What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (3 Viewers)

This tv is making me feel old.  Might have to have one of you youngsters come over and program it for me.  :lol:

Anyway, wtf is the difference for the programs coming through in HDR10, and just regular? I was playing around with the settings and noticed that of the 3-4 things I tried, just The Expanse gave me the HDR theater option, otherwise it was options like day theater, sports, etc.  
Not all video is encoded in HDR.  That's probably why you're not always seeing it as an option.  All these new standards are kind of crazy.  Anyways, here is a primer for you:

https://www.techradar.com/news/television/hdr-welcome-to-the-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all video is encoded in HDR.  That's probably why you're not always seeing it as an option.  All these new standards are kind of crazy.  Anyways, here is a primer for you:

https://www.techradar.com/news/television/hdr-welcome-to-the-next-big-shift-in-home-entertainment-1280990
Oof.  Thanks! 

So basically it's all 4k, but if it does have the option HDR is better than standard 4k?   Pretty sure the TV I got does support both Dolby Vision and HDR10, so I guess I will just have to make sure it's switching automatically between my settings for the differences.  

Oof.  Thanks! 

So basically it's all 4k, but if it does have the option HDR is better than standard 4k?   Pretty sure the TV I got does support both Dolby Vision and HDR10, so I guess I will just have to make sure it's switching automatically between my settings for the differences.  
Correct.  HDR essentially allows the TV to display a deeper color palette.  So it improves the picture quality for source material that supports it.  Unfortunately, there are several competing HDR standards but it sounds like your TV supports the most common ones.

I feel like most of these TVs/receivers will automatically go to the best setting available. If something is coded for HDR or atmos, they should automatically go to that. 

I feel like most of these TVs/receivers will automatically go to the best setting available. If something is coded for HDR or atmos, they should automatically go to that. 
Most do.

But really, about 90% of the population wouldn't notice if it didn't. I'm into this stuff and I can't identify what HDR and all it's variants are. And I don't care. 

Just buy what you can afford and enjoy the program - don't worry if the settings are absolutely perfect for the presentation of the program.

Some stuff looks off even when your TV is set where it's "supposed" to be. I'm watching Westworld (in HD, not 4k) and the tweaked setting doesn't look right. So for most of the time I set the picture to "Vivid" and enjoy the show.

Andy Dufresne said:
Most do.

But really, about 90% of the population wouldn't notice if it didn't. I'm into this stuff and I can't identify what HDR and all it's variants are. And I don't care. 

Just buy what you can afford and enjoy the program - don't worry if the settings are absolutely perfect for the presentation of the program.

Some stuff looks off even when your TV is set where it's "supposed" to be. I'm watching Westworld (in HD, not 4k) and the tweaked setting doesn't look right. So for most of the time I set the picture to "Vivid" and enjoy the show.
:goodposting: If it looks or sounds good to you that is really all that matters. I can easily tell HDR/Non HDR but if you give me two pictures and ask which is HDR and which is Dolby Vision...not a damn clue.

And just to be clear - I am sure I wouldn't notice the difference if I just went in and fired up the TV.  It's not like I am going to be getting upset with my son for switching the gamma from 2.4 to 2.2 or anything.   I just noticed when I was watching The Expanse and looking at the recommended settings I found online it gave me the HDR10 option, but when I was looking at another Prime movie it didn't have that option, just the "day theater:", etc..   

Whatever the settings were that were recommend looked great for The Expanse and when my daughter and I were watching a nature show.   I actually preferred those settings over the "game mode" the TV has too when I was sucking at Apex last night.  

I will say that I am surprised by the speakers on the TV.  Actually sound louder/clearer than the cheap soundbar we currently have.  The Samsung we had must have had worse speakers and ones that pointed to the wall b/c I could never hear much.  

https://www.samsclub.com/p/lg-soundbar-with-ss-speakers/prod24590420?pid=_CSE_Connex_Soundbars_&_Home_Theater&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300002452608

Added this at Sams Club yesterday 

Only complaint is the 2 smaller surround speakers are advertised “wireless”. They actually are wired to a router looking thing (I’m no tech guru, my wife hooks everything up) that is wireless and can be set anywhere in the room. 

This replaces an old Sony surround that served us well for a long time but this new one blows it away. Sounds really good with music cranked also

Very happy with our setup and feel like we got good value on both 

OK so were looking at TVs for the first time in awhile....

Whats the deal with refresh rate? Seems I cant find any TVs with 120Hz. Everything is 60 Hz. 

Does it not matter anymore? 

OK, so here's the latest in the kitchen TV odyssey. We had a 28 inch Vizio in the kitchen. Nothing fancy. Just big enough to fit under the cabinets. We emptied the kitchen to do a reno. The TV was set on the floor flat for about a month. Well, one of the kids or the dog stepped on it and it is toast. So we bought a TV and hooked it up. My wife didn't check the specs before buying it and it is not a smart TV. So we take it back and get a smart TV. Well it sounded like one speaker was out and the other was underwater. So we took that back and got this one. 24 inch LG smart TV. It works great but isn't very loud. Not as terrible as the last one but not great. When set to 100 it is hard to hear sometimes in a house with four kids and a dog. Life is just hectic and noisy here. My wife LOVES the TV though. We redid the kitchen with a lot of white and this one is white. So I need a sound bar. But I don't want to spend $200 on a soundbar for a $120 TV. Anybody got any suggestions on something cheap and small that will give me a boost here (and a cake Christmas present)? The TV has a Digital Optical port. But I'm wondering if there is any way to do one of those little blue tooth speakers my wife loves with her phone or something similar?

LOL.  I guess typing in UHD movies is all it took - thanks guys.  Seems like Prime has a little more selection for me, so I will probably start on those.  The Expanse showed up as being in 4k, so I watched an episode of that last night.  

I will say that it is a weird adjustment.  Not sure what it is 100%, but it's almost like it's so real looking it looks more fake?  
Change your settings I used the RTNGS settings and it made a huge difference 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/gx/settings

Change your settings I used the RTNGS settings and it made a huge difference 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/gx/settings
I did tinker with stuff, and watched another youtube videos suggestions and it looks a lot better most of the time.  Still some weird times the picture looks like crap, but I assume it's either the internet connection, or whatever I am streaming (last night it was The Americans that looked grainy and kind of crappy).    

I did tinker with stuff, and watched another youtube videos suggestions and it looks a lot better most of the time.  Still some weird times the picture looks like crap, but I assume it's either the internet connection, or whatever I am streaming (last night it was The Americans that looked grainy and kind of crappy).    
Yeah, source material is key, 4K stuff looks unreal...

Looks like there are no major name brands that make small sound bars. There are a bunch of brands I've ever heard of and some have really high ratings over thousands of ratings, so that's what I'm going to go with. If anyone else is in need of something like this, here is the one I'm going with.

The Flying Turtle said:
Did you find out if your TV has Bluetooth?  Many new TVs do.
It does not. This is a 24 inch kitchen TV. It's lucky to be 1080. The last one we had was only 720. 

This isn't necessarily a 4k question but a tv question in general.  Do not not make a "not smart" TV anymore?   I am looking for something to put on my deck to watch baseball games in the summer so I am not looking to spend a lot of money.  Wal-Mart had a 40" OMN for black friday at $89 and I missed out on it.  I have a firestick that I will be using so I don't need a smart TV and it doesn't have to be 4k.  I have an overhang is all that will be protecting it and I will be taking it down for the winter.

This isn't necessarily a 4k question but a tv question in general.  Do not not make a "not smart" TV anymore?   I am looking for something to put on my deck to watch baseball games in the summer so I am not looking to spend a lot of money.  Wal-Mart had a 40" OMN for black friday at $89 and I missed out on it.  I have a firestick that I will be using so I don't need a smart TV and it doesn't have to be 4k.  I have an overhang is all that will be protecting it and I will be taking it down for the winter.
Craigslist 

Anyone use LED backlight strips on the back of their TV? Which one? I don't want to have to use some smart hub.

I've put a small lamp behind my set just as an experiment. I can see the appeal since even that seems to reduce the eye strain a bit.

I use it and it does help with the eye strain...also makes colors pop more and just overall looks cool.  I did some pretty good research on it a while back and what's recommended is the white light behind it...the colors are more gimmicky and for just visual effect.

This is what I have.  Specific K value of light for best viewing.

-----

The MediaLight Quad 6500K Bias Lighting System is a professional-grade bias lighting solution that uses the same accurate LEDs as the ones used by professional colourists and editors

https://www.amazon.com/MediaLight-Bias-Lighting-System-Controlled/dp/B06Y2FSYQY
@Andy Dufresne

Anyone use LED backlight strips on the back of their TV? Which one? I don't want to have to use some smart hub.

I've put a small lamp behind my set just as an experiment. I can see the appeal since even that seems to reduce the eye strain a bit.
Most don't require a smart hub, I'd just look for one that fits the TV size and has positive reviews. The last two brands I bought aren't available. It makes a huge difference IMO.

Andy Dufresne said:

I ended up buying thisone on Black Friday for $50. It's not perfect but it works well enough. 

In action on my 65" Sony X90CH.

So no deals on the TCL Six Series MiniLED, Samsung Q8 or Sony 900F (or above) from Black Friday through Christmas. So at this point, gonna wait for a SuperBowl or spring time deal, unless I pull in a couple new accounts before then. Taking the plunge and leaving the day job and immediately doing a kitchen reno (not my best timing) has gobbled up the cushion so I need to build that back up before I feel comfortable dropping a bunch of cash on one of these other than through a sweetheart deal. 

Can anyone recommend a really good 4k tv in the 35-40" range. I want one with a fast response time and a decent refresh rate. All of the TV's of this size all appear to be dirt cheap and i do not want a cheap TV.

This TV is going in my video game room and I like to sit close to the TV.

So no deals on the TCL Six Series MiniLED, Samsung Q8 or Sony 900F (or above) from Black Friday through Christmas. So at this point, gonna wait for a SuperBowl or spring time deal, unless I pull in a couple new accounts before then. Taking the plunge and leaving the day job and immediately doing a kitchen reno (not my best timing) has gobbled up the cushion so I need to build that back up before I feel comfortable dropping a bunch of cash on one of these other than through a sweetheart deal. 
Aaaaaanndd the price just went UP $200 on the Samsung. Dammit! 😡🤬🤦‍♂️

Can anyone recommend a really good 4k tv in the 35-40" range. I want one with a fast response time and a decent refresh rate. All of the TV's of this size all appear to be dirt cheap and i do not want a cheap TV.

This TV is going in my video game room and I like to sit close to the TV.
I recommend you get a bigger TV. Seriously. 

I prefer smaller TV's for video games. I do not get posters telling me my preference is wrong. Everyone has preferences and TV size is not a fact.

I did end up with a larger TV than what I wanted. I got the below 43", hopefully I do not find it to large. It was difficult to find a good smaller TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X800H-43-Inch-Compatibility/dp/B083R24RLN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Sony+XBR43X800H&qid=1610048595&sr=8-3
Why not just get a bigger monitor instead? They make a ton of awesome monitors in the sub 40" range.

I prefer smaller TV's for video games. I do not get posters telling me my preference is wrong. Everyone has preferences and TV size is not a fact.

I did end up with a larger TV than what I wanted. I got the below 43", hopefully I do not find it to large. It was difficult to find a good smaller TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X800H-43-Inch-Compatibility/dp/B083R24RLN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Sony+XBR43X800H&qid=1610048595&sr=8-3
I don't get someone who says for me to try to sit 5 feet from a big screen TV and I tell him that I sit pretty close to that distance from a very large big screen and he has a problem with that. Don't ask me to do something and then point out having a problem with me doing just that. 

I sit 5 feet away. Try to sit 5 feet away from a big screen TV.
Also, I didn't say your preference was wrong. I simply said that I do sit very close to a very large screen. Also, from the way you have talked about sitting close to a big screen it would seem that you think my preference is wrong. It's OK though. I won't get worked up about that. I don't give a #### what others think for the most part. 

And @offdee didn't tell you that your preference for a smaller TV since you sit so close was wrong. He didn't know about the closeness parameter. Nobody did. if it was mentioned before, I must've missed it. That could've happened to Offdee too if it was mentioned. He was probably just trying to help because it is actually easier to find a great 55 inch TV than it is to find a great 40 inch. 

Nobody is here to tell you that you are wrong or your choice is bad. We are here to try to share our own experience and knowledge with the rest in here so we can all make better decisions. Had it not been for this thread, I wouldn't have a 75 inch TCL series six in my basement that made being stuck in my house for months on end a lot more tolerable. Watching all the Marvel movies in order with my boys was so frigging cool. It would've been great on the 55 inch I replaced down there, but it was beyond great with the monster screen. 

But this is the internet so if you say something as benign as "I like oranges," someone will respond with, "Why do you hate apples?" Neither myself nor Offdee said anything about apples. Love yourself some apples all you want. We won't stop you. 

Users who are viewing this thread