What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (3 Viewers)

We have a business partner/agent who is friends with the Yankees first baseman. Last winter he decided to treat him to a BB game at the Carrierdome. Our friend is...rather large...and cuts a distinctive figure. Someone uploaded a pic of the pair, it went viral, they had no idea this was going on for hours, my buddies & I had a blast following this from a bar in midtown. It was the greatest ####### day in the history of the innerwebs.

No single link can do this justice; I would strongly encourage you to Google "Mark Teixeira Jewish Consigliere". Mother####ing priceless.
:lmao:

Jewish Tony Soprano

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a business partner/agent who is friends with the Yankees first baseman. Last winter he decided to treat him to a BB game at the Carrierdome. Our friend is...rather large...and cuts a distinctive figure. Someone uploaded a pic of the pair, it went viral, they had no idea this was going on for hours, my buddies & I had a blast following this from a bar in midtown. It was the greatest ####### day in the history of the innerwebs.

No single link can do this justice; I would strongly encourage you to Google "Mark Teixeira Jewish Consigliere". Mother####ing priceless.
:lmao: Jewish Tony Soprano
:lol:

I was fond of SB Nation's "Operation Who Is This Guy?"

Also Jim Johnson signed to minor league deal... Good risk/reward
Was thinking Santos was the play but Johnson works also. I mean he sucked this year but he's been good in the past, and he's an upgrade over ole Patty McCoy.

Surprised the Marlins already gave up on Turner, he's 23 years old for Christ's sake.

Jacob Turner DFA'd today... Who'd we get for him? Infante?
Anibal + Infante for Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly and Brian Flynn going the other way.
I liked the trade at the time, but didn't see it ending like this. Brantly has regressed, Turner DFA'd at 23, and Brian Flynn has a 1.5 WHIP at AAA.
Dombrowski has had some extraordinary fortune. Other than Fister...even then, the Porcello breakout and landing Price makes that one look OK.

Anibal + Infante for Jacob Turner, Rob Brantly and Brian Flynn going the other way.
I liked the trade at the time, but didn't see it ending like this. Brantly has regressed, Turner DFA'd at 23, and Brian Flynn has a 1.5 WHIP at AAA.
Cameron Maybin as well. Maybin has been a huge bust. DD has turned junk into gold. The only trade he has been fleeced on is the Fister deal.

Cameron Maybin as well. Maybin has been a huge bust. DD has turned junk into gold. The only trade he has been fleeced on is the Fister deal.
You keep saying this but you can't prove it. Why does this bother you and others so much?

Fister is not needed on this team, wasn't before the Price trade and isn't now for sure. If Ray sucks he got fleeced, and Ray isn't going to suck.

You keep saying this but you can't prove it. Why does this bother you and others so much?

Fister is not needed on this team, wasn't before the Price trade and isn't now for sure. If Ray sucks he got fleeced, and Ray isn't going to suck.
Does not bother me at all. When you are trading you win some and you lose some. If you listen to all the pundits on the MLB Network and I know you do they seem to feel that Washington got the much better end of the deal. We have no idea what Ray will be. Hopefully he will be a solid.

Seems to bother you, you bring it up a lot. :shrug:
Hopefully Ray pans out. I remember when you did not like the Maybin trade.

When was that? Go ahead and look for it, it's not there.
You ####ting me?? You were talking Maybin up like the next Dave Winfield!
Yeah, I love Maybin. You saying that I didn't like that trade however is a huge false statement.

The Cabrera trade was one of my top five moments as a Tigers fan. I was in Seville, Spain in my hotel room when I found out, couldn't even sleep that night.

Soria picks up his first win as a Tiger in his fifth appearance, while lowering his DET ERA to 12.27.

This next sentence seems like a first time / last time thing: the key hits were Romine and Avila solo HRs.

Price is a horse. Made a couple mistakes but sheet he looked fresh striking out Headley with his 112th pitch.

Seems to bother you, you bring it up a lot. :shrug:
Hopefully Ray pans out. I remember when you did not like the Maybin trade.

When was that? Go ahead and look for it, it's not there.
You ####ting me?? You were talking Maybin up like the next Dave Winfield!
Yeah, I love Maybin. You saying that I didn't like that trade however is a huge false statement.

The Cabrera trade was one of my top five moments as a Tigers fan. I was in Seville, Spain in my hotel room when I found out, couldn't even sleep that night.
All good!! And I will admit my facts are not that great... I do remember that you loved Maybin though so stop busting my balls.

Doctor Detroit said:
ChrisCooleyFan said:
M. Cabrera played LF huh? What would it cost for him?
Miguel Cabrera? Probably the entire farm system and Oscar's Coney Island on Grand River should be a good starting point.
lol
I guess in my youthful naivety I didn't understand how big that trade was. Now that I'm a little older the Price deal is surreal. I like Smyly a lot and will be the first to say I would still rather had them send Porcello (even though that wasn't realistic). Having players like this in their prime all on the same team is a rarity I hope they are finally able to fully take advantage of. I just hope 10 years from now I'm not jaded by 10 years of World Series or bust mind set.

Two unlikily Heros..the bullpen and Avila.

Price looked great. Had hard stuff and great control. Only remember him being behind on two batters. Most were 0-2 or 1-2 counts.

Does not bother me at all. When you are trading you win some and you lose some. If you listen to all the pundits on the MLB Network and I know you do they seem to feel that Washington got the much better end of the deal. We have no idea what Ray will be. Hopefully he will be a solid.
I think the Fister trade sucked as well, but it's far too early to call that one a fleecing. The point of the other trades is that there is enough time to look back and understand what the players involved have become. Not nearly enough time to do that on the Fister trade.

The pundits didn't like it. You and I didn't like it. But we're all just guessing until these guys play for a few years.

We probably don't make the Price trade if we don't make the Fister trade.

Is that a good thing? or a bad thing?

Price looked great. Had hard stuff and great control. Only remember him being behind on two batters. Most were 0-2 or 1-2 counts.
Hopefully the efficient pitching rubs off on the others. Come playoff time, we'll be a lot better off if the starters can go 8 or 9.

Hopefully the efficient pitching rubs off on the others. Come playoff time, we'll be a lot better off if the starters can go 8 or 9.
Seriously, this is the best part of the Price deal. If you can't upgrade the bullpen more, then make them not needed more.

Getting Price and then Porcello pitching well nullified any negatives of the Fister trade. I think I am really going to like Carrera and hope they use him more.

jon_mx said:
MAC_32 said:

Getting Price and then Porcello pitching well nullified any negatives of the Fister trade. I think I am really going to like Carrera and hope they use him more.
I think it goes further than that. If we don't trade Fister, while we don't have Price, we still have an adequate CF and could use our starting pitching depth to try to patch the holes in the bullpen a/o at SS. Quantity? or quality? Honestly, I'm not sure what this team needs more. Quantity approach is definitely safer though.

I think they made the Fister deal thinking they would re-sign Max

Now it sounds like Max will walk, and they get Price for this year and next. Possibly sign Price long term instead? Why not

either way gotta love Dave D, the guy does what it takes. Heck 2015 rotation could be JV,Price,Sanchez,Procello & Robbie Ray. fine by me

jon_mx said:
MAC_32 said:

I think it goes further than that. If we don't trade Fister, while we don't have Price, we still have an adequate CF and could use our starting pitching depth to try to patch the holes in the bullpen a/o at SS. Quantity? or quality? Honestly, I'm not sure what this team needs more. Quantity approach is definitely safer though.
Every team has holes. SS is defintely a worry, outfield was already a depth and is easy to fill in free agency if thats a deficiency heading into next season and relief pitching is that same thing. Relief pitching is fickle, the fact that DD has been so apt to give relievers some pretty decent deals and it hasn't completely torched him has been a surprise in itself. Nathan is coming close though.

Jim Johnson should fit in the bullpen immediately though: ####ty pitcher, ####ty statistics, ####ty facial hair.

In all seriousness I hope that low risk add works out, especially because it's burning Oakland once again.

jon_mx said:
MAC_32 said:

Every team has holes. SS is defintely a worry, outfield was already a depth and is easy to fill in free agency if thats a deficiency heading into next season and relief pitching is that same thing.
Not really worried about next year right now, can't completely ignore it but this year is a much greater priority. I'm not sure which setup would have better for the team this year. I'm leaning the safe route though. The thought of Brandon Moss vs. Phil Coke w/two men on and Rajai Davis in center in the 7th inning gives me the shakes.

Center field is the hardest position to fill in the outfield. As is we have three corner OF's (four if Dirks ever gets healthy) + Carerra. We don't have OF depth at the right position. This is definitely a future years issue, but also a big problem the rest of this year. A Jacks is a frustrating batter, but while the dude won't dive for a fly ball he mans a pretty solid CF. Davis does not. Carerra does, but it comes at a cost - historically an awful bat. Has that changed? Hope so, but not expecting it.

Shortstop kinda blows everywhere right now, so having an issue there isn't the end of the world nor is it necessarily a disadvantage. May not have been able to cut a deal for one anyway. Although we could have made a stronger pitch for a guy like J Roll, a very aggravating player but is certainly an upgrade to what we currently have.

I agree with you about patching together the bullpen year to year, it's the right approach. It hasn't gone great for us lately, but that's how the bounces go with relief pitching. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Ours is not good right now and if we're playing for this year having more trade pieces could have gone a long ways towards addressing that issue. I think if you're a playoff bound team and the pen is an issue right now then it needs to be addressed.

It's clear what Dom is doing with this deal, he's banking on the starting pitching dominating and getting just enough offense to win. He thinks the Tigers can do it despite the up-the-middle personnel issues and very shaky relief pitching because Price is just that great...but what combo would you rather have?

Price

Fister + Smyly + A Jacks (probably the most unlikely setup - someone would trade for a pitcher)

Fister or Smyly + A Jacks + either a stronger pen or stronger SS

A Jacks + a stronger pen + a stronger SS (playoff rotation would be Max + Sanchez + Porcello + JV)

I don't share the concern at SS. I think Suarez is more than adequate. Has about the same batting average as Peralta and has much better range.

Not sure why MLive doesn't report on the Tigers affiliate in the NY-Penn league (Conneticut Tigers) - they left them off the report last month as well - but here is the minor league report:

Inside the minors: Toledo catcher James McCann swinging hot bat; Hernan Perez scuffling since break

James Schmehl | jschmehl@mlive.com

Aug 5, 2014 12:34 PM

Our weekly look at the Detroit Tigers' minor-league affiliates:

TRIPLE-A TOLEDO

Record: 58-60 (.492)

Standings: 3rd (International League West)

Games behind: 3.5

Who's hot: C James McCann has hit .407 with a .907 OPS and eight doubles since the All-Star break. He's hitting .362 with a .920 OPS against left-handed pitchers this season. ... OF Tyler Collins has batted .368 with three home runs and seven RBIs in his last 10 games. Collins, who is on the Tigers' 40-man roster, has a 1.126 OPS in his last 38 at-bats. ... RHP Justin Miller (2-1, 1.45 ERA) has a 1.98 ERA and has given up just three runs in his last 10 appearances. ... Toledo has won 11 of its last 20 games since the All-Star break and trails West Division leader Columbus by 3 1/2 games. The Mud Hens are 7 1/2 games behind wild card leader Pawtucket.

Who's not: INF Hernan Perez has hit .184 with just one extra-base hit in his last 10 games, and has batted .192 with a .233 slugging percentage since the All-Star break. Perez could be called up later this week if SS Eugenio Suarez is placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left knee. ... OF Daniel Fields is hitting .164 with 17 strikeouts in 17 games since returning from the 7-day disabled list. ... LHP Daniel Schlereth (2-3, 7.45 ERA) has been placed on the temporarily inactive list to be with his wife, who is having health issues, according to the Toledo Blade. Schlereth has a 7.84 ERA since joining the Mud Hens, and he has a 7.45 ERA for the season.

Injury update: LHP Duane Below (7-day disabled list), LHP Casey Crosby (7-day disabled list), RHP Drew VerHagen (7-day disabled list)

DOUBLE-A ERIE

Record: 56-59 (.487)

Standings: 4th (Eastern League Western)

Games behind: 10

Who's hot: OF Steven Moya, the frontrunner to be named this year's Eastern League MVP, has hit two home runs in his last four games and owns a league-leading 28 homers. He was named the Tigers' Minor League Player of the Month for July after hitting .304 with seven doubles, one triple, 10 home runs and 33 RBIs. ... 2B Devon Travis has hit .382 with five homers and a 1.092 OPS since the All-Star break. ... West Michigan LHP Joe Mantiply was promoted to Double-A Erie on Tuesday. The SeaWolves have not announced a corresponding move. Mantiply has a 2.40 ERA and eight saves in 38 games with the Whitecaps. ... LHP Joe Turley, who was promoted from Single-A Lakeland last month, threw seven shutout innings of two-hit ball to pick up his third win in four starts for Erie. ... RHP Buck Farmer (11-5, 2.63 ERA) picked up the win in his Erie debut last Friday after he gave up two runs and three hits. He was named the Tigers' Minor League Pitcher of the Month for July after he went 3-0 with a 0.41 ERA in four starts in West Michigan.

Who's not: C Ramon Cabrera has batted .183 with a .217 slugging percentage since the All-Star break. ... INF Francisco Martinez has hit .158 with a .175 on-base percentage in his last 10 games.

Injury update: LHP Matt Crouse (7-day disabled list), INF Brandon Loy (7-day disabled list)

SINGLE-A LAKELAND

Record: 56-54 (.509)

Standings: 3rd (Florida State League North)

Games behind: 8.5

Who's hot: OF Connor Harrell has hit three homers, three doubles and a triple in his last 10 games. He has an .846 slugging percentage this month. ... RHP Edgar De La Rosa (6-8, 2.66 ERA) has allowed three or fewer runs in each of his last nine starts. ... RHP Whit Mayberry (0-0, 1.04 ERA), selected in the 21st round in the 2014 draft, has allowed just one run in his first three relief appearances in Lakeland. ... C Austin Green was named Florida State League Player of the Week after he hit .409 (9 for 22) with two doubles, two home runs and six RBIs.

Who's not: OF Tyler Gibson has hit .111 (2 for 18) with seven strikeouts in his first six games since being promoted from Class A West Michigan. ... The Flying Tigers have won just 14 of their last 43 games.

Injury update: RHP Endrys Briceno (7-day disabled list), RHP Kevin Eichhorn (7-day disabled list), RHP Charlie Gillies (7-day disabled list), LHP Joe Rogers (7-day disabled list)

CLASS A WEST MICHIGAN

Record: 69-44 (.611)

Standings: 1st (Midwest League Eastern)

Games behind: --

Who's hot: OF Andy Dirks has hit .250 with a .400 on-base percentage in four games since resuming his injury rehab assignment in West Michigan. ... The Whitecaps, already assured of a playoff berth after winning the first half of the Eastern Division in the Midwest League, have won 28 of their last 43 games. ... OF Wynton Bernard, who has hit a team-high .329 this season, is 15 for 40 (.375) with three doubles and three stolen bases in his last 10 games.

Who's not: C Grayson Greiner, who has hit .322 with 16 RBIs in his first 26 games, was placed on the disabled list with a left wrist sprain after being hit by a pitch last Wednesday. ... OF Austin Schotts, named the Tigers' best athlete according to Baseball America, has hit .115 with just one extra-base hit in his last 10 games. He's batting .199 with a .254 on-base percentage this season.

Injury update: RHP Adam Ravenelle (7-day disabled list), RHP Jeff Thompson (7-day disabled list), C Grayson Greiner (7-day disabled list), INF Brett Harrison (7-day disabled list)

MAC - I figure that in the late innings, the Tigers will try to substitute Carrera for RDavis. The key will be getting some leads so they can transition a couple of positions to defensively skilled players.

MAC - I figure that in the late innings, the Tigers will try to substitute Carrera for RDavis. The key will be getting some leads so they can transition a couple of positions to defensively skilled players.
Right, the scenario where coke & davis are in those exact spots more than likely won't occur ,so those shakes might never happen.

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

RHP Justin Verlander (10-9, 4.66 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Yankees: 5-5, 3.84 ERA

New York Yankees

LHP Chris Capuano (1-2, 4.50 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: 2-0, 6.43 ERA

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

1. Rajai Davis, LF (3 for 5)

2. Ian Kinsler, 2B (2 for 2, 1 HR)

3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B (9 for 23, 4 HR)

4. Victor Martinez, DH (3 for 7, 1 HR)

5. J.D. Martinez, RF (0 for 2)

6. Nick Castellanos, 3B (0 for 1)

7. Bryan Holaday, C (0 for 1)

8. Andrew Romine, SS (0 for 1)

9. Ezequiel Carrera, CF

New York Yankees

1. Brett Gardner, LF (3 for 16)

2. Derek Jeter, SS (13 for 36, 1 HR)

3. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF (5 for 22)

4. Mark Teixeira, 1B (3 for 31, 1 HR)

5. Carlos Beltran, DH (1 for 7)

6. Brian McCann, C (1 for 5)

7. Chase Headley, 3B (2 for 6)

8. Stephen Drew, 2B (2 for 8)

9. Martin Prado, RF (3 for 6)

GAME NOTES

-- Torii Hunter is not in tonight's starting lineup. Hunter left Tuesday's game in the ninth inning with a bruised left hand after being hit by a pitch from Dellin Betances. X-rays were negative and Hunter is listed as day to day.

-- Tigers rookie shortstop Eugenio Suarez is out of the starting lineup for a second straight day. Suarez suffered a left knee sprain on Monday. Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said there was a small chance Suarez could be back in the lineup today.

-- Justin Verlander will become the third former AL Cy Young Award winner to take the mound at Yankee Stadium in as many days. Verlander turned in his longest start since his second of the season when he went eight innings to pick up his 10th win this season last Friday.

-- Former Tigers stars Mickey Lolich and Jack Morris are the only other Tigers pitchers with at least 10 wins in nine straight years in the last 70 years, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

-- The Tigers will face starting pitcher Chris Capuano, who was acquired by the Yankees from the Rockies in exchange for cash considerations last month. He is is 2-0 with a 6.00 ERA in two career starts against the Tigers.

-- Mark Teixeira is back in the lineup for a second straight game. He was a late scratch Monday after he became lightheaded before the game. He went 0 for 5 on Tuesday, and is 3 for 38 with 12 strikeouts in his career against Verlander.

-- Miguel Cabrera is 9 for 23 with four homers off Capuano and has hit .362 (64 for 177) with 12 doubles, one triple, 18 home runs and 44 RBIs in 48 career games against New York.

-- Today's forecast at Yankee Stadium calls for mostly sunny skies with temperatures slowly falling to near 73 degrees.

-- The Tigers announced Wednesday that they will honor Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter prior to their game on Aug. 27 at Comerica Park.

Detroit Tigers

9. Ezequiel Carrera, CF
Might be hard to maintain that MLB leading .801 OPS vs LHP with this lineup but who knows. :shrug:

Detroit Tigers

9. Ezequiel Carrera, CF
Might be hard to maintain that MLB leading .801 OPS vs LHP with this lineup but who knows. :shrug:
Oooo look at the big brain on Leroy. Learned how to sort lookup splits. ;)

The streakiest team sure does seen like it's feast or famine a lot. Last night was a sweet one to eek out. Blew a run down, spiked a DP ball, two guys turned a grounder into an infield double, warning track outs - pretty lucky. Well, plus the Messiah was pitching.

Detroit Tigers

9. Ezequiel Carrera, CF
The injured Hunter & Eugenius + Toledo's McCann would look wonderful in the 7-8-9 spots. :grad:

Detroit Tigers

9. Ezequiel Carrera, CF
The injured Hunter & Eugenius + Toledo's McCann would look wonderful in the 7-8-9 spots. :grad:
Are you suggesting last night's hero should be sitting more often? Blasphemy. You prolly liked Pena, too. We need the 5th best defensive catcher in the AL calling every game.

:mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread