What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (4 Viewers)

What if Dombrowski didn't trade Fister for Furbush? Our bullpen would be better now and we wouldn't have had to trade for Soria.

What if Leyland would have quit after the 2010 season and we had Kirk Gibson managing right now? Tigers would be 30-75

What if they would have never knocked down Tiger Stadium? We wouldn't have the huge stadium revenue and Pudge would have never signed leading to a domino effect among the roster.

What if Bobby Higginson would have been the next Carl Yastrzemski? We'd have no room for the Cabrera statue in LF.

What if Willie Horton hadn't stood on a car roof screaming at rioters in 1967? We wouldn't have a city.

What if Ty Cobb wasn't a racist?

What if...

What if........

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Jim Johnson will be ready to pitch for the Pirates series.

Guy had 50 saves in each of the last two seasons, and he was really great two years ago. Never thought he had closer stuff but he's no where near as bad as he's pitched this year. His XFIP is almost three runs lower than his ERA and his BABIP is a ridiculous .390. The walks have hurt him but his line drive/Fly Ball/ground ball percentages aren't far from his career averages. Not saying he's gonna be a savior, but I think he's a better option than Al Al for example.

Ian Kinsler has been pretty good in his first year with the Tigers, but he's been superb in the field. Just three errors and his advanced stats say he's been very, very good. His walk rate is down considerably though, would be nice if he starts looking to get on base more as September approaches.

One thing not mentioned here: Last night Price, Chamberlain, Soria, and Nathan pitched. New guys doing work. :thumbup:

The only good take away from this game is that Verlander seems to have regained some of his velocity and pitched well. Verlander had a stretch of seven games from mid-may to mid-June which were horrible. Lately he has progressively looked better, which will be huge down the stretch and into the playoffs. Need to take the game tomorrow and earn a split.

What if Dombrowski didn't trade Fister for Furbush? Our bullpen would be better now and we wouldn't have had to trade for Soria.

What if Leyland would have quit after the 2010 season and we had Kirk Gibson managing right now? Tigers would be 30-75

What if they would have never knocked down Tiger Stadium? We wouldn't have the huge stadium revenue and Pudge would have never signed leading to a domino effect among the roster.

What if Bobby Higginson would have been the next Carl Yastrzemski? We'd have no room for the Cabrera statue in LF.

What if Willie Horton hadn't stood on a car roof screaming at rioters in 1967? We wouldn't have a city.

What if Ty Cobb wasn't a racist?

What if...

What if........
As they say: If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

Doctor Detroit said:
What if

What if...

What if........
they had given a chance to a certain beloved player, a potential legend. If they had just let him demonstrate his greatness. Maybe today, when we look back upon the great catchers of the 1970's, and say the names--Fisk....Bench....Munson--we would also utter one more name.

Wockenfuss.

Carrera has had a hot bat all year, and it still seems hot. He quickly has established what kind of glove he has. I would be working him into the lineup as much as possible.

Carrera has had a hot bat all year, and it still seems hot. He quickly has established what kind of glove he has. I would be working him into the lineup as much as possible.
Reading his bio and at 27 Carrera has bounced the around minors and majors. It would be an amazing story if he sticks and produces to have two castoffs like JD and Carrera playing important roles on a World Series contender.

Reading his bio and at 27 Carrera has bounced the around minors and majors. It would be an amazing story if he sticks and produces to have two castoffs like JD and Carrera playing important roles on a World Series contender.
And add to that rookies and cast offs at SS and 3rd. Half of the positional players were almost out of desperation.

I think someone forgot to tell the Tigers' hitters that the Cy Young winners pitching in this series are pitching for Detroit.

Reading his bio and at 27 Carrera has bounced the around minors and majors. It would be an amazing story if he sticks and produces to have two castoffs like JD and Carrera playing important roles on a World Series Division contender.
Fixed. :kicksrock:

1st and 2nd, nobody out. How 'bout bunting them to 2nd and 3rd and bringing in Miggy after that???

Tigers are still first in the AL in OPS.

JD is a mistake, not a castoff. He's been awesome and a slump was in order. Guy was a top prospect three years ago and the Astris just gave up. He has real power though and is an every day player.

Carerra and Davis are platoon guys in a platoon. Not much you can do about that. Castellanos looking awful, Miggy being hurt, and vmart slumping are more worrisome. Tigers go as those guys go, and there is a lot if concern with the first two.

You can't let the white sux and Yankees take 5 of 7 from you, especially if you get great starting pitching.

Offense comes and goes for this crew. Pounded the LHP on a weak team for 3 days, Got nothing against a mediocre NYY team that has lost five SP to injury (4/5ths of the original rotation +1). Shuked.

On the plus side our rotation has been consistently stellar of late.That should continue. Another divisional title seems inevitable.

I love reading through this thread and seeing how quick the fans flip back and forth from celebrating the team to calling them a bunch of bums. It's baseball.

I love reading through this thread and seeing how quick the fans flip back and forth from celebrating the team to calling them a bunch of bums. It's baseball.
I really try not to over react one way or the other until October nears. Then I make no promises.

I really try not to over react one way or the other until October nears. Then I make no promises.
I'm still steamin' that Ausmus didn't advance the runners yesterday. Move the runners, let Kelly bat with Miggy on deck so they gotta pitch to Kelly.

I'm still steamin' that Ausmus didn't advance the runners yesterday. Move the runners, let Kelly bat with Miggy on deck so they gotta pitch to Kelly.
I have not seen anyone write about that, but that seems to have been the most obvious play. Batting Miggy for JD was about the worst call.

NEW YORK -- Miguel Cabrera was going to bat in the ninth inning. The only questions were when and for whom.

After the game, Detroit Tigers manager Brad Ausmus explained his reasoning for hitting Cabrera for J.D. Martinez rather than Don Kelly on Thursday in a 1-0 loss to the New York Yankees.

Clearly, Cabrera was not going to hit for Ian Kinsler, who led off with a single, or Victor Martinez, who drew a walk. But with the slumping J.D. Martinez due up with two on and nobody out, Ausmus decided it was time to make the move.

"There's a chance that you might end up with just a guy on third when he hits for Kelly," Ausmus said. "I'd rather have two runners on with Miggy hitting than one. So I figured go to our best hitter right now with two runners on as opposed to wait and see what happens."

Ausmus said another major reason was because that was the only point where he could be sure that the Yankees wouldn't intentionally walk Cabrera. If he let J.D. Martinez hit and he grounded out or into a double play, it would open up first for Cabrera. With two on and nobody out, the Yankees had to pitch to him.

The whole team including the manager is in a slump. It's like the SS Minnow springing leaks while the Skipper & Gilligan (Dombrowski & Ausmus) run around trying to fix them before the ship sinks. Meanwhile Mr. Howell (Mr. I) sits there and fumes.

The whole team including the manager is in a slump. It's like the SS Minnow springing leaks while the Skipper & Gilligan (Dombrowski & Ausmus) run around trying to fix them before the ship sinks. Meanwhile Mr. Howell (Mr. I) sits there and fumes.
Ausmus has not reinvented the wheel by any means.

It's a beautiful day. Happy Friday everyone!

Here's a quick look at the next series for the Detroit Tigers:

Opponent: Toronto Blue Jays

Site: Rogers Centre in Toronto

Records: Tigers, 62-50 (1st in AL Central): Blue Jays, 61-55 (tied for 2nd in AL East)

Schedule

Friday: RHP Anibal Sanchez (8-5, 3.37 ERA) vs. RHP R.A. Dickey (9-11, 4.03 ERA), 7:07 p.m., FSD

Saturday: RHP Max Scherzer (13-4, 3.24 ERA) vs. RHP Marcus Stroman (7-3, 3.49 ERA), 1:07 p.m., FSD

Sunday: LHP David Price (11-8, 3.11 ERA) vs. LHP Mark Buehrle (11-8, 3.27 ERA), 1:07 p.m., FSD

Scouting the Blue Jays: The Blue Jays recently won 11 of 13 games to move into serious contention for a wild-card spot, but they have dropped five of six since then. The Blue Jays can hit. They are second in the American League in batting average, home runs and OPS. Outfielder Melky Cabrera is hitting .315 with 59 RBIs but left the game Sunday against the Baltimore Orioles after being hit by a pitch. He is day to day. Edwin Encarnacion has not played since July 5 due to a quad injury, but he is close to returning to the lineup for the Jays. He still leads the Blue Jays in RBIs with 70 despite playing in just 88 of his team's 116 games. Jose Bautista is hitting .297 with 22 home runs and 68 RBIs. The Blue Jays are 11th in the American League in team ERA, so the struggling Tigers offense has a shot to get back on track. The matchup Sunday between left-handers David Price and Mark Buehrle is intriguing, although it is worth noting that Buehrle is 1-7 since June 1.

Users who are viewing this thread