What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (2 Viewers)

It'll sound immensely better than any TV speakers, no sub so bass will be low but should be fine. Personally I'd look for one with a sub, but I'm a bit of an audio geek.
Anything on that same page look better?  The Bose or Vizio?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just go to Costco and listen to what they have. At mine all of the soundbars have some sort of demo for them. Pick what sounds best to you.
Actually the Yamaha sounded great, and that was in a loud warehouse with high ceilings.  In my mind the Bose name kept me thinking it was better but it did not sound better.

Actually the Yamaha sounded great, and that was in a loud warehouse with high ceilings.  In my mind the Bose name kept me thinking it was better but it did not sound better.
Bose is definitely the king of marketing fluff. Yamaha has historically done some amazing things with sound shaping and direction for virtual surround that is rather mind blowing. Not sure if that has the ability to add a sub but I'd look into it.

Bose is definitely the king of marketing fluff. Yamaha has historically done some amazing things with sound shaping and direction for virtual surround that is rather mind blowing. Not sure if that has the ability to add a sub but I'd look into it.
Says 2 built in subs.     Yamaha ATS-1080 35" 2.1 Channel Soundbar with Dual Built-In Subwoofers

Says 2 built in subs.     Yamaha ATS-1080 35" 2.1 Channel Soundbar with Dual Built-In Subwoofers
Those 3" built in subs aren't really going to do much and will get overwhelmed easily IMO. It has an output for a sub so I'd probably see how it sounds and you could always add one down the road if you feel like the low end is lacking.

@OtisI agree with this.   Too much wood in there anyways makes it very heavy feeling....removing the wood panels above the mantel and just filling that space with a big ### mounted TV angled down a bit is the best of both worlds.  

I personally wouldn't recess anything though as Jaysus suggests.   There are plenty of TV mounts that hug the wall closely (2" away), but then allow you to pull out and angle the screen, etc when want better viewing angles.  Then just push back flush straight against the wall when not using.  The lightweight of TV's these days making moving TVs on a wall mount a breeze. Don't limit yourself or make it harder by making a recessed area.   

The wood mantel, wood on sides of firebox and the shelving flanking each side along with the wood crown molding is good balance where you can get rid of those panels, drywall it, paint it black (to match the firebox and tv frame) and cover 90% of it with a sweet TV.    Especially this being your main TV viewing area.   While you're at it, wire in and mount speakers in that space above mantel too.   Would look sweet.     Probably about $5K.
A lot of discussion in here about what I should do with the dark wood paneling in our den. Went forward with the paint job. Came out great. They still have to finish installing the new door on the fireplace and birch (white) log set, but here’s a current before and after:

https://imgur.com/a/7CEZkWX

Otis said:
A lot of discussion in here about what I should do with the dark wood paneling in our den. Went forward with the paint job. Came out great. They still have to finish installing the new door on the fireplace and birch (white) log set, but here’s a current before and after:

https://imgur.com/a/7CEZkWX
oh yeah, looks nice!  Good job on going with a more creamy white and not stark white.  Tile and handles look great too.    Now when you want a bigger TV you can still do what I suggested earlier with a mount that pulls out and you can just push it back flush with the white woodwork behind it.   Copying and pasting that below....

-------

Otis, I've probably been thinking about this way more than I should be.   If I was you, and the wife said need to keep the wood panels, what I would do is build out your present niche to be inset only about 3-4 inches (with your plug and HDMI/surround sound cord tunnels in it). 

Then I would buy whatever the biggest size TV you can have over that mantel.  If torn between two sets, then get the one that has the slimmer profile.  Don't worry about the present inset niche square size.

Then I would get one of those pull out and swivel TV mounts (that works with the size of your new TV) and mount it to this new inset.  You can get a nice one for cheap on Amazon (I spent $50 for this kind of mount for my 75").   Then when you push the TV all the way back (when not in use) it will sit flush over the top of the wood paneling and look like it's mounted right to it.

This would be the best of all worlds.  You keep all the wood paneling, but you also get a big TV that will ultimately cover up majority of that wood paneling when pushed up against it.   But when pull the TV out a bit or swivel, you'll still see the wood panels behind it giving it a clean custom look.

So why the hell are 4K BluRay players so friggin expensive. I bought one like 4 years ago and the prices have not dropped since. The one I have is whining something fierce. I figured I would grab another one for $80 after paying $250 for it 4 years ago. Nope. Still $250 and up. What gives?

So why the hell are 4K BluRay players so friggin expensive. I bought one like 4 years ago and the prices have not dropped since. The one I have is whining something fierce. I figured I would grab another one for $80 after paying $250 for it 4 years ago. Nope. Still $250 and up. What gives?
Still not high enough demand would be my guess, and physical discs aren't in high demand either. With all the streaming content at 4k/HDR/DV not much need.

Still not high enough demand would be my guess, and physical discs aren't in high demand either. With all the streaming content at 4k/HDR/DV not much need.
Yeah, part of me wants to skip it, but I have about 20 4K movies and when I tried to watch all 21 Marvel movies with the kids on Disney +, I found that they were missing a few. And when I bought those on Disk to complete the run, I bought 4K. 

The other thing here, the disk players can't be that much different than a 4K or even a a regular DVD player. There is no reason these are that expensive. 

I'm buying a 75 inch soon. Think I've narrowed down to 3. Would love oled but 77inch are way too much $ for me and 65 inch likely not big enough for my room.

So I'm looking at sony x900h $2800. 

Hisense h8g $1800 (we call it a q8g)

Lg un8570 $2000

These are canadian prices, btw.

Wish there were reviews of the lg. It has native 120hz which should make it perfect for me as my biggest requirement is good refresh rate fo my hockey watching pleasure.

Rtings gives nice review of the hisense even though its only native 60hz so I was leaning towards it until the lg price dropped below 2k.

Anyone have the lg? 

I'm almost positive the sony will be wonderful but for about 800 less I think I'll be satisfied with the lg until the oleds drop. And if anyone has anything on the hisense I'd be happy to hear your experience. 

Very tough to find a vizio or TCL 8 series up here. Samsung q70t is a bit more than the x900h so I haven't considered any Samsung too seriously. 

Finally decided to replace my 10 year old 46" Panasonic plasma. Bought the 49" LG 8600 (2019 version).

Tried it for about a week and the blacks on the ISP panel were not very good. Saw that Microcenter had refurbished LG 55" C9's for $999.

Picture is amazing and is noticeably better than my 60" ST60 in the basement.  Just having issues getting the sound from my Yamaha soundbar correct. 

I'm buying a 75 inch soon. Think I've narrowed down to 3. Would love oled but 77inch are way too much $ for me and 65 inch likely not big enough for my room.

Lg un8570 $2000

Wish there were reviews of the lg. It has native 120hz which should make it perfect for me as my biggest requirement is good refresh rate fo my hockey watching pleasure.

Rtings gives nice review of the hisense even though its only native 60hz so I was leaning towards it until the lg price dropped below 2k.

Anyone have the lg? 

I'm almost positive the sony will be wonderful but for about 800 less I think I'll be satisfied with the lg until the oleds drop. And if anyone has anything on the hisense I'd be happy to hear your experience. 

Very tough to find a vizio or TCL 8 series up here. Samsung q70t is a bit more than the x900h so I haven't considered any Samsung too seriously. 
LG's have ISP panels. Great viewing angles but below average black levels. 

I have heard nothing but great things about the H8G.

LG's have ISP panels. Great viewing angles but below average black levels. 

I have heard nothing but great things about the H8G.
Thanks. Yes. I've read great reviews just slightly concerned about the refresh rate and sports - particularly hockey. But since its hard to get many details on the lg I think Ill go with the hisense.  Worst comes to worst I can exchange it. 

falguy said:
Thanks. Yes. I've read great reviews just slightly concerned about the refresh rate and sports - particularly hockey. But since its hard to get many details on the lg I think Ill go with the hisense.  Worst comes to worst I can exchange it. 
I actually saw a youtube review that stated the Hisense had the best motion handling he had seen outside of a plasma. I would have looked at it more if it weren't for my need of above average viewing angles. 

I actually saw a youtube review that stated the Hisense had the best motion handling he had seen outside of a plasma. I would have looked at it more if it weren't for my need of above average viewing angles. 
Wow. i had read on Rtings that it was very good but didnt think it would be that good for a 60Hz TV.  It does sound like great value for the money.  Thanks for the feedback.  :thanks:

So I’m pretty into and up to date on the TV scene but have never heard of Hisense. What their deal? 

So I’m pretty into and up to date on the TV scene but have never heard of Hisense. What their deal? 
BIg in China (shocking, I know!)

Been around for a while. I'd equate them to TCL I guess only they've been around for a while?  Think I read they are the largest selling TV in china.

Hisense manufactures all TVs bearing the Sharp brand name in the U.S. The license for Hisense to use the Sharp brand name has a term of five years from 2015 with an option to extend. 

They're in the bargain grouping of tvs. They make other things like refrigerators (I know because I have one)

BIg in China (shocking, I know!)

Been around for a while. I'd equate them to TCL I guess only they've been around for a while?  Think I read they are the largest selling TV in china.

Hisense manufactures all TVs bearing the Sharp brand name in the U.S. The license for Hisense to use the Sharp brand name has a term of five years from 2015 with an option to extend. 

They're in the bargain grouping of tvs. They make other things like refrigerators (I know because I have one)
What a mess that reply was.

Wow. i had read on Rtings that it was very good but didnt think it would be that good for a 60Hz TV.  It does sound like great value for the money.  Thanks for the feedback.  :thanks:
Sony is the best of the bunch but on a best performance for the dollar it's the Hisense. Stay away from LG unless it's their OLED IMO.

Sony is the best of the bunch but on a best performance for the dollar it's the Hisense. Stay away from LG unless it's their OLED IMO.
I feel like Sony and Samsung are getting the "Bose" benefit of the doubt. They all are getting by on name alone.

A lot of the other companies have caught up. TCL and Hisense are great examples.

For 2020 it looks like Samsung really pooped the bed. Specs have been downgraded to comparative 2019 models. People are catching on. 

I feel like Sony and Samsung are getting the "Bose" benefit of the doubt. They all are getting by on name alone.

A lot of the other companies have caught up. TCL and Hisense are great examples.

For 2020 it looks like Samsung really pooped the bed. Specs have been downgraded to comparative 2019 models. People are catching on. 
That Sony is a better TV and some Samsung models are good (Q70 and up) and some aren't. I don't go based on brands per se but on the actual models and the performance.

I own a TCL because it's the best value for the dollar in the 75" for me, and have recommended it many times. And when the tech changes again in the next 3 or 4 years I don't care to much since I'm not dropping 2-3k+ so I'll upgrade to the next one.

Here is one review. States Sony the better TV, but maybe not for the difference in price. Good luck and enjoy.

TV review
Thanks. I had watched that review. :)

I ended up ordering the Hisense.  It's about $900 cheaper here before tax. (13% in Canada) so a pretty huge difference. $1798 vs $2698. This way I won't feel bad if the oLED drop in price in 5 years and I could maybe get a 75+ OLEd to replace it.  If I even need to. I'll use the money to buy a nice shiny new receiver. 

Looking forward to the hockey playoffs now!

Anyone having any luck running a web browser on their Roku system? Found a YouTube video to install Chrome on a fire stick. But the "mouse" utility that you must also download to use your remote as a mouse just sucks. Can't get it to work. 

So I pulled the trigger on the TCL 6 series 75 inch right before the lock down. That was money well spent. I'm wanting to upgrade the TV in family room to a 65. I checked the TCL in a 65 (can't put a 75 up there), and see the price has gone up since I was considering the back in late Feb. What gives there? And is there a 2020 iteration of the TCL 6 that I should be looking at? 

Lg un8570 $2000

Anyone have the lg? 

I've have a 65 inch x900f. Rocks

I ended up grabbing a 55" LG C9 refurb from Microcenter for $999 for my front room. Doesn't handle some older TV content as well as I would expect. But movies and 4k......Wow.

Definitely an upgrade over the ST60 I have in my basement, but I am in no hurry to replace it. ST60 still holds it's own.   

And where did the TCL 5 series come from? When I was looking at these last year and into early 2020 there were 4 series and 6. I think the 5 doesn't have the quantum dot technology. 

So is there another bargain TV that has an amazing screen I should know about? See, once it gets cold, the wife and I enjoy the hell out of our fireplace up in the fam room. I can't have that craptastic TV up there if I'm spending all that time up there. 

And where did the TCL 5 series come from? When I was looking at these last year and into early 2020 there were 4 series and 6. I think the 5 doesn't have the quantum dot technology. 

So is there another bargain TV that has an amazing screen I should know about? See, once it gets cold, the wife and I enjoy the hell out of our fireplace up in the fam room. I can't have that craptastic TV up there if I'm spending all that time up there. 
The 5 series was a 2019 release IIRC. Honestly, the only series I'd look at is the 6 or 8. And the other brand like TCL is Hisense but I don't think we can get those in the states.

The 5 series was a 2019 release IIRC. Honestly, the only series I'd look at is the 6 or 8. And the other brand like TCL is Hisense but I don't think we can get those in the states.
The 8 series is $1500 for the 65. And if it is appreciably better than the 75 inch 6 in the basement, then I'll start looking side eye at the basement TV and start getting the itch for the 8 down here or even the LG OLED. 

I think I'll just pay the $800 and get the 65 inch 6 series. 

The 8 series is $1500 for the 65. And if it is appreciably better than the 75 inch 6 in the basement, then I'll start looking side eye at the basement TV and start getting the itch for the 8 down here or even the LG OLED. 

I think I'll just pay the $800 and get the 65 inch 6 series. 
Probably a good choice, I wouldn't look at the 8 yet since it's still 1st gen anyway.

Interesting...maybe they are finally making inroads in the US.
Best Buy and Wal Mart carry them too. Evidently Hisense has a couple models that have the same Quantum Dot technology as the Samsung QLED and the TCL. The 65 is the same $799 as the TCL. Is the remote better? That might tip me to the hisense. 

It’s weird that Costco dropped them
Probably a better deal from Hisense?

ETA And they only had TCL sporadically in store, wonder if that played into it? I'll check and see if they have Hisense at my Costco next week.

Probably a better deal from Hisense?

ETA And they only had TCL sporadically in store, wonder if that played into it? I'll check and see if they have Hisense at my Costco next week.
I haven’t paid attention in store but I’ve been trying to decide which 65” to buy and noticed they didn’t have any TCL models online anymore. 

Looking to spend $1,000-1,200 on a new TV but it’s just so damn hard to pick one these days lol. 

For what it's worth. I love the hisense H8G I bought a few weeks ago. Costco in Canada. 75 inch was $1797. My main criteria was a good refresh for sports watching and its been great for the hockey playoffs. 

The h9 is newer but didn't come in a 75 inch model 

Looking to buy a 77 OLED for my new game room, my AV guy will handle the sound system.  He’s recommending Sony or LG.  Any suggestions/experience/deals?  Thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread