Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Doctor Detroit

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun***

Yes, sounds like Torkelson is the consensus for #1 pick at this point.  It will be nice to get a solid college bat into the farm system.  Riley Greene really struggled at West Michigan to end the season so I suspect he starts there to start next season unless he has a great Spring Training.  No need to rush him since he just turned 19 last week. 

I see the Angels came to their senses and realized Ausmus is in over his head as a MLB manager and decided to cut bait after only one season. 

Very surprised they are bringing back the entire coaching staff. I don't get it at all. 

They are moving people around in their coaching jobs.

Deck chairs. Titanic.

1 minute ago, whoknew said:

Very surprised they are bringing back the entire coaching staff. I don't get it at all. 

They are moving people around in their coaching jobs.

Deck chairs. Titanic.

Meh, doesn't matter. Look at the roster. A rotation of Boyd-Zimmerman-Turnbull-Norris-misc journeyman until the young guys start getting called up. Zero bats with an OPS> 750. This team wasn't winning last year nor will they next year no matter who is pulling the strings.

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Meh, doesn't matter. Look at the roster. A rotation of Boyd-Zimmerman-Turnbull-Norris-misc journeyman until the young guys start getting called up. Zero bats with an OPS> 750. This team wasn't winning last year nor will they next year no matter who is pulling the strings.

I hear you. I just don't see much, if any, improvement/development from the position players. But that's organization wide. Almost everyone had a disappointing season this year.

Edited by whoknew

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, Eephus said:

An extension avoids making Gardenhire a lame duck next year.  He can still be fired after 2020 and it'll cost the organization a couple of million as a parting gift.

If he hasn't lost the clubhouse or the front office, you might as well keep him on another year or two until more pieces are in place.  It's not like the talent on the field is underachieving now.

I don`t get the "Lame Duck" thing on a team like this.   Every player on the Tigers are playing for their MLB careers even if Donald Duck is the manager.

I'm not intimately familiar with the state of Detroit's 40 man roster but I'm surprised that the Tigers didn't give more players a look at the major league level this season.  The Tigers only used 38 different players which tied them for second least (Houston only used 36).  A losing season is one thing but a lost season is worse. 

The Giants had 64 different players make MLB appearances this year.  Their 40 man roster churn was hard to follow sometimes but they were able to find some potential keepers.  40 man roster slots are a valuable commodity in the current game and maximizing them is critical to a rebuild.

23 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Giants had 64 different players make MLB appearances this year.  Their 40 man roster churn was hard to follow sometimes but they were able to find some potential keepers.  40 man roster slots are a valuable commodity in the current game and maximizing them is critical to a rebuild.

I don’t think the Tigers caught on to this 

20 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

I don’t think the Tigers caught on to this 

Maybe the new market inefficiency is giving September PAs to Gordon Beckham and Jordy Mercer.

48 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I'm not intimately familiar with the state of Detroit's 40 man roster but I'm surprised that the Tigers didn't give more players a look at the major league level this season.  The Tigers only used 38 different players which tied them for second least (Houston only used 36).  A losing season is one thing but a lost season is worse. 

This contributed to me completely checking out. It told me that 2020 is the beginning of the rebuild in their minds. If they're punting 2019 then so am I. But this is also why I have no opinion on retaining the staff. If management is tanking then there is nothing to assess with the coaching staff.

Now, should they have operated in this manner? Different issue. And I'm not sure how I feel about it.

10 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

This contributed to me completely checking out. It told me that 2020 is the beginning of the rebuild in their minds. If they're punting 2019 then so am I. But this is also why I have no opinion on retaining the staff. If management is tanking then there is nothing to assess with the coaching staff.

Now, should they have operated in this manner? Different issue. And I'm not sure how I feel about it.

The Tigers have two very bad contracts but that's neither uncommon or justification to stand pat until they're off the books.  I admit I approach this from a fantasy player's perspective but every day is an opportunity to improve the talent on your roster.  There's a natural tendency to get attached to your own players but there's no excuse when better ones are available on the waiver wire or via DFA.

I don't follow this team closely so correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like they didn't bring in many MLB players from other organizations.  Their 2019 "breakouts" (Lugo, Castro, Alexander) were all from within the system. 

2 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The Tigers have two very bad contracts but that's neither uncommon or justification to stand pat until they're off the books.  I admit I approach this from a fantasy player's perspective but every day is an opportunity to improve the talent on your roster.  There's a natural tendency to get attached to your own players but there's no excuse when better ones are available on the waiver wire or via DFA.

I don't follow this team closely so correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like they didn't bring in many MLB players from other organizations.  Their 2019 "breakouts" (Lugo, Castro, Alexander) were all from within the system. 

...and 'breakouts' is about right. Cause none of them were any good. I saw what you saw, which is why I said to hell with this sometime in spring. I don't know how to operate without end of roster churn. How can a bad MLB team operate without it though? They can rope me back, but at this point I need hooked. 

Why go big on changes if you already know there is only so far to go from 47 wins in one year.

One piece of collateral damage from 47-114 is I think it depresses the trade value of their only positional surplus.  Their three top starters made 91 starts with a fungible ERA+ and FIP better than ERA but they all have dismal W-L records.  Their MLB-ready prospects are mostly pitchers as well.  I know that W-L doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things but when offering a guy who went 3-17, you're not dealing from a position of strength. 

On 10/1/2019 at 1:16 PM, MAC_32 said:

When’s Fulmer back?

10 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

When’s Fulmer back?

TJ rehab varies, but it's typically more than a year. Hope he's back sometime in summer, that he's not rushed, and that he works out any of the inevitable hiccups in 2020 so that he's all systems go 2021. 

Given all the high draft picks the Tigers should be loaded with players like Acuna and Soto soon.

2 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Given all the high draft picks the Tigers should be loaded with players like Acuna and Soto soon.

Both were international free agents :shrug:

6 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Both were international free agents :shrug:

Even worse, International Scouting was Al Avila`s job when he was the assistant GM.

• Thinking 1

On 10/1/2019 at 1:58 PM, Eephus said:

Good stat

10 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Guess who`s back, back again, Maybins back, tell a friend.

3rd time is the charm.  Or is it the jinx?

2 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

3rd time is the charm.  Or is it the jinx?

Whatever helps them lose 100+

Although he has never been in shape it has been reported Miggy in the best shape of his life!!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, Da Guru said:

Although he has never been in shape it has been reported Miggy in the best shape of his life!!

If he can make it till June not on the DL I will believe it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Da Guru said:

He is 185 hits away from 3K and 23 homeruns short of 500. he would have to be the Miggy of old to break three thousand, but health-wise he should have a good shot at the five hundred mark. 

9 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

He is 185 hits away from 3K and 23 homeruns short of 500. he would have to be the Miggy of old to break three thousand, but health-wise he should have a good shot at the five hundred mark. 

Had Cabrera stayed healthy he easily could have been closing in on 600 HR and 2000 RBIs by the time his career is over.   Only 31 HRs total in the last 3 seasons after averaging  around 35 a year for his career.

We will see if he regains his power, last year he could not drive the ball to right and right center with any power.  That was his sweet spot for HRs.   

• Like 1

I think the Tigers have had had a good off-season adding some solid veterans on affordable deals.  The most important thing this year is for their minor league pitching to continue to develop but the big league team should be improved.

10 hours ago, Eephus said:

I think the Tigers have had had a good off-season adding some solid veterans on affordable deals.  The most important thing this year is for their minor league pitching to continue to develop but the big league team should be improved.

I've learned that it can always get worse, but when the only other team to have a worse run differential in the last 50 years was also the Tigers that is an exceptionally difficult task not to accomplish.

4 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I just hope they lose enough games to get the #1 pick again 

They can win 15 more games than last year and still lose 100.

Just realized Lloyd isn't the hitting coach anymore.

• Lloyd McClendon will move from hitting coach to bench coach;

• Joe Vavra will move from quality control coach to hitting coach;

• Dave Clark and Ramon Santiago will swap coaching spots, with Clark moving to first base and Santiago to third.

Edited by Leroy Hoard

Sounds like Skubal has had a good camp.

The three pitchers, Riley Greene, and the #1 pick. That's the future. Lets hope it works.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 12:38 PM, Dan Lambskin said:

I just hope they lose enough games to get the #1 pick again 

Don't think you will have to hope too hard.

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2020 at 8:56 AM, Da Guru said:

Don't think you will have to hope too hard.

I think they will be significantly better than last year. Having said that, they may still lose 100 games. But I would guess the under. More like somewhere in the mid to upper 90s.

Edited by whoknew