What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (2 Viewers)

Wadsworth said:
RG3 must really be a head case. It is almost beyond explanation why the team is sticking with Cousins at this point. I do not have dog in this fight, but from the outside it appears to be approaching Al Davis/Marcus Allen level of strange benching. Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that Griffin is close to Allen in talent, but this is really weird.
RG3 will never play a down as a Redskin again. His weird bonus as mentioned above only kicks in if he's on IR at end of the season. They will not risk that.
It's not a bonus, it simply fully guarantees his salary.
It also doesn't have anything to do with the IR this year. It kicks in if he fails the physical going into next season.

Wadsworth said:
RG3 must really be a head case. It is almost beyond explanation why the team is sticking with Cousins at this point. I do not have dog in this fight, but from the outside it appears to be approaching Al Davis/Marcus Allen level of strange benching. Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that Griffin is close to Allen in talent, but this is really weird.
RG3 will never play a down as a Redskin again. His weird bonus as mentioned above only kicks in if he's on IR at end of the season. They will not risk that.
It's not a bonus, it simply fully guarantees his salary.
It also doesn't have anything to do with the IR this year. It kicks in if he fails the physical going into next season.
Yup, so as long as Griffin can pass a physical in March of next season, he's good. Believe it would just have to be done before the new league year begins.

This should just serve as a reminder that the grass is not always greener and that backups are backups for a reason.

Giving him the whole season was always the right move. Win some, lose some. He's the only potential franchise QB on the roster. At the end of the year, McCloughan will have the information he needs to decide where to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to the question posed in the thread title is next weekend. And it's not going to be pretty.
Probably not, but it will be interesting to find out.

ETA: the Giants have been his achilles heel - in two games against them his record is 38/82 (46%), 1 TD, 6 INT.

Outside of those games his career numbers are 202/325 (62.2%), 17 TD, 13 INT.
I would say that it's more likely that the Giants were just the first team to figure him out.

If the Redskins go into this season with Cousins as the starting QB, they're staring directly at 2-14. Not that I see them really any higher than a 4-5 win team with Griffin, even if he somehow becomes a viable NFL QB.
:whistle:

The answer to the question posed in the thread title is next weekend. And it's not going to be pretty.

ETA: the Giants have been his achilles heel - in two games against them his record is 38/82 (46%), 1 TD, 6 INT.

I would say that it's more likely that the Giants were just the first team to figure him out.

If the Redskins go into this season with Cousins as the starting QB, they're staring directly at 2-14. Not that I see them really any higher than a 4-5 win team with Griffin, even if he somehow becomes a viable NFL QB.
Dont be too proud of this quarterbacking terror youve rostered. The ability to destroy the Bucanneers is insignificant next to the ineptitude of Jay Gruden.

Cousins lucky Conte has no hands and dropped that int before the game winning td. Great effort today

That was a good game by Cousins yesterday. Not great, and he got some breaks, but the Redskins don't score 4 times and come back to win without his performance.

Dont be too proud of this quarterbacking terror youve rostered. The ability to destroy the Bucanneers is insignificant next to the ineptitude of Jay Gruden.
Actually don't own him anywhere. It's just like I said though - he's good when he doesn't throw interceptions.

That was a good game by Cousins yesterday. Not great, and he got some breaks, but the Redskins don't score 4 times and come back to win without his performance.
Agreed. Wasn't a pretty 1st half from him or the Redskins, but that 2nd half was pretty damn impressive.

Or the performance of Tampa's defense. 2 and a half quarters of the softest zones I've ever seen.

He's growing rapidly with so many consecutive starts, I'm starting to believe and want a re-signing. The Panthers on the road will be a huge test.

He's growing rapidly with so many consecutive starts, I'm starting to believe and want a re-signing. The Panthers on the road will be a huge test.
The guy has noticeably progressed, and I didn't think that would happen. He's still in the bottom half of starting QB's in the league in my opinion but he's been at least decent in almost every game. When adversity hits during games he no longer looks like a circus clown with fire ants in his pants. And he's done what he's done without much of a running game or offensive line. I'm still not convince he's the starter for the future of the Skins, but he's closer to being that than he was at the beginning of the year. Hats off to him.

The most telling part of the progression yesterday: better decision making when receivers were covered. Several times in the redzone he scrambled and threw WELL out of bounds instead of trying to fit it in and throw the interception. Kirk has always been able to move the ball downfield but his achilles heel has been interceptions. In the last three games he has 8 TD passes vs. 1 Interception.

Next week versus Carolina is a tougher test though than the pourous New Orleans defense. I don't expect the Redskins to win necessarily but I would like to see Cousins continue to protect the ball and be efficient with the short to intermediate passing game as he has been recently.

He also had one really nice long pass to Jackson yesterday but it seems like the Redskins really need to add another long ball threat next year (Jackson too fragile to pay 9 M per year to) to allow Kirk to grow in that phase of the game...

The most telling part of the progression yesterday: better decision making when receivers were covered. Several times in the redzone he scrambled and threw WELL out of bounds instead of trying to fit it in and throw the interception. Kirk has always been able to move the ball downfield but his achilles heel has been interceptions. In the last three games he has 8 TD passes vs. 1 Interception.

Next week versus Carolina is a tougher test though than the pourous New Orleans defense. I don't expect the Redskins to win necessarily but I would like to see Cousins continue to protect the ball and be efficient with the short to intermediate passing game as he has been recently.

He also had one really nice long pass to Jackson yesterday but it seems like the Redskins really need to add another long ball threat next year (Jackson too fragile to pay 9 M per year to) to allow Kirk to grow in that phase of the game...
The only way to find out if this will be a career problem is reps. Not saying Cousins is the next great one but most guys throw tons of INTs early in their career. If Peyton Manning didn't have the last name of Manning, he would have been benched before the end of his rookie season.

Calvin Johnson will be available. Yesterday he tried to get off the team by botching the onside kick perfectly but his stupid team played defense and ruined his exit. I guarantee that if they lose that game the old bag owner blows her stack about paying a WR 20+ million a year to lose games. Calvin just can't win but I still think he is let go. Hopefully he is getting good advice to not entertain any sort of renegotiation of his contract. Cousins/Gruden won't be wusses about getting him the ball 15 times a game.

The only way to find out if this will be a career problem is reps. Not saying Cousins is the next great one but most guys throw tons of INTs early in their career. If Peyton Manning didn't have the last name of Manning, he would have been benched before the end of his rookie season.

Calvin Johnson will be available. Yesterday he tried to get off the team by botching the onside kick perfectly but his stupid team played defense and ruined his exit. I guarantee that if they lose that game the old bag owner blows her stack about paying a WR 20+ million a year to lose games. Calvin just can't win but I still think he is let go. Hopefully he is getting good advice to not entertain any sort of renegotiation of his contract. Cousins/Gruden won't be wusses about getting him the ball 15 times a game.
You think the Lions will straight-up cut Calvin Johnson? :lol:

So for those of us who streamed Cousins this week due to the NO match-up, any reason to hold on to him going forward?

So for those of us who streamed Cousins this week due to the NO match-up, any reason to hold on to him going forward?
Maybe? Hard to use him this week against Carolina. But his schedule after that is: Giants, Cowboys, @Bears, Bills, @Eagles, @Cowboys.

They are the Lions. Nothing is impossible. He's due $24 million in 2016. He'll get paid over $3 million for every TD if he can muster up 8 of them. Or he gets $300000 per catch if he can muster up 80 of them. What a keeper.

I am holding him in Dynasty for now. Matt Ryan drops back and stars down his primary receiver and has turned into trash and this guy is dropping back and scanning the field. The Carolina game will certainly be a big test.

trade for Josh Gordon?

hmmm

Why is that so funny? I think it's an option. Whether that happens who knows.

Cousins really only had one bad moment yesterday. He got pressured and basically tried to throw it to an OL. The ball got tipped and picked in the red zone, but a defensive holding penalty was called on the play.

If he can have a nice performance vs Carolina that will say something.

I haven't checked in this thread in a long time but Jesus Christ this is a horendeously clueless post and was when at the time it was originally posted.

I haven't checked in this thread in a long time but Jesus Christ this is a horendeously clueless post and was when at the time it was originally posted.
It's loaded with gems. I was reading them last night.

Get rid of the football quick like a real QB and you won't have the problems he has. Run around like a fool and things won't end well. Never has, never will.
Roethlisberger did this and won 2 Super Bowls, while playing in a 3rd.

You may want to check your definition of the word "never."
There is a difference between scrambling (Ben) and just running around like this guy. Putting Ben and this guy in the same sentence is laughable.
Your QB analysis is laughable, and clearly doesn't extend past repeating "running around" over and over trying to make some sort of point.

We get it, you treat different types of QBs very differently.
Like this gem.

He's definitely made some improvements and I hope that continues. He seems to have some good qualities that we are starting see. But, we're still not talking about a "good" QB. Right now, I'd say he's "fine". Maybe he'll rise to "good" or even "great", as some think he will, but he's not there yet. Even after two great games the last three weeks, Kirk's rankings are:

Rating - 18

QBR -16

Y/A - 26

AY/A - 24

NY/A - 18

ANY/A - 21

Y/C - 32

TD% - 21

INT% - 22

Right now, he excels at comp % (4th) and sack % (4th). That's because he throws quick, short routes. Maybe being surrounded by some better talent would improve his numbers, but I think his skill position players are at least adequate. D Jax has been injured, which has hurt him. But, Jordan Reed is one of the best receiving TEs, Garcon is fine, and Crowder is a solid slot receiver. Chris Thompson and Matt Jones are good receivers out of the backfield.

D Jax has been injured, which has hurt him. But, Jordan Reed is one of the best receiving TEs, Garcon is fine, and Crowder is a solid slot receiver. Chris Thompson and Matt Jones are good receivers out of the backfield.
Are we almost comfortable in saying that this team has "weapons" on offense?

D Jax has been injured, which has hurt him. But, Jordan Reed is one of the best receiving TEs, Garcon is fine, and Crowder is a solid slot receiver. Chris Thompson and Matt Jones are good receivers out of the backfield.
When fully healthy, I think Jackson, Garcon, Crowder, Reed, and one of the RBs is probably an above average unit.

According the Sports Junkies this morning, there are no weapons on offense and Kirk has been carrying the team of bums all season. There was a discussion about would you want to extend a QB that is manning an offense that is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. According to EB, it's because Cousins has had nothing to work with all season. Reed has been hurt half the season (False) and DJax has been out (I'll agree there). He said the Cowboys have had more to work with on offense this season. Keep in mind Dallas has been without Romo since Week 3, Dez missed 5 or 6 games, Dunbar is out for the year, and their starting RB to begin the season isn't even on an NFL team at the moment.

Kirk Cousins displaying competence.

It's been a weird year in the league.
Giving credit where it's due -- yes, he has so far this year. It's been a short quick passing game designed to minimize sacks, but that's more due to the Redskin O-line being not-so-good and having 2 guys who never started before on the right side, exacerbated by losing the starting LG and C for the year and throwing 2 other non-starters in there. It's the best passing attack for a line like that and Cousins has done pretty well with it. If they had a steady run game he'd likely be doing a bit better, but their rushing game either produces 200 yards or 38 yards in games.

According the Sports Junkies this morning, there are no weapons on offense and Kirk has been carrying the team of bums all season. There was a discussion about would you want to extend a QB that is manning an offense that is in the bottom 1/3 of the league. According to EB, it's because Cousins has had nothing to work with all season. Reed has been hurt half the season (False) and DJax has been out (I'll agree there). He said the Cowboys have had more to work with on offense this season. Keep in mind Dallas has been without Romo since Week 3, Dez missed 5 or 6 games, Dunbar is out for the year, and their starting RB to begin the season isn't even on an NFL team at the moment.
Oh, good grief. Glad I didn't hear that this morning.

DC sports radio guys are still desperately defending and promoting Cousins, even though they don't need to any more. After good games they want him signed to a new contract, they call him a Super Bowl quality QB (Cooley), and they desperately want Griffin cut. And after bad games you see them on bridges, looking over the edge, on your drives to work in the morning.

They also talked about Louis Riddick's comments that he doesn't say Kirk as anything more than an "average" QB going forward. Not surprisingly, EB said that would be great and was totally fine. This is the same guy that bashed RG3 for being "average". The double standard here is strong. This was the first time I had listened to them in months. Quickly remembered why I stopped listening.

DC sports radio guys are still desperately defending and promoting Cousins, even though they don't need to any more. After good games they want him signed to a new contract, they call him a Super Bowl quality QB (Cooley), and they desperately want Griffin cut. And after bad games you see them on bridges, looking over the edge, on your drives to work in the morning.
My favorite was a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about Dilfer's eval of Cousins. Galdi led into by asking Cooley if he though Dilfer was a fair evaluator of QBs. Cooley said he thought Dilfer was really good at understanding QBs. They then play a clip of Dilfer basically saying Kirk doesn't have all the physical tools to be a great QB in the league. Cooley then bashes Dilfer and calls him lazy for his evaluation of Cousins. I immediately turned it off.

Users who are viewing this thread