What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Lewis indicted on drug conspiracy charges... (1 Viewer)

I'm not attempting to do anything. It's a trumped up charge, and he will be acquitted!
The guy's entire history reeks of Drug use and Thug-like behavior. He is absolutely guilty.That still doesn't mean he will go down.

:juice:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still optimistic that this isn't as bad as it initially seems. If the case against him is built solely on the testimony of a single informant, I say he gets off clean.
I agree with this to a point. I'll defer to the lawyer who said that fed prosecutors have a very high conviction rate. I think the odds are better than 50/50 that Jamal goes down eventually. However, I bet he plays this year. Billick doesn't strike me as a "character" guy...

all I'll say in response is that I think saying things are different from actually doing them. I'm not big on arresting people for something they thought about or talked about 4 years ago if they never actually DID anything.
That's where the conspiracy turns - there must be an OVERT ACT in furtherance of the conspiracy. Agreeing to do something is not enough. What is "doing something" in a drug conspiracy, though, is not a high threshhold.

all I'll say in response is that I think saying things are different from actually doing them. I'm not big on arresting people for something they thought about or talked about 4 years ago if they never actually DID anything.
That's where the conspiracy turns - there must be an OVERT ACT in furtherance of the conspiracy. Agreeing to do something is not enough. What is "doing something" in a drug conspiracy, though, is not a high threshhold.
The Atlanta native is accused of trying to help a childhood friend buy cocaine in the summer of 2000 -- just before he signed a six-year, $35.3 million contract with the Ravens. No drugs were ever purchased, according to the indictment.
also, here is a more descriptive account of what the affidavit describes:
In an affidavit, FBI special agent Hoyt Mahaley said that an informant contacted Lewis on his cell phone on June 23, 2000, to discuss selling cocaine to Lewis' friend. The conversation was recorded, according to the agent.

``The cooperating source told Lewis that he/she was willing to sell the narcotics to Lewis' associates for a price that Lewis can tax,'' meaning the price could be marked up for a profit, Mahaley said in the affidavit.

``Lewis responded 'Yeah,''' the agent said.

Hours after the call, Lewis and the friend, Angelo Jackson, met with the informant at an Atlanta restaurant, the affidavit said. There, Lewis and Jackson asked the informant how much cocaine the informant was capable of distributing, the affidavit alleges.

Jackson and the informant met again on July 12, 2000, at a gas station in suburban Atlanta, the affidavit said. During the meeting, they discussed drugs, but no purchase was made.

Lewis wasn't at the gas station. His attorney, however, said Lewis was at the restaurant, but not for the reason alleged in the indictment.

Jackson was also indicted and arrested Wednesday. He faces the same counts and a third for attempt to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine.
this is obviously worse than what was originally reported. Jamal is clearly not a very smart individual.I still think the fact that the deal never actually went down is enough to keep him out of jail, but that's just my opinion.

The Atlanta native is accused of trying to help a childhood friend buy cocaine in the summer of 2000
Aww... he was just trying to help a friend! They should give the guy a frigging medal if you ask me.

Here are the facts...America's war on drugs is bunk.Celebrities are never guilty.Jamal Lewis will be running the ball for the Ravens come September.

Aww... he was just trying to help a friend! They should give the guy a frigging medal if you ask me.
This is a good point. He wanted to help a friend find some good quality blow. Because the effects from a bad toot is nothing to snort at!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Jamal Lewis = Mike TysonHe'll be in jail during his prime :lol: You can take the thug out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the thug.

Here are the facts...America's war on drugs is bunk.Celebrities are never guilty.Jamal Lewis will be running the ball for the Ravens come September.
Those are not facts, those are opinions.And they're highly questionable opinions.This is a FEDERAL case and those guys are hard-core. They are going to come at him with everything they have because he is a high-profile athlete. Lewis is in extremely serious trouble.

lol at everybody thinking this is going to be a slap on the wrist...this is the FEDS we're talking about...they don't #### around.

Those are not facts, those are opinions.And they're highly questionable opinions.This is a FEDERAL case and those guys are hard-core. They are going to come at him with everything they have because he is a high-profile athlete. Lewis is in extremely serious trouble.
What I can't believe is that we can sniff (no pun intened) out a Portis trade 2 days before the possiblility is announced by a newspaper or ESPN but we haven't heard a peep of this in 3.5 years???? WTF???

Those are not facts, those are opinions.

And they're highly questionable opinions.

This is a FEDERAL case and those guys are hard-core. They are going to come at him with everything they have because he is a high-profile athlete. Lewis is in extremely serious trouble.
Blah blah blah. Whatever dude, I don't know what world you've been living in. He's going to get off because he's a high-profile athlete; not in spite of it. The lawyers he gets are going to eat 'em up like catfish.

What I can't believe is that we can sniff (no pun intened) out a Portis trade 2 days before the possiblility is announced by a newspaper or ESPN but we haven't heard a peep of this in 3.5 years???? WTF???
Because the federal authorities are not the kind of guys who are going to gossip to newspapers or other media sources about a case they are preparing. That's usually how rumors get out. Someone talks to a journalist and before you know it, the story is out. But these guys make Darth Vader look soft. They're not going to tell a soul about it.

I don't know what world you've been living in. He's going to get off because he's a high-profile athlete; not in spite of it. The lawyers he gets are going to eat 'em up like catfish.
Do you actually know anything about this case? Because if you did, you would realise it is a FEDERAL case and those guys are SERIOUSLY hard-core. They have a 95% conviction rate and they will have a meticulously prepared case. The best lawyer in the land wouldn't be able to get Lewis off.

jamal lewis is a fine, fine gentleman, a supporting member of his community, a wonderful family man, a man of God, and a modest hero of many. this man happens to be the RB on 3 of my 4 fantasy football teams. :wacko:

This is a FEDERAL case and those guys are hard-core. They are going to come at him with everything they have because he is a high-profile athlete. Lewis is in extremely serious trouble.
Blah blah blah. Whatever dude, I don't know what world you've been living in. He's going to get off because he's a high-profile athlete; not in spite of it. The lawyers he gets are going to eat 'em up like catfish.
:rolleyes:

Do you actually know anything about this case? Because if you did, you would realise it is a FEDERAL case and those guys are SERIOUSLY hard-core. They have a 95% conviction rate and they will have a meticulously prepared case. The best lawyer in the land wouldn't be able to get Lewis off.
No, I don't claim to know anything about this case and I'm pretty certain you don't know anything more than I do; unless you're one of "those guys" who are "hard core". I just know Jamal is going to get off despite you telling me two times that "those guys" are "hard core". Jamal won't have the best lawyer in the land. I'm sure he'll have 3-5 of them.

The FEDERAL GUYS couldn't convict John Gotti how many times? They couldn't make anything stick on the "Teflon Don" at least 4 or 5 times before they got him. The 95% conviction rate is because of all the plea bargins they do.

:rolleyes: this isn't marcia clark vs OJ

No, I don't claim to know anything about this case and I'm pretty certain you don't know anything more than I do; unless you're one of "those guys" who are "hard core". I just know Jamal is going to get off despite you telling me two times that "those guys" are "hard core". Jamal won't have the best lawyer in the land. I'm sure he'll have 3-5 of them.
All I need to know in this case is that it is a federal one. You don't appear to realise the significance of this. That means Lewis isn't up against some hick sheriff or some underfunded police department. It means he is up against the FBI. They have massive resources that dwarf anything that Lewis has at his disposal. They will only have gone after Lewis because they are 100% sure that their case is water-tight and they can get him. Got it?

Absolutely right ... defining an overt act is really easy to do now. Things like just showing up at a location or making a phone call might suffice. Also like someone else said, getting a Grand Jury indictment is easy. Evidence not admissible at trial gets in, confessions against 5th amendment self-incrimination rights get in ... you name it, its in. However, that does not mean that all that stuff gets in at trial -- hell, most of it probably won't be.We still have lots to learn about this -- the Feds won't mess around, but right the best we can do is speculate.

The FEDERAL GUYS couldn't convict John Gotti how many times? They couldn't make anything stick on the "Teflon Don" at least 4 or 5 times before they got him. The 95% conviction rate is because of all the plea bargins they do.
relevant comparison there...

If this is true I hope he doesn't go to jail because it's a waste of my tax paying dollars to send drug trafficer to jail, but I do hope the NFL bans him for life. All those kids out there wearing drug trafficer jerseys. :thumbdown:

All I need to know in this case is that it is a federal one. You don't appear to realise the significance of this. That means Lewis isn't up against some hick sheriff or some underfunded police department. It means he is up against the FBI. They have massive resources that dwarf anything that Lewis has at his disposal. They will only have gone after Lewis because they are 100% sure that their case is water-tight and they can get him. Got it?
Whatever. All I need to know is that the next time I see someone as rich & famous as Jamal go to jail, it will be the first time. Until that happens, I'll keep batting 1.000 and remaining skeptical. Got it?

Good point supergreen, potential witnesses are not afraid of Lewis running them over on the goal line! And to add, those in agreement that a Federal Indictment in no joke, they are right. They do not bring charges unless they have concrete evidence for a conviction. And they will not do that just to get others to turn on someone. If that was the case he would have been watched and arrested for jaywalking, then badgered. This is a federal case and it will stick! Mark my words, the FEDS have more on him than they are revealing. Its not like he's never touched a drug either, not good for the character route. Makes me feel better about trading him for portis now!!!! :thumbup:

Whatever. All I need to know is that the next time I see someone as rich & famous as Jamal go to jail, it will be the first time. Until that happens, I'll keep batting 1.000 and remaining skeptical. Got it?
I hope you're not saying no-one rich and famous has ever gone to jail. I really hope that isn't your argument. Is it?

Mike Tyson was pretty rich and he went to jail. There wasn't any solid proof either that he did it. Explain that then why a rich athlete went to jail.

I think JohnnyU is correct about the conviction rate. Prosecutors don't have a 95% conviction rate on matters that go to trial. It is far lower. Proving a crime beyond a reasonable doubt is not easy, and shouldn't be. What I would like to know from any attorneys hanging around this thread is the timeline go forward. Jamal will turn himself in tomorrow and be processed, post bail? and be released, presumably? I think a prelim hearing is next to happen. How long before this starts? And if it goes to trial? Would a trial even start in 2004? I look at the Michael Pittman matter to suggest it could be a while for this thing to work through the legal mill.Also, what about the NFL's drug program. Is it only about drug use/abuse or would it catch this type of activity. Presumably it would. I assume Lewis would need to be convicted before the league can declare strike 3 and suspend him for a year?If you own Lewis, do not trade him now. You will get low value for a guy that probably will be playing this coming season, I believe.I would also like to know from an attorney what are the elements that need to be proven to convict on a drug conspiracy charge. Is a conversation about doing a drug deal sufficient. Or do you have to demonstrate Lewis had intent to actually carry out the act conspired about? I would expect a lot of people have talked about doing drug deals before but have never done the deal or been serious about doing the deal in the first place. Are all these crimes?Thank you to my learned friends in advance.

Tyson for starters

I think JohnnyU is correct about the conviction rate. Prosecutors don't have a 95% conviction rate on matters that go to trial. It is far lower. Proving a crime beyond a reasonable doubt is not easy, and shouldn't be. What I would like to know from any attorneys hanging around this thread is the timeline go forward. Jamal will turn himself in tomorrow and be processed, post bail? and be released, presumably? I think a prelim hearing is next to happen. How long before this starts? And if it goes to trial? Would a trial even start in 2004? I look at the Michael Pittman matter to suggest it could be a while for this thing to work through the legal mill.Also, what about the NFL's drug program. Is it only about drug use/abuse or would it catch this type of activity. Presumably it would. I assume Lewis would need to be convicted before the league can declare strike 3 and suspend him for a year?If you own Lewis, do not trade him now. You will get low value for a guy that probably will be playing this coming season, I believe.I would also like to know from an attorney what are the elements that need to be proven to convict on a drug conspiracy charge. Is a conversation about doing a drug deal sufficient. Or do you have to demonstrate Lewis had intent to actually carry out the act conspired about? I would expect a lot of people have talked about doing drug deals before but have never done the deal or been serious about doing the deal in the first place. Are all these crimes?Thank you to my learned friends in advance.
Well said :thumbup:

Mike Tyson was pretty rich and he went to jail. There wasn't any solid proof either that he did it. Explain that then why a rich athlete went to jail.
Ok, fine I'll take back the batting 1.000 part now...lets adjust it to 0.975 But the Tyson thing was quite a reach. Besides, how long ago was that Tyson conviction and how many arrests of "rich and famous" have there been in-between then and now? Methinks quite a few; with a pretty low conviction rate. I don't care what the Feds conviction rate is because its a totally different ballgame when they have to face teams of good attorneys rather than the usual court-appointed guy that some schlep dealer off the street is forced to hire.

What I would like to know from any attorneys hanging around this thread is the timeline go forward. Jamal will turn himself in tomorrow and be processed, post bail? and be released, presumably? I think a prelim hearing is next to happen. How long before this starts? And if it goes to trial? Would a trial even start in 2004? I look at the Michael Pittman matter to suggest it could be a while for this thing to work through the legal mill.Also, what about the NFL's drug program. Is it only about drug use/abuse or would it catch this type of activity. Presumably it would. I assume Lewis would need to be convicted before the league can declare strike 3 and suspend him for a year?If you own Lewis, do not trade him now. You will get low value for a guy that probably will be playing this coming season, I believe.I would also like to know from an attorney what are the elements that need to be proven to convict on a drug conspiracy charge. Is a conversation about doing a drug deal sufficient. Or do you have to demonstrate Lewis had intent to actually carry out the act conspired about? I would expect a lot of people have talked about doing drug deals before but have never done the deal or been serious about doing the deal in the first place. Are all these crimes?
All excellent questions, but I would make two points.i) The federal authorities would not have acted unless they viewed the evidence as being so strong as to justify that action.ii) This is not a Pittman-like situation where a smart lawyer can spin out a case. And if Lewis is facing trial on these exceptionally serious charges I would be VERY surprised if he would be allowed to play in the NFL either by the court or indeed by the NFL itself.

Azgroover, I think you are correct about what underlies why it appears a lot of wealthy folks beat convictions -- it is the fact that they can afford the best attorneys and pay them to spend a lot of time dissecting the prosecution's case and challenging every aspect of it.In OJ, his team argued and challenged every aspect of the prosecution's case to the point where they were able to create reasonable doubt. That takes time and money and not everyone can afford to pay attorneys to do that. The guy that gets assigned to the schlep's case is probably a good attorney in most cases, but he has 100 matters to deal with and can't possibly do the same job as Johnny Cochrane/Jackie Chiles...

The JLewis owner in our keeper league won our Super Bowl this year.I passed up on him on draft night two years ago thinking that there's no way he was gonna dodge strike three and the year suspension. I sure could have used him last year. His owner owes me over $200 for Super Bowl 10 by 10s, think I'll drop by to collect this weekend and feel him out trade wise.

What I would like to know from any attorneys hanging around this thread is the timeline go forward. Jamal will turn himself in tomorrow and be processed, post bail? and be released, presumably? I think a prelim hearing is next to happen. How long before this starts? And if it goes to trial? Would a trial even start in 2004? I look at the Michael Pittman matter to suggest it could be a while for this thing to work through the legal mill.Also, what about the NFL's drug program. Is it only about drug use/abuse or would it catch this type of activity. Presumably it would. I assume Lewis would need to be convicted before the league can declare strike 3 and suspend him for a year?If you own Lewis, do not trade him now. You will get low value for a guy that probably will be playing this coming season, I believe.I would also like to know from an attorney what are the elements that need to be proven to convict on a drug conspiracy charge. Is a conversation about doing a drug deal sufficient. Or do you have to demonstrate Lewis had intent to actually carry out the act conspired about? I would expect a lot of people have talked about doing drug deals before but have never done the deal or been serious about doing the deal in the first place. Are all these crimes?
All excellent questions, but I would make two points.i) The federal authorities would not have acted unless they viewed the evidence as being so strong as to justify that action.ii) This is not a Pittman-like situation where a smart lawyer can spin out a case. And if Lewis is facing trial on these exceptionally serious charges I would be VERY surprised if he would be allowed to play in the NFL either by the court or indeed by the NFL itself.
I agree, prosecutors generally don't press charges unless they have a "reasonable likelihood of obtaining a conviction". So that scares me, as a Lewis owner. I would be disappointed if the NFL would suspend Lewis before he stands trial as it flies completely in the face of the principle of remaining innocent until proven guilty.I don't think a court can prevent him from playing until he is convicted and sentenced. The only way I think they could do so is if they ordered that he be held in custody pending trial. I am not sure, but I think this step is generally reserved for extremely rare circumstances where the accused is considered a flight risk or likely to reoffend and is a danger to society. I wouldn't expect Lewis to fall into that category considering the charges relate to events that occurred in 2000 and he apparently has been clean since then (as far as we know).

They wouldn't charge him 4 years later if this couldn't stick. Looks like he'll be livin the Longest Yard soon enough.

A lot will depend on the judge and the court. Given the nature of the charges, I would suspect he is going to get an extremely conservative and no-nonsense judge.

I would also like to know from an attorney what are the elements that need to be proven to convict on a drug conspiracy charge. Is a conversation about doing a drug deal sufficient. Or do you have to demonstrate Lewis had intent to actually carry out the act conspired about? I would expect a lot of people have talked about doing drug deals before but have never done the deal or been serious about doing the deal in the first place.
Just off the top of my head for this question ...Traditionally a consipiracy requires 1) an agreement between two or more persons; 2) with intent to enter into the agreement; and 3) intent to achieve the objective of the agreement. Thinking back to bar review days -- I don't think all states require an overt act .. but most do.So mere talking about dealing may not be enough unless there is intent to meet the conspiracy objectives. Drugs, robbery, burglary, all the same ... its a qustion of intent.

I'm just glad Eric Dickerson still has the single-season rushing record and that it doesn't belong to a drug-guzzling thug like Jamal Lewis. :thumbup:

If you own Lewis, do not trade him now. You will get low value for a guy that probably will be playing this coming season, I believe.
I think, in Keeper leagues (most redrafts haven't drafted yet anyways) that now is EXACTLY the time to deal Lewis.There is no doubt in my mind that Lewis does not play this year and although his value is low now, it will certainly be lower when it is declared 100% that he won't play. At least now about 50% of people think he will somehow play this year :wacko: That's 6 of the owners in your 12-team league you have to work with.... Get to work. :boxing:

relevant comparison there...
Cut JohnnyU some slack, he just took lewis at 1.05 in the Dynasty Draft going on in right now in the mock forum. :football:

yeah, but if they had a tape recording of gotti telling an informant which end zone to bury jimmy hoffa's body in, he would have gone down a lot sooner & easier.

Thinking back to bar review days -- I don't think all states require an overt act .. but most do.
{Pretty much they all do - I can't think of any that don't and I read a TON of criminal cases. The overt act in furtherance is part of the black law definition of conspiracy - can't prosecute on mere intent to do wrong and an agreement to do wrong. Besides, the federal statutes def. requires an overt act. The ACTUS reas goes with the MENS reas.That said, JLew's meeting with a CI at a restaurant to discuss price is enough to constitute an act in furtherance of the drug conspiracy - you don't have to actually buy drugs, and the crime does not need to be completed, but there needs to be an ACT that takes it beyond two people sitting around talking about how to set up a drug ring and kick some money back up to Jamal lewis.The feds have enough info, maybe not all admissible, to "get" Jamal Lewis thrown in jail pending trial - of course he can make bail. That said, I'd be surprised if JLew is the target - JLew's testimony against an old friend who's still in the "biz" is probably what they are after. 3.5 year old drug deals that were not consummated is not what the federal government is all about. If Jamal Lewis completed this crime and it is now rearing its ugly head AND he's the one they are after, someone in the NFL really missed the boat in evaluating Jamal before the draft.

They probably are after someone else who deals more than 5 kilos and are hoping for Lewis to maybe narc someone out and cut him an easy deal, but what will the NFL do? Even if Lewis cuts a deal to narc, will the NFL step in? I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread