What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Jets coach Rex Ryan gave Geno Smith another vote of confidence on Tuesday.

"Absolutely," Ryan said when asked if he still believed in his quarterback. "I definitely believe in Geno Smith." Although Ryan has made a habit of sticking by his ineffective quarterbacks through thick and thin, he seems to realize New York's offensive struggles don't all fall at the feet of Smith. It's impossible to construe Smith's play as "good," but he's not getting any help. Michael Vick's play in recent years suggests he's not the answer, but Smith is now at weekly risk of being benched.

Related: Michael Vick

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter
Oct 7 - 3:35 PM

How do you miss meetings when you have a cell phone? Wasn't it blowing up when he wasn't there? SD is not a huge city and he should have been able to get there even if he found out he was late.
It's not like it would help him. He's horrific.

:lmao: This idiot can't even get the times for meetings correct. How the hell does anyone thing he can run a play correctly?
It's worse if you consider he isn't that dumb and instead he may not have cared he was missing the meeting.

I can't seem him sticking around once the staff gets cleared out this offseason. Still holding him in a deep league until i see something really enticing on the wire.

Wait, that means Floyd M. put 815K on a single football game? Is that what that ticket says?
Not even remotely surprising. He carries around $1 million in a briefcase everywhere he goes. Literally. And he had two checks equalling like $72 million for one single PPV fight a couple months ago.
Its amazing he's able to make that kind of cash in a sport as dead as boxing

brohans no one is the new blaine poopy pants gabbert i have never seen geno curl up in the fetal position because he saw a guy wearing a defense shirt in the stands holy cow was blaine bad and he ruined one of the most proud and storied franchisez in the nfl so no geno is not the new blaine oops i pooped my pants gabbert take that to the bank brochachos

Is Geno's career on the line tonight?
His career? No.
I'm more concerned Geno runs out of time. I believe he has the skills to be a solid NFL QB and a pretty useful fantasy QB. Problem is they've given him nothing to work with. Decker is a nice start; Amaro is flashing, though still dropping critical passes. The team is $20MM under the cap - wtf were they sitting on that much money for?

Rex Ryan is probably gone after this year. Does the GM survive? Likely, but does he bring in a coach with the stated goal of developing Geno, or does he bring in a HC and hand over the reins? We've seen scenario 1 completely blow up before.

Once Ryan is gone, no guarantees for Geno in NY... at which point you're waiting for him to MAYBE land somewhere else with a shot at a job. Not sure I see it, even though I like the skills.

Sure feels like the deck has been stacked against the kid.

His career? No.
I'm more concerned Geno runs out of time. I believe he has the skills to be a solid NFL QB and a pretty useful fantasy QB. Problem is they've given him nothing to work with. Decker is a nice start; Amaro is flashing, though still dropping critical passes. The team is $20MM under the cap - wtf were they sitting on that much money for?Rex Ryan is probably gone after this year. Does the GM survive? Likely, but does he bring in a coach with the stated goal of developing Geno, or does he bring in a HC and hand over the reins? We've seen scenario 1 completely blow up before.

Once Ryan is gone, no guarantees for Geno in NY... at which point you're waiting for him to MAYBE land somewhere else with a shot at a job. Not sure I see it, even though I like the skills.

He has to win this one and then beat the Bills next game. This is the season here. Go 2-0 in the division and the're in the hunt. Lose and Geno is dead and this is Ryan's last season most likely. I don't see him getting more time to 'develop' after this.

His career? No.
I'm more concerned Geno runs out of time. I believe he has the skills to be a solid NFL QB and a pretty useful fantasy QB. Problem is they've given him nothing to work with. Decker is a nice start; Amaro is flashing, though still dropping critical passes. The team is $20MM under the cap - wtf were they sitting on that much money for?Rex Ryan is probably gone after this year. Does the GM survive? Likely, but does he bring in a coach with the stated goal of developing Geno, or does he bring in a HC and hand over the reins? We've seen scenario 1 completely blow up before.

He has to win this one and then beat the Bills next game. This is the season here. Go 2-0 in the division and the're in the hunt. Lose and Geno is dead and this is Ryan's last season most likely. I don't see him getting more time to 'develop' after this.
I respectfully disagree.

A couple of bad drops tonight. Geno is playing pretty well.

Would he be serviceable with 2 decent guards and 2 more decent receivers? Perhaps. The issue is you can't really wait another year and a half to find out.

Would he be serviceable with 2 decent guards and 2 more decent receivers? Perhaps. The issue is you can't really wait another year and a half to find out.
I have not seen him play every game, but every time I see him, he looks comfortable with the offense, not rushed, and seems to go through his progressions well, and I like the way the ball come out.

I have not seen him play every game, but every time I see him, he looks comfortable with the offense, not rushed, and seems to go through his progressions well, and I like the way the ball come out.
The problem is he's good for 2-3 absolutely horrendous decisions nearly every week. The arm talent and mobility are obvious. He's physically tough as well.

90% of the time I just think its never gonna happen. But then there's nights like tonight where we Jet fans get that little bit of hope that he could be pretty good with even average talent around him. If you count Decker as the WR #1, you could make the argument that the Jets are below league average at every single offensive position other than Center (and Mangold is fading), LT (again, Ferguson is on the downside) and maybe RB (ivory is pretty good)

The problem is he's good for 2-3 absolutely horrendous decisions nearly every week. The arm talent and mobility are obvious. He's physically tough as well.

90% of the time I just think its never gonna happen. But then there's nights like tonight where we Jet fans get that little bit of hope that he could be pretty good with even average talent around him. If you count Decker as the WR #1, you could make the argument that the Jets are below league average at every single offensive position other than Center (and Mangold is fading), LT (again, Ferguson is on the downside) and maybe RB (ivory is pretty good)
As a Bears fan, I read this and my first thought is Jay Cutler. A QB that make the right decision 90% of the time isn't really going to cut it in the this league...unless the rest of the team is legit.

I like Smith more as a fantasy QB than an actual QB.

As a Bears fan, I read this and my first thought is Jay Cutler. A QB that make the right decision 90% of the time isn't really going to cut it in the this league...unless the rest of the team is legit. I like Smith more as a fantasy QB than an actual QB.
If mike Tannenbaum wasn't a moron, the jets would have Jeffrey and their situations might be reversed

As a Bears fan, I read this and my first thought is Jay Cutler. A QB that make the right decision 90% of the time isn't really going to cut it in the this league...unless the rest of the team is legit.

I like Smith more as a fantasy QB than an actual QB.
I like him more as a fantasy QB than NFL one as well, but I just don't buy it's all his fault. I think a lot of the real head-scratching decisions come when he's trying to do too much. He's not Aaron Rodgers or Manning who can make poor WRs look pretty solid, but give him some weapons and he's not the problem.

Geno Smith can win in the NFL. I question whether the Jets can.

Geno Smith can win in the NFL. I question whether the Jets can.
Yeah I don't think he's been the glaring problem with the Jets. Ultimately the QB will always be the player taking the fall. (Even if in only his 2nd year)

I don't know how long he'll be the Jets starter at QB . (If Rex ulimately fired/new staff brought in). On the downside for Geno, this will be his best shot to be/remain NFL starter

Last edited by a moderator:
brohans no one is the new blaine poopy pants gabbert i have never seen geno curl up in the fetal position because he saw a guy wearing a defense shirt in the stands holy cow was blaine bad and he ruined one of the most proud and storied franchisez in the nfl so no geno is not the new blaine oops i pooped my pants gabbert take that to the bank brochachos
I couldn't have said it better myself Bromanoff. :hifive:

I like Geno. He seems fairly football smart. He's tough. He can make all the throws. He can run. But damn, he needs help! O-line isn't that great, WRs/TE are the suck. Defense isn't really helping him out either.

If I were his teammate, I could get behind him. He takes some shots and bounces right back up. That motivates guys to wanna help him out. He doesn't 8itch and complain. He just goes to work. He's still learning...but at least he is progressing! You want your young players to do that. Can't hang this season all on him. They have been competitive in all their games. If they had a couple playmakers outside and on defense they could be leading their division!

I'd like to see them keep Ryan and Geno next year, nail their draft, and bring in some good FAs. Odds are it won't happen though.

I've said it before - he's Kyle Boller. Great arm strength, good mobility, tough as nails. All of that gives you enough hope that maybe he'll turn the corner and be good. And then the reality is, he never is good, and you've wasted years telling yourself that maybe he'll get good, instead of actually going out and finding a real QB.

Rotoworld:

Coach Rex Ryan said he has "no idea" who he'll start at quarterback in Week 9.

Geno Smith's minor right shoulder issue was not the reason he was benched early in Sunday's ugly loss to the Bills. It was because he threw interceptions on three straight drives, further regressing in his second NFL season. Michael Vick came to complete 18-of-36 passes for 152 yards and an interception, adding 69 yards on eight carries. If Rex wants to win games, Vick would give him a slightly better shot.

Related: Michael Vick

Source: Judy Battista on Twitter

Oct 26 - 5:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Rex Ryan said he has "no idea" who he'll start at quarterback in Week 9.
:lmao:

The Geno Stinks era is over. Fortunately it didn't fester for a long time. 1.5 years to find out that your QB is 100% pure garbage and has no business playing QB in the NFL is not a bad price to pay for making a 2nd round draft blunder.

Users who are viewing this thread