What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (3 Viewers)

I'm not intimately familiar with the state of Detroit's 40 man roster but I'm surprised that the Tigers didn't give more players a look at the major league level this season.  The Tigers only used 38 different players which tied them for second least (Houston only used 36).  A losing season is one thing but a lost season is worse. 

The Giants had 64 different players make MLB appearances this year.  Their 40 man roster churn was hard to follow sometimes but they were able to find some potential keepers.  40 man roster slots are a valuable commodity in the current game and maximizing them is critical to a rebuild.
Good stat

Although he has never been in shape it has been reported Miggy in the best shape of his life!!
He is 185 hits away from 3K and 23 homeruns short of 500. he would have to be the Miggy of old to break three thousand, but health-wise he should have a good shot at the five hundred mark. 

Encyclopedia Brown said:
He is 185 hits away from 3K and 23 homeruns short of 500. he would have to be the Miggy of old to break three thousand, but health-wise he should have a good shot at the five hundred mark. 
Had Cabrera stayed healthy he easily could have been closing in on 600 HR and 2000 RBIs by the time his career is over.   Only 31 HRs total in the last 3 seasons after averaging  around 35 a year for his career.

We will see if he regains his power, last year he could not drive the ball to right and right center with any power.  That was his sweet spot for HRs.   

I think the Tigers have had had a good off-season adding some solid veterans on affordable deals.  The most important thing this year is for their minor league pitching to continue to develop but the big league team should be improved.

I think the Tigers have had had a good off-season adding some solid veterans on affordable deals.  The most important thing this year is for their minor league pitching to continue to develop but the big league team should be improved.
I've learned that it can always get worse, but when the only other team to have a worse run differential in the last 50 years was also the Tigers that is an exceptionally difficult task not to accomplish.

Just realized Lloyd isn't the hitting coach anymore.

• Lloyd McClendon will move from hitting coach to bench coach;

• Joe Vavra will move from quality control coach to hitting coach;

• Dave Clark and Ramon Santiago will swap coaching spots, with Clark moving to first base and Santiago to third.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think you will have to hope too hard.
I think they will be significantly better than last year. Having said that, they may still lose 100 games. But I would guess the under. More like somewhere in the mid to upper 90s.

MLB Network showed Game 5 of the 1984 World Series. 

What an excellent game. Kirk Gibson was something.

The heart of the San Diego lineup: Gwynn/Garvey/Nettles went 2-12, with Gwynn at 0-5. 

I was curious about Sparky Anderson's age, so I looked it up. I assumed he was in his early sixties at that point--uh no, he was fifty

MLB Network showed Game 5 of the 1984 World Series. 

What an excellent game. Kirk Gibson was something.

The heart of the San Diego lineup: Gwynn/Garvey/Nettles went 2-12, with Gwynn at 0-5. 

I was curious about Sparky Anderson's age, so I looked it up. I assumed he was in his early sixties at that point--uh no, he was fifty
White hair will do that to you.

What a great time for those just a little too young to appreciate 1968.

Not only is moving Torkelson to 3B probably a terrible idea on its own, but Paredes is like the only minor leaguer they have that can hit and he plays 3B. Although I did read an article where they talked about trying to keep Paredes at SS, so maybe the goal is just to replicate @Hoos First’s current WIS infield.

Overall, I thought it was a good draft for the Tigers. Hopefully at least one of the 2-5 can hit.

Sounds like they are going to get all of them signed too - including Colt Keith.

Baseball is back! Woo hoo!

1) What will the Tigers do? I predict 12-48. Maybe as high as 15-45. 

2) Assuming there is no minor league season, what do they do with the big 3 pitchers? I guess they will be on this taxi squad?

Tigers 60-game schedule

July 24-26: at Reds

July 27-30: vs. Royals

July 31-Aug. 2: vs. Reds

Aug. 3-4: vs. Cardinals

Aug. 5-6: at Cardinals

Aug. 7-9: at Pirates

Aug. 10-12: vs. White Sox

Aug. 14-16: vs. Indians

Aug. 17-20: at White Sox

Aug. 21-23: at Indians

Aug. 24-26: vs. Cubs

Aug. 27-30: vs. Twins

Sept. 1-2: at Brewers

Sept. 4-7: at Twins

Sept. 8-9: vs. Brewers

Sept. 11-13: at White Sox

Sept. 15-16: vs. Royals

Sept. 17-20: vs. Indians

Sept. 22-23: at Twins

Sept. 24-27: at Royals

Any word on what the playing time for Miggy will be? He is close to a couple of milestones--185 hits away from 3K and 23 homeruns away from 500. 

If he could put a slight dent into each category then maybe next season he could surpass both numbers. 
I believe he will be the full time DH, as long as he can stay healthy. Maybe a scheduled off day here or there.

Looks like J.Z. has made his last Tigers pitch. Nothing against him as a competitor,  but it's time to move on and open that starting slot for one of their recent draft picks.

Users who are viewing this thread