What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (2 Viewers)

Well, that escalated quickly.

Has anyone ever more quickly gone from being considered better than a ROY superstar to then being considered worse than a journeyman third string quarterback? I mean, it's just incredible how fast it all went downhill. Cousin's head has to be literally spinning. I agree with what Gruden had to do today. But I also feel for Cousins.
ROY?
Offensive Rookie Of the Year.

Has anyone ever more quickly gone from being considered better than a ROY superstar to then being considered worse than a journeyman third string quarterback? I mean, it's just incredible how fast it all went downhill. Cousin's head has to be literally spinning. I agree with what Gruden had to do today. But I also feel for Cousins.
Ebola victims? Domestic violence victims? Thousands that die daily from starvation?

... And Kirk Cousins is the one you 'feel' for?

:thumbup:
:no:

Uh...I can feel for multiple people simultaneously?

Did I say I DIDN'T feel for anyone else?

I mean, if your wife has a bad day at work, do you say, "No I don't feel for you sweetie. I mean, with those Ebola victims, it's impossible for me to give you any empathy." You must be an awesome guy to be around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickly? Did you not see his starts last season?

Oh well, it was mostly a fun ride in fantasy. Now it's time to drop this bum and find a new QB.

Getting benched against the Titans? Not sure he can recover from that.

Seems like there is one of these dudes at QB every year. I mean Case keenum ran hot a couple of games last year and is now lucky to be on the Rams. What we usually see in the 1st few games is the reason the guy was drafted/still on NFL roster. After that, the guy has show he can perform well week after week especially after teams make adjustments to take away the thing they do best.

I did, and you are right. Everyone should not have been hyping him so hard. He showed the same propensity for the turnover last year...

I did, and you are right. Everyone should not have been hyping him so hard. He showed the same propensity for the turnover last year...
I had been saying since Cousins took over after the Jags game that he reminded me of a young Rex Grossman. I've seen nothing again this season that has made me change my opinion. Cousins is a nice backup in this league. He's not someone you worry about having to start a couple games if needed. However, he is not an NFL starting QB. The guy is an INT machine. Only Blake Bortles has a higher INT% this season.For his career, he averages an INT every 21 attempts. That's not someone you want starting for your team.

I had been saying since Cousins took over after the Jags game that he reminded me of a young Rex Grossman. I've seen nothing again this season that has made me change my opinion. Cousins is a nice backup in this league. He's not someone you worry about having to start a couple games if needed. However, he is not an NFL starting QB. The guy is an INT machine. Only Blake Bortles has a higher INT% this season.For his career, he averages an INT every 21 attempts. That's not someone you want starting for your team.
I guess the question, long term, for Cousins, is: can he grow into a QB that doesn't throw the pick? It does happen with some QBs...they get better. Other guys, like Grossman, just have that INT hard coded in their DNA.

In other words, he's clearly a backup right now (and I hope with how his stock has fallen Washington can retain him as a backup). But, several years down the line, could he grow into a starter?

It's all moot with Washington right now of course, who must live or die with Griffin...

I guess the question, long term, for Cousins, is: can he grow into a QB that doesn't throw the pick? It does happen with some QBs...they get better. Other guys, like Grossman, just have that INT hard coded in their DNA.

In other words, he's clearly a backup right now (and I hope with how his stock has fallen Washington can retain him as a backup). But, several years down the line, could he grow into a starter?

It's all moot with Washington right now of course, who must live or die with Griffin...
Cousins' problems are all mental. Once he makes that first mistake in a game, it's like he can't get over it mentally and it leads to more mistakes. Could he be a starter at some point again? Sure why not. Who thought Kurt Warner would be a viable NFL starter. But until he improves mentally, he won't be a starter for any NFL team.

Rotoworld:

Colt McCoy has officially passed Kirk Cousins on the Redskins' depth chart.
In other words, it wasn't a one-time thing as the Redskins searched for a "spark." McCoy will get the starter's reps in this week's practices, and get the call against the Cowboys if Robert Griffin III (ankle) isn't ready. Cousins can be safely dropped in all formats of fantasy.

Related: Colt McCoy, Robert Griffin III

Source: Redskins on Twitter
Oct 20 - 3:16 PM

Too bad for him he had to start games after Week 3. Probably would have been dealt for a midrounder + gotten a new deal to start elsewhere in the process.

Too bad for him he had to start games after Week 3. Probably would have been dealt for a midrounder + gotten a new deal to start elsewhere in the process.
Yep.

Likely went from the next Cassel, Kolb, Flynn etc.... to low paid backup rest of his career. Huge blow to his future bank account.

ROY?
Offensive Rookie Of the Year.
:confused:

This is his third season. He's not a rookie.
The original quoted post refers to cousins being considered better than ROY superstar. That would be RG3, who won the OROY.

Rotoworld:

Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

ESPN Cleveland suggests Kirk Cousins may be the Browns' "prime target" as they search for a quarterback this offseason.

Browns OC Kyle Shanahan is fond of Cousins, who was drafted by the Shanahans in 2012 with Washington. If Cleveland plays its cards right, it should be able to acquire Cousins for a late-round pick. The Browns reportedly tried to trade for Cousins during the 2014 draft, offering the Redskins a fourth-round pick. At the time, the Skins wanted "at least a second." Browns beat writer Tony Grossi expects Cousins to be the Browns' "top target" this offseason.

Related: Browns

Source: ESPN Cleveland

Dec 30 - 9:33

He just needs a shot.
Didn't he get one this year?
Yes and he stunk. Like last year when he got a shot and stunk.The Redskins should have traded him last year when they were offered a 4th rounder for him. Nobody will offer that now. Nobody's offense is built around interceptions.
The Jets have seemingly built their offense around interceptions for years now.

He just needs a shot.
Didn't he get one this year?
Yes and he stunk. Like last year when he got a shot and stunk.The Redskins should have traded him last year when they were offered a 4th rounder for him. Nobody will offer that now. Nobody's offense is built around interceptions.
The Jets have seemingly built their offense around interceptions for years now.
To be fair though, they've also been pretty bad for years now too.

I think with a real NFL caliber line he might actually be a good QB.
It would give him more time to hit open defenders in stride.
Haha that was good. I get the chills when this thread gets bumped.

How about him saying he wants to be traded if RG3 starts. His agent probably had to remind him he sucks and he cant do that.

Poor Kirk.

I think with a real NFL caliber line he might actually be a good QB.
It would give him more time to hit open defenders in stride.
Haha that was good. I get the chills when this thread gets bumped.

How about him saying he wants to be traded if RG3 starts. His agent probably had to remind him he sucks and he cant do that.

Poor Kirk.
It turns out he didn't say that he wanted to be traded. That was Dianna Marie Russini reporting that, and all the other beat reporters chimed in to disagree with her. Russini breaks some things but she's also pretty quick to report and gets some things wrong, more than others do. She has very nice tweets, though.

Rotoworld:

Kirk Cousins has been working out with Jon Gruden this offseason.

We'll try not to read too deep into this, but it's certainly noteworthy that Jon is spending some time with one of his brother's players. Jay Gruden preferred Colt McCoy to Cousins in 2014, but perhaps he still sees some long-term potential. McCoy is a free agent, meaning it's Cousins who could be counted on to put some heat on Robert Griffin III in 2015.

Source: ESPN 980 Washington
Feb 17 - 1:55 PM

Cousins still best QB on this roster. Only one that can make all the throws. RG3 a bust, but no reason to trade him unless you can get back a decent player/pick. McCoy can be a nice backup, but he's only coming back if they trade RG3. There have to be better situations for him than DC. Cousins still has a lot to prove and may never be a long term solution, but he will be the starter if he's in DC. Only reason he wasn't on field all of last year is because management wanted RG3 to have one more shot. He got it, and he sucked.

you're conveniently forgetting that Cousins had a shot too, and did nothing with it.

He may be better than RGIII, but that's not saying much.

Users who are viewing this thread