What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013/14 Playoff Challenge, presented by Footballguys.com & FFPC (1 Viewer)

Alex - FFPC

Footballguy
We know it is still Championship week, but we just had to get this announced.

Footballguys.com & FFPC present the World Famous Playoff Challenge!

Let's talk prizes first, and then I will list the basic rules. Here are the highlights:

$500,000 guaranteed prize pool.
$150,000 Grand Prize.
Cash prizes down to 450th place.
The entry fee is $200 per team.

2013/2014 Footballguys/FFPC Playoff Challenge Complete Prize Structure

1st - $150,000 Grand Prize
2nd - $35,000
3rd - $15,000
4th - $10,000
5th - $9,000
6th - $8,000
7th - $7,500
8th - $7,500
9th - $7,000
10th - $6,000
11th - $5,000
12th - $5,000
13th - $4,500
14th - $4,500
15th - $4,000
16th - $3,500
17th - $3,500
18th - $3,000
19th - $3,000
20th - $3,000
21st to 30th - $2,500 each
31st to 50th - $1,500 each
51st to 70th - $1,000 each
71st to 100th - $750 each
101st to 150th - $500 each
151st to 250th - $400 each
251st to 350th - $300 each
351st to 450th - $200 each

Here are the official rules for the Footballguys/FFPC Playoff Challenge:

-- Entry fee: $200 per team

-- FFPC scoring rules are in effect. Contest runs from the first week of the NFL playoffs thru the Super Bowl.

-- There is no draft. Simply select your roster as described below

-- Each team will consist of ten (10) NFL players in a FFPC starting roster format: 1-QB, 2-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-Flex, 1-K, 1-D

-- Each team will choose ten (10) players from any of the 12 NFL playoff teams but ONLY ONE PLAYER PER TEAM. To be clear, if you choose Tom Brady as your QB, you may NOT have any more Patriots players on your roster, including Kicker & Defense.

-- RTSports league software will not block you from choosing two players from the same team. It is your responsibility to be make sure your roster has players from different teams and no duplicates. Please double and triple-check your team(s) roster before the NFL playoffs kickoff this Saturday.

-- This will be your roster for the duration of the playoffs. There will not be any changes, substitutions or free agent pickups for any reason once rosters are locked at the start of the NFL playoffs. As NFL teams get knocked out of the playoffs, so will your players so draft your team accordingly.

-- All teams will be placed in an Overall Leaderboard which will accumulate fantasy points for the duration of the contest. All teams begin the contest with a zero score.

-- Each week's score will be added to your team's total and the Superbowl will count as DOUBLE the points. So instead of 1ppr it will be 2ppr, instead of 6 pts per TD, it will be 12 pts per TD, etc, etc. This is done to create a little more excitement the last game of the season and give teams a chance to make up a deficit in the standings. Teams with the highest accumulated point total after the Superbowl will be the winners.

-- In the event of a tie between multiple teams, the prize money will be combined and evenly divided between the tied teams. So as an example, if two teams tie for 2nd place, these two teams will split 2nd and 3rd place money. In this case, with the prize awards being 2nd - $35,000 and 3rd - $15,000, each team will receive $25,000. If there are 3 teams tied, then 3 prize slots will be divided equally among the 3 teams, etc.

-- The NFL playoffs are scheduled to begin Saturday, January 4th, with the first game set to kickoff at 4:30pm Eastern. The deadline for roster and payment submission will be Saturday, prior to the first playoff game but we encourage everyone to register and submit their rosters as soon as possible. You MUST have your roster submitted prior to the official start of the game. There will be no roster changes or edits after rosters are locked.

-- The Playoff Challenge will be hosted by RTSports league management. After registering for the contest, each participant will receive an email with their login information to the contest league page. If you had FFPC teams in 2013, your existing league login will allow you to access your playoff challenge teams. Once logged into the league, owners can submit their roster. Roster changes can be made prior to kickoff of the first playoff game on Saturday January 4th.

-- All rosters will be made public after the start of the first playoff game.

-- Prizes will be paid out according to the announced structure below.

-- Prize winnings from the 2013/14 Playoff Challenge contest will count towards the 2014 calendar year. All prize awards in excess of $600.00 will be reported to the IRS via a 1099 Form for the 2014 calendar year.

-- All are welcome to play and you may enter as many times as you wish.

Register for the World Famous Playoff Challenge Presented by Footballguys.com and The FFPC

Last edited by a moderator:
How many entered last year?

Do you have any estimation how many you expect this year?

What is the approximate total returned to players as a percentage?

- 1750 entries last year. It was approximately a $300,000 overall prize pool with a $75K grand prize.

- We are conservatively projecting 2750+

- That will depend on the final entry count.

Not a big fan of the format. Seems like we leaning more towards gambling in this contest. I'm thinking Manning will be on 50% of the rosters and possibly Lynch also.

A salary cap format would be nice.

Not a big fan of the format. Seems like we leaning more towards gambling in this contest. I'm thinking Manning will be on 50% of the rosters and possibly Lynch also.

A salary cap format would be nice.
I personally started running this contest in this exact format back in 2003 (with the old WCOFF roster, later switched to FFPC) with 40 teams. I think that anyone who's played in this format will tell you that it's one of the more interesting and compelling playoff contests you will find. Sure a salary cap would be an intersting way to do it or adding another wrinkle, but it would take the simplicity out of this format which is the entire beaty of it. You can build a team in 5 minutes or take all day evaluating each and every variable. Like I said, this is year 11 for this contest and it has withstood the test of time and all the suggestions to improve it in one way or another.

And believe me that there will be plenty of variance in the rosters, even if 50% take Peyton. Each and every year people are concerned with having 100's of teams who will all have the same winning rosters and it never holds true. The key to winning (or placing well) has always been picking that one special, unique roster. Last year it was Kaep at QB. The year before it was Eli, I think. Who will it be this year? Odds say it isn't Peyton :)

Was last year's contest posted in this forum as well? Just curious if there's any information on previous years (not expecting to see rosters, necessarily, but just some discussion, etc.).

In the email I received I didn't see 1 point for PAT for kickers. Is this by design or an error?

I've been doing something like this for over 20 years but we have a 12 man roster so you pick one player from each of the 12 playoff teams. It is a fun format.

We use the following roster

2 QB

2 RB

3 WR

2 TE

1 Flex (RB, WR, TE)

1 K

1 D/ST

- 1750 entries last year. It was approximately a $300,000 overall prize pool with a $75K grand prize.

- We are conservatively projecting 2750+

- That will depend on the final entry count.
Could you give percentage given minimum participants say 3000 participants so we can see a rough range?

Pretty easy to figure out since there aren't any discounts: $500,000 prize pool and each entry is $200 so:

3000 entries: 500,000/600,000 = 83%

4000 entries: 500,000/800,000 = 63%

5000 entries: 500,000,1M = 50%

So it depends on #of entries.If its 3,200 or less seems like a decent deal

Last year I finished in the top 50 by taking Crabtree so taking that hidden gem is the key in a contest like this

I think some are underestimating the strategy in this. For example, while Charles is clearly the top fantasy player on the Chiefs, your projection of the outcome of the actual games has to come into play. KC is playing a tough road game in the 1st round. If you think they are going to lose, is it really worth using a premium position (RB) on a player who might only play one game?

Let's say you think that the Seahawks will make it to the Super Bowl and that the Broncos will lose in the AFC Championship game... you might be better off taking the points from 3 games of Russell Wilson (with 2 games of Moreno at RB or D Thomas at WR) as opposed to 2 games of Peyton Manning (with 3 games of Lynch at RB)

Well Charles is at Indy who's terrible vs the run. Then if they win, they're at Denver (assuming Cincy wins their game). Can KC lose at Indy? Sure. But if not, u get Charles for 2 games vs terrible defenses at the minimum. Seems like a no brainer pick.

• Each team will consist of ten (10) NFL players in a FFPC starting roster format: 1-QB, 2-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-Flex, 1-K, 1-D
I'm assuming 2-Flex is only for RB/WR/TE, but the rules don't state this anywhere. RTSports is set up to allow 0-10 players for each position... So I want to be clear what flex is covering.

• Each team will consist of ten (10) NFL players in a FFPC starting roster format: 1-QB, 2-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-Flex, 1-K, 1-D
I'm assuming 2-Flex is only for RB/WR/TE, but the rules don't state this anywhere. RTSports is set up to allow 0-10 players for each position... So I want to be clear what flex is covering.
The Flex is RB/WR/TE only.

Do we have to "submit" our teams or if we can see that our team is set up, we are good to go?

The site does not have a submit button, it only has the "modify roster" button.

Thanks

Thanks... I think this contest is the hardest one I have participated... I am been back and forth way too many times.

Saw one team thats 2 spots ahead of me on the leader board that has Peyton and Russell Wilson as their QBs thats a pretty sound strategy.

Also no points for a 2 pt conversion?
2pt conversions and 1pt for extra points. Sorry for the ommission.
Wait, what? Those are not listed in the official rules on the website.
I assume your have authority to speak on behalf of FFPC and Footballguys regarding this challenge, but I think this really needs to be addressed.

Pasted from the official rules:

FFPC Scoring System:

• 4 points for passing TDs, 6 points for all other TDs
  • 0.05 point for every 1 yard passing
  • 0.1 point for every 1 yard rushing or receiving
  • 1 point per reception for RBs and WRs
  • 1.5 points per reception for TEs
  • 3 points for every FG of 1 - 30 yards plus 0.1 point for every yard thereafter
  • 1 point for D/ST sack, 2 points for all turnovers
  • 6 points for all D/ST touchdowns
  • 5 points for every safety
  • 12 points for every shutout
  • 8 points for allowing between 1 - 6 points
  • 5 points for allowing between 7 - 10 points
Where does it say anything about 2 pt conversions or extra points?

Also no points for a 2 pt conversion?
2pt conversions and 1pt for extra points. Sorry for the ommission.
Wait, what? Those are not listed in the official rules on the website.
I assume your have authority to speak on behalf of FFPC and Footballguys regarding this challenge, but I think this really needs to be addressed.

Pasted from the official rules:

FFPC Scoring System:

• 4 points for passing TDs, 6 points for all other TDs
  • 0.05 point for every 1 yard passing
  • 0.1 point for every 1 yard rushing or receiving
  • 1 point per reception for RBs and WRs
  • 1.5 points per reception for TEs
  • 3 points for every FG of 1 - 30 yards plus 0.1 point for every yard thereafter
  • 1 point for D/ST sack, 2 points for all turnovers
  • 6 points for all D/ST touchdowns
  • 5 points for every safety
  • 12 points for every shutout
  • 8 points for allowing between 1 - 6 points
  • 5 points for allowing between 7 - 10 points
Where does it say anything about 2 pt conversions or extra points?
This was a typo. The contest uses FFPC scoring as is written on the Playoff Challenge Official Rules page:

- FFPC scoring rules are in effect. Contest runs from the first week of the NFL playoffs thru the Super Bowl.

Also, the Playoff Challenge page on the FFPC website has the mention of the PAT and 2-pt conversion:

http://www.myffpc.com/playoff-challenge/rules.html

This will be fixed on the Footballguys.com pages by tomorrow. Thanks for noticing.

Can I ask how exactly does that go unnoticed in a challenge that promises $500,000 in payouts? This isn't a $25 10 team league amongst friends.

I know the general response from members will be that it doesn't matter, but when I assume less than 10% of the entrants get paid, every point does matter.

Whether or not I cash, I clicked the HUGE link on the front of the Footballguys website advertising this challenge and it failed to mention the XP. I mapped the last 5 years of playoffs to the scoring on that link without that and it DEFINITELY affected my strategy because I put very little weight in kickers.

I don't mean as personal disrespect, but that's really amateur not to have the "official rules" clearly and correctly listed on a link to a partner website

Furthermore, someone pointed it out in this thread (which I didn't see until today) over two weeks ago and it still wasn't correctly updated?

Can I ask how exactly does that go unnoticed in a challenge that promises $500,000 in payouts? This isn't a $25 10 team league amongst friends.

I know the general response from members will be that it doesn't matter, but when I assume less than 10% of the entrants get paid, every point does matter.

Whether or not I cash, I clicked the HUGE link on the front of the Footballguys website advertising this challenge and it failed to mention the XP. I mapped the last 5 years of playoffs to the scoring on that link without that and it DEFINITELY affected my strategy because I put very little weight in kickers.

I don't mean as personal disrespect, but that's really amateur not to have the "official rules" clearly and correctly listed on a link to a partner website
Duly noted. We will be more careful with the details in the future.

228th after the 1st weekend.I'll take it.Probably as high as I will get so I better enjoy it while it lasts.

This is why this thing is a lottery. U know some teams had Blount I'm sure. Who picks Blount?!?!?
Blount had 40 carries the last two games of the season with 4 touchdowns, clearly earning the trust of Belichick. To anyone who took Blount, I tip my hat. A very sharp pick that's clearly paid off already, even if he does nothing next week.

Plus, if there was ever a great opportunity for roster variance, taking Blount was the move as most of the Patriot picks would've been Edelman with some Vereen & Gostkowski sprinkled in.

Would u tip your cap to them if he had 12 carries for 32 yds and 0 scores??

It's complete luck this contest lets be honest.

Would u tip your cap to them if he had 12 carries for 32 yds and 0 scores??

It's complete luck this contest lets be honest.
Maybe not a hat tip but certainly a nice try.

I just don't see how using Blount somehow validates that this contest is a "lottery". Blount was a sharp move. If you don't think so, fine. But it was. I've run this contest for 11 years and every year it has been won by odd lineups. Chalk never wins in this contest, even when it was just a couple of hundred entries. Lottery has nothing to do with it.

Had someone used Knile Davis instead of Charles, that would've been a complete and utter stroke of luck.

Not that it really matters in my case but it might for some folks arn't we supposed to get double points for Super Bowl?

Not that it really matters in my case but it might for some folks arn't we supposed to get double points for Super Bowl?
This was applied on the Overall Leaderboard. All scoring is correct as per the official rules. If it wasn't, you would not have been the first one posting, I promise you that. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread