What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (2 Viewers)

move cousins off his spot in the pocket and nothing good will happen for him after that. seemed to be very inaccurate tonight.

Cousins not the answer? What a shocker!

Everybody but the Redskins brass knew Cousins is a low-grade game manager with no upside and an ultra-poor resume in less-than-optimal situations. When everything goes right like against the Rams, he is borderline okay. When things start deteriorating, he can't scramble, he can't make the big throw, he loses poise quickly, starts missing throws, and ultimately collapses into a bad INT or two to seal the day. But how is any of this any different than what everybody already saw in his two starter stints before? Was he expected to morph into Aaron Rodgers somehow in-between?

Now what's the point in going to Colt McCoy? Another known quantity, more of the same. The only chance this team has is to abandon this pocket-passing utopia, tweak its offense to match RG3's skillset and roll with that, supported by a strong run game, and a reasonable defensive unit.

Though if I am Dan Snyder, the last thing I want to see are a few more checkmarks in the W column. Better to get a top-3 pick and get myself another QB.

What we learned: Time to pull plug on Kirk Cousins?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000538362/article/what-we-learned-time-to-pull-plug-on-kirk-cousins

Excerpt:

1. Where do we begin with Kirk Cousins? Perhaps it was the two times he missed Jordan Reed wide open in the back of the end zone. Maybe it was him getting blanked on play-action passes (and clearly missing two fake handoffs altogether), leading to two picks. Cousins has now turned the ball over 29 times over his last 17 games, this despite a fine, working offensive line and a budding 6-foot-2, 230-pound star at running back. In eight of his 17 career games, he has two or more picks. Would we be stunned to see Colt McCoy next week?

Cousins cannot win games for you. Sometimes he is okay at "not losing them", sometimes he loses them on his own.

Bottom line is with a good offensive line, a good defensive line, but mediocre talent everywhere else, Washington needs a QB that can go win the game. That's RG3. Yes, he will lose some too, but he has the ability to win them.

Say all you want about RG3's mistakes/turnovers, but they don't come close to Cousins'.

Cousins cannot win games for you. Sometimes he is okay at "not losing them", sometimes he loses them on his own.

Bottom line is with a good offensive line, a good defensive line, but mediocre talent everywhere else, Washington needs a QB that can go win the game. That's RG3. Yes, he will lose some too, but he has the ability to win them.

Say all you want about RG3's mistakes/turnovers, but they don't come close to Cousins'.
Cousins is not very good. Griffin is exactly where he belongs, he is entirely mentally and physically fragile to play the position.

Cousins is not very good. Griffin is exactly where he belongs, he is entirely mentally and physically fragile to play the position.
And yet, he'll be starting Week 5.

Looking forward to the Monday Night game in Week 13 when two Browns rejects square off against each other (McCoy and Weeden). If only they could find a way to temporarily hire Brady Quinn as the sideline reporter.

A couple more performances like this and the DC media will split again in pro-RG3 and anti-RG3 camps. The common denominator will be that both camps want Cousins benched.

Kansas City had an awesome D, a great running game, and a much better game manager. They won quite a few regular season games with that recipe, only to be blown up repeatedly in the playoffs. When you don't have players who can make plays against the good teams when it matters, your ceiling in the NFL is low. Racking up a few unnecessary wins along the way actually makes it worse, because it creates the illusion that what you are doing is almost working: "Look! We went from 3-13 to 6-10!"

For all his deficiencies, RG3 is the type of player who can win game for the Redskins, and has done so repeatedly before. Cousins and McCoy never have, and likely never will. All things considered, this franchise seems actually worse off today than 4 weeks ago.

A couple more performances like this and the DC media will split again in pro-RG3 and anti-RG3 camps. The common denominator will be that both camps want Cousins benched.

Kansas City had an awesome D, a great running game, and a much better game manager. They won quite a few regular season games with that recipe, only to be blown up repeatedly in the playoffs. When you don't have players who can make plays against the good teams when it matters, your ceiling in the NFL is low. Racking up a few unnecessary wins along the way actually makes it worse, because it creates the illusion that what you are doing is almost working: "Look! We went from 3-13 to 6-10!"

For all his deficiencies, RG3 is the type of player who can win game for the Redskins, and has done so repeatedly before. Cousins and McCoy never have, and likely never will. All things considered, this franchise seems actually worse off today than 4 weeks ago.
:lmao: You are clueless if you think Griffin should see the field.

Interesting info on Mike and Mike how his stats to start his career are worse than Gabbert and Jamarcus in TD/INT, that is a whole different level of terrible than I thought.

So you're hoping to see McCoy in there soon? If not, what's the argument for more Cousins?

So you're hoping to see McCoy in there soon? If not, what's the argument for more Cousins?
You do understand Griffin's injury history yes? You do understand Griffin costs $16 million next year if he's hurt yes?

Only a complete moron would let Griffin see the field. Not only has Griffin shown he just can't grasp the position he's too fragile, he'll get hurt and The Redskins will be on the hook for his salary next year. If Griffin stays on the team he needs to stay in street clothes.

You do understand Griffin's injury history yes? You do understand Griffin costs $16 million next year if he's hurt yes?

Only a complete moron would let Griffin see the field. Not only has Griffin shown he just can't grasp the position he's too fragile, he'll get hurt and The Redskins will be on the hook for his salary next year. If Griffin stays on the team he needs to stay in street clothes.
Are you responding to someone else? Because you didn't seem to understand my question.

Are you responding to someone else? Because you didn't seem to understand my question.
My argument for Cousins playing is his name is not Robert Griffin. There's no solution on this team presently for a quality NFL starting QB.

My argument for Cousins playing is his name is not Robert Griffin. There's no solution on this team presently for a quality NFL starting QB.
I get it, you hate Griffin. That's long been established. DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PLAY COLT MCCOY?

I get it, you hate Griffin. That's long been established. DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD PLAY COLT MCCOY?
I don't hate Griffin, I hate his injury risk and cap hit when he blows out his knee again.

Do you honestly think it matters if it's Colt or Cousins? I sure don't.

You do understand Griffin's injury history yes? You do understand Griffin costs $16 million next year if he's hurt yes? Only a complete moron would let Griffin see the field. Not only has Griffin shown he just can't grasp the position he's too fragile, he'll get hurt and The Redskins will be on the hook for his salary next year. If Griffin stays on the team he needs to stay in street clothes.
I don't hate Griffin, I hate his injury risk and cap hit when he blows out his knee again.Do you honestly think it matters if it's Colt or Cousins? I sure don't.
Of course it matters. You can't keep trotting out a guy that gives your team little to no chance to win. The empty seats at FedEx will be a bigger hit than whatever Griffins cap hit might be.

You do understand Griffin's injury history yes? You do understand Griffin costs $16 million next year if he's hurt yes? Only a complete moron would let Griffin see the field. Not only has Griffin shown he just can't grasp the position he's too fragile, he'll get hurt and The Redskins will be on the hook for his salary next year. If Griffin stays on the team he needs to stay in street clothes.
I don't hate Griffin, I hate his injury risk and cap hit when he blows out his knee again.Do you honestly think it matters if it's Colt or Cousins? I sure don't.
Of course it matters. You can't keep trotting out a guy that gives your team little to no chance to win. The empty seats at FedEx will be a bigger hit than whatever Griffins cap hit might be.
Even if that was true $16million cap hit <> lost revenue. I thought you were smarter than that.

McCoy, Cousins, Griffin, Gruden......that combo doesn't seem to give the team much of a chance to win.

Even if that was true $16million cap hit <> lost revenue. I thought you were smarter than that.

McCoy, Cousins, Griffin, Gruden......that combo doesn't seem to give the team much of a chance to win.
Calling guys clueless and the little jabs of "I thought you were smarter than that" is pretty egotistical. RG3 is the best playmaker of the three QBs without a doubt. He's also the most criticized and injury prone without a doubt. Do I think he should see the field? If his name wasn't RG3 then yea because I like the chances of winning better with him. Since his name is RG3, I don't want to risk unnecessary money and I don't want more fuel to be added to this dumpster fire of an offense that Jay Gruden has.

Cousins vs. McCoy is the same scenario as Grossman vs. Beck. I'd prefer neither be starting (none of the three for that matter), but Cousins has proven time and time again he can't take care of the ball or win games. Our fan base has been on a roller coaster the past few years since RG3s rookie year brought back some faith before sending everyone right back down the roller coaster hill.

Hang 10 has a point here. Sure the $16mill cap hit will hurt but losing the interest of fans goes far beyond the cap including loss of season ticket holders, less apparel purchased, less concessions, etc.

Even if that was true $16million cap hit <> lost revenue. I thought you were smarter than that. McCoy, Cousins, Griffin, Gruden......that combo doesn't seem to give the team much of a chance to win.
It's not my job to manage the cap for these bozos. They are the ones who picked up his option. They are the ones who kept him on the roster. Is Griffins injury history a recent development? Of course it isn't. So to me that's a weak excuse to keep him on the bench. Are we already so concerned about next year that we can throw this season down the toilet already?

RG3 must really be a head case. It is almost beyond explanation why the team is sticking with Cousins at this point. I do not have dog in this fight, but from the outside it appears to be approaching Al Davis/Marcus Allen level of strange benching. Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that Griffin is close to Allen in talent, but this is really weird.

RG3 must really be a head case. It is almost beyond explanation why the team is sticking with Cousins at this point. I do not have dog in this fight, but from the outside it appears to be approaching Al Davis/Marcus Allen level of strange benching. Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that Griffin is close to Allen in talent, but this is really weird.
The only thing that matters about Griffin right now is that we literally can't afford to let him play. If he's seriously injured, we're on the hook for $16M next year. So us not starting him says nothing about him or any other QB on the roster

Wadsworth said:
RG3 will never play a down as a Redskin again. His weird bonus as mentioned above only kicks in if he's on IR at end of the season. They will not risk that.

Wadsworth said:
RG3 will never play a down as a Redskin again. His weird bonus as mentioned above only kicks in if he's on IR at end of the season. They will not risk that.
That does not make it less bizarre. The Redskins are going no where, have a young QB on the roster that has proven that he is capable of playing at a high level that has been a healthy scratch most of the season. Fear of having to pay an injury settlement? What about fear of sucking?

Griffin may be a head case. The Redskins may be on point and just trying to exit a bad situation as gracefully as possible. It is still weird. RG3 is getting the Tebow treatment but at least to my eye he has looked a better player.

$16 million cap hit in 1 year for a team that needs all the cap space and assets it can, yes, that's a lot. Fear of sucking? Hard to fear something they are really good at. I'm a RG3/Redskins fan and it is what it is. I think with a head coach that didn't have a man crush on Kirk Cousins and basically just didn't hate him, RG3 would get another shot. They've all but moved on from RG3 and they're using this year to figure out what they have in Cousins even though it's pretty obvious to me what they have. A career backup, but hey, what do I know, Gruden is supposed to be the QB guru right?

Wadsworth said:
There are politics at play, as well as contract issues.

Wadsworth said:
It's not a bonus, it simply fully guarantees his salary.

Users who are viewing this thread