What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland weather on Sunday? (1 Viewer)

tim_whatley

Footballguy
Any insight on the forecast from some local folks? What I've seen calls for bitter cold, possible snow, but more importantly, wind. I know that stadium can be tough for QBs and WRs in the wind. Anyone considering benching any of the three stud WRs in this game?

Any insight on the forecast from some local folks? What I've seen calls for bitter cold, possible snow, but more importantly, wind. I know that stadium can be tough for QBs and WRs in the wind. Anyone considering benching any of the three stud WRs in this game?
Didn't even cross my mind on benching Gordon but it does suck that wind will be a factor possibly.

I can't think of a single reason why anyone would sit Gordon right now. You could cut his arms and legs off and I'd still start him. He'd have to be dead for me not to start him and even then I'd consider starting him depending on what my other options were.

I'm listening here.

Keenan Allen or Desean waiting to replace the freak that is Alshon.

This decision could a season break.

What kind of winds are we talking? Anything over 25 & I would be really nervous. Not about starting Gordon, Im going to do that, I have too. But about him getting the 25+ I need from him to advance.

I don't see anything in the forecast so suggest terrible weather. Looks like some snow on Saturday, maybe a little carry over into Sunday. Pffffft.

If the field is wet, but wind is negligible, does that tend to favor the offense or defense?

I can see WR's slipping on timing patterns, but I can also see DB's playing less aggressive to ensure footing and not allowing the WR to get behind them. I can't remember if this has been discussed before in the SP, but it's always been something that I've thought about.

This is what has gotten me concerned:

[SIZE=12pt]high of 28 F on Sunday, with a 50% chance for snow and winds above 15 MPH [/SIZE]

A little more color, I was giving strong consideration to starting both Marshall and Jeffrey in this game, so if the wind shuts things down I would be doubly f'ed.

Sounds like you local guys don't expect it to be too bad?

They love getting the ball to him on those quick slants. There would have to be hurricane-force winds to affect those short passes.

Nothing out of the ordinary weather-wise. Especially considering Cutler has a few years under his belt in Chicago and Denver.

As for that stadium being tough on QBs, I would expect that trend to continue provided that the front office keeps picking craptastic quarterbacks.

I think last week proved that weather concerns usually don't amount to anything. Plus as stated, Gordon is a thread to take short passes all the way. It would have to be a hurricane in that stadium for me to consider benching him.

so you're worried about guys who play for "The Windy City" and you need some sort of special insight from the local fans?

you can look up a weather forecast just as well as we can.

this thread makes zero sense.

I think last week proved that weather concerns usually don't amount to anything. Plus as stated, Gordon is a thread to take short passes all the way. It would have to be a hurricane in that stadium for me to consider benching him.
I think Mathew Stafford and Calvin Johnson would disagree with you quite a bit here.

Gordon has been so unstoppable that I'm regretting not starting him the two weeks he was suspended.
Perfect,

The only week he sat for me was week 3 and Steve Smith was in his place.... oh how the times have changed.

NFLN has a discussion last night: Who is the #1 WR to draft in 2014, Josh Gordon or Calvin Johnson?

I can't beleive hes this good and I really don't want this season to end...it was a dream drafting him for $3 and seeing this type of production. Oh well..

Marshall will be a ppr beast with Cutler against these corners -- including Haden. Wind or no wind.

Marshall will be a ppr beast with Cutler against these corners -- including Haden. Wind or no wind.
As a Browns fan who religiously watches despite some pretty bad football (who also remembers Trestman's influence on Bernie Kosar) I have learned a couple of things (and sorry that this doesn't deal with the weather discussion here):

-Haden is good but can be beat with confusing schemes.

-Buster Skrine has had a good season but I would expect Alshon Jeffrey to have a field day

-Ray Horton is great but Trestman is a wizard.

As a Browns fan who religiously watches despite some pretty bad football (who also remembers Trestman's influence on Bernie Kosar) I have learned a couple of things (and sorry that this doesn't deal with the weather discussion here):

-Haden is good but can be beat with confusing schemes.

-Buster Skrine has had a good season but I would expect Alshon Jeffrey to have a field day

-Ray Horton is great but Trestman is a wizard.

-Josh Gordon will score like a boss

packersfan said:
I can't think of a single reason why anyone would sit Gordon right now. You could cut his arms and legs off and I'd still start him. He'd have to be dead for me not to start him and even then I'd consider starting him depending on what my other options were.
I think you're being a tad extreme here.

packersfan said:
What's so extreme? He thinks zombie Gordon can do just as good as alive Gordon.

packersfan said:
What's so extreme? He thinks zombie Gordon can do just as good as alive Gordon.
I'd start Zombie Gordon over a lot of WRs this week.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
tim_whatley said:
Yeah I wouldn't bench Gordon either, was thinking more about the bears' guys primarily.
why would you bench the bears guys? they are an outside cold weather team as well.

These arent the Lions
I was mostly curious as to what a 15-20 wind would do to the conditions inside the stadium. I've been led to believe that win there is especially impactful, moreso than in other venues. It appears by most accounts that I am wrong, which I am pleased to hear.

tim_whatley said:
Yeah I wouldn't bench Gordon either, was thinking more about the bears' guys primarily.
why would you bench the bears guys? they are an outside cold weather team as well.

These arent the Lions
I was mostly curious as to what a 15-20 wind would do to the conditions inside the stadium. I've been led to believe that win there is especially impactful, moreso than in other venues. It appears by most accounts that I am wrong, which I am pleased to hear.
You've been led to believe correctly, the frigid temperatures won't help either. Will it be enough to impact of their games though? Would you rather find out with them on your bench or in your lineup?

The Bears' passing game has been a lot of intermediate types of routes, especially with McCown since he doesn't have Cutler's big arm. If it does get a little windy it'll be interesting to see if that impacts Cutler and his desire to throw more downfield. I wouldn't think a heavy wind would be an issue if McCown was still the QB since he isn't going to be airing it out a lot anyway.

tim_whatley said:

These arent the Lions
well the stadium is right next to lake erie

Chicago at Cleveland - Weather Alert

Summary: About 26 degrees with a 70 percent chance of snow and wind from 20-30 MPH So. these do not seem like good conditions for Chi/Cle receivers... Is this a stay away type situation?

Chicago at Cleveland - Weather Alert

Summary: About 26 degrees with a 70 percent chance of snow and wind from 20-30 MPHSo. these do not seem like good conditions for Chi/Cle receivers... Is this a stay away type situation?
I can't bench Gordon. No way. CLE run game is non-existent and he can take a 5 yard slant 90 yards to the house. Usually snowy conditions favor the WR/RB anyways because the defender needs to react to whatever the WR is doing... one slip and Gordon is wide open.

Even if Gordon puts up 1/2 of what he's done the last 4 games, that's 18 points in my PPR league.

I will be dancing with who brought me

Oh for the love of the fantasy gods I have all three of Marshall, Jeffery and Gordon. I'm debating sitting one of Marshall/Jeffery just to mitigate risk now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any effect on the kicking game?
That's what I would worry most about. CLE has grass to begin with I believe. Then add in snow and 20-30 mph winds.... not a good day to be a kicker if that forecast is accurate.

As of right now it looks like high 20s with very little chance of snow and wind at about 15 MPH according to weather.com's hourly forecast.

No concerns at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
mid-20s with slowly falling temps...winds 15-20 with some higher gusts...some snow showers.

two strong-armed QBs shouldn't be too affected by that...I'd notch down the QB and WR expectations just a little.

It's a little windier down here in Columbus.

keep the Clev updates coming. I'm an RG3 owner with Campbell in my starting lineup, and EJ Manuel on the bench.

If the winds are really going to be 20-30 mph, Campbell may sit. Ugh.

Yeah the max chance of snow during the game is 5%, temp ~26 degrees with 16 MPH winds. I don't see a problem with that at all, the Bears rolled on offense in much worse conditions on Monday night.

I don't care about the snow or temp. really; just the winds. The a huge difference between 15mph winds and 20-30mph.

From what I gather, it's going to be around 15mph at kickoff but steadily creep up to 20mph as the game goes on.

on espn the reporter on the field said the wind is 20-30mph blowing from goal post to goal post
I think that's significant.

Would mean teams will be throwing with or against the wind. Definitely would change offensive strategy depending on which way you're heading.

It looked manageable. Snow flurries, mostly lake effect. Field looked to be in good condition, no visible snow accumulation. It looked breezy but not brutal. I think you play who you would as normal

Users who are viewing this thread