What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (5 Viewers)

No idea why Dirks was not tendered.

Are they thinking Moya is ready?
theyre probably thinking his back is toast
Yeah, I thought that as well. As much as I like to question things, rarely since DD has taken over has he let a guy get away. Avisail Garcia is the obvious exception for me, I really hate that trade right now. Jurrjens ended up being terrible, some of the other guys like Badenhop and Miller took years to develop.

Regardless, now we really have to go out and get some outfield help. Colby Rasmus looks a lot better than he did yesterday IMO.

Doctor Detroit said:
MAC_32 said:
Doctor Detroit said:
No idea why Dirks was not tendered.

Are they thinking Moya is ready?
theyre probably thinking his back is toast
Yeah, I thought that as well. As much as I like to question things, rarely since DD has taken over has he let a guy get away. Avisail Garcia is the obvious exception for me, I really hate that trade right now. Jurrjens ended up being terrible, some of the other guys like Badenhop and Miller took years to develop.

Regardless, now we really have to go out and get some outfield help. Colby Rasmus looks a lot better than he did yesterday IMO.
I think that trade will be fine if Iglesias is healthy from here on out. I know that's a big if. But if healthy, he's an elite defensive SS. That's a pretty darn valuable commodity.

Did I miss where Garcia became a stud last year? I realize he was hurt but he hit .220 in August and .250 in September. Rajai Davis was a better corner OF then him last year and I am of the belief that you take a chance on getting a stud defensive SS over a stud offensive corner OF. You can find replacement caliber LF/RF on trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss where Garcia became a stud last year? I realize he was hurt but he hit .220 in August and .250 in September. Rajai Davis was a better corner OF then him last year and I am of the belief that you take a chance on getting a stud defensive SS over a stud offensive corner OF. You can find replacement caliber LF/RF on trees.
watch him bat and you'll see there is a horse on the horizon. Still think that trade was a good gamble, although a bit less so now that we've learned Iglesias' problem was not a new one.

watch him bat and you'll see there is a horse on the horizon. Still think that trade was a good gamble, although a bit less so now that we've learned Iglesias' problem was not a new one.
At the time they had to get rid of him because he was banging Fielders wife and the Tigers had 6 more years of Fielders contract. If they knew they could dump Fielder I am sure they would have kept him.

I think a lot of contracts to guys trying to prove themselves for longer contracts is the right approach. Rasmus, Romo, Soriano, Bret Anderson, Volquez, Burnett, etc.

MLBTR only has Tigers landing one of the top 50 free agents, and that's Andrew Miller. I find it hard to believe they won't bring in a LaRoche or Morse if VMART leaves. I hope Torii Hunter finds another home though.

I am reserving the right to become a Tigers fan if I don't like what the Yanks do in the offseason.

Is there some sort of initiation process?

I think a lot of contracts to guys trying to prove themselves for longer contracts is the right approach. Rasmus, Romo, Soriano, Bret Anderson, Volquez, Burnett, etc.
maybe it's because I stopped owning him, so he stopped driving me crazy, but Rasmus is interesting. Romo and Soriano too. The others make me feel vomity, but I like that approach; forgotten about players for pennies just to see.

MAC_32 said:
Doctor Detroit said:
maybe it's because I stopped owning him, so he stopped driving me crazy, but Rasmus is interesting. Romo and Soriano too. The others make me feel vomity, but I like that approach; forgotten about players for pennies just to see.
Rasmus has over 3000 MLB PAs with a .650 OPS vs LHP. I don't think he's ever going to figure out lefties (either that or lefties have figured him out)

Raider Nation said:
I am reserving the right to become a Tigers fan if I don't like what the Yanks do in the offseason.

Is there some sort of initiation process?
Don't listen to Detroit sports talk radio and you're in!

Doctor Detroit said:

MLBTR only has Tigers landing one of the top 50 free agents, and that's Andrew Miller. I find it hard to believe they won't bring in a LaRoche or Morse if VMART leaves. I hope Torii Hunter finds another home though.
I know he was not good last season but he missed most of the year with the contract issue...Could Kendry Morales be a poor mans/teams Victor??

Doctor Detroit said:

I know he was not good last season but he missed most of the year with the contract issue...Could Kendry Morales be a poor mans/teams Victor??
Rather have Adam LaRoche

At the time they had to get rid of him because he was banging Fielders wife and the Tigers had 6 more years of Fielders contract. If they knew they could dump Fielder I am sure they would have kept him.
Wow, really? Where do you guys find info like that, lol. Isn't she a bigger lady? Can't believe professional athletes let trolls like that around.

Rather have Adam LaRoche
While we're on outcomes we don't really expect but could happen: I'd like to see Brett Anderson get a chance at the #5 spot. If he is fully healthy I think he could potentially fill the Scherzerer void with less drop off than trying some of the prospects. Luke Hochevar is another pen option but I've read he is expected to have a hot market. I like Cuddyer, Lind and Morales if VMart leaves. Never been a fan of Laroche unless the plan becomes to play him at first and DH Miggy (which the time is striking pretty close to midnight for).Edit to add: Tram's back as special assistant to the GM!

What's the deal with Avila? I thought they had a team option on him for 2015 but haven't exercised it yet. Is there a deadline for them to do so. Strange that they already made that decision on Soria but not Avila. Is that a sign they may part ways?

What's the deal with Avila? I thought they had a team option on him for 2015 but haven't exercised it yet. Is there a deadline for them to do so. Strange that they already made that decision on Soria but not Avila. Is that a sign they may part ways?
Maybe they want one more CAT scan so they don't get stuck with broken merchandise like they have a couple times recently.

skillz said:
They have until November 20th to exercise the club option.

Local radio here in Grand Rapids seems to believe they won't exercise the option on Avila and they might have plans to go after Russell Martin. It's local radio so take it for what it's worth, but it seems like they're at least doing their due diligence.

Local radio here in Grand Rapids seems to believe they won't exercise the option on Avila and they might have plans to go after Russell Martin. It's local radio so take it for what it's worth, but it seems like they're at least doing their due diligence.
It is only a matter of time before Avilia has to miss significant amounts of time. The nature of the position leads to getting hit in the head and face countless times during a season. For some reason it seems like AA gets hit more than most. Russell Martin would be a good addition to any team but this will probably be his last shot at a good contract so he won`t come cheap.

GR local radio is crap. I would take that as more wishful thinking on their part than anything rooted in fact.

On Avila, I reckon they are waiting to get as much medical info as they can on him. Assuming he can play, I'd be surprised if they didn't pick up his option.

He is allegedly one of the best defensive catchers in the league. And as crappy a hitter as he is, for a catcher he's not horrible. Which shows you how crappy catchers are right now.

Since I'm old and it's not my money, I hope they spend as much money as possible on as many free agents as possible.

With a few notable exceptions, just don't give me last years team all over again.

On Avila, I reckon they are waiting to get as much medical info as they can on him. Assuming he can play, I'd be surprised if they didn't pick up his option.

He is allegedly one of the best defensive catchers in the league. And as crappy a hitter as he is, for a catcher he's not horrible. Which shows you how crappy catchers are right now.
Regular stats, advanced stats and Gold Glove nominations all say it's more than allegedly. He's a top ten catcher for sure, probably borderline top five.

Regular stats, advanced stats and Gold Glove nominations all say it's more than allegedly. He's a top ten catcher for sure, probably borderline top five.
I hear you. I wasn't suggesting he's not - I just find defensive advanced stats to be ... slightly suspect. Especially for a catcher. There's so much that goes into it - calling a game, framing pitches, throwing out runners, blocking the plate, blocking pitches, etc.

Anyway - we agree that the guys who do this - both traditional and saber - all think Avila is an excellent defensive catcher.

On another note, I think the Tigers will make a big splash in the trade market. It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade Price for parts - i.e., CF - and then sign a little cheaper SP. Maybe a Brandon McCarthy. And then hope JV is good again.

I think JV will be good again, and I think he'll continue to have a Hall of Fame like career.

Avila needs to be retained at that price unless he's contemplating retirement. That's really the bottom line.

Not sure they'll make a trade but they'll be getting a 1st or second rounder for Scherzer, which is nice. Also one for VMART if he leaves although I still suspect he returns.

Was reading about Jake Thompson and Knebal today. BP thinks Knebal could actually close for the Rangers this year, or at the very least, hold an important bullpen role for the Rangers. Soria better be great in 2015.

Da Guru said:
Doctor Detroit said:
I think JV will be good again, and I think he'll continue to have a Hall of Fame like career.

Avila needs to be retained at that price unless he's contemplating retirement. That's really the bottom line.

Not sure they'll make a trade but they'll be getting a 1st or second rounder for Scherzer, which is nice. Also one for VMART if he leaves although I still suspect he returns.

Was reading about Jake Thompson and Knebal today. BP thinks Knebal could actually close for the Rangers this year, or at the very least, hold an important bullpen role for the Rangers. Soria better be great in 2015.
Given how Soria was used we really did not need him. Would have rather rolled the dice on Knebal. Team him up with a healthy Rondon and who knows? After watching KC during the playoffs I hate to give up young power arms.

Looking at Soria numbers and he had 28Ks in 23 innings with the Rangers, and only 6Ks in 11 innings with the Tigers. Hopefully he rebounds next season.

Reed and Kelly gone. I know Kelly has some fans around here so I'll only say I would much rather have a more athletic utility man.

Kelly will be back in the organization, don't fret.
Kelly will be standing on the third base line listening to the National Anthem on Day 1.

Open up a roster spot now then bring Kelly back to spring training as a non roster FA. Ausmus will say "Kelly has had a good spring and we can use his versatility"

Honestly though, Thanks to Leyland and the Tigers Kelly has made a dam good living (4.5 million in 8 seasons) for a guy who could been out of the league years ago, or never even made the show.

I want Avila back too for the cost of his team option if he checks out medically. That only commits the team to him for one more year. If he has more medical issues in 2015 then you can let him walk with no obligation to him. The bottom line is he is a good defensive catcher and is the 8th hitter in the lineup. I would rather spend the money people are wanting to spend on the likes of Russell Martin on other positions of need on the roster. Plus, McCann will likely be ready to be the full-time catcher in 2016 and beyond under a cheap, club controlled contract as well.

MLBTR only has Tigers landing one of the top 50 free agents, and that's Andrew Miller.
It would be a big one though filling a huge hole, and it would not even cost them any draft picks.
I still have a curiosity about him being a starter. He was so good as a reliever last year I doubt any team would do it but his pedigree suggests he could do it at a high level. After all the player he was compared to most was Randy Johnson and he was also a late bloomer.

Users who are viewing this thread