What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Posnanski's 100 Greatest Baseball Players Ever (1 Viewer)

From today:

Here’s a question: How good was Los Angeles’ Locke High School baseball team in 1973? Eddie Murray was the first baseman. Ozzie Smith was the shortstop.

He's into the top 50 now. I've read up to Roy Campanella. I don't agree with all of his rankings but the writing is terrific.

Really loving this list. Surprised Murray got so much love, but as one of my fav players, I won't complain. About as steady as they come, and played in the dreaded 70s-80s which didnt help the raw stats.

SWEET. Love this list. So, who are the top 38? My take, no real order within each tier:

Slam Dunks - MUST be on the list

Babe Ruth Ty Cobb Mike Schmidt Lou Gehrig Willie Mays Hank Aaron Barry Bonds Roger Clemens Jimmy Foxx Tom Seaver Rickie Henderson Mickie Mantle Mel Ott Yaz Joe Morgan Randy Johnson Eddie Mathews Frank Robinson Greg Maddux Walter Johnson Cy Young Honus Wagner Stan Musial Rogers Hornsby Tris Speaker Ted Williams Pete Alexander Christy Matthewson Joe Dimmagio Johnny Bench Lefty Grove Mordecai Brown Jim Palmer

Prob on the list:

Cal Ripken Ralph Kiner Alex Rodriguez George Brett Al Simmons Next Best: Home Run Baker Edgar Martinez Don Sutton Carlton Fisk Orlando Sepeda Duke Sniper Rickie Ashburn Willie Stargell Whitey Ford George Sisler Bob Lemon Dan Brouthers So, who'd I miss? Get wrong?

Into the top 40. Ring up the Casey Kasem.

SWEET. Love this list. So, who are the top 38? My take, no real order within each tier:

Slam Dunks - MUST be on the list

Babe Ruth Ty Cobb Mike Schmidt Lou Gehrig Willie Mays Hank Aaron Barry Bonds Roger Clemens Jimmy Foxx Tom Seaver Rickie Henderson Mickie Mantle Mel Ott Yaz Joe Morgan Randy Johnson Eddie Mathews Frank Robinson Greg Maddux Walter Johnson Cy Young Honus Wagner Stan Musial Rogers Hornsby Tris Speaker Ted Williams Pete Alexander Christy Matthewson Joe Dimmagio Johnny Bench Lefty Grove Mordecai BrownJim Palmer

Prob on the list:

Cal Ripken Ralph Kiner Alex Rodriguez George Brett Al Simmons Next Best: Home Run Baker Edgar Martinez Don Sutton Carlton Fisk Orlando Sepeda Duke Sniper Rickie Ashburn Willie Stargell Whitey Ford George Sisler Bob Lemon Dan BrouthersSo, who'd I miss? Get wrong?

Into the top 40. Ring up the Casey Kasem.
Ed Walsh maybe. His career might have been too short though.

Yes, Gibson is top 10 all time. Agree with all of Gibson, Paige, and Charleston being included.

And LOL at Ripken "probably" making it.

Users who are viewing this thread