What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (6 Viewers)

Just started "Blood Meridian" last night as I like McCarthy and haven't read this one, arguably his best. I like the style quite a bit so far (about 40 pages in) and the story is surprisingly good for how "briefly told" it is.
I'm at p. 186 and finding this a bit of a slog. Just relentlessly violent to the point of repetitiveness. Although I admit that I haven't been reading as closely as I should and may be missing a lot.
It's reminding me of a videogame I played on the Apple 2E as a kid called "Wastelands" where you create a character and roam through a post-apocalyptic area fighting, pillaging, and trying to avoid bands of marauders who would kill you. This book is obviously not set in such a time, but the general aimlessness and purposelessness of that game is similar to the Kid in this book up to where i am (he's just joined the army). Sort of wandering around, acting without premeditation and also without regard for consequences. Weird, I know. But I like it so far. The first 5 pages were written in an almost impossible style and I thought "I sure hope the book doesn't continue like this or I'll have a headache." Then he ends up in Galveston and it smooths out a lot. I also like it (as I like much of CM's work) because I'm very familiar with all the areas he talks about. I grew up in East Texas and spent a fair amount of time in Nachadoches, so when the Kid rides along and "is no longer among the pine trees" I can imagine the exact point when I'm driving on 79 or 290 where the East Texas pines turn in to the Central Texas cedar just as I could feel the dust and heat of Del Rio in No Country because I've spent a lot of time there in the middle of the summer. The environments of his writing make a lot of sense to me.
Let me know when you finish it, I've got a question about the end.

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Less than satisfied with this one. Sanderson is the writer finishing up the Robert Jordan series Wheel of Time. While his trilogy was really good, his two stand-alones have really disappointed me. His biggest issue, and it's present in his trilogy as well, is the pacing. His story will often go quiet for upwards of 200 pages, have a quick burst of action, and then slip right back into dull for another long stretch. Later this year, he's publishing the first book in a new ten-book series. Since I don't read series until they are finished, I think I am done with Sanderson for a while.

And for Carlos Ruiz Zafon fans, he is releasing another novel in May, The Prince of Mist. This is actually his first novel, just now being translated to English.

i am by no means a fan of the fantasy genre, but i read "the hobbit" along with some of my students and absolutely loved it. i'm probably the only person in the world not to have read/seen "the lord of the rings" trilogy, but "the hobbit" was so good i was inspired to start reading them. i'm about 2/3 of the way through the "the fellowship of the ring". it's pretty decent, but nowhere near as good as "the hobbit" imo.
I felt the same way until I finished the trilogy and then I realized that the Fellowship >>>> Hobbit, just has more backstory that needs to be introduced.
I never got through the trilogy, but this is what I heard as well. The trilogy is a grand story of good vs. evil, where the Hobbit is just a bunch of people stealing a dragon's treasure.

Just picked the Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

Got the Penguin translation - anyone have a specific translation they'd recommend?

Not nearly as highbrow as some of the fare in this thread, but I just read Grisham's Playing for Pizza. Very quick and pretty entertaining read about football and Italian food.

Just started "Blood Meridian" last night as I like McCarthy and haven't read this one, arguably his best. I like the style quite a bit so far (about 40 pages in) and the story is surprisingly good for how "briefly told" it is.
I'm at p. 186 and finding this a bit of a slog. Just relentlessly violent to the point of repetitiveness. Although I admit that I haven't been reading as closely as I should and may be missing a lot.
It's reminding me of a videogame I played on the Apple 2E as a kid called "Wastelands" where you create a character and roam through a post-apocalyptic area fighting, pillaging, and trying to avoid bands of marauders who would kill you. This book is obviously not set in such a time, but the general aimlessness and purposelessness of that game is similar to the Kid in this book up to where i am (he's just joined the army). Sort of wandering around, acting without premeditation and also without regard for consequences. Weird, I know. But I like it so far. The first 5 pages were written in an almost impossible style and I thought "I sure hope the book doesn't continue like this or I'll have a headache." Then he ends up in Galveston and it smooths out a lot. I also like it (as I like much of CM's work) because I'm very familiar with all the areas he talks about. I grew up in East Texas and spent a fair amount of time in Nachadoches, so when the Kid rides along and "is no longer among the pine trees" I can imagine the exact point when I'm driving on 79 or 290 where the East Texas pines turn in to the Central Texas cedar just as I could feel the dust and heat of Del Rio in No Country because I've spent a lot of time there in the middle of the summer. The environments of his writing make a lot of sense to me.
Let me know when you finish it, I've got a question about the end.
You mean the epilogue? We've discussed it on here before if you can find it.

Not nearly as highbrow as some of the fare in this thread, but I just read Grisham's Playing for Pizza. Very quick and pretty entertaining read about football and Italian food.
This post makes me feel a little ashamed. FTR, I read lots and lots of lowbrow stuff.

If so, I'll try to use the search function in this thread and look for the info.
No, the epilogue is after what you are referring to.
Thanks. I searched through the thread and found the portion you and TANAC are discussing the epilogue. My question is, I suppose, more elementary.mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Is there a general consensus on who/what The Judge is? Seems to be supernatural or the Devil, but from the few McCarthy books I've read, that doesn't really seem to be a style that McCarthy uses, thus my confusion.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

I think I'm going to have to re-read the book, though.

If so, I'll try to use the search function in this thread and look for the info.
No, the epilogue is after what you are referring to.
Thanks. I searched through the thread and found the portion you and TANAC are discussing the epilogue. My question is, I suppose, more elementary.mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Is there a general consensus on who/what The Judge is? Seems to be supernatural or the Devil, but from the few McCarthy books I've read, that doesn't really seem to be a style that McCarthy uses, thus my confusion.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

I think I'm going to have to re-read the book, though.
There really isn't much of a consensus as to who...or "what"...the Judge is. It's part of the horror or mystery to try and interpret. The devil? A demon? The evil side of human existence? Just a baaaad dude?I know this...the next time you read it and come to the description - try your best to NOT picture the Reaper from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

I only made it through 100 pages and stopped. I know it is a classic, I just didn't like it.
So I finished Blood Meridian but I also didn't like it. I won't go into my criticisms other than to say that I felt that it was a lot like The Road (which I loved), except that book resonated with me and Blood Meridian did not. As I mentioned above, I did not read super closely (I mostly read it on the bus), so given it's modern classic status and the raves from folks here, I will most likely reread at some later juncture.I just started The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro and so far it's a welcome relief from the grueling experience of Blood Meridian.

D_House said:
I only made it through 100 pages and stopped. I know it is a classic, I just didn't like it.
So I finished Blood Meridian but I also didn't like it. I won't go into my criticisms other than to say that I felt that it was a lot like The Road (which I loved), except that book resonated with me and Blood Meridian did not. As I mentioned above, I did not read super closely (I mostly read it on the bus), so given it's modern classic status and the raves from folks here, I will most likely reread at some later juncture.I just started The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro and so far it's a welcome relief from the grueling experience of Blood Meridian.
Yep, I loved The Road. Couldn't put it down. And loved No Country For Old Men almost as much. Just didn't think Blood Meridian was very good. :(

The Virgin Suicides is absolutely horrible so far. Worst book I've started since The Russian Debutante's Handbook. But I'm going to finish it just so I can tear it up at book club.

D_House said:
Yep, I loved The Road. Couldn't put it down. And loved No Country For Old Men almost as much. Just didn't think Blood Meridian was very good. :thumbup:
I'm curious about this. I think Meridian is much deeper, more developed and more intense than The Road and No Country. But it's difficult reading...especially at the beginning. Do you think that tuned you out a bit? The first time I read Meridian I remember being 25 pages in and having absolutely nooooo clue what I just read. The next time I read it...it was fairly easy to comprehend and it really helped the story out to get that part of the stage set. I can't imagine reading this on a bus. When I read in those situations I'm able to concentrate for about a page at a time at most. Meridian is an "immersion" book. Part of the allure and power of the story is the pacing and intensity. I would think that could easily get lost if you read 10 pages at a time instead of, say, 60 or so. The Road and No Country aren't like that at all. Read 2 paragraphs and come back. Piece of cake. You know where you are and won't miss anything. Those two books are written so well that even the most casual reader will catch all the themes and motivations.

You say Meridian did resonate. That's legit. Especially if you're going to compare it to a novel about the connection of a father and son. Any father (or son for that matter) will having strong emotional ties to a story like that. A western gore fest isn't going to have that connection. But Meridian is based, in large part, on actual events and actual places. The story behind the story is fascinating.

I'm rambling. Go read All the Pretty Horses. It's freaking great too. And totally different from The Road or Blood Meridian or No Country. The elements of "evil" aren't nearly as present in the Border Trilogy...

LOL, I almost did a Countdown to TAN in my last post. It is hard to read, although I've made it through Pynchon before so I don't think it was that. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for a Western Gore Fest? :shrug: I may try All the Pretty Horses.

Just finished "Heart Shaped Box" last night... still trying to digest it I guess. My first reaction was that it started with a whimper...exploded in the middle...and sort of flamed out at the end.

I just began "Conversations with the Devil"...and through 3 chapters I can already tell this is going to be the more entertaining book. Cant wait to jump back into it tonight..

I'm finishing up Donaldson's Second Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant. This is a re-read, but it had been 20 years or so since I last read it. My God, I had forgotten how much he used arcane words, awkward similes, and psychological "insight" into his main characters. I'm not stupid, nor do I mind challenging reading but his writing is so awkward that it sometimes becomes a chore. There are actually web pages out their that detail his (mis)use of words, and (mis)use of simile & analogy.

That's the bad. The good is that he has really good ideas, writes suspenseful scenes pretty well, and doesn't do happily-ever-after (a real novelty when these books first came out).

Anyway, went on a mini shopping spree at Amazon today. I got:

"Horns" - Joe Hill

"A Dark Matter" - Peter Straub

"Black Hills" - Dan Simmons

Just finished "Heart Shaped Box" last night... still trying to digest it I guess. My first reaction was that it started with a whimper...exploded in the middle...and sort of flamed out at the end.
I really liked this. He's already a better writer than his dad was early in his career. Hill's also got a short story collection out there called "20th Century Ghosts" that has some of the most original & unsettling stories I've ever read in it.

Generation A by Douglas Coupland.

It was alright. I saw it at the library, and didn't really want to read it. I remember liking Generation X so much, and have been disappointed by pretty much everything since Girlfriend in a Coma. It was better IMO everything since then, but still, a sequel (in theme if not characters) just isn't the right move I think.

If it was the first time I read his work, I probably would have liked it a lot more than I did. He needs to pick a new theme to work with every once in a while.
I love Coupland's novels, and feel his books after Girlfriend In A Coma are even superior to his early work. Instead of being cut-and-paste style he concentrated themes better and made more subtle observations with bolder statements/themes in each novel. Miss Wyoming and All Families Are Psychotic are my two favorite Coupland novels and are masterpieces IMO (as is Generation X). Thanks for reminding me Generation A was out, I'll post after reading it.Right now I'm 700 pages into Infinite Jest so it may be a little while yet. So far :)

Finished Remains of the Day by Ishiguro. It's a breezy read, and Ishiguro does a nice job with the first person perspective in this somewhat slight character study.

Started Beat the Reaper based on raves here.

Another vote for "Shantaram". I read where Russell Crowe was going to be the lead but Johnny Depp now has the part. Due out next year.
Not sure how Shantaram can be done any justice in one movie. Or two. Or four. It's a HUGE story.

Just finished the Millionaire next door, starting The Only Thing Worth Dying For
What did you think of Millionaire?
It's a solid read and makes many good points which most of us probably already know, either from intuition or from listening to shows like Dave Ramsey. It's a little dated in the data so I'd like to see an updated version. Overall it's worth the read but not as "life changing" or shocking as it may have been when first written. We live pretty much the way the MND does, which is why we've been able to save a good amount. Biggest thing I took away from it is reinforcing the idea that while I'll help pay for my kid's college, if I'm lucky enough to leave a load of money, they won't see it until they're 40. Also a reminder that attorneys and doctors probably aren't the wealthiest people you'll meet.

Another vote for "Shantaram". I read where Russell Crowe was going to be the lead but Johnny Depp now has the part. Due out next year.
Not sure how Shantaram can be done any justice in one movie. Or two. Or four. It's a HUGE story.
Exactly. 900 page books should NOT be filmed as s single movie. I know people like The Count of Monte Cristo movie, but they absolutely destroyed that novel when squeezing it down to two hours. :lmao:

Finished Good to Great last night on my way to class. What an awful book. And in an odd coincidence, my professor in my strategy class spent about fifteen minutes talking about the negative trends in business publications, specifically targeting Jim Collins and his books for about five minutes of his diatribe. I couldn't have agreed with him more.

While there are a few pieces of wisdom in Collins book such as leaders should put the company's welfare above all else and firms should only do those things at which they have the potential to be the best at, these are well known concepts and he offers nothing new regarding them and certainly nothing on how to accomplish them. And beyond these few points, he spends the rest of the time spouting unproven nonsense that he garnered from his studies. He repeatedly takes the position that since the successful companies that we studied all exhibited XXX and their comparison company did not exhibit XXX, then XXX is vital to being a great company. He totally ignores any discussion of correlation versus causation, or cause and effect. For example, one of the more absurd things he states is that humility and a desire to avoid the spotlight is vital to being a 'Level 5' leader, a requirement for a company to become great.
mostly agree. has its moments, but is tremendously overrated. I've seen so many C-level "leaders" assigning this book for their underlings to read. I didn't really get it.

John Henry Days by Colson Whitehead.

My top recommendation since suggesting Cloud Atlas to FBG. I really enjoyed Whitehead's oddly fascinating (or fascinatingly odd) debut novel The Intuitionist, and JHD takes a big leap forward. Short-listed for the 2002 Pulitzer, JHD weaves a series of vignettes centered around the legend of John Henry. Like Mitchell, Whitehead employs a dazzling array of voices, styles, and period settings in these vignettes.

This is a writer's novel.
finishing up Whitehead's latest, a fictionalized memoir called Sag Harbor. Think of a smarter Theo Huxtable, a prep-school, D&D-playing, Bauhaus-listening young teenager spending summers at a beach village on Long Island. For established fans of Whitehead, or those who want an easily-accessible entry into his work.

i've had The Idiot on my shelf for a while. Should i read it next? If anyone would know, it's you.
Sorry I missed this post somehow. It's definitely one of my favorites (as you picked out from my screen name). It's not exactly a quick read, and I've had people tell me they get too bogged down with the Russian names and such, but the character development is tremendous.

I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier in this thread somewhere, but I have really enjoyed the first 2 Stieg Larson books - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire. I can't wait for the US release of the third book in May.

Just picked the Sun Tzu's The Art of War.Got the Penguin translation - anyone have a specific translation they'd recommend?
I bought a cheap copy from Barnes & Nobles, don't think it matters much, once you read through it you'll understand. It's pretty straight forward.

David Mitchell is phenomenal. I'll read everything he writes (short of a book of poetry). His next novel is tentatively titled Nagasaki and is due next year.
update?
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet due out June 29. Description off Amazon:

The year is 1799, the place Dejima in Nagasaki Harbor, the “high-walled, fan-shaped artificial island” that is the Japanese Empire’s single port and sole window onto the world, designed to keep the West at bay; the farthest outpost of the war-ravaged Dutch East Indies Company; and a de facto prison for the dozen foreigners permitted to live and work there. To this place of devious merchants, deceitful interpreters, costly courtesans, earthquakes, and typhoons comes Jacob de Zoet, a devout and resourceful young clerk who has five years in the East to earn a fortune of sufficient size to win the hand of his wealthy fiancée back in Holland.

But Jacob’s original intentions are eclipsed after a chance encounter with Orito Aibagawa, the disfigured daughter of a samurai doctor and midwife to the city’s powerful magistrate. The borders between propriety, profit, and pleasure blur until Jacob finds his vision clouded, one rash promise made and then fatefully broken. The consequences will extend beyond Jacob’s worst imaginings. As one cynical colleague asks, “Who ain’t a gambler in the glorious Orient, with his very life?”

A magnificent mix of luminous writing, prodigious research, and heedless imagination, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is the most impressive achievement of its eminent author.

Finished Good to Great last night on my way to class. What an awful book. And in an odd coincidence, my professor in my strategy class spent about fifteen minutes talking about the negative trends in business publications, specifically targeting Jim Collins and his books for about five minutes of his diatribe. I couldn't have agreed with him more.

While there are a few pieces of wisdom in Collins book such as leaders should put the company's welfare above all else and firms should only do those things at which they have the potential to be the best at, these are well known concepts and he offers nothing new regarding them and certainly nothing on how to accomplish them. And beyond these few points, he spends the rest of the time spouting unproven nonsense that he garnered from his studies. He repeatedly takes the position that since the successful companies that we studied all exhibited XXX and their comparison company did not exhibit XXX, then XXX is vital to being a great company. He totally ignores any discussion of correlation versus causation, or cause and effect. For example, one of the more absurd things he states is that humility and a desire to avoid the spotlight is vital to being a 'Level 5' leader, a requirement for a company to become great.
mostly agree. has its moments, but is tremendously overrated. I've seen so many C-level "leaders" assigning this book for their underlings to read. I didn't really get it.
:thumbup: This was required reading for us, military officers at a mid-level. Decent enough to pull some points from but there's much better books out there for us to read and not entirely pertinent. I wouldn't call our leader at that time "C-level", but not A-level either.

Just picked the Sun Tzu's The Art of War.Got the Penguin translation - anyone have a specific translation they'd recommend?
I bought a cheap copy from Barnes & Nobles, don't think it matters much, once you read through it you'll understand. It's pretty straight forward.
Is there anyone who doesn't understand the basics of this book? It's a decent read I guess, in the same way that arithmetic is important to learn. Just don't expect the book to push you to greatness.

Started the Road, can't get through it. I've read Blood Meridien, All the Pretty Horses so its not like Im unfamilar with McCarthy's style. I just didn't like the Road, too depressing I suppose.

:lmao: This was required reading for us, military officers at a mid-level. Decent enough to pull some points from but there's much better books out there for us to read and not entirely pertinent. I wouldn't call our leader at that time "C-level", but not A-level either.
just to clarify. by "C-level", i meant executives with a title of Chief-something. (eg, CEO, CFO, etc) wasn't a commentary on their overall skill

i am by no means a fan of the fantasy genre, but i read "the hobbit" along with some of my students and absolutely loved it. i'm probably the only person in the world not to have read/seen "the lord of the rings" trilogy, but "the hobbit" was so good i was inspired to start reading them. i'm about 2/3 of the way through the "the fellowship of the ring". it's pretty decent, but nowhere near as good as "the hobbit" imo.
I felt the same way until I finished the trilogy and then I realized that the Fellowship >>>> Hobbit, just has more backstory that needs to be introduced.
I never got through the trilogy, but this is what I heard as well. The trilogy is a grand story of good vs. evil, where the Hobbit is just a bunch of people stealing a dragon's treasure.
about half-way through the second book and i may agree by the end. "dark tower" has been much better than "fellowship" so far. i really felt "the hobbit" was much much more than just stealing a treasure though. it has some deep underlying themes on top of a very well told adventure story.

:unsure: This was required reading for us, military officers at a mid-level. Decent enough to pull some points from but there's much better books out there for us to read and not entirely pertinent. I wouldn't call our leader at that time "C-level", but not A-level either.
just to clarify. by "C-level", i meant executives with a title of Chief-something. (eg, CEO, CFO, etc) wasn't a commentary on their overall skill
:lol: :lmao:

Is there anyone who doesn't understand the basics of this book? It's a decent read I guess, in the same way that arithmetic is important to learn. Just don't expect the book to push you to greatness.
Yea, kinda my point although when I first picked it up I really thought there was some great revelation in it and really it's just the first guy to write all this stuff down. Impressive when you consider the time period he wrote it in and that the same principles pretty much apply today.
about half-way through the second book and i may agree by the end. "dark tower" has been much better than "fellowship" so far. i really felt "the hobbit" was much much more than just stealing a treasure though. it has some deep underlying themes on top of a very well told adventure story.
Check out the Silmarillion after you've finished the trilogy. It's the prequel to the Hobbit and the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. If you enjoy Tolkien you'll like this.

Just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Got a bit wacky at the end but I can't get enough of Salander. Who's going to play her? Stewart? Portman?

This girl is due to break out. Don't want to see a star in the role.

Last edited by a moderator:
finished ubik by philip k. ****...

great novel, my favorite of the four in the '60s-'70s novels anthology (& one of the best i've ever read in the genre)...

unusual combination of paranoid, prescient and mind expanding...

i'd rank them...

ubik

three stigmata of palmer eldritch

do androids dream (blade runner)...

man in the high castle

on deck...

martian time slip...

will be devouring vol II & III in the coming weeks (13 novels in the three volumes)

he is fast becoming one of my favorite sci-fi writers (with heinlein & stephenson)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread