What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (3 Viewers)

Made a series of purchases:

TV: Samsung Q8DT (I think its just the version of the Q80T that the big box stores sell, I'm not aware of any other discernable difference)

Sound Bar: Samsung HW-Q70T

Streaming Device: Fire TV Cube

I have alot of devices I plan to hook up to this bad boy once my basement is completed. I'll have a XBOX One, Nintendo Switch, Fire Cube, Cable Box, etc... I want to use the eArc capabilities that the soundbar can utilize, but I'm a bit of a noob as to how to set that part up. It sounds like that I'm going to need to invest in an HDMI splitter so I can use the dedicated eArc port with the sound bar, and have alot of the other HDMI options hooked to the hdmi receiver. 

Am I thinking about this right? 

I was thinking of these switches here and here

TV: Samsung Q8DT (I think its just the version of the Q80T that the big box stores sell, I'm not aware of any other discernable difference)

I have alot of devices I plan to hook up to this bad boy once my basement is completed. I'll have a XBOX One, Nintendo Switch, Fire Cube, Cable Box, etc... I want to use the eArc capabilities that the soundbar can utilize, but I'm a bit of a noob as to how to set that part up. It sounds like that I'm going to need to invest in an HDMI splitter so I can use the dedicated eArc port with the sound bar, and have alot of the other HDMI options hooked to the hdmi receiver. 

I hope you will have more success with the disaster that eARC has been for me, and you might since it's mainly Samsung.

I don't get your setup. Why are you using a receiver with the sound bar?

How it works is your TV sends the signal from your source through the TV eARC connection to the bar without loss/compression. So you don't need a reciever.

If you have more devices than you have inputs to your TV, what you're looking for is an HDMI switch, not splitter.

So...devices connect to the switch, switch to the TV, TV to the sound bar. And Bob's your uncle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the 77 LG CX this past week. The picture during HDR/4K movies is awesome, but I can see why if you're watching sports or regular content it's not a game breaker. 

However, I do love the Lg WebOS. It has all the apps a Roku TV has (well least the ones I care about Netflix and Amazon), but since the web browser is based off Chrome it plays streaming sites. Previously a friend was using Chromecast in order to watch a UFC ppv or NFL redzone. That's not something you can do with Roku or Samsung TV. I know you can get the same functionality with Firestick or Chromecast, but it is nice not having to do it natively on the TV. 

Just something else to consider.

I don't get your setup. Why are you using a receiver with the sound bar?

How it works is your TV sends the signal from your source through the TV eARC connection to the bar without loss/compression. So you don't need a reciever.

If you have more devices than you have inputs to your TV, what you're looking for is an HDMI switch, not splitter.

So...devices connect to the switch, switch to the TV, TV to the sound bar. And Bob's your uncle.
Thanks Andy -  I meant to say switch instead of Splitter/Receiver, that's my fault!

So I'll have the 1 HDMI port with the Switch, 1 HDMI port for the eArc, does it make a difference if any devices are hooked directly to the TV?

Appreciate the insight fellas!

I hope you will have more success with the disaster that eARC has been for me, and you might since it's mainly Samsung.
I'm hoping that having both devices from the same manufacturer will help the devices communicate with each other better - we'll see!

Thanks Andy -  I meant to say switch instead of Splitter/Receiver, that's my fault!

So I'll have the 1 HDMI port with the Switch, 1 HDMI port for the eArc, does it make a difference if any devices are hooked directly to the TV?

Appreciate the insight fellas!
Your TV should have two or three HDMI inputs. You can use one for the switch and the others for other components. You would then just select whichever HDMI you're using from the TV.

There is ONE eArc output that will go out to the sound bar.

Your TV should have two or three HDMI inputs. You can use one for the switch and the others for other components. You would then just select whichever HDMI you're using from the TV.

There is ONE eArc output that will go out to the sound bar.
Perfect - there's 4 HDMI inputs with my Q8DT , 1 is for Gaming (I'll have the XBOX ONE hooked up there for now), 1 is the eArc, then there are 2 more inputs, I'll have the HDMI Switch in one, but wasnt sure if I should put Cable in the other or not. I'm looking into potentially a new Bluray player as well, I saw the one you recommended somewhere in the thread which I'll have to check out

Well, I officially took the plunge with the Hisense H9G.   Seems like nothing was getting rated like that one was for that %700-$1k price range, and it seemed to have a decent amount of wiggle room for when other tech comes out like the PS5, and it was an Android TV so I could ditch the Roku and stream everything through the TV itself.    It will be here on Sunday, and I am guessing I will break down and get a 4K bluray player by then as well.   

I was suprised at how cheap the UHD bluray movies were at Best Buy as I was walking through today - Marvel movies for $15, some decent titles for $7.    I don't need to repurchase all my movies, but I wouldn't mind input from @Andy Dufresne or anybody else as to what 4k movies have been worth the investment.  

I was suprised at how cheap the UHD bluray movies were at Best Buy as I was walking through today - Marvel movies for $15, some decent titles for $7.    I don't need to repurchase all my movies, but I wouldn't mind input from @Andy Dufresne or anybody else as to what 4k movies have been worth the investment.  
Prices have come way down this year. Here's what I'd get right away

The Shining

Jaws

Apocalypse Now

Blade Runner (and 2049 if you liked it)

Alien

Hitchcock Collection

If you like the Marvel moves, those all pretty great.

There really aren't many bad  looking 4k titles. And they all sound good.

The Shining

Jaws

Apocalypse Now

Alien

Hitchcock Collection

I do have Apocalypse Now.  I bought that when the new version came out since I didn't see it in the theater.  Thanks for the recommendations.   I think The Shining was one that was there for $9, but I was in a bit of a rush and could look around too much.  

I just got the 77 LG CX this past week. The picture during HDR/4K movies is awesome, but I can see why if you're watching sports or regular content it's not a game breaker. 

However, I do love the Lg WebOS. It has all the apps a Roku TV has (well least the ones I care about Netflix and Amazon), but since the web browser is based off Chrome it plays streaming sites. Previously a friend was using Chromecast in order to watch a UFC ppv or NFL redzone. That's not something you can do with Roku or Samsung TV. I know you can get the same functionality with Firestick or Chromecast, but it is nice not having to do it natively on the TV. 

Just something else to consider.
So jealous you got the 77 though realistically it wouldn't have fit in the space I have. What cable/stream provider do you have where the sports/programming isn't a game breaker? I have UVerse which has the worst PQ of all the options but plan to replace it soon. 

Well, I officially took the plunge with the Hisense H9G.   Seems like nothing was getting rated like that one was for that %700-$1k price range, and it seemed to have a decent amount of wiggle room for when other tech comes out like the PS5, and it was an Android TV so I could ditch the Roku and stream everything through the TV itself.    It will be here on Sunday, and I am guessing I will break down and get a 4K bluray player by then as well.   

Best Buy has big sales all this week for the holidays

The Shining

Jaws

Apocalypse Now

Alien

Hitchcock Collection

Looks like we are on the same page. I have or have bought all of those except Alien (not my favorite). I've heard Spartacus is amazing. I have the blu ray and it's insanely good so I can imagine how nice the 4k is. Have you seen Top Gun 4k? 

So jealous you got the 77 though realistically it wouldn't have fit in the space I have. What cable/stream provider do you have where the sports/programming isn't a game breaker? I have UVerse which has the worst PQ of all the options but plan to replace it soon. 

Best Buy has big sales all this week for the holidays

Looks like we are on the same page. I have or have bought all of those except Alien (not my favorite). I've heard Spartacus is amazing. I have the blu ray and it's insanely good so I can imagine how nice the 4k is. Have you seen Top Gun 4k? 
That was one that I almost grabbed quick on the way out.   I assume that Back to the Future will also be tracked down by me.  My first Bluray purchase, and might as well keep the tradition going and make it one of my first 4K purchases.  

That was one that I almost grabbed quick on the way out.   I assume that Back to the Future will also be tracked down by me.  My first Bluray purchase, and might as well keep the tradition going and make it one of my first 4K purchases.  
Yeah the BTTF looks and sounds great, would recommend. I am sure the Top Gun is awesome. I have it on Blu ray so am not sure I will get the 4k. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is looks and especially sounds fantastic. I've been ordering a ton of stuff lately- just hitting up the sales at Best Buy and Barnes and Noble (though Criterion doesn't do 4ks).

Yeah the BTTF looks and sounds great, would recommend. I am sure the Top Gun is awesome. I have it on Blu ray so am not sure I will get the 4k. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is looks and especially sounds fantastic. I've been ordering a ton of stuff lately- just hitting up the sales at Best Buy and Barnes and Noble (though Criterion doesn't do 4ks).
For some reason I thought they did.  Is their streaming service in 4k?

@KarmaPolice @Ilov80s

Both BTTF and Top Gun look and sound great.
My next question to you and @Ilov80s as you started to watch these - can you tell the difference between the UHD discs you are watching vs your blurays that your player/TV would upconvert? 

I noticed that along with the Marvel movies being on sale, it looked like the Pixar ones were too.  I am guessing animated stuff looks great, and I actually don't have a ton of Pixar on bluray since they are always a bit more $, and my daughter is creeped out by most of them currently anyway.  

My next question to you and @Ilov80s as you started to watch these - can you tell the difference between the UHD discs you are watching vs your blurays that your player/TV would upconvert? 

I noticed that along with the Marvel movies being on sale, it looked like the Pixar ones were too.  I am guessing animated stuff looks great, and I actually don't have a ton of Pixar on bluray since they are always a bit more $, and my daughter is creeped out by most of them currently anyway.  
That is a better question for Andy as I haven't really gotten into it  enough to watch a movie on both formats. I definitely noticed Once Upon a Time looking way better but I also massively upgraded the TV so it's not exactly a controlled experiment. Maybe this week I will check out a couple movies I have in both formats to check the difference. 

Yes. At first you might question it but the longer you watch 4k material the more noticeable it is that it's sharper than upscaled Blu Ray. The jump from DVD to BD WAS definitely bigger, but it's still a jump from BD to 4k.

The Pixar stuff is ridiculously good.

Andy, any advice on my sound issue with the LC CX? It is doing it again today. Started out fine, voice and lips synced up on the live local news. But just like yesterday, my wife, who is retired, has pretty much had the TV on all day and they are starting to diverge again. By 5:30, they are out of whack, but only when watching the live news. I don't have any sound bar or anything, this is just an HDMI cable running from the cable box to the TV with sound playing through the TV. From what I have read, syncing shouldn't be a factor if I'm not using external devices, but here we are. One note, the cable box is a wireless box. I don't know if this could be a factor.

I ordered a new HDMI 2.1 cable that will be here tomorrow and I plan to go through the rtings.com settings guide. But I am pretty bummed to be having this issue given how much I dropped on this TV. Any advice would be uber-appreciated.

Andy, any advice on my sound issue with the LC CX? It is doing it again today. Started out fine, voice and lips synced up on the live local news. But just like yesterday, my wife, who is retired, has pretty much had the TV on all day and they are starting to diverge again. By 5:30, they are out of whack, but only when watching the live news. I don't have any sound bar or anything, this is just an HDMI cable running from the cable box to the TV with sound playing through the TV. From what I have read, syncing shouldn't be a factor if I'm not using external devices, but here we are. One note, the cable box is a wireless box. I don't know if this could be a factor.

I ordered a new HDMI 2.1 cable that will be here tomorrow and I plan to go through the rtings.com settings guide. But I am pretty bummed to be having this issue given how much I dropped on this TV. Any advice would be uber-appreciated.
I had an audio sync issue with my Sony too. For me, it was a specific audio setting I had selected. I don't know which it was, sorry.

I'd suggest Googling your model number with "audio sync" and see if there's results. Usually you're not the first person with the problem and people are eager to share solutions on A/V boards.

I had an audio sync issue with my Sony too. For me, it was a specific audio setting I had selected. I don't know which it was, sorry.

I'd suggest Googling your model number with "audio sync" and see if there's results. Usually you're not the first person with the problem and people are eager to share solutions on A/V boards.
Thanks, I am  hoping running through the settings article will help. But I did Google it,  and all threads led to manual sync settings. I'm just not convinced that is the way to go for this since it only happens on live news. If I adjust for that, I'm afraid it will throw everything else off. Or that I'll simply screw it up and make a mess of things.

For all of you guys that haven't made the jump to 4K. Think about this, buy the movie you want in 4K and you get the blu-ray along with it.

Sooner or later you will go to 4K.

Thanks, I am  hoping running through the settings article will help. But I did Google it,  and all threads led to manual sync settings. I'm just not convinced that is the way to go for this since it only happens on live news. If I adjust for that, I'm afraid it will throw everything else off. Or that I'll simply screw it up and make a mess of things.
Well that is strange. Only live news on one channel or live news on ANY channel?

Hmmm...reading a bit it seems this is a known issue with LG TVs that LG won't fix.

A couple things to try - go to sound, go to Additional settings, then change Digital Sound Out to Pass Through.

If that doesn't work, turn on PCM.

Comcast through coaxial. 

Live TV is at 720p or 1080i/p. So going 4k or OLED doesn't maximize the strengths of the CX which is deep blacks and infinite contrast. Sports and live TV are generally brightly lit. The wow factor of OLED only really shows up when you're watching high quality shows/movies up close. 

What is Harmony?
The logitech harmony remote. Its totally configurable and allows you to setup all your devices, push one button on the remote for an activity and the appropriate devices turn on. Like "watch tv" turns on the TV, cable box, and receiver.  "Watch bluray" and your bd player is on along with TV and receiver.  Cable box turns off.

Its the cats' ###!

tons of models depending on your needs.

Hopefully you weren't being sarcastic. Otherwise, move along. Nothing to see here.

Well that is strange. Only live news on one channel or live news on ANY channel?

Hmmm...reading a bit it seems this is a known issue with LG TVs that LG won't fix.

A couple things to try - go to sound, go to Additional settings, then change Digital Sound Out to Pass Through.

If that doesn't work, turn on PCM.
Thanks! Will give these a try.

All our local channels, even if it is national news. Though mostly we are watching local news. So definitely more than one channel.

p.s. I shut the TV off for an hour or so and when we turned it back on, it lined up again.

Looks like Tenet will be released in a few weeks.  I will for sure get that one and a couple other Nolan movies on the Christmas list.  

If you want to dip your toe into 4k programming, you can get a few good digital movies for pretty cheap on sale at iTunes. 4k discs are better, but not by as much as you might think. And there are some titles that Apple has that aren't even available on 4k disc (Fargo, Robocop, Edge of Tomorrow, Chinatown - for example).

Several on sale at Amazon too.

If you get into digital, you'll likely cobble together your collection from multiple sources (iTunes, Vudu, Google, Fandango, Amazon,...) in which case you can consolidate MOST (but not all) titles through one Movies Anywhere account. It's still a bit of wild west in this space, but it's getting closer to being unified.

The logitech harmony remote. Its totally configurable and allows you to setup all your devices, push one button on the remote for an activity and the appropriate devices turn on. Like "watch tv" turns on the TV, cable box, and receiver.  "Watch bluray" and your bd player is on along with TV and receiver.  Cable box turns off.

Its the cats' ###!

Hopefully you weren't being sarcastic. Otherwise, move along. Nothing to see here.
Totally disagree. It used to be awesome before Logitech bought them, but now it's the only game in town and they don't give af about support or helping configuration issues. I need to insert a delay after Receiver power on and set starting channel on xfinity.  And you can't, it's ridiculous. And there is no competition in the commercial space.

OK, so I was looking at the Sony 900X and up sets last night. There is a special place in my heart for Sony. For a long time, that was all I owned and I felt about Sony how I feel about Apple computers (their phones can go to hell. Just kidding, just not my preference). Here's what I'm thinking. I'm looking for one of these three TV's in a 65 inch between now and cyber monday:

TCL 6 series mini LED (2020)

Samsung Q8 (Q9 with the 480 dimming zones would be better, but not likely)

Sony 900 or higher (Best buy near me has a 950G open box for $860 that I'm intrigued by but haven't seen first hand so no idea if it has burn in or what)

I think I would be happy with any of these for fireplace season to replace that BS 55 inch curve Curve thing I bought (I had them mark it down to the price of a non curved TV because that curve thing was an overpriced waste of a feature) that has the black line that runs up the left side one inch in from the outside. 
I'm no TV guru and I've had the Sony X900H for about a month and so far I'm happy with my purchase. Love watching football on this thing. It's the nicest and biggest TV I've ever owned. I wasn't quite ready to go the OLED route just yet. I was in Costco yesterday and they have the 65" marked back down to $969. Great price IMO. 

Totally disagree. It used to be awesome before Logitech bought them, but now it's the only game in town and they don't give af about support or helping configuration issues. I need to insert a delay after Receiver power on and set starting channel on xfinity.  And you can't, it's ridiculous. And there is no competition in the commercial space.
Works great for me.  :shrug:

My daughter will be moving into her first apartment in January and wants to purchase a good size smart TV for ~ $500.  She will be streaming all of her content (YTTV and Netflix mostly).  Any recommendations for the best bang for the buck for $500 on or around Black Friday?  4K probably isn't mandatory.

Also trying to decide 55" vs 65", but leaning 65".

Its the cats' ###!

I thought he was talking about a website for deals. I totally forgot about the Harmony. I may need to go that route. Thank you. 

I'm no TV guru and I've had the Sony X900H for about a month and so far I'm happy with my purchase. Love watching football on this thing. It's the nicest and biggest TV I've ever owned. I wasn't quite ready to go the OLED route just yet. I was in Costco yesterday and they have the 65" marked back down to $969. Great price IMO. 
I have a special place in my heart for Sony. 

Not sure which Harmony model you have, but my 4-5 year old Harmony remote definitely has the ability to insert delays into its activities.  And I've always gotten awesome support from Logitech.  

Not sure which Harmony model you have, but my 4-5 year old Harmony remote definitely has the ability to insert delays into its activities.  And I've always gotten awesome support from Logitech.  
So does mine, I have the One and it's got the app and it's just a huge pain in the ### and doesn't work well all the time.

ETA I've had a bunch of different Harmony remotes, they haven't lasted long and the new one with the app sucks. It's now called the Hub and companion. And with the Hub you have to use the mobile app to do all of the programming vs the old desktop app. That's the biggest issue for me. I can add delays all over the place but there are certain steps that you can't add the delay between.

My daughter will be moving into her first apartment in January and wants to purchase a good size smart TV for ~ $500.  She will be streaming all of her content (YTTV and Netflix mostly).  Any recommendations for the best bang for the buck for $500 on or around Black Friday?  4K probably isn't mandatory.

Also trying to decide 55" vs 65", but leaning 65".
Hisense and TCL seem to make the best affordable TVs. She can get a 4K 65 inch TCL with built in Roku TV for all her steaming needs for 429 right now at Best Buy 

So does mine, I have the One and it's got the app and it's just a huge pain in the ### and doesn't work well all the time.

ETA I've had a bunch of different Harmony remotes, they haven't lasted long and the new one with the app sucks. It's now called the Hub and companion. And with the Hub you have to use the mobile app to do all of the programming vs the old desktop app. That's the biggest issue for me. I can add delays all over the place but there are certain steps that you can't add the delay between.
That sucks, i'm still holding onto my Harmony 880 that I've had for 10+ years.  Battery is getting old though, not sure how much time it will be before I have to figure out something new.

The Tick said:
That sucks, i'm still holding onto my Harmony 880 that I've had for 10+ years.  Battery is getting old though, not sure how much time it will be before I have to figure out something new.
I had one of those and a few others.....they all died :(

Users who are viewing this thread