=Smackdown=

Snowmageddon 2016

5,962 posts in this topic

couldn't help but laugh this past Saturday-- I'm outside walking my dog in gym shorts and a t-shirt with no shoes on. Just three days prior it was 5 degrees with ice all over the roads. I'll take Georgia weather any day over those Michigan winters.

As long as a meteorologist doesn't say 100% or 0%, then they're never wrong. "10% chance we get more than 4" of snow." The next day, it dumps 2 feet, and they're still right.

I went in to work during the big snow 2 weeks ago, only to leave at 11, and spend 2 hours driving home...Today, I didn't even bother going in, and the office closed at noon...again, with most of the interstate I take home closed for yet another accident. I wonder why so many places have to wait until it's actively snowing before they post closures when it's clear that something is coming.

I'm so sick of snow.

Well I skipped out today, glad I did. This area is a mess. Has to be nearly 8" already out there and it looks like we have another 2-3 hours of good snowfall. It's funny how they overhype so many storms for ratings and they end up being nothing, but I guess with the SB in town and all the focus on that they had other things going on last night and all of the sudden we all woke up this morning and it was like "holy crap."

I barely got out car down our big hill of a driveway this morning, and when I got back after getting coffee and doing a little work at Starbucks, I went to our much flatter (but still slight hill) other driveway, and it took me a good ten minutes to get the car into the driveway (had to throw it into low gear, back in and out a bunch, was sliding all over). Nice mess out there.

Are we still expecting this 3 feet of superstorm next weekend???

Well I skipped out today, glad I did. This area is a mess. Has to be nearly 8" already out there and it looks like we have another 2-3 hours of good snowfall. It's funny how they overhype so many storms for ratings and they end up being nothing, but I guess with the SB in town and all the focus on that they had other things going on last night and all of the sudden we all woke up this morning and it was like "holy crap."

I barely got out car down our big hill of a driveway this morning, and when I got back after getting coffee and doing a little work at Starbucks, I went to our much flatter (but still slight hill) other driveway, and it took me a good ten minutes to get the car into the driveway (had to throw it into low gear, back in and out a bunch, was sliding all over). Nice mess out there.

No superstorm. This storm altered because the colder air got pushed north which moved the entire system.

I think a large part of the area may get more snow on Wednesday though.

No superstorm. This storm altered because the colder air got pushed north which moved the entire system.

I think a large part of the area may get more snow on Wednesday though.

Still seeing places calling for a big nor'easter Sunday/Monday. Something's coming, they're just not sure how big it will be.

Sounds like you could use a crossover. I hear Sheik likes his.

Yeah my neighbor said were getting 40 inches this weekend. Sounds like hype

We really got a pretty decent amount of snow today. It never looked like it was snowing that hard, but it really accumulated. Had to be at least 8-10 inches. (at least that's what was on top of my car).

As long as a meteorologist doesn't say 100% or 0%, then they're never wrong. "10% chance we get more than 4" of snow." The next day, it dumps 2 feet, and they're still right.

I went in to work during the big snow 2 weeks ago, only to leave at 11, and spend 2 hours driving home...Today, I didn't even bother going in, and the office closed at noon...again, with most of the interstate I take home closed for yet another accident. I wonder why so many places have to wait until it's actively snowing before they post closures when it's clear that something is coming.

I'm so sick of snow.

:goodposting:

I have managed to get stuck in the snow each time this winter for one reason or another. I have HAD it with this winter.

I leave for work around 8:30am every day. Call my work's "Snow Emergency Hotline," which said offices were open as normal, as I look outside into the snow abyss and immediately brace for the hurt of this commute. I had a big quarterly meeting I couldn't miss with the office open, so I had to take on the mess on the roads. 90 minutes later, I arrive at the office for what normally takes 30 minutes to drive. Thank goodness not a lot of other cars were on the road. I walk in, and everyone is leaving in the opposite direction. The Snow Emergency group decided while I was on my way in that it would be a good idea to close the building for the day at 10am. Since already there, I got a day of work in while I waited out the salt and plows. Aforementioned meeting moved to Tuesday while I was in the car.

:wall:

I'm so sick of snow.

:goodposting:

I have managed to get stuck in the snow each time this winter for one reason or another. I have HAD it with this winter.

I leave for work around 8:30am every day. Call my work's "Snow Emergency Hotline," which said offices were open as normal, as I look outside into the snow abyss and immediately brace for the hurt of this commute. I had a big quarterly meeting I couldn't miss with the office open, so I had to take on the mess on the roads. 90 minutes later, I arrive at the office for what normally takes 30 minutes to drive. Thank goodness not a lot of other cars were on the road. I walk in, and everyone is leaving in the opposite direction. The Snow Emergency group decided while I was on my way in that it would be a good idea to close the building for the day at 10am. Since already there, I got a day of work in while I waited out the salt and plows. Aforementioned meeting moved to Tuesday while I was in the car.

:wall:

that's not a very effective snow emergency procedure. they should notify you via text or at least email

im lucky though , my company has a iphone app that alerts me if we have a 2 hour delay or if we have the day off.. pretty sweet to wake up to a govt closed pop-up

1 person likes this

Ice storm tonight

5-8" snow on Sunday

5-8" snow mid-next week

:thumbup:

thought we were spose to get snow on Friday

Well everything that melted in the NYC area turned to ice overnight. It's a mess out there. Where did all our trucks go????

Well everything that melted in the NYC area turned to ice overnight. It's a mess out there. Where did all our trucks go????

I've got mine here at work... :thumbup:

This is what I'm facing:

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO 10 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST OHIO AND NORTH CENTRAL WEST
VIRGINIA.

* HAZARD TYPES...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...ONE TO TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO 1 INCH.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN IN THE LATE THIS AFTERNOON
AND EARLY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE DUE TO
REDUCED VISIBILITIES AND SNOW...SLEET AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS...
ESPECIALLY ON UNTREATED ROADS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 5 TO 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.
And, at the same time:

FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM EST THIS EVENING
THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING...

THE FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST KENTUCKY...SOUTHEAST OHIO...SOUTHWEST
VIRGINIA AND WEST VIRGINIA
* FROM 8 PM EST THIS EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING

* THE GROUND IS SATURATED AT THE SURFACE AND FROZEN FURTHER DOWN.
A STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO QUICKLY MOVE THROUGH TONIGHT INTO
WEDNESDAY MORNING. THIS STORM HAS THE POSSIBILITY OF PRODUCING
RAINFALL AMOUNTS UPWARDS OF AN INCH TO 1.5 INCHES. THE RAIN
STARTS THIS EVENING IN OHIO AND KENTUCKY...THEN ENDS DURING
WEDNESDAY MORNING IN WEST VIRGINIA AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA. THE
RECENT SNOW COVER COULD MELT AND ADD TO THE RUNOFF. THERE IS
STILL SOME ICE ON THE STREAMS...CREEKS AND RIVERS. IF THIS RAIN
IS REALIZED... SMALL STREAMS AND CREEKS COULD FLOOD FIRST
LEADING TO STRONG RISES ON THE RIVERS.

I'm so sick of snow.

To top it all off, our power was out from 5-7:30 yesterday. I had logged off work after working from home, and had literally dipped a paint brush in a can of paint to start painting the room we're converting to a nursery and the power went out. We ended up going to Chili's for dinner, where there was of course a wait (understaffed, and overwhelmed by people w/o power), and after waiting 20 minutes got a text from a neighbor saying it was back on, so we drove home and cooked dinner.

If the power goes out for this impending ice storm, I might just give up and move to Florida....where I will inevitably be killed by the next hurricane.

is everyone in the northeast still going to die Sun/ Monday? I need to know if I have to go to work..

Hats off to those of you that put up with this on a regular basis. Last week's event had our area at freezing or below for about 48 hours. I can not even imagine that day in and day out for weeks.

Hats off to those of you that put up with this on a regular basis. Last week's event had our area at freezing or below for about 48 hours. I can not even imagine that day in and day out for weeks.

We really have gotten soft as a country.

1 person likes this

Ice Snow Storm tonight. On top of 9 inches we got in Bryn Mawr PA yesterday.

yay!

Flash Flood warning this afternoon... now winter storm warnings this evening. All of west tennessee is going to turn into a skating rink :lol:

Just heard on the radio. Snow, freezing rain, and up to a quarter inch of ice starts at 7pm in the Burgh. Time to start drinking.

Otis, how do you clear snow from your drive way?

I call the landscapers. They have a plow and guys with shovels. I drink a latte.

I call the landscapers. They have a plow and guys with shovels. I drink a latte.

And what does your husband do?

What's a plow?

6-10" of snow coming down tonight.. Just another day in the winter around here.

I hate freezing rain. I lost power for 6 days after that wicked derecho. I don't want to be without power in the winter.

Ice on trees and power lines is a terrible combination.

8-10 in the next 16 hours

Buffalo

And what does your husband do?

:lmao:

What's a plow?

It's a thing you put on the front of a pickup to push snow.

83 today in Miami, had to turn on the air conditioner, went outside for a nice walk with a light breeze coming in off the waters.

What's a plow?

Oh man, that would've been so cool if they had a plow last week when my wife had to stay in a hotel for two days on account of the two inches of snow.

What's a plow?
Oh man, that would've been so cool if they had a plow last week when my wife had to stay in a hotel for two days on account of the two inches of snow.

lol

What's a plow?
yeah they even have this stuff called rock salt which melts the ice!

This winter is the worst ever... It never gets above 32 & snows 2x a week.

2 people like this