What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (1 Viewer)

Redskins have done a LOT of stupid things over the last few decades but letting Kirk walk as opposed to paying him like he was an elite franchise QB wasn’t one of them.  Now if we can just get Bruce Allen to follow Chucky to LA and fire Gruden we might get somewhere. Anyone else hoping they lose every game left for a better draft pick? 
There was zero chance he was going to re-sign with Washington. 

Washington burned that bridge the year prior by franchising him again and not realizing his market value

Not his fault the O-Line is hot garbage. Coaching also needs to actually call some running plays...
Yes, these things need to change. It might be a reason I'd be in the market for Cousins in the offseason. Play calling needs to change and they need to improve their OL, which is weird because I feel like 2017 they were one of the best, or touted as one of the best... weird how quickly things change 

There was zero chance he was going to re-sign with Washington. 

Washington burned that bridge the year prior by franchising him again and not realizing his market value

Yes, these things need to change. It might be a reason I'd be in the market for Cousins in the offseason. Play calling needs to change and they need to improve their OL, which is weird because I feel like 2017 they were one of the best, or touted as one of the best... weird how quickly things change 
The line wasn't good last year either but they were more creative with play calling and got Keenum out of the pocket.  When they have done that this year Cousins has looked decent.  The OC has been terrible this year and the o-line just as bad.  The OC needs to play to the strengths (more roll outs and creativity on running plays).  I don't see the Vikes running any misdirection plays to help the O-line.  When they run its line up and go at people which this line is not good enough to do.  They also call too many late developing pass plays that the o-line can't block long enough for so Cousins is always under pressure.  Cousins hasn't been great but he isn't getting any help from his OC either.  With a more creative gameplan to help the o-line I think Cousins would be good with the weapons he has.  The OC and O-line combo has been the biggest problem all year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The line wasn't good last year either but they were more creative with play calling and got Keenum out of the pocket.  When they have done that this year Cousins has looked decent.  The OC has been terrible this year and the o-line just as bad.  The OC needs to play to the strengths (more roll outs and creativity on running plays).  I don't see the Vikes running any misdirection plays to help the O-line.  When they run its line up and go at people which this line is good enough to do.  They also call too many late developing pass plays that the o-line can't block long enough for so Cousins is always under pressure.  Cousins hasn't been great but he isn't getting any help from his OC either.  With a more creative gameplan to help the o-line I think Cousins would be good with the weapons he has.  The OC and O-line combo has been the biggest problem all year. 
More short timing passes would help a lot.  Way too long developing pass plays IMO.

starks said:
How confident are we rolling him out at home week 15? Dolphins got torched by Brady (who hasn't exactly been light it up either lately) and their top corner is questionable. 
Not very confident at the moment. Eyeing Carr as a streaming option. 

watched the post game conference with Cousins, he comes across as SOOOOO fake, such a BS'er. 'i said last week we needed to x,y,z this week, that didn't happen, we're still good we need to do better next week'. tongue in cheek. he's the cat with the birds feather in it's mouth. like 'ha gotcha, i got millions and millions and I'm not really worth half of that'.

oof, turning into a painful signing by Minnesota. 

watched the post game conference with Cousins, he comes across as SOOOOO fake, such a BS'er. 'i said last week we needed to x,y,z this week, that didn't happen, we're still good we need to do better next week'. tongue in cheek. he's the cat with the birds feather in it's mouth. like 'ha gotcha, i got millions and millions and I'm not really worth half of that'.

oof, turning into a painful signing by Minnesota. 
Give Cousins some credit....he fooled the Vikings. I look at QBs like Cousins and Stafford and they have worked the system well.

wow... Sam Bradford? Andy Dalton? is this the company this guy belongs with?

Stafford at least puts up some big numbers occasionally. I think if MIN got a Stafford out of this deal that would be pretty solid but that's just my opinion. 

.500 QB? Maybe I should rethink my idea to pursue this guy. I seem way off on his 2019 outlook. 

He is 1 fp/g less than Goff so far. Give this guy a solid OL and an OC with half a brain and can't we expect him to be better? I feel like he is a decent buy low candidate but maybe I'm wrong. Hard to filter the Viking haters and the butt hurt Redskins fans from those who have legitimate criticisms 

@Biabreakable what say you?

With the OC being fired and Rhodes now out this is looking a little better for Cousins. I got Keenan'd last night so I need a high floor, something I feel is just as good with Dak. 

I was planning on benching him for Allen but after much deliberation and analysis I think this matchup is too good to ignore and so I plan on starting him.

.500 QB? Maybe I should rethink my idea to pursue this guy. I seem way off on his 2019 outlook. 

@BiabreakableHe is 1 fp/g less than Goff so far. Give this guy a solid OL and an OC with half a brain and can't we expect him to be better?
Real world and fantasy are two different things. He can be a .500 QB and still put up FF points. He did it for years in Washington.

It’s easy to bag on him. I have been in the Vikings threads. But the OC play calling has been some of the worst I’ve ever seen over the last 4 weeks. 

Last year the Vikings were 13-3.  This year with Cousins they're 8-7-1.

Last year the Redskins were 7-9 with Cousins. This year with 4 different QB's they're 7-9.

Cousins leads teams to mediocrity, but teams don't need Cousins to be mediocre.  He sure came up mediocre again today. 

Last year the Vikings were 13-3.  This year with Cousins they're 8-7-1.

Last year the Redskins were 7-9 with Cousins. This year with 4 different QB's they're 7-9.

Cousins leads teams to mediocrity, but teams don't need Cousins to be mediocre.  He sure came up mediocre again today. 
Funny how @lod001 disappeared from this thread and the Redskins thread. Trolls always go back under the bridge when it's time to crash. 

Funny how @lod001 disappeared from this thread and the Redskins thread. Trolls always go back under the bridge when it's time to crash. 
:lmao:   I didn't need to go back to the Redskins thread. They have NO QB now.  They are now the NFC East bottom feeders. With Cousins at least they made the playoffs once. 

It would have been just slapping a loser in the face when he's down.

it's also pretty damn funny that you are all bowed up sticking your chest out and your team is no better off.

Skins O ranked 29th in points and 28th in yards. Yeah, you won that one. :lmao:  

:lmao:   I didn't need to go back to the Redskins thread. They have NO QB now.  They are now the NFC East bottom feeders. With Cousins at least they made the playoffs once. 

It would have been just slapping a loser in the face when he's down.

it's also pretty damn funny that you are all bowed up sticking your chest out and your team is no better off.

Skins O ranked 29th in points and 28th in yards. Yeah, you won that one. :lmao:  
Redskins won 7 games with Cousins last year. They won 7 this year with Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, Mark Sanchez, and Josh Johnson. The Vikings won 13 games last year with Case Keenum and 8 games this year with Kirk Cousins. 

And give me a break that you're above "slapping a loser in the face when he's down". You live for those moments. It's your favorite thing to do. 

Also, not bottom feeders. 3rd place. Giants are the bottom feeders. For 2 years in a row. 

The problem with the vikings is that Zimmer has decided they are going to be a defense first, run game focused offense and their line just cant do it. He's going to hammer that square peg into a round hole until they either get a top 5 oline or he's fired. Most likely the defense falls apart before they fix the offense and he's fired. 

From that article

in a game where their playoff lives were on the line, the Vikings played timid.
He is a mechanically sound quarterback. He has some good moments and has put up some good stats. But when it's time for Cousins to produce in big spots, he comes up small. It happens in almost every game. It happens all the time. 

The Vikings brought in Cousins to push them over the top. Not only didn't that happen, but they instead regressed. They became just another Cousins disappointment.

The problem with the vikings is that Zimmer has decided they are going to be a defense first, run game focused offense and their line just cant do it. He's going to hammer that square peg into a round hole until they either get a top 5 oline or he's fired. Most likely the defense falls apart before they fix the offense and he's fired. 
Every coach and fan of Kirk Cousins has thought that the problem with the team was something other than Kirk Cousins.

There's an established pattern here of Cousins underperforming and people making excuses for him.

Just before halftime, Cousins and his wide receiver, Adam Thielen, got into a heated discussion on the sideline.

It looks like (based on amateur lip reading) Cousins says, "I don't have 10 seconds"—presumably because Cousins felt he didn't have enough time for Thielen to run deeper and more complex routes.

Then, Thielen seems to say, "Just throw the ball."
I assume the Vikings will identify Thielen as the problem.

I’m sorry but Cousins isn’t the problem on this team. It’s super easy to say ‘The QB sux!!!!’ but those of us who watch the team weekly see that with time Kirk is a real upgrade over Teddy/Bradford/Keenam who all led us to some success. 

I think Kirk needs to let it rip, run more, take control more. But - if you didn’t come away from this game thinking that this OLine is the problem you aren’t very good at watching football. 

Nothing has changed. Cousins is what he's always been, a good/solid QB but not elite. And he has a history of struggling when the games matter the most. I don't think Cousins is the one who should be getting bashed, but the Vikings front office. And even though Washington seems to do almost everything wrong with their front office these days, letting him go and not paying him a huge contract actually looks pretty damn smart right now. Of course, paying what they did for Smith, and knowing he might not make it back is another kick in the bean bag. Again, I'm hoping they draft Daniel Jones. I think he's got the goods. 

Nothing has changed. Cousins is what he's always been, a good/solid QB but not elite. And he has a history of struggling when the games matter the most. I don't think Cousins is the one who should be getting bashed, but the Vikings front office. And even though Washington seems to do almost everything wrong with their front office these days, letting him go and not paying him a huge contract actually looks pretty damn smart right now. Of course, paying what they did for Smith, and knowing he might not make it back is another kick in the bean bag. Again, I'm hoping they draft Daniel Jones. I think he's got the goods. 
Pretty much this.  He doesn't suck, but he's not a Drew Brees/Peyton Manning that can carry a team. The problem in the NFL is teams paying those middle/slightly above average QB's top dollar just to ensure they have a good one - then having to sacrifice the rest of the team to do it.

Redskins actually made the right call not paying him, but having the top two QB's go out along with OL injuries galore will hurt any team. 

Overall, the lesson is - Invest in the O-line first.  Period.

From a friend of mine who is a Vikings fan (can't say I disagree with him)...

QB comparison

Kirk Cousins: 70% 4298 yds 30 tds 10 ints

Tom Brady: 66% 4355 yds 29 tds 11 ints

Deshaun Watson: 68% 4165 yds 26 tds 9 ints

Trubisky: 67% 3223 yds 24 tds 12 ints

Rivers: 68% 4308 yds 32 tds 12 ints

Comparison to a few playoff QBs. Certainly not in the same stratosphere as Mahomes/Roethlisberger/Luck/Rodgers...at best probably most comparable to Philip Rivers (who is a marginal MVP candidate) or Jared Goff. Cousins has the second highest completion pct among starting qbs (more than 5 games played).  Vikings o-line ranked 30th. He’s not problem.

I am not a Vikings fan - but I always thought Cousins was a decent qb.

Every coach and fan of Kirk Cousins has thought that the problem with the team was something other than Kirk Cousins.

There's an established pattern here of Cousins underperforming and people making excuses for him.
I'm not a big Cousin's fan. I think he's certainly overrated (at least before this year) and overpaid. That said, I believe he can be a productive QB in an offense that caters to his strengths. This offense maybe did the opposite.

Also, I know this season will be rightfully considered a failure, but if you look at their losses, they had a rough schedule. Here are their 7 losses: Bears x2, Pats, Seahawks, Saints, Rams and Bills. Other than the Bills game, every other loss is to a 10+ win playoff team. 

QB comparison

Comparison to a few playoff QBs. Certainly not in the same stratosphere as Mahomes/Roethlisberger/Luck/Rodgers...at best probably most comparable to Philip Rivers (who is a marginal MVP candidate) or Jared Goff. Cousins has the second highest completion pct among starting qbs (more than 5 games played).  Vikings o-line ranked 30th. He’s not problem.

He's always been a great FF QB, and a bad on the field results QB. Nothing new here.

QB comparison

Raw totals mean little in comparison. Cousins had tons more attempts than those guys, more than 100 more in the case of Watson and Rivers (why even bring up Trubisky who missed multiple games other than to be disingenuous?) His yards per attempt are the lowest of all the QB's named. Cousins is the king of dink and dunk and throw a 5 yard completion on 3rd down when you need 7 yards for the 1st down which is why his completion percentage is so high.

Raw totals mean little in comparison. Cousins had tons more attempts than those guys, more than 100 more in the case of Watson and Rivers (why even bring up Trubisky who missed multiple games other than to be disingenuous?) His yards per attempt are the lowest of all the QB's named. Cousins is the king of dink and dunk and throw a 5 yard completion on 3rd down when you need 7 yards for the 1st down which is why his completion percentage is so high.
Disingenuous? The comparison was to playoff qbs.  Now if I compared him to a non-playoff qb that would be disingenuous.  And...I was not even doing the comparison - it came from a buddy of mine who is a Vikings fan AND likes Cousins.

No, wins and losses are. No one other than FF folks care what his stats looked like. They saw him come up small against good teams, just like he did in Washington.
Maybe but it’s still hard to remove the player from the entire team around him. 

I will say this - he seems to not be able to improvise or play ‘agressive’ at all. Does he overthink stuff or just freeze under pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread