What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (7 Viewers)

I hope whoever wins this series, goes to the fall classic.

I watch and go to quite a few Orioles games, they have good fans and they have suffered through some crappy years.

I do think this is a good match-up for Detroit though, but Baltimore has a certain glow about them this year that successful teams have. In baseball that means something, the best team doesn't always win in this sport. Baltimore's starters are boring and average yet they go deep into games and perform above average.

OK....It is playoff time. The lack-luster season is behind us, and none of that matters. Not worthwhile to ##### about Nathan because we know Ausmus is going to ride that dead horse for at least two blown saves before switch even closes his mind. On the plus side Max, Price and Verlander have looked very good of late. And if they are on, the Tigers are real contenders. There are rumblings of the Angels and O's considering a thrree-man rotation. Seems like a logical options for the Tigers, especially considering Max is probably on his way out. OK, another dead horse that won't be considered. But at least we have Sanchez around, so there can be a quick hook for Porcello should he get into trouble. I am not that worried about defense. It is what it is. The big wild card is the bats. The club gettin hot with the bats can overcome the known weakness in the bullpen,

Gots to get the early lead in these games or the other bullpens will shut us down.

Interesting decision on whether to go Price or JV in game 3. Who needs the home park more?

Also, game 2 is followed by an off day, can use the bullpen more in cases like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, the tigers have won 8 of the last 9 starts by Max. And he's gone into the 7th in most of them.

I really hope we can get past him in game 1. Its easy to see him being under 50 pitches going into the 5th.

So, the tigers have won 8 of the last 9 starts by Max. And he's gone into the 7th in most of them.

I really hope we can get past him in game 1. Its easy to see him being under 50 pitches going into the 5th.
He's been smooth sailing until the third time through the order the last 5 times out. He's ran into problems at that point, but gotten out of it without giving up the death blow. I believe Ausmus has pulled him each time before he went back around a 4th time. The walks will be key in how far he makes it since he's prone to them and Baltimore is in the bottom 5.

Interesting decision on whether to go Price or JV in game 3. Who needs the home park more?

Also, game 2 is followed by an off day, can use the bullpen more in cases like that.
Camden obviously more of a hitters park & our left center can be death valley for power righties so I have no problem Price going game 3 @ home instead of JV. Game 4 is Rick so hopefully the pen will be rested. Game 5 Max would be the proverbial ace in the hole.

GAME INFORMATION

Who: Detroit Tigers (0-1) at Baltimore Orioles (1-0)

When: 12:07 p.m.

Where: Camden Yards in Baltimore

TV: TBS

Radio: 97.1 The Ticket, ESPN Radio

STARTING PITCHERS

Detroit Tigers

RHP Justin Verlander (15-12, 4.54 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Orioles: 9-2, 3.43 ERA

Baltimore Orioles

LHP Wei-Yin Chen (16-6, 3.54 ERA)

Lifetime vs. Tigers: 1-0, 4.91 ERA ERA

STARTING LINEUPS

(Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers

Not available yet.

Baltimore Orioles

1. Nick Markakis, RF (12 for 48)

2. Alejandro De Aza, LF (7 for 31, 2 HR)

3. Adam Jones, CF (6 for 33, 1 HR)

4. Nelson Cruz, DH (5 for 25, 1 HR)

5. Steve Pearce, 1B

6. J.J. Hardy, SS (8 for 34, 3 HR)

7. Ryan Flaherty, 3B (2 for 8)

8. Caleb Joseph, C

9. Jonathan Schoop, 2B (0 for 6)

GAME NOTES

-- The Tigers trail the Orioles, 1-0, in a best-of-five game series. A loss today would force the Tigers to win three straight.

-- The Tigers have yet to release their Game 2 lineup. Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said he is waiting to see how Rajai Davis feels after batting practice.

-- Davis was spotted taking ground balls and throws in center field during batting practice. If he is ruled out, Ezequiel Carrera will get the start in center field today.

-- The Game 2 lineup is expected to remain the same as Game 1 if Davis is good to go. Ausmus said he may consider flipping Nick Castellanos and Alex Avila in the batting order.

-- Orioles designated hitter Nelson Cruz is 10 for 26 with seven home runs and 16 RBIs in seven career playoff games against Detroit dating to the ALCS in 2011.

-- The Orioles lineup will remain the same in Game 2 as Game 1. Orioles manager Buck Showalter announced prior to today's game that Miguel Gonzalez will be the team's starting pitcher in Game 3 and Bud Norris will start Game 4, if needed.

-- Justin Verlander is 7-5 with 3.28 ERA in 15 career playoff appearances. He enters today's start riding a 30-inning scoreless streak in the division series.

-- Miguel Cabrera hit his ninth postseason home run as a member of the Tigers on Thursday, giving him the franchise record for homers hit in the playoffs.

-- Victor Martinez and J.D. Martinez hit back-to-back home runs in the second inning in Game 1. It marked the first time the Tigers have hit back-to-back homers in a postseason game since Oct. 6, 2011

-- The forecast in Baltimore today calls mostly sunny skies with a high near 76 degrees. No rain is expected tonight.

DETROIT TIGERS
Ian Kinsler, 2B
Torii Hunter, RF
Miguel Cabrera, 1B
Victor Martinez, DH
J.D. Martinez, LF
Nick Castellanos, 3B
Alex Avila, C
Andrew Romine, SS
Rajai Davis, CF

Flipped Avila and Castellanos, otherwise no changes from Game 1.

Carerra is supposed to be a good fielder, he hasn't been lately.

If they are going anywhere in these playoffs, Anibal looks to be key.

Ausmus said a couple days ago Sanchez would only go for an inning or two. I haven't seen any evidence our manager is flexible in his thinking once he takes a position, but he needs to let him go all the way through the lineup before thinking about making a move (presuming he continues to look sharp).

Ausmus said a couple days ago Sanchez would only go for an inning or two. I haven't seen any evidence our manager is flexible in his thinking once he takes a position, but he needs to let him go all the way through the lineup before thinking about making a move (presuming he continues to look sharp).

Welp, said it when we clinched, but for those who missed it...enjoyed hanging in this thread for the last six months. Michiganders are the best.

See you boys in mid-February.

:drink:

It's just not that enjoyable being a fan of this team.

Warmest regards,

G.
And yet still more enjoyable than being a Lions fan.....I think.
Maybe I'm weird, but I like rooting for the Lions. I never get my hopes up too high.

The Tigers have established a level of success where winning the division is ho-hum. Anything short of making it through the crapshoot that is the MLB postseason is a bit disappointing.

Yeah, being Central Champs really means very little to me after with the Tigers getting it for the fourth time in a row. This team needs to win a World Series but the bullpen is just awful and a lot of the big players just don't have the October Gene in them.

JD Martinez seems like the only guy who has it.

Yeah, being Central Champs really means very little to me after with the Tigers getting it for the fourth time in a row. This team needs to win a World Series but the bullpen is just awful and a lot of the big players just don't have the October Gene in them.

JD Martinez seems like the only guy who has it.
Anibal does, JV is moderately good and, VMart, I believe, has it too. I doubt if we bridged to Nathan the outcome would have been any better. Tired of the poor managerial moves in October selling the series before it's actually over.

Series isn't over yet, they'll probably win Sunday and them hopefully good Porcello shows up.

I know people are pissed but this playoff run will eventually end, and you'll be thinking about how great it was to have them playing in October.

Silver lining: Danny Knobler blocked me on Twitter
That's awesome. I always say, "hey>Knob" when commenting on his dumb articles. He is right about the overreaction today though.
I think it was a poor comparison when we haven't won WS in 30 years vs. Yanks who won several in a short span

2006 was a happy to be there type of year...2014 is the window slamming shut on opportunity

That's awesome. I always say, "hey>Knob" when commenting on his dumb articles. He is right about the overreaction today though.
I think it was a poor comparison when we haven't won WS in 30 years vs. Yanks who won several in a short span

2006 was a happy to be there type of year...2014 is the window slamming shut on opportunity
Well Knobler was wrong to compare us to Yankee fans as far as the expectations element. He should have compared us to New York fans for the negativity. In general Detroit sports fans are a pessimistic kind but the sports radio in Detroit is so bad, it has created a culture of waiting for bad #### to happen. I think a lot of fans were actually happy with the outcome today, just so they can be miserable. I think the Red Wings have somehow escaped this negativity, even in poor years and early playoff departures, making them the most fun team to follow in Detroit.

Bottom line is if people can't appreciate a home game in Detroit in October, then they are the problem. Being angry with the results is fine, we're all angry. But the whole gloom and doom of the franchise shtick is pretty terrible, they are easily one of the top five teams in the game and will be for the next few years. I can live with today more than I can live with 15 years of 70 win seasons. :shrug:

Well Knobler was wrong to compare us to Yankee fans as far as the expectations element. He should have compared us to New York fans for the negativity. In general Detroit sports fans are a pessimistic kind but the sports radio in Detroit is so bad, it has created a culture of waiting for bad #### to happen. I think a lot of fans were actually happy with the outcome today, just so they can be miserable. I think the Red Wings have somehow escaped this negativity, even in poor years and early playoff departures, making them the most fun team to follow in Detroit.

Bottom line is if people can't appreciate a home game in Detroit in October, then they are the problem. Being angry with the results is fine, we're all angry. But the whole gloom and doom of the franchise shtick is pretty terrible, they are easily one of the top five teams in the game and will be for the next few years. I can live with today more than I can live with 15 years of 70 win seasons. :shrug:
Sure it's jaded but I'm tired of the waiting for next year schtick. This team looks like they did against Texas or Boston. Bubble has been burst, time to go home. Ausmus will #### it up anyway. Only chance is for Price to go 9, skip Porcello, go to Max and have him go 9 and then split JV/Sanchez and throw pitch count out the window. Seriously, who is going to throw after the starter? I can't think of a single member in the pen I want them to go to, I can't think the coaching staff won't feel the same after the last two days and if they do they've already lost.

Lots of blame to go around but most of it you could see coming anyways. No bullpen, no depth, no defense, no coaching. 5-6 hitters + 3-4 pitchers does not = 25.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/10/brad_ausmus_3.html

Sorry to keep banging the drum but this ####er does realize its the playoffs right?

Edit to add: Ok you had a number in your head... what does it hurt, what does it really, really hurt to have him start off the inning. If he comes off lighting up the lineup, gives a hit or a walk then pull him. The man outcoached himself. Everyone knew it. Tigers fans, Orioles fans, announcers, media, everyone except Ausmus.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/10/brad_ausmus_3.html

Sorry to keep banging the drum but this ####er does realize its the playoffs right?

Edit to add: Ok you had a number in your head... what does it hurt, what does it really, really hurt to have him start off the inning. If he comes off lighting up the lineup, gives a hit or a walk then pull him. The man outcoached himself. Everyone knew it. Tigers fans, Orioles fans, announcers, media, everyone except Ausmus.
It's pretty bad when the other team's fans have a better feel for the situation than your manager, referring to the cheers @ the pitching change.

Like Bobby said earlier, it's hard to understand why Anibal wasn't stretched out a bit the last week of the season. Me, igbomb, and jon mx were wondering during those games why Sanchez wasn't being used, especially when we were getting blown out by the Twins. Hard to know but if the organization had his pitch count at 35 and he was at 30, that's five more pitches according to my math. Sanchez is known for quick innings and he might have at the very least been able to get one out.

I don't think there is any question he pitches the 7th and 8th if that's what the team needs him to do going forward, but then we still have Nathan in the 9th. Hard to see them winning anything with this bullpen which is truly terrible. Soria being so terrible is just shocking though, and now his $7 million option is very much in question.

Avila was second in defensive effciency (WAR) this year and three pitches after he left today the Orioles had two runs.

He seems to be the guy who takes the most abuse from fans, and yet I think they win today if he hadn't have gone out. Bryan Holaday is truly awful and should never play in the majors again.

Said it once and I'll be crying for it all offseason. Sign Nelson Cruz and Andrew Miller.

After that I think retain VMart, let Torri and Rajai go. Go find a legit CF and another reliever. I think they should keep Joba, Soria, Jim Johnson and give Hanrahan another shot despite this postseason. I know that sounds crazy but I think at this point it's time to throw #### at the wall and see what sticks. If they do target Miller, I'll be looking forward to never seeing Phil Coke again.

Users who are viewing this thread