What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Online deals thread**** (1 Viewer)

So Costco's pre-Black Friday deals begin tomorrow. Let's say I were interested in the 65" Samsung 4K tv for $700 off (making it ~$1200). Would I need to get there right at store opening at 10am to snag one? Earlier? Anyone with any experience shopping Costco during pre-Black Friday deals, especially TVs/electronics?

Nothing is jumping out as a "must buy" at least to me it isn't. Black Friday is not what it used to be that is for sure.

So Costco's pre-Black Friday deals begin tomorrow. Let's say I were interested in the 65" Samsung 4K tv for $700 off (making it ~$1200). Would I need to get there right at store opening at 10am to snag one? Earlier? Anyone with any experience shopping Costco during pre-Black Friday deals, especially TVs/electronics?
Just wanted to answer my own question for anyone interested for future years...there was absolutely no need to be at Costco at store opening for these pre-Black Friday deals based on what I experienced today. That's all.

I'm looking for a PS4 with Battlefront for my sone for Christmas. Should I wait it out? I never buy things like that around the holidays. Tia.

Samsung JS9000 (currently $1597 @ Amazon for the 48", $1997 for the 55").

This is the TV you want, gamers. Absolutely awesome gaming tv. SUHD/4k/ the all-important connect box, multi ports. Best overall TV out there in this person's humble opinion.

just wondering how do you determine this? I noticed the 120hz refresh rate. . I just figured video games were more video demanding than a movie?
We would be talking about a couple of different things here.

With video games, the input lag is the thing you want to look at in testing controller response from the user input (the gamer). This TV has one of the best input lags out there anywhere close to the price point. It comes in around 26.5 Ms. If I was buying a tv solely for playing PS4/xbox, this tv at this price is the one I buy.

On the movie side, though, we are talking about contrast and judder. The contrast isn't very good and the blacks are not deep blacks. There is no HDR/3d capabilities, and won't self-adjust the lighting/dimming. When watching movies from a source like a blu-ray, the "judder" (that little noticeable blurry, fuzzy aspect that causes you to notice a jerk in the picture) is prevelant. Your refresh rate will be fine but because of mismatches between the refresh rate and the frequency of the mive (24hz in Blu-ray case), you see the jerking action.

just wondering how do you determine this? I noticed the 120hz refresh rate. . I just figured video games were more video demanding than a movie?

With video games, the input lag is the thing you want to look at in testing controller response from the user input (the gamer). This TV has one of the best input lags out there anywhere close to the price point. It comes in around 26.5 Ms. If I was buying a tv solely for playing PS4/xbox, this tv at this price is the one I buy.

On the movie side, though, we are talking about contrast and judder. The contrast isn't very good and the blacks are not deep blacks. There is no HDR/3d capabilities, and won't self-adjust the lighting/dimming. When watching movies from a source like a blu-ray, the "judder" (that little noticeable blurry, fuzzy aspect that causes you to notice a jerk in the picture) is prevelant. Your refresh rate will be fine but because of mismatches between the refresh rate and the frequency of the mive (24hz in Blu-ray case), you see the jerking action.
okay so if looking just for a movie tv what would be the main focus?

does 120 & 240hz matter at all?

okay so if looking just for a movie tv what would be the main focus?

does 120 & 240hz matter at all?
Contrast & the ability to get dark, dark black ratios. Those two things set the bar for everything else. 120/240 is important but less overall if you are watching blu-ray, etc because it's a different animal of signal transmission vs. processing power, blur, etc.

The next biggest thing on a "movie" tv is the Judder (blurring). You want to find one that says "24p blur-free:yes" or, if its not that straight forward, be thinking of seeing capabilities of HDMI 2.0 (want to see all that true 4k content in all its glory).

In general, an OLED TV will meet those needs best and provide best range of colors. The black is superb because the light actually goes out (not dimmed) so it is a true black.

Downside is very costly so it's not an option for most people to justify putting that much into a Tv.

In general, if you are looking for one for movie watching AND you want to be thinking of true 4k ability AND want to future proof the tv for the next wave of viewing, I would suggest at LEAST a 48" set but 55 and 65" are going to maximize what you truly get out of it. Distance from your TV and where you sit is important and the distance is much shorter than you think (about 8-9 feet for a 55'). Right now, you can get all that from $1200-$2000. Panasonic, Samsung, and LG are clear leaders. Most people I know prefer any of those three over Sony. I could make a case for any of the three but the Samsung is probably going to be, dollar for dollar, the easiest to afford.

whats the ruling on sound bars. are they worth the $150 or so
Yes, given almost every TV (under $3500)'s poor speaker setup for anything other than casual listening, $150 brings your setup to a new level.
Anyone you could recommend?
The Vizio line of sound bars have gotten very good reviews. I have one for our living room TV and it's decent but I bought Sony HT-XT1s for my sons and they sound better than the Vizio and have multiple HDMI inputs and one output so they are easier to setup IMO. Either way whatever you go with will sound significantly better than the TV speakers.

You can probably get their rotisserie chicken salad pretty cheap right now.

Don't get too excited yet. I've been watching a few tv's for a while now and the Best Buy sale price for the last few months is the same as the "One day only BF Price."

One tv is still $200 more than last year at this time. Same model.

Just sayin.

Spent some time looking through the walmart ad, looks like my main focus will be

-NBA 2K16 and Madden 16 for $27 each

-Fitbit flex for $59

Lots of cheap tablets and TVs, but not really in the market for either.

Got the Samsung Note 5 at Target for $0.01 with 2 yr last night. They're offering the same deal for the GS6 too. It's in their BF ad but have been offering this deal since Sunday, getting a jump on the competition I guess? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread