What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2015 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

USC WR Nelson Agholor 'the consummate pro,' coach says

By Dan Greenspan

College Football 24/7 writer

LOS ANGELES -- The presence of wide receiver Nelson Agholor won't make USC fans forgive Lane Kiffin, but continued growth from the junior-to-be could speed up the process of forgetting the former head coach.

For all his many faults during his time leading the Trojans, Kiffin knew how to identify wide receivers. Robert Woods was a second-round pick in the 2013 draft, Marqise Lee seems certain to be a first-round selection this year, and Agholor could be in that same strata next year, all three recruited to campus by Kiffin.

Assistant coach Tee Martin recently told College Football 24/7 that Agholor is well on his way to matching Woods and Lee, two of the most accomplished wide receivers in school history.

"Nelson is the consummate pro when you are talking about preparation, studying the game, the leader in the room," said Martin, one of the two holdovers on the staff under new Trojans head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Agholor (6-foot-0, 185 pounds) had only 14 receptions during his entire high school career at Tampa (Fla.) Berkeley Prep, spending most of his time playing running back or defensive back. But it has been a seemingly seamless transition to working out wide for Agholor, leading the team with 918 receiving yards and six touchdowns while averaging 16.4 yards per catch.

Martin credits Agholor's development to his intense focus, which shined through early on amongst a position group featuring future professionals.

"Even as a true freshman with Robert Woods being there and Marqise Lee having the kind of season (he had), you could see where he was going to be special as a leader," Martin said. "The moment never gets too big for Nelson. He welcomes it. He wants to be the guy."

In his style of play, Agholor represents a happy medium between Woods the technician and Lee the game-breaking athlete. Agholor has the physical attributes to create explosive gains from anywhere on the field, but is especially effective on intermediate routes that showcase his precise route running.

Without the uncertainty at quarterback or midseason change in playcalling that hindered USC in 2013, Agholor seems poised for even greater production this upcoming season.

Consider it Kiffin's going-away present, one that USC would gladly accept, even without mentioning you-know-who.

Follow Dan Greenspan on Twitter @DanGreenspan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Jaguars beat writer Michael DiRocco notes the team is "more excited" for next year's class of QBs rather than 2014's crop.

DiRocco believes the Jaguars should not take a passer in the first two rounds of this May's draft for two reasons. One, according to DiRocco, is that "defense is more important to winning championships than most people realize." Secondly, "young, inexperienced quarterbacks, provided they have the pieces in place around them, can make it to and win Super Bowls." We hate looking forward to next year's draft class, especially for a team that could put together two poor seasons in a row under a new regime if they do not upgrade the position. But many people always believe the next year's group of quarterbacks is better than the current one.

Source: Michael DiRocco on twitter

Rotoworld:

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher told reporters Wednesday that he doesn't expect 2013 Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston to enter the 2015 NFL draft.
"I expect Jameis to be here two more years," Fisher stated. It's probably just optimism on the part of Fisher, who would obviously prefer his dynamic quarterback to play (at least) three college seasons before going pro. Winston redshirted in 2012, and will indeed be eligible for the 2015 draft. As a redshirt freshman in 2013, Winston compiled a 40:10 TD-to-INT ratio and led the Noles to a national title. He's the heavy favorite to be selected No. 1 overall in 2015, and likely would've been the No. 1 pick this year were he eligible.

Source: FSU Football on Twitter

Jameis has made similar comments lately, too. Some attribute it to baseball. Really no football related reason for him to stay. I'd love love love to see it but won't believe he stays until it happens. Also, the '15 o-line will replace five senior starters.

Rotoworld:

Marcus Mariota - QB - Player
According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Browns GM Ray Farmer was the highest on Oregon's Marcus Mariota among draft-eligible quarterbacks during the college season.
Perhaps the fired duo of Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi has begun leaking information to the media in retaliation, or Rapoport has an incredibly talkative source close to Farmer. Mariota wound up staying in school, and ever since seemingly countless reports have linked Cleveland to Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel. Rapoport is "not sure Manziel is (Farmer's) guy." Farmer's interest in Mariota is a nugget to file away before next year's draft.

Related: Browns

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

An increased opportunity for TE Devin Funchess to showcase his skills as per Rotoworld:

Michigan sophomore-to-be TE Jake Butt suffered a torn ACL during winter conditioning.

He will obviously miss spring activities. This is a major blow to the team's offense, as Butt's role was likely to grow this season. He and Devin Funchess offer one of the best combinations at tight end in the country, so Funchess could see more targets early in the season.

Source: Tom Dienhart on Twitter

John Garrett, Jason's older brother, is Beavers' new coordinator

By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

Oregon State's Sean Mannion threw for 4,662 yards and 37 TDs in 2013 -- figures that ranked second and tied for third, respectively, in the nation -- and new coordinator John Garrett will be tasked with getting even better play from Mannion as a senior in 2014.

Garrett, who turns 49 on March 2, was hired to replace Danny Langsdorf, who left to become the New York Giants' quarterback coach. Garrett is the older brother of Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett.

John Garrett spent the 2013 season as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' wide receiver coach. This is his first stint as a coordinator, and he also will be the Beavers' quarterback coach, a role he hasn't held since 1999-2000, when he was with the Arizona Cardinals.

"His broad knowledge of the game will add to what we are doing at Oregon State," Beavers coach Mike Riley said in a statement. "We have a senior quarterback; we aren't changing everything out under Sean, but my goal is for our offense to continue to grow and evolve, and John will certainly provide that opportunity to do so."

Mannion, who already has graduated, flirted with the idea of turning pro but decided to stay in school; he reportedly was given a third-round grade by the NFL Draft Advisory Board. He should enter the 2014 season as one of the top six or seven quarterbacks nationally but a distinct third in the Pac-12, behind Oregon's Marcus Mariota and UCLA's Brett Hundley. Mannion has prototypical size for a dropback passer (6-foot-5, 220 pounds), but he has issues with his decision-making, especially when he is under pressure.

He threw 29 TD passes and three interceptions in the first seven games in 2013, but the competition level increased down the stretch and Mannion struggled mightily, throwing seven TD passes and 11 picks in the final five regular-season games -- all losses to teams ranked at kickoff.

When he has time, Mannion -- while lacking a truly big arm -- is accurate and has good touch. But interceptions have been an issue throughout Mannion's career: He has thrown 46 of them through three seasons, the most of any quarterback returning next season.

Garrett played wide receiver for Riley in 1991 with the San Antonio Riders of the World League, catching 23 passes. He also was on the practice squad and active roster for the Cincinnati Bengals in 1989 and on the practice squad for the Buffalo Bills in 1991. Garrett also went to training camp with the Cowboys in 1988 and with the Bengals in 1990.

This will be his first college job since he worked as Virginia's wide receiver coach from 2004-07.

Oregon State begins spring practice March 31. While Mannion and a solid stable of tailbacks return, Oregon State needs to find a new go-to receiver with the departure of Brandin Cooks and must replace three starting offensive linemen. Only one returning wide receiver caught more than seven passes in 2013, but the Beavers do return their top three tight ends, who combined to catch 84 passes for 11 TDs.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Scouts: Melvin Gordon would have been No. 1 RB in NFL draft

By Dan Parr

Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon might have passed up a chance to be the first back selected in the 2014 NFL Draft.

An NFL personnel director told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Gordon would have been the best back in this year's draft if he had decided to declare early entry and forgo his remaining two seasons of eligibility.

"He's so fluid and easy and graceful. He's (expletive) really good. He's a first-rounder," the scout said, per the report.

The story cites several other scouts and personnel executives who shared the same opinion of Gordon -- all agreed he would have been ranked No. 1 at running back on their draft boards.

In fact, one scouting director said Gordon was head and shoulders above an unimpressive group of backs in this year's class, according to the Journal Sentinel.

Gordon ran for 1,609 yards and averaged 7.8 yards per carry in 2013, but his production dipped in the second half of the season. As he mulled over his options for 2014, he sought the advice of former Badgers running back and Broncos 2013 second-round pick Montee Ball, who told Gordon he should stay in school.

With a good redshirt junior season -- and an injury-free season -- it's quite possible that Gordon's stock will be just as strong, maybe even stronger, next season, if he decides to declare for the draft. But part of the reason so many underclass running backs (20 this year) opt to enter the draft early is because of the demands of the position, which result in shorter careers due to the wear and tear that comes with toting the rock.

We'll see how things play out, but it's quite possible that Gordon will end up wondering if Ball's advice wasn't so good.

It's always difficult to view a class like this so far in advance. Guys will emerge over the course of next year and make it better. I actually like this class a great deal.

My initial thoughts are that I like the QBs and RBs of 2015 over 2014. Not sure about WR but I think 2014 is better than 2015. And jurb is right. More talent will emerge.

It's always difficult to view a class like this so far in advance. Guys will emerge over the course of next year and make it better. I actually like this class a great deal.
As do I but I don't think Gordon will be the #1 next year but in top 3 if he stays healthy and continues to produce at a high level.

Tex

Devin Funchess will be a 1st rounder next year, whether at TE or WR. He's what we think Kelvin Benjamin is. He's going to be pretty young, too, doesn't turn 20 until May.

It was a terrible decision by Melvin Gordon not to come out this year. Made absolutely no sense. Have fun Melvin......don't get hurt.

Devin Funchess will be a 1st rounder next year, whether at TE or WR. He's what we think Kelvin Benjamin is. He's going to be pretty young, too, doesn't turn 20 until May.
I'm guessing you prefer Funchess pretty strongly to Howard?

I'm strongly considering going Funchess over Strong in a devy draft just for his ceiling...I just have no idea how to value him against the other WR's since up till this point everyone has looked at his athleticism and speed in relation to other TE's, not in relation to the field at WR. Does he really have WR speed at his size, or was it just great for a TE?

I'm strongly considering going Funchess over Strong in a devy draft just for his ceiling...I just have no idea how to value him against the other WR's since up till this point everyone has looked at his athleticism and speed in relation to other TE's, not in relation to the field at WR. Does he really have WR speed at his size, or was it just great for a TE?
Right now, I project him to run a 4.55. That's better than what Allen Robinson ran and close to where Mike Evans ran.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Xue said:
Only if you value a more immediate contribution. Howard will be a true TE in the NFL because he's already an elite blocker.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Xue said:
Only if you value a more immediate contribution. Howard will be a true TE in the NFL because he's already an elite blocker.
Of course, if Funchess sticks at WR and is drafted as one, which seems more likely than not at this point, then it's not even worth comparing them and Funchess will have more value in most leagues just by virtue of playing a more valuable position.

Very interesting. The guy can't block a lick, but I would've liked him to stay as a nominal TE for FF purposes.

As a pure WR, I don't know where he ranks for me. Haven't thought about him in that way up until now.

Very interesting. The guy can't block a lick, but I would've liked him to stay as a nominal TE for FF purposes.

As a pure WR, I don't know where he ranks for me. Haven't thought about him in that way up until now.
I don't know. Even in a TE premium league he'd have to be top-5 at TE to have considerable value, otherwise he'd just fall into that mid-late TE1 hodgepodge. If he runs a legit 4.5-4.6 at his size and gets the concentration drops under control, it might be more likely that he successfully becomes at least a high-end WR2, which is pretty valuable, than the necessary high-end TE1 he'd have to be to achieve similar value at a less coveted position.Since it's just plain unlikely that he turns out to be the next Graham or even Cameron at TE, I almost feel safer betting that he can be perceived kinda like Mike Evans is right now at WR, and I'd rather him be that than Greg Olsen. Or maybe a smoother Kelvin Benjamin is a better WR comparison, I think Xue might have used that one.

I prefer the pass catcher that actually catches the ball.

Yeah, I know how you feel about Funchess' hands. He was originally known for his great hands, then hit a rough patch. Seemed pretty obvious that they were concentration drops. Reminds me of T.O. that way--makes some insane catches with perfect form, looks clumsy sometimes with the big mitts just kind of engulfing the ball, and other times just plain drops easy gimmes.

Yeah, I know how you feel about Funchess' hands. He was originally known for his great hands, then hit a rough patch. Seemed pretty obvious that they were concentration drops. Reminds me of T.O. that way--makes some insane catches with perfect form, looks clumsy sometimes with the big mitts just kind of engulfing the ball, and other times just plain drops easy gimmes.
you have no idea how badly I wan him to fix the problem, but my god it was unwatchable last year.

you have no idea how badly I wan him to fix the problem, but my god it was unwatchable last year.
Crossing my fingers as well. I do think it's fixable.

Funchess is a lot more fluid, quicker, changes direction better, more coordinated, and a better route runner than Kelvin Benjamin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ZWTwI19HA

Benjamin received some Calvin Johnson comparisons, but IMO, Funchess is the closest in terms of movement skill. Has one of those effortless running gaits with some natural forward lean.

Funchess is a lot more fluid, quicker, changes direction better, more coordinated, and a better route runner than Kelvin Benjamin.

The more I see of him and imagine him strictly at WR, the more I think he might be the cleanest comparison to Alshon Jeffery since he came out.

Rotoworld:

QB Everett Golson practiced with Notre Dame for the first time in almost a year on Monday.
"I want to say surreal in a sense," Golson said. "I felt accomplished for a split moment, that I went through what I went through and now I'm back and I'm moving forward now and still continuing that process of trying to grind and be better." Golson returned to campus in January after serving a semester-long academic suspension that wiped out his 2013 season. Golson will fight Malik Zaire for the starting QB job. "In some of the film study I had with [Golson], there was definitely a conceptual awareness that he had lacked at some times with the passing game," Irish coach Brian Kelly said. "He clearly has that. It's an easier conversation for him. If I could give you the best way to explain it, it would be when he would explain his progression, it might take him 10 seconds. Well, you've got 2.6 seconds to throw the ball. Now he's precise in his communication."

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

North Carolina head coach Larry Fedora announced that senior TE Jack Tabb will likely be Eric Ebron's successor.
"Jack Tabb will most likely step into that role," Fedora said. "We've got Brandon Fritts, an incoming freshman, that is here. We have Eric Albright there; Tyler Alberts is moved into that position. We're going to have some good competition there this spring. We're going to have a tight end on the field." Tabb was the only UNC TE outside of Ebron to record stats in 2013, catching seven passes for 119 yards and a touchdown. Ebron led the Heels with 973 receiving yards. "Jack has the opportunity to be just as productive as Ebron was, and this enables other receivers on the field to get more balls also," Fedora said.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Georgia junior RB Todd Gurley's (ankle) spring practice availability is in doubt.
"Todd Gurley has still been bothered by the injury that he had, so I really don't know what to expect from Todd in the spring," Richt said. "My guess is that unless he's completely healed by March 18, there will be some modification to what he's doing." Gurley injured his ankle against LSU in September and missed the next three contests against Tennessee, Missouri and Vanderbilt. He's expected to be fine for training camp in the summer.

Source: georgiadogs.com

Very under the radar because he's a JUCO prospect, but you need to get to know Tyreek Hill WR/RB Oklahoma State. From what I've read, he's mostly going to be playing WR, but he's got some strength and some nice cuts as a runner: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1755890/highlights/39481375

Ran a 10.19 100m and 20.14 200m as a Senior in HS, and just ran a 6.65 60m a few days ago. That's 4.30-type speed. I'm pegging this kid to break Dri Archer's 4.26 when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread