What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (3 Viewers)

Not that this is shocking news, but per Doug Williams today the Redskins are not tagging Cousins and he will be a free agent on March 6 at 4 pm.  Sensible once they agreed to the Smith trade.  No way they would eat up $35m of cap space during free agency just for spite.

10. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins ……………………… 1 point.

(Last week: 7. 5 points)

If the energy wasted on the talk of him coming to the Browns could be harnessed, it could light up all of Northeast Ohio for a year. This has been the biggest non-story of the Browns’ offseason. Kudos to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York for researching Cousins’ 4-19 record against teams that finished with a better than .500 record. How do you like me now? The Vikings may soon be pondering that question.
Worth every penny he’ll get because there are not 10 QBs who can make this throw.

while true if the money is remotely close, I'm going to the team with the all world Defense and solid running game and two really nice WRs, not sure what the jets offer besides money and  a great city.
They weren't exactly all-world last year. Barely any sacks or turnovers. Now they are likely to cut Talib. The WRs are old, too. Give Cousins a lot of money and that will really impact the cap in the future.  They had their window and did well, but I don't see this team doing well going forward. 

IF Minn is willing to pay, I don't see how Cousins wouldn't end up there. Perfect fit.

Cleveland has some nice young players, tons of cap room and picks. Unfortunately, the "Cleveland" factor will play against them. The Jets played hard last year in a tank season. Now they have good young lockeroom, a ton of money, a Cousins-offensive coordinator connection, and picks.

They weren't exactly all-world last year. Barely any sacks or turnovers. Now they are likely to cut Talib. The WRs are old, too. Give Cousins a lot of money and that will really impact the cap in the future.  They had their window and did well, but I don't see this team doing well going forward. 

IF Minn is willing to pay, I don't see how Cousins wouldn't end up there. Perfect fit.

Cleveland has some nice young players, tons of cap room and picks. Unfortunately, the "Cleveland" factor will play against them. The Jets played hard last year in a tank season. Now they have good young lockeroom, a ton of money, a Cousins-offensive coordinator connection, and picks.
I was talking vikings. Denver if the offense is remotely functional at qb you would see thay defense turn around fast. They still have von miller shane ray and a good cb without talib 

NBC Denver's Mike Klis reports the Broncos are "very much in" on free agent Kirk Cousins.

That's "per team and player sources." There's a report out that Cousins is "down to" the Vikings and Jets, but the sides aren't technically even allowed to talk yet. (Emphasis on "technically.") The "legal tampering" — we really need to rename that — period begins next Monday before free agency kicks off that Wednesday.

Related: Broncos

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter 

Mar 5 - 2:55 PM

So basically a 3-year long franchise tag that's not use of an actual franchise tag? Not a bad deal for the length of years. 
It's an interesting deal.  Fully guaranteed is, well, I dont think I have ever seen that for a large money deal have we?

It's not a bad deal for the team if Cousins plays well (top 10-ish) for three years, and a great deal for Cousins if he sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're right about the three teams but unless there's a large difference in money I don't know how he doesn't choose the Vikings.
KFAN1003‏ @KFAN1003 2h2 hours ago

REPORT: Vikings set to offer Kirk Cousins huge 3-year, $91 million fully guaranteed deal

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/vikings-blog/content/2018-03-06-report-vikings-set-to-offer-kirk-cousins-huge-3-year-91mm-deal/
That's got to be really tough to pass up for Kirk or beat for other teams.  Not to mention it's the best situation for him, despite any possible concern of not living up to expectations. 

PFT originally brushed off this report and are skeptical and point out the flaws.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/07/three-years-91-million-fully-guaranteed-for-kirk-cousins-is-a-stretch/

First, the Vikings seem to be very sensitive about the importance of keeping enough cash and cap space available to retain as many of their other great players as possible. Committing $91 million fully guaranteed over the next three years will complicate that objective, dramatically.

Second, the current high-water mark for quarterbacks sits at $27.5 million annually. $30.33 million per year would represent an implausible spike, skipping over a slower progression of $28 million, $28.5 million, $29 million, $29.5 million, and $30 million.

Third, if the $91 million will be fully guaranteed, the Vikings would have to put the bulk of that money in escrow right now. For that reason, most teams resist fully guaranteed payments beyond two years. Only one — the Dolphins — have fully guaranteed the first three years of a contract, giving Ndamukong Suh $60 million at signing to cover 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Fourth, if the Vikings were to offer that much over three years, the Vikings would surely want more years on the back end, both for cap purposes (allowing the signing bonus to be spread over a longer period of time) and to give the Vikings the opportunity to keep Cousins under contract longer, if they choose to keep him beyond the guaranteed years.

Fifth, given that the Vikings have a better team than the Jets, the Vikings should be able to get Cousins for less than what the Jets would pay. And the Jets surely aren’t willing to fork over $91 million over three years, either.

While Cousins will indeed get paid, it would be a surprise if he hits an average of $30 million per year. If would be a shock if he gets to $30.33 million per year, fully guaranteed, on a contract that covers only three years.

Reports: Cousins Won’t Cost $30 Million/Year

Tom Pellissero of the NFL Network reported that he has spoken to multiple, trusted sources who are familiar with the situation and say the numbers are “absolutely false.” Pelissero said the Vikings have not offered Cousins a contract, which would be a clear violation of the league’s tampering laws.

Earlier today, Mike Florio of NBC’s ProFootballTalk appeared on KFAN radio with the voice of Vikings Paul Allen. Florio also addressed the rumor of the fully guaranteed, $91 million contract, stating:

“If it’s 3-year deal [for Kirk Cousins] I don’t think it’s going to be $30 million a year,” said Florio, who added, “He’ll be hard-pressed to get north of $27 million.”
$30 million a year would be 17% of the total cap space available in 2018. $27 would be 15% of the total cap space.

The Vikings spent 14% of their total cap space on their 3 QB last season.

Neither deal seems outside the realm of possibility although I am hoping Florio is right about the price.

PFT originally brushed off this report and are skeptical and point out the flaws.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/07/three-years-91-million-fully-guaranteed-for-kirk-cousins-is-a-stretch/

First, the Vikings seem to be very sensitive about the importance of keeping enough cash and cap space available to retain as many of their other great players as possible. Committing $91 million fully guaranteed over the next three years will complicate that objective, dramatically.

Second, the current high-water mark for quarterbacks sits at $27.5 million annually. $30.33 million per year would represent an implausible spike, skipping over a slower progression of $28 million, $28.5 million, $29 million, $29.5 million, and $30 million.

Third, if the $91 million will be fully guaranteed, the Vikings would have to put the bulk of that money in escrow right now. For that reason, most teams resist fully guaranteed payments beyond two years. Only one — the Dolphins — have fully guaranteed the first three years of a contract, giving Ndamukong Suh $60 million at signing to cover 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Fourth, if the Vikings were to offer that much over three years, the Vikings would surely want more years on the back end, both for cap purposes (allowing the signing bonus to be spread over a longer period of time) and to give the Vikings the opportunity to keep Cousins under contract longer, if they choose to keep him beyond the guaranteed years.

Fifth, given that the Vikings have a better team than the Jets, the Vikings should be able to get Cousins for less than what the Jets would pay. And the Jets surely aren’t willing to fork over $91 million over three years, either.

While Cousins will indeed get paid, it would be a surprise if he hits an average of $30 million per year. If would be a shock if he gets to $30.33 million per year, fully guaranteed, on a contract that covers only three years.
Yep, the reported deal was nonsensical for MN. The only reason to offer a guaranteed contract for that long without any team control for later years would be to get an annual price below the market value. But the report is for 10% above the market value. 

Now if they said the Browns offered that, I would be more likely to believe it. 

Yep, the reported deal was nonsensical for MN. The only reason to offer a guaranteed contract for that long without any team control for later years would be to get an annual price below the market value. But the report is for 10% above the market value. 

Now if they said the Browns offered that, I would be more likely to believe it. 
I think some of the details might be off, but I think the deal makes sense from the Vikes perspective IF the plan is to extend Cousins soon.  

Giving Cousins 3 years, at 30 all guaranteed, means no cap relief in those years.  But with a short term deal, it gives them a ton of flexibility in event of an extension.  They can clear money from any of those years by converting base to bonus, and adding years to the deal.  You can't add years to a 5 year deal without creating problems down the road.  But a 3 year deal, for a 29 year old QB? They can add two years easily.  

It wouldn't surprise me if the Vikes have an understanding with Cousins' people to add years to the deal when they need space to re-sign their people.  It's very unusual to only offer a three year deal to a QB, so why do it? Basically, the Vikes can pick and choose which years to gain relief with an extension.  

Next year the Vikes have Kendricks, Diggs, Hunter and Barr to worry about.  No way they keep all four, that would be a lot to ask.  But by next spring, they'll have a better handle on who they can re-sign, and will know how much space they need.  

Vikes will be most interesting team next offseason.  The draft might give us a good idea who they plan on re-signing.  

Is there any chance that Cousins isn't a Brown next year? They have the money to spend and it frees them up to draft BPA with #1 and #4. How can that not make sense?

Is there any chance that Cousins isn't a Brown next year? They have the money to spend and it frees them up to draft BPA with #1 and #4. How can that not make sense?
If Kirk Cousins doesn't want to play for the Browns, it does not make sense for Kirk Cousins.

You can't add years to a 5 year deal without creating problems down the road.  But a 3 year deal, for a 29 year old QB? They can add two years easily.  

It wouldn't surprise me if the Vikes have an understanding with Cousins' people to add years to the deal when they need space to re-sign their people.  It's very unusual to only offer a three year deal to a QB, so why do it? Basically, the Vikes can pick and choose which years to gain relief with an extension.  

Interesting point. I hadn't thought of that. 

I think some of the details might be off, but I think the deal makes sense from the Vikes perspective IF the plan is to extend Cousins soon.  

Giving Cousins 3 years, at 30 all guaranteed, means no cap relief in those years.  But with a short term deal, it gives them a ton of flexibility in event of an extension.  They can clear money from any of those years by converting base to bonus, and adding years to the deal.  You can't add years to a 5 year deal without creating problems down the road.  But a 3 year deal, for a 29 year old QB? They can add two years easily.  

Next year the Vikes have Kendricks, Diggs, Hunter and Barr to worry about.  No way they keep all four, that would be a lot to ask.  But by next spring, they'll have a better handle on who they can re-sign, and will know how much space they need.  

Vikes will be most interesting team next offseason.  The draft might give us a good idea who they plan on re-signing.  
We have been discussing this in the Vikings thread and there seems to be some agreement between the fans that Barr is the one who should be let go, but that the Vikings will keep Kendricks, Diggs, Hunter and Waynes.

Diggs is going to be expensive, but they have to keep him. Kenricks has played better than Barr, so no doubt they keep him. The defensive line is mostly older players besides Hunter, so I think they keep him. Waynes and Barr are more on the bubble in my view than the other 3 players.

It is possible that the Vikings can sign Cousins to a big contract (I am hoping it works out to less than $30 million per year though) and sign these players to long term deals the way things are set up salary cap wise right now. However signing Cousins and extending those players might mean the Vikings cannot sign another big ticket free agent this year.

The Vikings can save money for those contract extensions by cutting Barr, Rudolph, Latavius Murray, Jarius Wright all of whom are overpayed by the Vikings right now. Seems unlikely they get rid of Rudolph because he is such a face of the franchise type player. Rudolph does genuinely seem like a really nice guy. He is over payed though. You listen to people talk about the Vikings and they will talk about Diggs and Theilen. Rudolph is an afterthought. Was listening to Tony Gonzalez talk about this the other day and he was basically like "and Kyle Rudolph is also a football player". Rudolph is not really that good and I wish the Vikings would play David Morgan more than him. Morgan can actually block.

Looking at this list I think it is pretty easy to see the low hanging fruit.

Rudolph is the 7th highest paid player on the team right now, followed by Murray then Wright. I think all 3 could be cut without it making much of an impact on the team. Cutting Rudolph might be addition from subtraction.

Mike Remmers another possible cut as well if the Vikings add more offensive linemen through free agency. RIght now it sounds like Joe Berger wants to play another season and the Vikings prefer Remmers at guard.

Brian Robison is another player who could be cut, but his contract isn't that bad, he took a pay cut last year IIRC. None of the players after Robison are making more than 1% of the total cap space, so there isn't much expense after the top 15 players on the team, and a 3rd of those top 15 players could all be let go.

I agree the NFL draft may give us some clues about the Vikings long term decisions on these players. If they do let Barr go after this season then I would expect the Vikings to draft a LB pretty early to replace Barr in 2019.

Chadstroma said:
When, since Cousin's agent stated there are four teams Cousins was willing to go to and Cleveland wasn't one of those four, I'd say there's a VERY good chance.

The one time I wish a player simply wanted the biggest contract (browns fan here) he would rather take less to go to a better organization. :(

No one in their right mind would go to the Browns, but Cleveland should at least throw the Hail Mary and tell Cousins, "sign here and we are talking that RB 1st overall." 

No one in their right mind would go to the Browns, but Cleveland should at least throw the Hail Mary and tell Cousins, "sign here and we are talking that RB 1st overall." 
Cousins, Barkley, Coleman, Gordon and that young TE that’s promising... lots of talent on that offense. 

Zig Fracassi‏ @ZigFracassi

FollowFollow @ZigFracassi

Adam Caplan: from people I trust, Kirk Cousins will go to the #Vikings...at least $27 million per season. #NFLFreeAgency

1:23 PM - 10 Mar 2018

Depends who your alternatives are.

Stopped reading when it said he would add 1.5 wins to the Browns.  Worst QB play in the league last year.  Pretty sure Brown win a handful of games last year with Cousins, maybe the same 7 Washington won.  Swap QBs and they basically swap records.  
I don't know about 7, but the browns were within 4 points in 5 of their games. There's at least a reasonable chance cousins is worth 4 points per game. So 5 wins seems reasonable.

I don't know about 7, but the browns were within 4 points in 5 of their games. There's at least a reasonable chance cousins is worth 4 points per game. So 5 wins seems reasonable.
He's probably worth like 2 or 3 points a game to last year's Vikings, but he's also probably 10-17pts per game better than Kizer on last year's Browns. 

He's probably worth like 2 or 3 points a game to last year's Vikings, but he's also probably 10-17pts per game better than Kizer on last year's Browns. 
I'll assume that's an exaggeration. Or do you really think cousins would make the browns the top scoring team in the league?   10 puts them around Baltimore/Pittsburgh. 17 puts them 30 over the Rams.

...Two sources close to the situation told Rapoport that at least two NFL teams are prepared to offer Cousins three-year, fully guaranteed contracts if that's what it takes to sign him. In addition, at least one other team is willing to potentially pay a nearly fully guaranteed deal. 

...the Minnesota Vikings are considered to "be in the driver's seat" for Cousins, according to Rapoport. However, Cousins is expected to take at least one or two team visits before signing, with a decision likely to be made by Thursday, per Rapoport.

The Vikings along with the New York JetsDenver Broncos and Arizona Cardinals are expected to be the contenders in the Cousins sweepstakes. After the Browns' flurry of trades on Friday and Saturday, the Jets have a league-leading $89.8 million in salary-cap space, per Over The Cap.

The Redskins/Cousins divorce is going quite well. 

Doug Williams saying Cousins would purposely take sacks to protect his QBR.

“ouch”

“ouch”
Most QBs love getting driven into the ground by 300 pound men in order to not have their QBR drop .0001 points.

“ouch”
As a lifelong fan, who loves the Team and hates the Owner and his sycophants, of which (sadly, because his management career is tarnishing his playing career quite badly) Doug Williams is one, I can say with all certainty: "nothing to see here".

It's been a trademark of the Snyder regime since it's inception, that when things don't go their way and someone (coach, player) leaves the organization in a manner that might cast a bad light on Dan, or Vinny, or Bruce...the organization, either directly, or through it's mouthpieces (Deangelo Hall is another one) engages in a smear campaign of varying degrees of subtlety.

This fish has always stunk from the head down, and this immature crap is just a symptom of a larger problem. It's like slamming the door and screaming "f you" as your ex walks out the door, instead of being an adult and just going your separate ways.

I wish Kirk all the best, I'll be rooting for him, and I hope he has a long, succssful career. I hope he gets many opportunities on the field to prove the Redskins wrong.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport confirms the Cardinals are "in the mix" for free agent Kirk Cousins.

Cousins' sister lives in the "Phoenix area," which supposedly will be a factor in Cousins' decision. Although we are sure Cousins loves his family, we doubt it will take precedence over money. Like the Jets, Vikings or Broncos, the Cardinals will have to pay a pretty penny if they want Cousins to be their quarterback.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 12 - 5:01 PM

@AdamSchefter

Kirk Cousins plans to sign a three-year, fully guaranteed contract from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, sources tell ESPN 

@AdamSchefter

Kirk Cousins plans to sign a three-year, fully guaranteed contract from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, sources tell ESPN 
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Minnesota will be first to host the free-agent quarterback. That's not all: The Vikings are offering a three-year, $28 million per year deal. As expected, that tops the $27.5 million annually Jimmy Garoppolo earned from the 49ers.

Cousins will have dinner with coaches and other essential Vikings personnel on Wednesday evening before visiting the club's brand new facility on Thursday.

So I guess the story about Kirk not traveling was fake news.

Users who are viewing this thread