What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2015 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
The Bowl games are all completed and the underclassmen have until January 15th to declare for the NFL Draft, so it is never to early to start the discussion looking forward to the 2015 NFL Draft.

Updated player threads:

Jameis Winston: Slim and sexy at the Combine
Dynasty: Oregon QB Marcus Mariota
Dynasty: UCLA QB Brett Hundley

QB Garrett Grayson - Colorado State

*** TJ Yeldon (2015 Draft Eligible) Bandwagon ***
[Dynasty] Todd Gurley
The Ameer Abdullah Bandwagon
All aboard the J Train - Jay Ajayi
Dynasty Duke Johnson Miami
Melvin Gordon to return to school
***Official Melvin "Flash" Gordon*** Thread of Love
David Johnson RB Northern Iowa
Tevin Coleman, RB (Indiana)

Cameron Artis-Payne SEC leading rusher....

Dynasty: RB Matt Jones, Washington

Dynasty - Javorius "Buck" Allen, RB BAL

Dynasty & Redraft: RB David Cobb, Titans

Ameer Abdullah is better than T J Yeldon

2015 Running back class: Special? Or are we trying to force the issue?
Gordon and Gurley: Two of the best? Or two of the best in a long time?

Amari Cooper v Kevin White - Dynasty

Tyler Lockett vs. Phillip Dorsett

Agholor vs Perriman in the late first...who do you like?

Dynasty showdown: Kevin White or DeVante Parker

Dynasty: Breshad Perriman, UCF
Dynasty: Kevin White, West Virginia
Dynasty: Sammie Coates Auburn
Dorial Green-Beckham
Dynasty: Amari Cooper, Alabama
Kenny Bell
Dynasty: DeVante Parker Louisville
Dynasty: Jaelen Strong Arizona State
Dynasty: Chris Conley, University of Georgia
Dynasty: Devin Smith, Ohio State
Dynasty Austin Hill Arizona
Dynasty: Phillip Dorsett, University of Miami

Phillip Dorsett underrated in rookie drafts?

Dynasty: Tre McBride, WR, William & Mary

Dynasty: Nelson Agholor, USC

Dynasty: Ty Montgomery, WR Stanford

[DYNASTY] Vince Mayle, WR, Browns

Dynasty: Devin Funchess, Michigan

Lockett = Hilton = Brown?

Dynasty & Redraft: TE Clive Walford, Raiders
Dynasty & Redraft: TE Maxx Williams, Ravens

Zack Wagenmann - DE

DE Leonard Williams, USC

Last edited by a moderator:
Jameis Winston displays 'it' factor in dramatic BCS triumph

By Bucky Brooks

NFL Media analyst

The mark of a great player isn't how well he performs when things are going well, but the championship traits that he displays when he doesn't have his "A" game. While most focus on physical characteristics when evaluating players, it is the grit, determination and leadership skills that an elite player shows in critical moments that typically translates to success at the next level.

After watching Jameis Winston lead Florida State to the BCS national championship despite enduring one of the worst performances of his brief career, I believe the Heisman Trophy winner is not only the top player in college football, but he is destined to be a championship quarterback at the next level. Here's why:

AthleticismAnytime a prospect plays multiple sports at the Division I level it speaks volumes about his athleticism. Winston is a standout baseball player (right fielder/pitcher) with pro potential at either position. While most would cite his impressive arm talent as a key factor in his athletic evaluation, I believe Winston displays better movement skills than most quarterbacks in college football. He is slippery and elusive on the perimeter; Winston displays enough strength and power to run through arm tackles. Those traits make him difficult to bring down in isolated situations in the pocket.

Although he was sacked four times during the game, Winston's 48 rushing yards featured a number of impromptu scrambles that kept the Seminoles' offense on schedule. I wouldn't put Winston in the same category as Robert Griffin III or Cam Newton as a runner, but he is certainly a credible running threat with the potential to extend plays on the perimeter. Given the need to avoid and elude rushers at the NFL level, Winston's athleticism will make him a desirable player in a system that features traditional drop backs and movement-based plays in the game plan.

Arm talentWinston can make every throw in the book with zip and velocity. He has unlimited range on the deep ball, while also showing the ability to make tightrope tosses to the boundary from the opposite hash. Winston's superior arm strength allows him to use the entire field, forcing defenders to respect the deep ball at all times. From a touch and trajectory standpoint, Winston can shape his throws to fit balls into tight windows. He dropped a pinpoint pass to Kelvin Benjamin down the boundary on the second series of the second half that showcased his deft touch as a vertical thrower. I must point out that Winston was woefully inaccurate in the first half (6 of 15 for 62 yards). He missed throws high and wide, particularly on balls thrown outside the numbers to the right. While some of that could be attributed to big-game jitters, the fact that he sailed a few out of bounds is a bit of a concern for a guy with his level of talent.

Pocket presenceThe toughest part of the quarterback evaluation is assessing a prospect's feel in the pocket. The advent of the bubble screen and various pick-and-stick routes makes it easy for the quarterback to get the ball out of his hands before the pocket collapses. Florida State is one of the few teams on the college landscape that doesn't employ these quick-hit routes, so the BCS championship game provided plenty of opportunities to see Winston perform throws from the pocket against a defense with several NFL-caliber athletes along the frontline. Looking at Winston's footwork and fundamentals against Auburn, it was obvious that he was uncomfortable in the pocket for most of the night. He didn't consistently deliver throws from a balanced throwing platform, leading to inaccurate throws from the pocket.

Additionally, Winston appeared to look at the rush at various stages of the game, with Dee Ford and Co. wreaking havoc off the edges. Although sacks and consistent pressure rattle most quarterbacks, the elite players at the position are able to sense the pass rush, while also keeping their eyes down the field to identify open receivers. Winston struggled with that part of the game against Auburn. He repeatedly lost sight of available receivers between the hashes and outside the numbers with rushers in close proximity, resulting in sacks, pressures and incompletions against blitz pressure.

Winston also struggled fitting throws into small windows, especially over the middle. He refused to decisively unleash anticipatory throws between multiple defenders inside the numbers. By hesitating before releasing the ball on those throws, Winston allowed Auburn's linebackers and safeties to make plays on the ball at the moment of truth.

In the fourth quarter, however, Winston started to let the ball go on time. He whistled a slant past multiple defenders to hit Kelvin Benjamin on a critical pass that resulted in a key first down in the red zone. He followed that up with a timely swing pass to Chad Abram for a touchdown that closed the deficit to a point. Most important, Winston found his groove on the game's final drive, leading his team to a game-winning touchdown by flawlessly executing a two-minute drill. Winston's resiliency and determination allowed him to display exceptional poise with the game on the line despite an erratic performance during the first half.

Football intelligenceWinston had been superb at identifying the defense's intentions in the pre-snap phase during the regular season. He was rarely fooled by exotic disguise in the secondary; he routinely made the proper read in the passing game. This is certainly unusual for a first-time starter, but his rapid development is one of the reasons Winston emerged as the Heisman Trophy winner this season. Against Auburn, Winston appeared confused by the relentless press-man and blitz tactics employed by the Tigers. Winston hesitated before pulling the trigger on timing routes, leading to sacks and furious scrambles from the pocket. Moreover, the confusing tactics disrupted his rhythm as a playmaker. To his credit, Winston appeared to settle in near the end of the third quarter. He connected on a few timing throws and found his secondary receiver when his initial read was covered. This was critical on the drive that pulled the Seminoles to within a point in the fourth quarter. Most important, it was essential to his success on the game-winning drive that helped Florida State secure the crystal ball.

Clutch factorNFL scouts covet quarterbacks with the ability to win games in the fourth quarter. Franchise quarterbacks thrive in those conditions, resulting in impressive wins on their career resumes. Winston had the ball in his hands with the game on the line with a 1:11 on clock in the fourth quarter and two timeouts at his disposal. He quickly fired off a quick hitch to Rashad Greene for a momentum builder and followed it with a dart on a quick slant to take the ball down to the 23-yard line. Winston then calmly collected his thoughts and tossed a screen pass to Devonta Freeman to put the ball inside the 18-yard line. He delivered an accurate toss to Danny Shaw on a short crosser for a first down with a little more than 30 seconds on the clock.

After an incompletion to Greene, he tossed a flare to Freeman to put the ball at the 5-yard line. A delay of game penalty pushed the ball back to 10-yard line, creating a third-and-8 with a little more than 20 ticks on the clock. After a pass interference penalty placed the ball at the 2-yard line, Winston perfectly executed a play fake in the backfield before delivering a dart to Kelvin Benjamin for the game-winning score. The ball was placed high and away from the defender, making it impossible to defend. Overall, Winston drove the Seminoles 80 yards on 6 of 7 passing for 77 yards to cement his standing as one of the ultimate clutch players in college football.

ConclusionWinston will undoubtedly enter next fall as the top quarterback prospect in the 2015 class. He has exhibited franchise quarterback qualities as a first-time starter, including big-game moxie. Watching Winston perform in the BCS championship game, I believe he definitely has room to grow as a player, but there is no doubt in my mind that he has the "it" factor that coaches and scouts look for in franchise quarterbacks. He bounced back from a disappointing first half to rally his team back from an 18-point deficit. Sure, it wasn't always pretty, but it was the kind of gutty performance that will endear Winston to his current and future teammates. With coaches and scouts known to place added emphasis on big-game performance and clutch playmaking, Winston will be hard to supplant as the top quarterback prospect in next year's class.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

Rotoworld:

Florida State redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston completed 20 of 35 attempts for 237 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions in a 34-31 win over Auburn in Monday's BCS National Championship game.

Winston struggled for most of the first three quarters, but was transcendent when it mattered. He went 6-for-7 for 77 yards on the game-winning drive, which took a little more than a minute. Winston joins Cam Newton (2010) and Matt Leinart (2004) as the only quarterbacks since 1950 to go undefeated and win the championship and Heisman trophy in the same season. Winston also won the AP player of the year, Camp player of the year, Davey O'Brien QB of the year and the ACC player of the year awards. "He has all the tools to be a long-term franchise quarterback in the NFL, but NFL franchises will have to wait at least one more season on Winston," opined NFL.com. The 6-foot-4, 228-pound Winston set the FBS freshman record for passing yards this season. He's the frontrunner to be selected No. 1 in the 2015 NFL draft.

Source: NFL.com
CBS Sports' Pete Prisco tweeted Florida State redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston reminds him of Byron Leftwich.

Prisco noted he has seen Leftwich in Winston's game all season, and said the quarterback displayed a "long windup," "bad mechanics" and his eye-level was down. There is no doubting that Winston has a longer windup than most, and it likely comes from his baseball background. Eye level was an anomaly in terms of eye level for Winston, since he usually keeps his vision up to survey the field. Prisco notes he prefers Penn State's Christian Hackenberg over Winston "for the NFL."

Source: Pete Prisco on Twitter

It will be interesting to see what another year of development and on the field exploits will do to his stock. He certainly looks to have all the tools right now. He had an uneven performance last night (you could tell the pressure was getting to him), But add another year of growth and experience and he is at a minimum a top flight pick in dynasty drafts next summer/fall.

Traditionally, most non start 2 QB leagues have RBs go first, could he challenge that position with a very strong 2014 season?

Winston didn't look good at all last night. He will not be a target of mine for dynasty rookie drafts in 2015 unless he shows major improvement. Leftwich comparison sounds about right. He looked slow.

Winston didn't look good at all last night. He will not be a target of mine for dynasty rookie drafts in 2015 unless he shows major improvement. Leftwich comparison sounds about right. He looked slow.
Yep. He's a Leftwich. He's slow. He won't be able to run for 1st downs so he will have to play NFL QB with a slow delivery. Good luck with that.

The QB depth looks promising for the 2015 NFL Draft:

Jameis Winston

Brett Hundley

Marcus Mariota

Kevin Hogan

Sean Mannion

Bryce Petty

Blake Bell

Braxton Miller

Jeff Driskel

Connor Cook

Devin Gardner

* Not intended to be a complete list or ranked in any particular order

Winston should stay in school. Seriously. He needs another year and phyiscally he needs to firm up some more. He is a big boy, but I would like to see him actually lose a little weight (build more muscle actually) and get a little more agility. He has decent straight line speed for a QB....but is not what I would would consider a dymanic scrambling QB.

He has potential to be great. But I think could use at least one more season to marinate and mature. I mean as far as personal acheivements.....it does not get any better than a heisman and Title......but mentally and physically I think he really could use another year. Let him feel some adversity. let him lose a game or two...overcome some obstacles. Because he will fail a lot in the NFL out of the gate going to a rebuilding team. Not everyone goes to a situation like Indy, or Seattle out of the gate. Although would Houston take him over Bridgewater? I wouldn't. And Houston has a lot of great pieces in place for instant success.....the Jaguars do not.

Can he come out as a freshman or is their a rule that he must play through his sophmore year? I forget between this and basketball.

But if he was really smart? He would play baseball. :cool:

Winston should stay in school. Seriously. He needs another year and phyiscally he needs to firm up some more. He is a big boy, but I would like to see him actually lose a little weight (build more muscle actually) and get a little more agility. He has decent straight line speed for a QB....but is not what I would would consider a dymanic scrambling QB.

He has potential to be great. But I think could use at least one more season to marinate and mature. I mean as far as personal acheivements.....it does not get any better than a heisman and Title......but mentally and physically I think he really could use another year. Let him feel some adversity. let him lose a game or two...overcome some obstacles. Because he will fail a lot in the NFL out of the gate going to a rebuilding team. Not everyone goes to a situation like Indy, or Seattle out of the gate. Although would Houston take him over Bridgewater? I wouldn't. And Houston has a lot of great pieces in place for instant success.....the Jaguars do not.

Can he come out as a freshman or is their a rule that he must play through his sophmore year? I forget between this and basketball.

But if he was really smart? He would play baseball. :cool:
Houston cant take him, he's not eligible this year

The QB depth looks promising for the 2015 NFL Draft:

Jameis Winston

Brett Hundley

Marcus Mariota

Kevin Hogan

Sean Mannion

Bryce Petty

Blake Bell

Braxton Miller

Jeff Driskel

Connor Cook

* Not intended to be a complete list or ranked in any particular order
Hope it gets better than that. Top 3 are unimpressive. 2 are just runners and better learn how to find open guys instead of taking off and running, the other is a Leftwich clone. Miller is a zero in the NFL. The rest will need to show a lot next year.

Hope it gets better than that. Top 3 are unimpressive. 2 are just runners and better learn how to find open guys instead of taking off and running, the other is a Leftwich clone.
I strongly disagree.

-Winston is very advanced for an RS Fresh and will be a legit top 5 draft pick.

-Mariota is a better fantasy prospect than NFL prospect, but we should all be keeping a close eye on him. He's a better passer than Kaepernick and could offer similair rushing production. He's clearly more than "just a runner", as he's very accurate, smart, and has an arm.

-I don't like Hundley and question if he'll ever fully develop into a quality pocket passer.

-Like Petty and think he has a shot to be a top 5 NFL pick.

-Jeff Driskell is a bad college QB. When will people get over his HS hype?

-The others are longshots, in my opinion.

Yep. He's a Leftwich. He's slow. He won't be able to run for 1st downs so he will have to play NFL QB with a slow delivery. Good luck with that.
What possible reason would you have to compare him to Leftwich? Winston had more rushing yardage in one year than Leftwich had in his college career. He's about as mobile as Andrew Luck.

What possible reason would you have to compare him to Leftwich? Winston had more rushing yardage in one year than Leftwich had in his college career. He's about as mobile as Andrew Luck.
slow processing info and a wind up. Not too worried about the former given his lack of experience. The latter was an obvious issue week one though. Puzzled why that hasn't been corrected yet. Need to see that go away next year.

It's as though people hadn't watched Winston play until last night, watched his worst game, and decided that's all he is. That, and they were expecting him to be a dual threat QB, which he's not. Becuase he's not - he's now Byron Leftwich. These people could have watched Peyton Manning against Florida (pick a year) and come to the same conclusions about him.

Auburn has a nasty defense and had 30 days to prepare. FSU as a unit wasn't ready for it, Winston included. They then adjusted and found an answer, Winston included. There were some points of concern, sure. But, more importantly, we saw him get punched in the mouth and respond. I put stock in that.

He does have a long windup, but I think it's being exaggerated now becuase he was holding on to the ball longer than he should/normally does. I don't see it preventing him from NFL success. He's very decisive, smart, and accurate. Despite it being challenged last night, in general, he's got great pocket awareness. In addition, most long windups result in poor touch at the first two levels. Not with Winston.

It's as though people hadn't watched Winston play until last night, watched his worst game, and decided that's all he is. That, and they were expecting him to be a dual threat QB, which he's not. Becuase he's not - he's now Byron Leftwich. These people could have watched Peyton Manning against Florida (pick a year) and come to the same conclusions about him.

Auburn has a nasty defense and had 30 days to prepare. FSU as a unit wasn't ready for it, Winston included. They then adjusted and found an answer, Winston included. There were some points of concern, sure. But, more importantly, we saw him get punched in the mouth and respond. I put stock in that.

He does have a long windup, but I think it's being exaggerated now becuase he was holding on to the ball longer than he should/normally does. I don't see it preventing him from NFL success. He's very decisive, smart, and accurate. Despite it being challenged last night, in general, he's got great pocket awareness. In addition, most long windups result in poor touch at the first two levels. Not with Winston.
:goodposting:

Very bummed mariotta didn't declare, he is going to be great.
Me too. I think he's one of only a few QBs worth 1st round rookie draft consideration.
I am very intrigued to see what situation he gets drafted into. I feel he has a chance to be a dynamic play maker in the NFL

In our dynasty league QBs have been creeping up the draft board, partially due to 6 point TDs. As 5000/40 becomes more the norm, dynasty owners need to re-evaluate their priorities. It used to be 3 to 4 out of the top 5 were always RBs, but that has long since changed. The teams making the playoffs each year have Brees, Manning, etc. And the teams trying to unseat them are looking for the next Rodgers.

Really early, but this looks like a strong RB class and very weak WR class. Gurley and Gordon would be my top two overall players if I had to draft today. TJ Yeldon has been pretty good through two seasons and Mike Davis looks like a Ben Tate type to me. I think you'll see Duke Johnson, Keith Marshall, and Byron Marshall go pretty high in some dev drafts, though I'm less certain about those guys. Baylor redshirt freshman Shock Linwood will also be eligible.

The WR class looks very bleak. I'm sure people will surprise us next CFB season, but if these guys were draft-eligible today I don't know that we'd see a single one of them taken in the first round. I like the 2014 WR group more from top to bottom, so in leagues where I have WR needs and high dev picks I'm entertaining the possibility of converting them into rookie picks or trading them for veterans. Not really sold on Cooper or DGB as elite NFL talents. I like Diggs a lot, but he seems like more of a secondary option. Antwan Goodley has potential, but he's kind of a one trick pony with very good straight-line deep threat skills, but more questionable talent as a route runner/space player.

Funchess is a very unique talent at TE. A tremendous deep threat, but very lanky with suspect strength and almost nonexistent blocking skills.

Funchess is a very unique talent at TE. A tremendous deep threat, but very lanky with suspect strength and almost nonexistent blocking skills.
you omitted his greatest current issue, drops. He plays next year like he did this year and he is a late day three project.

you omitted his greatest current issue, drops. He plays next year like he did this year and he is a late day three project.
I know he's had some issues there. Coaches value mismatches though and Funchess has the potential to create them. He's one of the best deep threats I've seen at TE because of his height and speed. The thing is, he's almost not even really a TE. Basically can't block at all and they line him out wide very often. That's going to sound like Jordan Reed to a lot of people, but they are totally different styles. Funchess is a straight-line deep threat with height and range whereas Reed is a shifty open field guy. Tough to peg a guy like this because his game is so unconventional. If you want to grasp at a comparison, maybe he's a little like Ladarius Green and Jermichael Finley. He's even skinner than those guys though with a listed height/weight of 6'5" 228. That is a WR body.

Pretty excited for this class with Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, and even DGB
RB is stacked. Add Davis, Marshall, Drake, Linwood, off the top of my head.

ETA:

If Keith Marshall can come back at 100%, he's a big time sleeper in the class, with a chance to be a first round NFL draft pick. The combine is going to treat him well. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the 2nd back taken, actually, after Gurley, ahead of Yeldon.

I'd like to be higher on Drake, but his legs are so damn skinny.

Davis is a stud with Ray Rice/Doug Martin potential.

Linwood flashed some very promising potential and will put up video game numbers next season.

If Keith Marshall can come back at 100%, he's a big time sleeper in the class, with a chance to be a first round NFL draft pick. The combine is going to treat him well. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the 2nd back taken, actually, after Gurley, ahead of Yeldon.
I like Marshall, but coming off an ACL and playing 2nd fiddle to Gurley next year I think you're going to have to wait on him until 2016. NFL teams are probably going to want to see him be the #1 guy for a year (after Gurley leaves) before he goes pro.

I know he's had some issues there. Coaches value mismatches though and Funchess has the potential to create them. He's one of the best deep threats I've seen at TE because of his height and speed. The thing is, he's almost not even really a TE. Basically can't block at all and they line him out wide very often. That's going to sound like Jordan Reed to a lot of people, but they are totally different styles. Funchess is a straight-line deep threat with height and range whereas Reed is a shifty open field guy. Tough to peg a guy like this because his game is so unconventional. If you want to grasp at a comparison, maybe he's a little like Ladarius Green and Jermichael Finley. He's even skinner than those guys though with a listed height/weight of 6'5" 228. That is a WR body.
like Stephen Hill, none of this matters if he can't catch.

I like Marshall, but coming off an ACL and playing 2nd fiddle to Gurley next year I think you're going to have to wait on him until 2016. NFL teams are probably going to want to see him be the #1 guy for a year (after Gurley leaves) before he goes pro.
You could very well be right. It might end up being in his best interest to go back for a year. Perhaps that's his best chance to go in the first.

I do think the talent and upside is there, however.

Georgia is always stacked at RB. They had Crowell before Gurley/Marshall and already in the upcoming HS class they've gotten commitments from a 5 star RB (Sony Michel) and another 4-5 star RB who's pretty highly-regarded. Knowing that Marshall has truly elite speed makes me more intrigued by his prospects than I was before, but the competition for carries is going to be fierce.

Funchess ranked 4th in the nation in receiving yards for a TE. At the same stage of his development, Stephen Hill had a career best of 291 yards in a season. I think Funchess much more of a natural receiver. Hill was just a tall guy with straight-line speed and nothing else.

I'm not touting Funchess as a great prospect or a lock for NFL success, but if you're making a list of 2015 prospects then his name has to be accounted for.

EBF said:
MAC_32 said:
EBF said:
MAC_32 said:
EBF said:
Funchess ranked 4th in the nation in receiving yards for a TE. At the same stage of his development, Stephen Hill had a career best of 291 yards in a season. I think Funchess much more of a natural receiver. Hill was just a tall guy with straight-line speed and nothing else.

I'm not touting Funchess as a great prospect or a lock for NFL success, but if you're making a list of 2015 prospects then his name has to be accounted for.
in the unfulfilled potential category, yes. I liked him a lot more four months ago than I do now. He went backwards this year.

Talk to me about Jonathan Grey. I've seen him put right after Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon. Others don't even list him. What's his scouting report

WR Leonte Carroo - unfortunately he plays at Rutgers.

Concept Coop said:
DaveL said:
Pretty excited for this class with Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon, and even DGB
RB is stacked. Add Davis, Marshall, Drake, Linwood, off the top of my head.

Davis is a stud
:yes: Davis is right there at the top with Gurley/Gordon/whoever else imo. He may not have the upside as some of the others, but the guy's about as safe as a bet to be a 3 down back in the NFL as there's been in a while imo.

Love the information in this thread. Frankly I haven't done my homework with this year draft. It's always nice to look ahead. For now I didn't see any super star in next year's draft. By super star, I meant prospects like Andrew Luck, Calvin Johson, and no, not T Richerson.

Love the information in this thread. Frankly I haven't done my homework with this year draft. It's always nice to look ahead. For now I didn't see any super star in next year's draft. By super star, I meant prospects like Andrew Luck, Calvin Johson, and no, not T Richerson.
Who knows what has happened in the NFL, but make no mistake, Richardson was a stud prospect.

Talk to me about Jonathan Grey. I've seen him put right after Gurley, Gordon, Yeldon. Others don't even list him. What's his scouting report
Hard to find a lot of information, but Rivals.com has him as a 5 star recruit and as a player comparison he reminded them of RB LeSean McCoy

RB Johnathan Gray

Hard to find a lot of information, but Rivals.com has him as a 5 star recruit and as a player comparison he reminded them of RB LeSean McCoy

RB Johnathan Gray
Watched a few high school games and many games at UT. Put up record HS numbers for a powerhouse team. Never really saw the appeal though. Lots of big runs in HS doesn't always mean anything. Good player, but never gives you the wow factor. Not in the ballpark with McCoy on elusiveness/agility. Doesn't seem big enough to be a workhorse either. Nice player, but nothing special IMO.

which in turn helps make sense why Malcolm Brown's touches went up 214/904/9

talk about a name that has been off the radar for a while after having a decent Freshman year

Rotoworld:

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio believes Florida State redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston should sit out the 2014 football season.

Florio notes Winston will not do it, but points out 20-year-olds do not think about specific injuries that could shorten their future playing careers. "The long term smart business decision for Jameis Winston, if he truly will be a top pick in 2015, don't play." We believe Winston is an excellent prospect, but he only has 14 games under his belt, and the national championship game showed he still has things to work on. Florio believes Winston should hire a coach if he does sit out a season, but it is impossible to simulate game action.

Source: NBC Sports

Florio has always been a huge moron. Really only informative during the CBA crisis.

What an idiotic suggestion. The kid needs experience, and he needs to continue improving. Most importantly, he'd actually create a new character concern sitting out while trying to lessen his injury concerns. NFL teams want to see him want to compete, not protect his draft stock.

Just a stupid suggestion.

Rotoworld:

LSU beat writer Ross Dellenger cites a source who says redshirt sophomore RB Jeremy Hill is now leaning towards staying in school rather than declaring for the draft.

"Hill has not officially decided to return, but all signs point to the 6-foot-2, 235-pounder remaining in school, said the source, who was familiar with the decision but not authorized to speak on Hill’s behalf," Dellenger writes. We are a bit surprised by the news, since previous reports stated Hill was almost certainly jumping to the NFL. He only has two seasons of on-field action with the Tigers and would return as their top offensive weapon.

Source: The Advocate

Amari Cooper didn't meet own expectations in 2013, says frustrating injuries fully healed

By Michael Casagrande

NEW ORLEANS — Coming off that freshman season, Amari Cooper had the buzz.

Breaking Julio Jones' rookie records will do that.

With that came expectations for even more in Year 2. So the question was simple. Did he meet them?

"No," Cooper responded in a rare meeting with reporters Sunday in New Orleans. "No, not this season I have. Hopefully I'll get to reach the high expectations next year."

A series of minor injuries knocked Cooper off his trajectory from the very beginning. It began with a heel issue, then a toe and a knee.

Still, despite a slow start and missing all of the Colorado State game, Cooper leads the team with 615 receiving yards. His 36 receptions tied Kevin Norwood for the team high, but they didn't rival the 59 catches for 1,000 yards from last fall.

"I was kind of frustrated, but not the numbers," Cooper said. "Injuries were frustrating to me. I didn't want to be injured. I had high expectations coming into the season, so that's what really frustrated me."

He didn't break through for a 100-yard game until the Iron Bowl loss. But that also included the school-record 99-yard touchdown pass from AJ McCarron.

Until the final minute, it appeared to be the game-winning play.

"It was a double move that I had, a comeback and go," Cooper said. "I just knew if I ran the route at the right depth and the right speed, the DB would break on the route and I would be open."

Offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier likes the progress and maturity he's seeing from Cooper. They implemented the game plan in small bits at first last season. Now he's mastering it, and now that he's healthy, Cooper is back on track.

"He's really worked at mastering his craft, worked at releases and getting off the line of scrimmage versus press and making sure he's at the exact right depth and all those things that come with being a great, great receiver," Nussmeier said. "He's really continued to develop that way."

Winston can rip up his knee for all I care. He's still going #1.
Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Charles Davis wrote that "it would be hard to not" rank Florida State redshirt sophomore QB Jameis Winston as the No. 1 prospect in the 2014 NFL draft if he were eligible.
"He has the requisite arm strength," Davis wrote. "His decision making appears to be pretty good for a redshirt freshman. His leadership is incredible. That team follows him like he's the pied piper." Davis was impressed by Winston's ability to battle back from adversity in Monday's BCS National Championship game. Winston struggled for most of the first three quarters, but dominated for the latter stage of the fourth and went 6-for-7 for 77 yards on the game-winning drive. "To me, a guy truly becomes a quarterback when he responds in that situation -- it's the fourth quarter, the game is on the line and things haven't been going his way. Can he be crafty and get the job done? Winston did," Davis wrote.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher kicked redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston out of the last practice before the Championship game because he didn't like the way Winston was running the two-minute drill.
"He learned from it, he grew from it, and I grew from it," Fisher said. "I grow from those situations how I handle it every time with those guys, too. Wish you didn't have to do it, but I think it just made our relationship that much stronger and we understand each other that much more." Winston, of course, had no problem with the two-minute drill in the actual game against Auburn, going 6-for-7 for 77 yards on the game-winning drive, which lasted all of 1:19. "That drive, like I say, it really wasn't about me," Winston said. "He kicked me out of practice, and we won that game in two minutes."

Source: Fox Sports

Users who are viewing this thread