What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (3 Viewers)

Just finished 11/22/63. Loved it. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this may be my favorite King novel. This is coming from a guy who has a library consisting mostly of zombie and post apocalyptic books. I didn't want to put it down.

I was very worried about the ending. After reading Under The Dome not too long ago, I was scared King was going to blow it. He didn't. I was very satisfied.

Only thing I'm a little disappointed in is I would have liked him to reveal MORE of the 'butterfly effects'. A bit of a nitpick for sure.

Overall I loved it.

Gave up on Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. Just too ridiculous with all the characters coincidentally meeting each other and major historical figures. Think Forrest Gump, but taking itself seriously.
I'm in my early 40s, which means that as a precocious reader in my tween and early teen years, there just wasn't much for me to read. Girls had Judy Blume, and boys had Stephen King, which wasn't aimed at us, but was pretty much the closest thing we had to Young Adult fiction.Then one summer my aunt gave me a Ken Follett book. "Triple," about the efforts of a Mossad super-agent to steal the uranium Israel needed to build an A-bomb, without the rest of the world knowing it happened. It was great, for the action and for a couple of harder-than-soft-core-but-not-quite-pron sex scenes that blew my mind. I read all his stuff: Eye of the Needle, Key to Rebecca, and his real-life Iran story "On Wings of Eagles." So I've always had a soft spot for him, and enjoyed Pillars of the Earth when I read it a few years ago.

So when I picked up "Fall of Giants," I was predisposed to find the good in it. About 800 pages later, I was still looking. It was really horrible crap.

On a related note, my other favorite inadvertent Young Adult author was Clive Cussler, whose Dirk Pitt novels (like Follett's) combined action, historical references, and geopolitics with steamy sex scenes. I loved "Raise the Titanic!" as well as the less-renowned "Night Probe!" which had one sex scene I remember bringing to school to share with my seventh grade classmates. It wasn't until much later that I realized novels with exclamation points in their titles maybe weren't necessarily awesome.

You know, in thinking back about these books, I just remembered the other author who completed my youthful Holy Trinity: Edgar Rice Burroughs. John Carter of Mars, Tarzan, the Pellucidar series (which started with "At the Earth's Core" and later featured an incredible crossover installment - "Tarzan at the Earth's Core"). I spent summers growing up with my grandparents in their cabin in New Hampshire, and paperback editions of Burroughs novels lined the shelves. Flash forward at least 10 years and I'm a freshman English Lit major at a snobby New England liberal arts college. I walk up to a group of classmates having a discussion about "Burroughs." Astonished that such a group of tweedy self-proclaimed literary intelligentsia are talking animatedly about my boyhood hero, I'm this close to jumping into the conversation with a comment about Tarzan when I realize they are talking about another "Burroughs," who had written some book called "Naked Lunch."
I'm now 34 and still think Dirk Pitt is awesome.
That is, until they reveal he has children.
37, and The_Man is dead on. Early Follett was money, especially the espionage stuff. I loved Pillars of the Earth, and like its sequel. Fall of Giants was garbage.

Finished Absalom, Absalom. I just can't seem to get into Faulkner. His writing style is a bit of a workout and may be above my head a bit.

Almost finished with To Kill A Mockingbird. I absolutely loved it.

Next up Scoop.

Scoop was very entertaining. It well worth the quick read and has a lot of laughs in it.

Next up is The Tale Of The Genji. This may take a month or so.

The Visible Man: Chuck Klosterman - I just started reading this book. Not very far into it, but it is pretty good so far.

This is not your standard CK book about pop culture and sports. This is a fiction novel. His previous attempt at a fiction novel, Downtown Owl, was not received well at all. I read it and thought it was pretty good so I thought I would give this a try.

The basic premis is a guy figures out how to make a 'cloaking device' that allows him to essentially be invisible. He doesn't use this power for anything corrupt. He doesn't spy on people to get secrets, or peep on women. He just observes people that are hanging out by themself. He says he feels the only way you can truely know what somone is like is by seeing what they do when they are alone. He has a moral delimma with this as it seem immoral to do such 'spying' but since he is not doing anything destructive with his device he is compelled to do it.

That's about all I got so far. I'll let you know how it turns out.

not sure if this is close as i haven't read those books, but just finished lights out.

it's about a EMP (electric magnetic pulse) being set off taking out all power and the events that unfold for some people trying to get by.

thought it was really good.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check this one out. You should enjoy One Second After, a similar story about surviving after a EMP attack. I thought it was very good.
I have read both of these and One Second After is the better book. Seems much more realistic what would happen and the writing is much better. The editing in both books is very weak. The lights out book the writing is very amateurish and very unrealistic at times though it is a pretty good page turner. The writer in Lights Out does like to add a lot of survival tips and seems like he probably is a bit survilist with his own backyard bunker. Also, a bit to much right wing politics thrown in just to add it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Visible Man: Chuck Klosterman - I just started reading this book. Not very far into it, but it is pretty good so far.

This is not your standard CK book about pop culture and sports. This is a fiction novel. His previous attempt at a fiction novel, Downtown Owl, was not received well at all. I read it and thought it was pretty good so I thought I would give this a try.

The basic premis is a guy figures out how to make a 'cloaking device' that allows him to essentially be invisible. He doesn't use this power for anything corrupt. He doesn't spy on people to get secrets, or peep on women. He just observes people that are hanging out by themself. He says he feels the only way you can truely know what somone is like is by seeing what they do when they are alone. He has a moral delimma with this as it seem immoral to do such 'spying' but since he is not doing anything destructive with his device he is compelled to do it.

Hmmmm, not sure I can get behind the premise of the book then, seems to unrealistic.

Ask the Dust, John Fante (1939).

I just read this in a grad seminar. What a read. Here's the deal -

- It's about one of the most distinct characters I've ever seen in American letters: struggling writier Arturo Bendini. Bendini lives in a crappy room in an LA hotel (this is the late 1930s), where he initially struggles to produce work (and money) after publishing his first short story in a major magazine.

- He's nuts, in a very dark humor way. There was a study recently that linked creative types to schizophrenia. It's not that they're schizophrenic as much as they exhibit a lot of similarities, but churn out art instead of destroying themselves (usually). They mythologize themselves and their world. They have wild flings of emotion in several directions, loving and hating things that most of us wouldn't care about. This is all Arturo.

- The voice makes the novel. It's so effing distinct and wild. It's comparable to Salinger's Caulfiend, except Arturo is less clinically insane and more just a wild young writer. The prose is far more lyrical too. Also, Arturo is something of a racist. But the racism is explained and it's shown as part of that era in a very self-conscious way. It feels true.

- It's short: 165 pages. The chapters are also short and very self-contained, reading almost like highly linked vignettes. I read it in one day (because I had to), but I'm sure it'd make a great airplane novel.

- For you Charles Bukowski fans, Bukowski writes the introduction where identifies Fante as his inspiration and hero of sorts, and this book in particular as inspiring him to take chances.

I can't recommend it enough. Check it out.

'Crazy Canuck said:
Ask the Dust, John Fante (1939).

I just read this in a grad seminar. What a read. Here's the deal -

- It's about one of the most distinct characters I've ever seen in American letters: struggling writier Arturo Bendini. Bendini lives in a crappy room in an LA hotel (this is the late 1930s), where he initially struggles to produce work (and money) after publishing his first short story in a major magazine.

- He's nuts, in a very dark humor way. There was a study recently that linked creative types to schizophrenia. It's not that they're schizophrenic as much as they exhibit a lot of similarities, but churn out art instead of destroying themselves (usually). They mythologize themselves and their world. They have wild flings of emotion in several directions, loving and hating things that most of us wouldn't care about. This is all Arturo.

- The voice makes the novel. It's so effing distinct and wild. It's comparable to Salinger's Caulfiend, except Arturo is less clinically insane and more just a wild young writer. The prose is far more lyrical too. Also, Arturo is something of a racist. But the racism is explained and it's shown as part of that era in a very self-conscious way. It feels true.

- It's short: 165 pages. The chapters are also short and very self-contained, reading almost like highly linked vignettes. I read it in one day (because I had to), but I'm sure it'd make a great airplane novel.

- For you Charles Bukowski fans, Bukowski writes the introduction where identifies Fante as his inspiration and hero of sorts, and this book in particular as inspiring him to take chances.

I can't recommend it enough. Check it out.
:thumbup: Thanks for posting this. I am a Bukowski fan, and I recall reading somewhere (maybe in one of his novels) where he mentioned who his influences were. I always wanted to check out the writers he liked, but I never got around to it. This sounds like it is just what I was looking for.I love his blunt, to the point, writing style. Sounds like he may have got it from this guy.

Has anyone read Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell from 2009?

Making a hit man turned medical intern a sympathetic figure would be a tall order for most authors, but first-time novelist Bazell makes it look easy in this breezy and darkly comic suspense novel.
The sequel/follow-up/continuation is out - titled Wild Thing. About to dive into it.

Making a hit man turned medical intern a sympathetic figure would be a tall order for most authors, but first-time novelist Bazell makes it look easy in this breezy and darkly comic suspense novel.
The sequel/follow-up/continuation is out - titled Wild Thing. About to dive into it.
:blackdot:

Just about to start reading Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn. I read Term Limits by him a few years ago and really liked it. I am hoping the Mitch Rapp series is as good.

Wild Thing was good but not as good as Beat the Reaper. It had some good banter between characters and a plot element I was a bit concerned with didn't seem to be a detriment. Not a must read unless you've read Reaper.

Read this over the holiday and quite enjoyed it. Feel like the story was cut off too abruptly at the end - almost like he was on a deadline to finish the book. Could use a sequel. Any other similar genre recommendations out there?
Got Lucifer's Hammer for Christmas based on the recommendation here, or maybe actually in The Walking Dead thread. Enjoying it so far, though I had to start it twice to keep all the characters straight. About 1/3d of the way through it where the action is just beginning.

Let's see....

Finished up Lindqvist's "Harbor" (he's the guy who wrote "Let The Right One In". I saw one reviewer describe as the Swedish "IT" and it sort of is. All I can say is that it's one weird book (though not as weird as the previous two). Once again, the translation leaves some of the dialogue a little odd. But overall I enjoyed it.

I'm now on Stephen Hunter's "Soft Target". This one stars Ray Cruz (Bob Lee Swagger's son) as the ex-marine sniper. It's basically "Die Hard In A Mall" and is probably the worst-written book in the sniper series. His Obama avatar (as a police colonel named - get this - Obobo) is so heavy-handed that it's almost laughable and his portayal of the terrorists is almost as bad. Cruz himself is a cipher with zero personality. If Hunter's going to continue with this series, he needs to tighten things up instead of tossing off half-hearted efforts.

Wild Thing was good but not as good as Beat the Reaper. It had some good banter between characters and a plot element I was a bit concerned with didn't seem to be a detriment. Not a must read unless you've read Reaper.
Yeah, just about to hit that plot element I think. Little disappointed that much of the "banter" so far seems to be a poorly executed vehicle for Bazell to pontificate on controversial topics. Footnotes don't seem to be as clever, either.

Yeah, just about to hit that plot element I think. Little disappointed that much of the "banter" so far seems to be a poorly executed vehicle for Bazell to pontificate on controversial topics. Footnotes don't seem to be as clever, either.
I agree. Very disappointed with the political BS. I thought some of the footnotes were pretty funny and the banter between Lionel/Peter and Violet was hilarious for the most part.

Took down Glen Duncan's "The Last Werewolf" during a quick biz trip to Chicago. Excellent read. Tries a bit too hard to be "literary" at times, but that's kinda why I like the Brits approach to horror.

Downloaded Joe Abercrombie's "The Blade Itself" It's definitely in the George RR Martin vein of dark fantasy, but not as strong. It lacks the scope and balls of Martin (so far, at least) and feels very derivative, but, it's filling the void nicely. Not available on iBooks, but available on Kindle.

I'm reading "The Whiskey Robber" right now. I'm only about 50 pages into it but it's a very good book so far.

In the Past 10 months or so (most based on this thread)

World War Z - Loved it, flew through it.

Sex on the Moon - Was Ok, but got bored half way and didn't finish it.

The Affair - (Jack Reacher) Liked it more than other Reacher books that I've read. Quick read.

Ready Player One - Liked it, easy read. If you grew up in 80's you'd "get" most of it. A bit nerdy even for me.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Like some said here I struggled though the first 50-70 pages and then it just started to fly and I couldn't put it down.

11/22/63 - about 200 pages in and I can't put it down. Bringing my Nook to work and reading it here.

Just about to start reading Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn. I read Term Limits by him a few years ago and really liked it. I am hoping the Mitch Rapp series is as good.
IT IS AWESOME. YOU WILL BE SUCKED IN, and then you'll have to read them all. They rock.

Just finished "My Thoughts Be Bloody" which was about the childhood of John Wilkes Booth, actually, more about the life of his father and the upbringing of JWB and his older brother Edwin, and how their rivalry contributed to Booth's actions. It was interesting, but tailed off at the end.

I'm about to start "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. I don't know anything about it other than it is set in the Vietnam war. My wife bought it for me, so we'll see. :shrug:

not sure if this is close as i haven't read those books, but just finished lights out.

it's about a EMP (electric magnetic pulse) being set off taking out all power and the events that unfold for some people trying to get by.

thought it was really good.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check this one out. You should enjoy One Second After, a similar story about surviving after a EMP attack. I thought it was very good.
just finished 1 second after.very sad and very scary as this seems like a legit possibility in the future.

Just finished "My Thoughts Be Bloody" which was about the childhood of John Wilkes Booth, actually, more about the life of his father and the upbringing of JWB and his older brother Edwin, and how their rivalry contributed to Booth's actions. It was interesting, but tailed off at the end.I'm about to start "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. I don't know anything about it other than it is set in the Vietnam war. My wife bought it for me, so we'll see. :shrug:
I read the other Tim O'Brien book, Going After Cacciato, and it wasn't bad.

Just finished "My Thoughts Be Bloody" which was about the childhood of John Wilkes Booth, actually, more about the life of his father and the upbringing of JWB and his older brother Edwin, and how their rivalry contributed to Booth's actions. It was interesting, but tailed off at the end.

I'm about to start "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. I don't know anything about it other than it is set in the Vietnam war. My wife bought it for me, so we'll see. :shrug:
I read the other Tim O'Brien book, Going After Cacciato, and it wasn't bad.
Not to build it up too much, but I thought The Things They Carried was a great book. In the Lake of the Woods by him was excellent as well.

After more than a decade I just finished a reread of David Halberstam's October 1964. The fact that this is one of his lesser known books demonstrates just how good he was. He was remarkable in his ability to capture the inherent conflict of generational changes.

Found a place in Philly this weekend called "Book Corner" on 311 N 20th St behind the Philly Free Library.

A full on book store with recent titles that are all used from the library and sell for 1, 2 or 3 dollars. Bought 20 books for 29 dollars, even recent titles. Grabbed the Stieg Larson trilogy just for the hell of it and will power through The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo just for kicks.

For any Philly FBGs, it's worth a cab ride. Warning - bring a box or tote with you. They don't have any bags. I had to walk 6 blocks with a uhaul box of books back to where I parked.

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray. I loved this book. I listened to the audiobook in the car, which was well done with a full voice cast. I may go back and read this one, since it is a long book with a ton of themes and I listened to it over many short drives in the car.
Skippy Dies is one of the best books I've read in years. I highly recommend it. :thumbup:

In the Past 10 months or so (most based on this thread)

World War Z - Loved it, flew through it.

Sex on the Moon - Was Ok, but got bored half way and didn't finish it.

The Affair - (Jack Reacher) Liked it more than other Reacher books that I've read. Quick read.

Ready Player One - Liked it, easy read. If you grew up in 80's you'd "get" most of it. A bit nerdy even for me.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Like some said here I struggled though the first 50-70 pages and then it just started to fly and I couldn't put it down.

11/22/63 - about 200 pages in and I can't put it down. Bringing my Nook to work and reading it here.
Went through World War Z in two sittings. Reminded me of Red Storm Rising, but with way less action. Still a good read, but not quite what I was expecting or hoping for.

Thanks for the tip on this one. One of the most interesting books I've read in a long time.

Went through World War Z in two sittings. Reminded me of Red Storm Rising, but with way less action. Still a good read, but not quite what I was expecting or hoping for.
What is Red Storm Rising?
Tom Clancy WWIII story told from several not necessarily intersecting viewpoints. They also made a computer game where you command an attack sub. I think I paved the floor of the North Atlantic with 8-bit Soviet shipping.

What is Red Storm Rising?
Tom Clancy WWIII story told from several not necessarily intersecting viewpoints. They also made a computer game where you command an attack sub. I think I paved the floor of the North Atlantic with 8-bit Soviet shipping.
I think they also made an actual board game out of it. Didn't translate well, though.

Haven't been able to read as much because work has been so hectic but here's what I'm going through currently:

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" - Stieg Larsson: Pretty damn good. Picked it up to see what all the fuss was about and I'm pretty enthralled so far.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" - Scott Lynch: I'm a couple hundred pages into it and just can't bring myself to pick it back up. I think I'm in the minority but there's just not a whole lot that interests me here.

"Before They Are Hanged" - Joe Abercrombie: Pretty entertained by this series. There are a lot of moments that make me smirk. Plus, Glokta is one of the more memorable characters I've read.

I mentioned this book the other day but had to come back in and say more about it.

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot

Henrietta Lacks was a 31 year old poor black tobacco farmer who was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 1951. While being treated at Johns Hopkins hospital some of her cells were taken without her knowledge and given to a researcher who had been trying (and failing) to find human cells he could keep alive in the lab to be used for research. Her cells, named HeLa cells, google them, we're the holy grail of cells and became one of the most important tools in medicine ever. Thousands of discoveries and developments have been made through using HeLa cells, including the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, and more. Billions of dollars have been made from her cells. But her family never knew about this. To this day they cannot afford health insurance and her own son is over a hundred thousand dollars in debt due to heart surgery. It's a fascinating book of her story, the story of her cells, the story of her family, as well as the ethics of medical research, our rights, race, socioeconomics, etc.

I'm a science teacher and have found this book engaging, moving, enlightening, disturbing, and on and on.

Highly recommended!

After more than a decade I just finished a reread of David Halberstam's October 1964. The fact that this is one of his lesser known books demonstrates just how good he was. He was remarkable in his ability to capture the inherent conflict of generational changes.
Read that book about 10 years ago, should probably read it again. Loved it.

'shuke said:
'kupcho1 said:
Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale was very good.
This has been on my shelf for years but never got around to it. Bumping it up the queue.
I will be interested in hearing your opinion on it. I'm on to Broom of the System by DFW.

The Checklist Manifesto, by Atul Gawande: Although this is the slimmest Gawande volume, and perhaps the most narrowly focused, I think it's the best. The thesis is simple: humans are engaged in increasingly complex endeavors and the simplest way to make sure that things go right is to use a checklist. He shows how this idea has served well in airplane flight, skyscraper construction, stock investment, and surgery. He uses specific examples described with his simple but effective and gripping narrative style. I'd recommend this to anyone.

Bossypants, by Tina Fey: Fairly funny and light read wherein Tina provides a glimpse into her upbringing and career. I didn't expect a weighty or profound read, but this was more superficial than I expected. She doesn't really give any of the numerous topics she covers a thorough treatment, although the chapter on her father is pretty great. My best attempt at a comparison would be a less funny, feminist David Sedaris; I would only recommend the book to fans of Tina, 30 Rock, or SNL.

Nightmares and Dreamscapes, by Stephen King: I was hoping for the visceral thrills and chills this volume's title suggested, but came away disappointed. Perhaps that's because of the format; I think I've given up on Stephen King's short stories - they may work effectively as screenplays, but I prefer his novels for pure reading pleasure.

Wanted to get into an Alternate History type book. Buddy from the gym recommended this one:

Worldwar: In The Balance

Basically aliens invade Earth during WWII. Pretty interesting concept.
There's two or three of Turtledove's books in that particular series, isn't there? (too lazy to look it up) If you end up liking his work, like I sort of do, try his massive series where the South wins the initial Civil War. That one goes on for 80 years of craziness. Nothing like Confederate tanks bogging down in Pittsburgh to jumpstart your imagination.

Wanted to get into an Alternate History type book. Buddy from the gym recommended this one:

There's two or three of Turtledove's books in that particular series, isn't there? (too lazy to look it up) If you end up liking his work, like I sort of do, try his massive series where the South wins the initial Civil War. That one goes on for 80 years of craziness. Nothing like Confederate tanks bogging down in Pittsburgh to jumpstart your imagination.
Yeah. There's 3. He actually just did a really cool thing. There's a guy dying from cancer, has about 2 months to live. He forwarded him a copy of his newest book that doesn't come out til the summer, and is willing to tell the guy how the whole thing ends. I'll link a video when I find it.Here's the link: Turtledove

Yeah. There's 3. He actually just did a really cool thing. There's a guy dying from cancer, has about 2 months to live. He forwarded him a copy of his newest book that doesn't come out til the summer, and is willing to tell the guy how the whole thing ends. I'll link a video when I find it.Here's the link: Turtledove
:thumbup: Sometimes his work is meandering and repetitive but you can't help but like a guy who cheerfully lists on his cover biographies "After flunking out of UCLA....."

Users who are viewing this thread