havent read a good book like Catch-22. 
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thoughts?
I had to force myself to get through Vineland and was wondering if that was a bad place to start Pynchon of if it's typical of his works.By the way, here is a hilarious review of Crying Lot on Amazon:

This book comes across as severely dated and lame. All the people who love this book are either nerds who think they're in on Pynchon's "joke" or they are nerds who havent read a good book like Catch-22. 
:thumbup: Excellent shtick.

Thoughts?

:lmao: That's funny.Glad to know I'm not alone. Won't bother with Vineland then, which I was contemplating. GB Crying Lot not being long (138 pages). I will finish it, though.

Recently finished:

Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connelly (decent legal thriller)

Blood of Angels - Reed Arvin (good legal thriller, set in Nashville)

Freakanomics - Steven Levitt (meh, nothing particularly Earth shattering)

Reading a Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Mainly because of a thread similar to this one on this board.

I was a big fan of Raymond E. Feist, but Martin is better. New favorite author possibly.
I really like Feist too, his stories move. One thing that bugs me is all his characters have hyper competence syndrome.

Just finished "The Millionaire Mind" by Thomas J. Stanley.

It's an older book written as a follow up to his earlier best seller "The Millionaire Next Door".

Very good read, a bit long winded at times, but time well spent in reading it.

Mason & Dixon is very, very good.
I've nearly purchased this numerous times. Anything you could relate it to? Or does it just completely stand alone?Some books I've read recently:

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson [pretty good, but I'm not really a sci-fi kinda guy]

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell :thumbup: [REALLY enjoyed the interwoven stories]

Death in Paradise - Robert Parker [Parker's good for quick, fun mysteries]

California Girl - T. Jefferson Parker [Good read with a couple of cool twists, although I nailed the "surprise ending" half-way through]

Cell - Stephen King :mellow: [not great, not horrible]

Swan Song - Robert McCammon [my current read, about 100 pages in, got it based on the "100 Best Horrors" Shuke posted in another thread. really enjoying it so far]

is there a jealous smiley? thanks for the heads-up. added to my next-list.

Also perusing Smithsonian Baseball. Awesome book for collectors or just baseball history buffs.
thanks for the tip. not sure how the vaunted Amazon recommendations missed this one for me.currently reading...

Revolution - by George Barna. The future of the American Christian Church?

Working through the Brother Cadfael series, by Ellis Peters (link is to first book in the series). Murder mysteries, historical fiction set in 12th century England.

Reading a Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin.  Mainly because of a thread similar to this one on this board. 

I was a big fan of Raymond E. Feist, but Martin is better.  New favorite author possibly.
I really like Feist too, his stories move. One thing that bugs me is all his characters have hyper competence syndrome.
This is true. They are almost too good at their jobs. But they are entertaining and he sets a good atmosphere.

Just finished Julian Barnes' Arthur and George. Starts off as a dual biography -- one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; the other of George Edalji, an English solicitor. Main thrust of the book is Sir Doyle's attempt to clear Edalji of a crime he is accused and convicted of. Good writing, good story -- excellent book.

:thumbup:

I'm also in the middle of Taylor Branch's At Canaan's Edge. The final volume of his trilogy on the Civil Rights Movement. I'm a big fan of the first two volumes. The third volume is just as good.

Master Class in Figure Drawing- Robert Beverly Hale

The Creative Process-Edited by Brewster Ghiselin- selection of short essays from artists, writers and thinkers

Thoughts?

:lmao: That's funny.Glad to know I'm not alone. Won't bother with Vineland then, which I was contemplating. GB Crying Lot not being long (138 pages). I will finish it, though.
So you wouldn't even recommend it at 138 pages?

Current queue:

The Beach - Alex Garland

Everything's Eventual - Stephen King

Deliverance - James Dickey

Bagombo Snuff Box - Kurt Vonnegut

Angry Candy - Harlan Ellison

Mystery Walk - Robert R. McCammon

Dune - Frank Herbert

Best of Cemetary Dance - anthology Richard Chizmar ed

Great and Secret Show - Clive Barker

Friday Night Lights - HG Bissinger

Nausea - Jean-Paul Sarte

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

The Bible Unearthed - Finkelstein and Silberman. Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts. The Bible Unearthed gives the latest scholarly views on the origins of the Hebrew Bible and the origins of Israel.

Next up...

The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark - Dennis MacDonald

Current queue:

The Beach - Alex Garland

Everything's Eventual - Stephen King

Deliverance - James Dickey

Bagombo Snuff Box - Kurt Vonnegut

Angry Candy - Harlan Ellison

Mystery Walk - Robert R. McCammon

Dune - Frank Herbert

Best of Cemetary Dance - anthology Richard Chizmar ed

Great and Secret Show - Clive Barker

Friday Night Lights - HG Bissinger

Nausea - Jean-Paul Sarte

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
This is my favorite John Irving book. I think I remember that the critics hated it when it came out. I think it's as good as The World According to Garp, and I liked the story more.

I finished Neverwhere last month and it was excellent. Picked up American Gods and Stardust to read more of Gaiman's stuff.

Have Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell based upon recommendations from the fantasy genre thread and the latest of the Repairman Jack series "infernal" going right now.

Shadow of the Wind was excellent for those looking for a great read. Really got into that one. The Historian was good and kept the storyline going for such a long book. It is slow, but a lot of retrospective. I liked the international sense of the book, being set in much of eastern Europe.

I also read all of Cussler's book once I started on them, but he lost me in the last several years.

Another author I read all of his books one summer, at least the Spencer novels, is Robert Parker. Great detective novels without being serious "whodunits"

Thoughts?

So you wouldn't even recommend it at 138 pages?
Right now, I'd say no, but I'll report back when I finish it.

Current queue:

The Beach  - Alex Garland

Everything's Eventual  - Stephen King

Deliverance  - James Dickey

Bagombo Snuff Box  - Kurt Vonnegut

Angry Candy  - Harlan Ellison

Mystery Walk  - Robert R. McCammon

Dune  - Frank Herbert

Best of Cemetary Dance  - anthology Richard Chizmar ed

Great and Secret Show  - Clive Barker

Friday Night Lights  - HG Bissinger

Nausea  - Jean-Paul Sarte

A Prayer for Owen Meany  - John Irving
This is my favorite John Irving book. I think I remember that the critics hated it when it came out. I think it's as good as The World According to Garp, and I liked the story more.
Huge Irving fan here, but Owen Meany was my least favorite. All the similarities to Christ were too easy, IMO.

I'm going to finish "Fatal" by Michael Palmer today.

This is first time I've ever read anything by this guy. Somebody recommended this book to me and it's keeping my interest, but there's something about this guy's writing style that I don't like....not sure how to explain it. Unless it finishes strong, I doubt it would be high on any list of books I would recommend to anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread