What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

20 Years Ago Today "Whhhhyyyy!?! Whhhhyyyyy?!?" (1 Viewer)

Nancy Kerrigan Attacked

Attack on Nancy KerriganHarding became notorious in conjunction with the January 6, 1994, attack on her competitor Nancy Kerrigan. The widely publicized attack took place during a practice session on the eve of the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit. Her ex-husband, Jeff Gillooly, and her bodyguard, Shawn Eckhardt,[6] hired Shane Stant to break Kerrigan's right leg so that she would be unable to skate. Stant followed her to Detroit after failing to find her at her training rink in Massachusetts, and struck her on the thigh a few inches above the knee with an ASP baton.[29] Her leg was only bruised, not broken, but the injury forced her to withdraw from the national championship. Harding won that event, and they were both selected for the 1994 Olympic team.[30] Harding finished eighth in Lillehammer, while Kerrigan, by then fully recovered from the injury, won the silver medal behind Oksana Baiul.

The attack on Kerrigan and the news of Harding's alleged involvement led to a media frenzy of saturation news coverage. Kerrigan appeared on the cover of both Time and Newsweek magazines in January 1994. Reporters and TV news crews attended Hardings's practices in Portland and camped out in front of Kerrigan's home. CBS assigned Connie Chung to follow her every move in Lillehammer. Counting 400 members of the press jammed into the practice rink in Norway, Scott Hamilton complained that "the world press was turning the Olympics into just another sensational tabloid event".[31] The tape-delayed broadcast of the short program at the Olympics remains one of the most watched telecasts in American history.[32]

On February 1, 1994, Gillooly accepted a plea bargain in exchange for his testimony against Harding. Gillooly, Stant, Eckhardt, and getaway car driver Derrick Smith all served time in prison for the attack.[33] Eckhardt was sentenced to 18 months in prison for racketeering but was released four months early in September 1995.[6]

Harding avoided further prosecution and a possible jail sentence by pleading guilty on March 16 to conspiring to hinder prosecution of the attackers.[34] She received three years probation, 500 hours of community service and a $160,000 fine. As part of the plea bargain, she was also forced to withdraw from the 1994 World Figure Skating Championships and resign from the USFSA.[35] On June 30, 1994, after conducting its own investigation of the attack, the USFSA stripped her of her 1994 U.S. Championships title and banned her for life from participating in USFSA-run events as either a skater or a coach.[36] The USFSA concluded that she knew about the attack before it happened and displayed "a clear disregard for fairness, good sportsmanship and ethical behavior". Although the USFSA has no control over professional skating events, she was also persona non grata on the pro circuit because few skaters and promoters would work with her. Consequently, she failed to benefit from the pro skating boom that ensued in the aftermath of the scandal.[31]

In her 2008 autobiography, The Tonya Tapes, she said that she wanted to call the FBI to reveal what she knew, but refused when Gillooly allegedly threatened her with death following a gunpoint gang rape by him and two other men she did not know. He subsequently changed his name to Jeff Stone and called the allegations "utterly ridiculous".[7] Eckhardt, who legally changed his name to Brian Sean Griffith following his release from jail, died of natural causes at age 40 on December 12, 2007.[6]
Video

Fairly recent pics

Tonya's current website lolz "Tonya spends much of her time alone. She says it works out best that way."

Have you ever seen her on World's Dumbest... ? I confounds me how someone that blonde could 1) plot something like that and 2) think they could pull it off.

Tonya would like to make enough money boxing then retire to live alone with her Persian cat, Smalls.

"It would be having enough money to go hunting and fishing and go to the big four-wheel-drive mud bogs," she says. "And every once in a while put on a really pretty dress and go to dinner at a place like Applebee's or something."

Tonya would like to make enough money boxing then retire to live alone with her Persian cat, Smalls.

"It would be having enough money to go hunting and fishing and go to the big four-wheel-drive mud bogs," she says. "And every once in a while put on a really pretty dress and go to dinner at a place like Applebee's or something."
:lmao:

Always thought Kerrigan was cute until that Disney parade incident. She could sharpen her skates with those choppers though.

Her first real paragraph is about 7 kinds of awesome. Reminds me of someone else but I can't put my finger on it.

"I always wanted someone to love me for me," Tonya says, "not for who I was. That was so naive. Nowadays, I could care less about anybody but me. I am not about to care for someone else. It sounds cruel and selfish, but I've been there and done that." However, Tonya today says she cares about so many people, especially her fans.

Ten years after skating at the Lillehammer Olympic Games, Tonya Harding laced up her figure skates and incorporated figure skating into her training routine for boxing.Only one of two American woman to land a triple axle in US 20th century competition, Tonya told Harry Smith when she appeared on The Early Show that she is seeking reinstatement in the U.S. Figure

'Murica!

Always thought Kerrigan was cute until that Disney parade incident. She could sharpen her skates with those choppers though.

:goodposting:

That can't be real.

Pretty compelling television at the time. Especially adding in Harding's performance at the Olympics when her skate came undone.

:cry:

Very surreal.

Tonya Harding was robbed of a gold medal. The media crapped on her big time cause of something she didn't have prior knowledge of.

Kerrigan sucked.

what's with figure skaters getting so young nowadays? you used to be able to jerk off to some good figure skater wedgies, but now they're all kids.

The best Tonya Harding story was when she went to jail after attacking her boyfriend with a hubcap.

It don't get more white trash than that

Her fans still love her. And by that I mean "guys still want to bang her."

Standard Message #: 4438
Subject: Mister
Date: Sunday, December 15, 2013 @1:10 PM pacific time

Tonya May you find the Rainbow we all deserve and the guiding star we search for to go through life. love and respect KK
Standard Message #: 4432
Subject: Just wanted to say
Date: Friday, November 29, 2013 @11:15 AM pacific time

Hello Tonya, Older guy Steve here. I am from Vancouver, WA. state. I do not know a lot about you, but I am going to read your Bio. I entered the Armed Forces after high School then lived in the south upon Armed Forces retired. I returned home around 2008.

The it's and bit's at time, in which I would hear this and that reference Tonya Harding, I really felt you did not get a fair shake.

I know you proved yourself on a pair of skates. I know that we do need to drive on day by day, and I am glad to see that you like others have done so.

That is what I do, I take it day by day.

I think the best place to have coffee or tea is the Jubitz travel center, and would love to sit with you sometime and shoot the breeze and do some people watching if you ever are in the Portland Area. Not really sure what state and city you reside in and if you have a boy friend or hubby feel free to bring him to the coffee call also.

I am Steve, 57, a single 5 foot 10 decent citizen. I am not Tom Cruise nor am I a Humpty Dumpty or Mr. Potato Head.

Take care and happy Holidays to you and your loved ones. Steve, Vancouver, WA., US Army Retired steeeeeeevoo@aol.com 1-(256) 509-2455 text or phone number. Peace !!

Nancy Kerrigan Attacked

Attack on Nancy KerriganHarding became notorious in conjunction with the January 6, 1994, attack on her competitor Nancy Kerrigan. The widely publicized attack took place during a practice session on the eve of the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit. Her ex-husband, Jeff Gillooly, and her bodyguard, Shawn Eckhardt,[6] hired Shane Stant to break Kerrigan's right leg so that she would be unable to skate. Stant followed her to Detroit after failing to find her at her training rink in Massachusetts, and struck her on the thigh a few inches above the knee with an ASP baton.[29] Her leg was only bruised, not broken, but the injury forced her to withdraw from the national championship. Harding won that event, and they were both selected for the 1994 Olympic team.[30] Harding finished eighth in Lillehammer, while Kerrigan, by then fully recovered from the injury, won the silver medal behind Oksana Baiul.

The attack on Kerrigan and the news of Harding's alleged involvement led to a media frenzy of saturation news coverage. Kerrigan appeared on the cover of both Time and Newsweek magazines in January 1994. Reporters and TV news crews attended Hardings's practices in Portland and camped out in front of Kerrigan's home. CBS assigned Connie Chung to follow her every move in Lillehammer. Counting 400 members of the press jammed into the practice rink in Norway, Scott Hamilton complained that "the world press was turning the Olympics into just another sensational tabloid event".[31] The tape-delayed broadcast of the short program at the Olympics remains one of the most watched telecasts in American history.[32]

On February 1, 1994, Gillooly accepted a plea bargain in exchange for his testimony against Harding. Gillooly, Stant, Eckhardt, and getaway car driver Derrick Smith all served time in prison for the attack.[33] Eckhardt was sentenced to 18 months in prison for racketeering but was released four months early in September 1995.[6]

Harding avoided further prosecution and a possible jail sentence by pleading guilty on March 16 to conspiring to hinder prosecution of the attackers.[34] She received three years probation, 500 hours of community service and a $160,000 fine. As part of the plea bargain, she was also forced to withdraw from the 1994 World Figure Skating Championships and resign from the USFSA.[35] On June 30, 1994, after conducting its own investigation of the attack, the USFSA stripped her of her 1994 U.S. Championships title and banned her for life from participating in USFSA-run events as either a skater or a coach.[36] The USFSA concluded that she knew about the attack before it happened and displayed "a clear disregard for fairness, good sportsmanship and ethical behavior". Although the USFSA has no control over professional skating events, she was also persona non grata on the pro circuit because few skaters and promoters would work with her. Consequently, she failed to benefit from the pro skating boom that ensued in the aftermath of the scandal.[31]

In her 2008 autobiography, The Tonya Tapes, she said that she wanted to call the FBI to reveal what she knew, but refused when Gillooly allegedly threatened her with death following a gunpoint gang rape by him and two other men she did not know. He subsequently changed his name to Jeff Stone and called the allegations "utterly ridiculous".[7] Eckhardt, who legally changed his name to Brian Sean Griffith following his release from jail, died of natural causes at age 40 on December 12, 2007.[6]
Video

Fairly recent pics

Tonya's current website lolz "Tonya spends much of her time alone. She says it works out best that way."
Is that Amy Schumer?

In her 2008 autobiography, The Tonya Tapes, she said that she wanted to call the FBI to reveal what she knew, but refused when Gillooly allegedly threatened her with death following a gunpoint gang rape by him and two other men she did not know.
>>In the book, she writes that she decided to call the FBI shortly after the incident, when she first learned of Gillooly’s involvement. Gillooly terrified her into silence, she writes:

“"Jeff and two other guys — don't know who they were because I couldn't see who they were — they were in a different car — decided to drive me up to the mountains, put a gun to my head, and take themselves upon me ... They told me, this is what you are going to say. This is what you are going to do, and if you don't, you're not going to be here anymore.”<<

- 2008 NBC Today.

>>participation in a celebrity boxing match with Paula Jones, who had accused President Bill Clinton of sexual assault.<<

- This is really kind of sick and nuts in retrospect. 

i totally agree w/you, SiD (about Harding being gypped) ... Tonya was a freakin' dynamo out there, the most powerful/athletic skater this country ever produced (still to this day) - and, yeah, i loved her trailer trashy image, it gave her the distinct underdog edge, and that really hooked me.  but, man, could that girl skate ... maybe not as technically polished as the other prisses, but she bought a dynamic to the sport that had never been seen before, and really only ever equaled by Surya Bonaly (who took it to circus-like levels).

shame how her story unraveled so ridiculously ... she could've been a great ambassador for skating, and an inspiration to those less 'well off' girls to keep plugging away at their dreams.  though it is interesting that the next Olympic champ after this '94 debacle was Tara Lipinski, who was also one that could be considered to have been from the wrong side of the tracks, and she had a bit of Tonya in her, though not as powerful, she was a very energetic and athletic performer.  

**** Gillooly 

Users who are viewing this thread