What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (4 Viewers)

Cabrera lead-off double, takes third on a wild pitch. JD and Hunter with terrible at bats, JD swings at two pitches way out of the zone and Hunter watches a 3-2 fastball right down the middle go past. Team looks terrible.

I wonder how much Soria is going to cost?
More than yesterday.
Yeah, that's true with the Street trade and now the Tigers seeming even more desperate.
The question is will Ausmus pull the plug on Nathan? Nathans body of work this season has shown that he is not the same pitcher he has been in the past. The way he has pitched combined with his age makes it difficult to think he will get it back anytime soon. This has been going on since spring training. Right now how could they have any confidence to bring Nathan in to close a playoff game?

You guys are a streaky bunch, I'll tell you that.
Tigers are streaky for sure, one week no one can touch them, next week meh. Still the best team in the central, and Nathan has lots of security when you listen to the Tigers management talk about him. I still think Joe can be the closer

Tigers just one game over .500 at home this year, yet still 5.5 games up in the division. Gotta think that home record improves in the second half, they've been one of the best teams in the league at home over recent years.

Here's a quick look at the next series for the Detroit Tigers:

Opponent: Arizona Diamondbacks

Site: Chase Field in Phoenix, Ariz.

Records: Tigers, 54-41 (1st in AL Central); Diamondbacks, 43-56 (4th in NL West)

Schedule

Monday: RHP Justin Verlander (8-8, 4.88 ERA) vs. LHP Vidal Nuno (0-1, 3.00 ERA), 9:40 p.m., FSD

Tuesday: RHP Rick Porcello (12-5, 3.39 ERA) vs. RHP Chase Anderson (6-4, 3.64 ERA), 9:40 p.m., FSD

Wednesday: RHP Anibal Sanchez (6-4, 3.22 ERA) vs. RHP Trevor Cahill (1-6, 5.63 ERA), 3:40 p.m., FSD

Scouting the Diamondbacks: A series against Arizona might be a good spot for the Tigers to start swinging the bats better. The Diamondbacks rank near the bottom of the National League in ERA (4.23, 14th), WHIP (1.33, 13th) and opponents' batting average (.265, 13th). The starting rotation ranks 14th in the National League in all three categories. Right-hander Josh Collmenter, who went to Homer High School and Central Michigan University, has been their most consistent starter, but the Tigers will miss him because he started Sunday against the Cubs. The offense for the Diamondbacks ranks fifth in the National League in average (.256) and seventh in runs scored (393). First baseman Paul Goldschmidt has posted monster numbers this season. He is hitting .311 with 18 home runs, 65 RBIs and a .968 OPS. He also has drawn 58 walks, scored 70 runs and stolen eight bases. Catcher Miguel Montero has driven in 55 runs. Despite being 13 games under .500, the Diamondbacks have been playing better in the past couple weeks. They swept the Chicago Cubs in a three-game series this past weekend and are 7-3 in their past 10 games.

Pitt, Tigers and the Tribe all interested in Benoit. This will drive the price up a bit.
Seems more and more like there will be no deal for either Benoit or Soria. How many days does it take to close a deal? My sense is both teams are asking too much.

interesting lineup going against a lefty in a NL park:

1 CF Austin Jackson - R 

loading.gif

2 2B Ian Kinsler - R 
loading.gif

3 3B Miguel Cabrera - R 
loading.gif

4 1B Victor Martinez - S 
loading.gif

5 RF Torii Hunter - R 
loading.gif

6 SS Eugenio Suarez - R
loading.gif

7 C Bryan Holaday - R
loading.gif

8 LF Rajai Davis - R
loading.gif

9 P Justin Verlander - R

I was surprised that homer moved Hunter into a tie for 2nd with Miggy, and for the moment he's 2nd in RBIs. He's been sizzling the last few weeks - his July line is .373/387/.678.

I was surprised that homer moved Hunter into a tie for 2nd with Miggy, and for the moment he's 2nd in RBIs. He's been sizzling the last few weeks - his July line is .373/387/.678.
Yeah he fixed a hitch in his swing I guess, but he's pretty streaky anyway. As a Tiger he's mostly been awesome or really bad, not much in-between.

AJAX has hit well since moving back to leadoff also. .856 OPS coming into tonight hitting first.

Have to give Ausmus some credit there for sticking with AJax. He didn't look good when they first moved him back to the top of the lineup but he came around. Need those kind of contributions in a long season.

Sergio Santos was DFA's by the Jays today, I'd definitely bring him in for a look. He's had an awful year but he's got some pretty evil stuff.

Hate west coast games. Go to bed with a 3-0 lead and JV on a no-no (OK, I'm old and go into work at oh-dark-thirty). Good job by the bullpen last night.

JV moved into third on the Tigers all-time strikeout list, passing Prince Hal Newhouser last night. His 287th start tied him with Earl Whitehill. The latter was never a threat for the HoF but was a solid starter in the offensive explosion era that came with Ruth's rise to prominence. They called him The Earl because he was handsome and a sharp dresser. The gal he married was something of a celeb herself, featured as a Sun Maid Raisin girl. The Earl was a scrawny lefty who annually was in the top ten in hit batsmen. I know all this thanks to reading a book from the voice of the Turtle. Ernie Harwell always told the best stories! Some of them were even true.

Have to give Ausmus some credit there for sticking with AJax. He didn't look good when they first moved him back to the top of the lineup but he came around. Need those kind of contributions in a long season.
Did you see the stat line last night? The whole Tiger OF is batting over 350 for the month of July. Davis, JD, Hunter and Ajax. On another note Kinsler made of the of the best plays I have seen all year from a second baseman.

Did you see the stat line last night? The whole Tiger OF is batting over 350 for the month of July. Davis, JD, Hunter and Ajax. On another note Kinsler made of the of the best plays I have seen all year from a second baseman.
The only time I get games are MLB regional coverage, ESPN or the weekly Fox game. I've seen them around 15-20 times this year, not bad for being out of area.

I know, I know, I should shoot the lock off the wallet and get the MLB package, right? Guy my office has that thing you can stream on any device, I should look into that.

Kind of fun to see NL strategy at work in a game. JV was able to walk the #8 batter to fill the bases with 2 outs in a middle inning and get their starting pitcher to ground out. Arizona pulled the pitcher very soon thereafter ...maybe they should have gone with a PH. No hits for JV, though. Let's see how Porcello bats tonight.

KC and the Sux both lost, so we opened up a good-sized gap again. Debate here in Chicago is whether the Sux should join the Cubbies by dumping some players and starting to rebuild.

Debate here in Chicago is whether the Sux should join the Cubbies by dumping some players and starting to rebuild.
How can that even be a debate?
Memories of about 20 years ago when they waved the white flag when only back a couple of games ...some seller's remorse. The logic is they're not that far out of the wild card slot (5.5, but with four other teams between them and Seattle), and they hope to get Garcia back at some point. Still: Wishful thinking. FWIW, I noticed the other day they're filling only 50% of the ballpark this year.

Detroit Tigers Leaders

Name Batting Average

Anibal Sanchez .500

Justin Verlander .333

J.D. Martinez. .328

F'n positional players

:rant:

Miguel Cabrera back at third base tonight, Nick Castellanos odd man out again

Who: Detroit Tigers (55-41, 1st in AL Central) at Arizona Diamondbacks (43-57, 4th in NL West)

When: 9:40 p.m.

Where: Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

RHP Rick Porcello (12-5, 3.39 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Diamondbacks: 0-1, 6.75 ERA

Arizona Diamondbacks

RHP Chase Anderson (6-4, 3.64 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: No appearances

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

1. Austin Jackson, CF

2. Ian Kinsler 2B

3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B

4. Victor Martinez, 1B

5. J.D. Martinez, LF

6. Torii Hunter, RF

7. Alex Avila, C

8. Eugenio Suarez, SS

9. Rick Porcello, P

Arizona Diamondbacks

1. David Peralta, CF

2. Aaron Hill, 2B (2 for 11, 1 HR)

3. Paul Goldschmidt, 1B

4. Miguel Montero, C (2 for 3, 1 HR)

5. Mark Trumbo, LF (4 for 13)

6. Gerardo Parra, RF (0 for 2)

7. Martin Prado, 3B

8. Didi Gregorius, SS

9. Chase Anderson, P

GAME NOTES

-- For the second straight game, Nick Castellanos has been held out of the starting lineup. He's the odd man out with the Tigers forced to play without a designated hitter. He's expected to be back in the starting lineup at third base Wednesday.

-- With Castellanos on the bench, available for pinch-hit duties, Miguel Cabrera is back at third base and Victor Martinez returns to first base. Martinez will likely get the day off Wednesday when Castellanos returns to the starting lineup.

-- J.D. Martinez is back in the lineup Tuesday after he was the odd man out in the Tigers' current outfield shuffle. He will start in left field and Rajai Davis will be available off the bench.

-- Alex Avila is back behind the plate tonight with Rick Porcello on the mound. Bryan Holaday got the start at catcher Monday night. Porcello is 4-1 with a 1.96 ERA in his last five starts, and will seek his league-leading 13th win.

-- Austin Jackson, tonight's leadoff hitter, has hit .439 in his last 10 games after hitting a home run and a double Monday. He is hitting .379 with 13 runs scored, eight doubles, two triples, one home run and six RBIs since July 2.

-- Justin Verlander moved past Hal Newhouser for third in franchise history with five strikeouts Monday. The only two Tigers pitchers with more strikeouts in club history are Mickey Lolich (2,679 strikeouts) and Jack Morris (1,980 strikeouts).

Friggin' Avila - 4-3 lead, top of 8th, men on 2nd and 3rd. He strikes out again ..3rd time ...allowing ARI to walk Suarez and force a decision on whether to bat Porcello, who was sitting at just 77 pitches through 7 innings.

Friggin' Davis - based loaded, 3-0 count ...and he Ks.

Friggin' Coke, et al - 3 walks and a hit.

Tough call on whether to PH for Porcello. A hit generates some buffer on the 4-3 lead. But maybe Porcello gets lucky. Worst case, he has a shot to finish off another game and hold onto the slim lead. But if Avila comes through in any way, that call doesn't have to be made. ####

Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said Hanrahan was shut down after his last bullpen session Saturday and will be examined later this week.

####!!!!

Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said Hanrahan was shut down after his last bullpen session Saturday and will be examined later this week.

####!!!!
Well, Andy Dirks is back to throwing from 120 feet and hitting balls off a tee, e.g., baseball related activities. Cheer up, sunshine.

Alex Avila ...RBI machine! lol

Gotta be disheartening for a team to get down early against Detroit and know you've still got to get through the Miggy/VMart sequence a couple more times.

Chamberlain is going to get a nice mid-sized FA contract this offseason. Pretty much the only bullpen guy I trust.

Tigers are 48-3 after seven innings this year though, so it's not nearly as bad as some want to make it out to be.

Tigers are 48-3 after seven innings this year though, so it's not nearly as bad as some want to make it out to be.
When the playoffs arrive, do you think they'll switch Smyly back to middle relief? If the starters can go 7 innings in a number of the playoff games and Smyly could bridge or finish a couple more, they should be quite fine, I would think.

Chamberlain is going to get a nice mid-sized FA contract this offseason. Pretty much the only bullpen guy I trust.

I would like to see Joba remain a Tiger, and I heard an interview where he said this has been his most enjoyable season in the bigs. Sad to see 20 million pissed away on Nathan.

I would like to see Joba remain a Tiger, and I heard an interview where he said this has been his most enjoyable season in the bigs. Sad to see 20 million pissed away on Nathan.
He had a rough ride in New York. They were always on his case about his weight, and he was a malcontent who was unhappy he wasn't a starter. Now he's a jolly fat man. The Tigers as a group are pretty loose and he fits right in. Hope they resign him but these guys have such a narrow peak earning window....

Users who are viewing this thread