What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (9 Viewers)

Mariners, A's, maybe the Mets and Giants

You don't think he's a #2 do you jon? His XFIP last year was the worst it's been in five years and he's 31. I like him, he's a solid middle of the rotation guy, but a lot of you guys are making him out to be Tom Seaver. I'll love the day when people let it go, but it seems like we are looking at the second coming of the Jair Jurrjens saga.

Mariners, A's, maybe the Mets and Giants

You don't think he's a #2 do you jon? His XFIP last year was the worst it's been in five years and he's 31. I like him, he's a solid middle of the rotation guy, but a lot of you guys are making him out to be Tom Seaver. I'll love the day when people let it go, but it seems like we are looking at the second coming of the Jair Jurrjens saga.
DONT GET ME STARTED ON JAIR

DETROIT -

The Detroit Tigers have acquired Yankee starting pitcher Shane Greene in a three-way trade involving New York and the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to Ken Rosenthal.

In the deal, the Tigers sent 23-year-old starting pitcher Robbie Ray to the Diamondbacks. Ray was 1-4 with an 8.16 ERA in limited action for the Tigers after being acquired from Washington for Doug Fister. Reports say the Tigers will also send another minor league player to the Diamondbacks in the deal.

The Diamondbacks sent shortstop Didi Gregorius to the Yankees in the deal, according to reports.
So the Fister trade really did suck.
Not sure how you got that out of this trade. We just got a #4 starter (what Fister is) who is controllable through 2018 for Ray and a mifer who was deep on the franchise depth chart.So now the Tigers have Green and Krol for Fister and Lebya. The loss of Fister made no difference to the team last year (1.3 WAR), and he is a free agent after this season. So we now have 9 years of two controllable pitchers over one year if Fister. Plus Ray had value to the Diamondbacks.

As I said before, judging trades at the time they were made is fruitless because so many things can happen later. I thought we would have had to give up more to get Green than that.
Doug Fister is not a #4 starter.
On the Tigers he was,

1. Max

2. Verlander

3. Sanchez

4. Fister

5. Porcello
He is on the Nats also.
Come on. You're better than this. You cited WAR to denigrate his season last year.

Using WAR, over the last four years, which includes last year's underwhelming effort, Fister is the #15 pitcher in all of baseball.

Is he a #1? Not a good team. But he is definitely a 2/3 type.

DETROIT -

The Detroit Tigers have acquired Yankee starting pitcher Shane Greene in a three-way trade involving New York and the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to Ken Rosenthal.

In the deal, the Tigers sent 23-year-old starting pitcher Robbie Ray to the Diamondbacks. Ray was 1-4 with an 8.16 ERA in limited action for the Tigers after being acquired from Washington for Doug Fister. Reports say the Tigers will also send another minor league player to the Diamondbacks in the deal.

The Diamondbacks sent shortstop Didi Gregorius to the Yankees in the deal, according to reports.
So the Fister trade really did suck.
Not sure how you got that out of this trade. We just got a #4 starter (what Fister is) who is controllable through 2018 for Ray and a mifer who was deep on the franchise depth chart.So now the Tigers have Green and Krol for Fister and Lebya. The loss of Fister made no difference to the team last year (1.3 WAR), and he is a free agent after this season. So we now have 9 years of two controllable pitchers over one year if Fister. Plus Ray had value to the Diamondbacks.

As I said before, judging trades at the time they were made is fruitless because so many things can happen later. I thought we would have had to give up more to get Green than that.
Doug Fister is not a #4 starter.
On the Tigers he was,1. Max

2. Verlander

3. Sanchez

4. Fister

5. Porcello
He is on the Nats also.
Come on. You're better than this. You cited WAR to denigrate his season last year.

Using WAR, over the last four years, which includes last year's underwhelming effort, Fister is the #15 pitcher in all of baseball.

Is he a #1? Not a good team. But he is definitely a 2/3 type.
He's a three on most teams, probably a 2 in Minnesota. :mellow:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised if Max returns. This franchise always surprises me from the Miggy trade, to the Willis extension, the Granderson trade, to the Fielder and then Kinsler trades and the Fister trade. Never know what they are going to do.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised if Max returns. This franchise always surprises me from the Miggy trade, to the Willis extension, the Granderson trade, to the Fielder and then Kinsler trades and the Fister trade. Never know what they are going to do.
David Price trade

I agree with the rationale around here that its not my money but I can't help but get the urge as a fan they tell Boras to go screw if he's asking over 200 mil. Doing that kind of stuff used to dry up the markets until the player would have to do a 1 yr deal like the Juan Gons of the world but lately teams have been caving to long term deals for players they want in the short term. We did so with Fielder and that is on the books and probably affecting the construct of the team some this offseason.

Max will get 6/175 max IMO. But he isn't taking less than 6 years, nor should he.
Well right now teams are not seemingly that interested to pay that with the market flush with 3's and 4's and Max's small body of success as high as it was. We'll see what happens though. I'd much rather them attempt to get Price signed long term.

Since I've been going around the internet spouting off about Cespedes not being what he is cracked up to be, can't say I'm overly excited. I'm not a huge Porcello fan though and it puts another big bat behind Miggy which I support. Wonder what the other deal they are cooking up is. Need a #4/5 starter now.

Tigers also getting a minor league pitcher back for porky. Mlbtr saying another deal will follow also.
Just heard it's a straight up deal couple other players going with Yoenis. Im also hearing a Cinci SP might be in the works for Detroit, possible flip :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I've been going around the internet spouting off about Cespedes not being what he is cracked up to be, can't say I'm overly excited. I'm not a huge Porcello fan though and it puts another big bat behind Miggy which I support. Wonder what the other deal they are cooking up is. Need a #4/5 starter now.
Big bat like literally one of those inflatable novelty bats?

Cespedes says he can play CF. Don`t see why not since he has good speed and a great arm. Don`t mind this deal since the Tigers were never going to pay Porcello anyway.

Cespedes says he can play CF. Don`t see why not since he has good speed and a great arm. Don`t mind this deal since the Tigers were never going to pay Porcello anyway.
But Cespedes is a FA after this year as well. So it really is all about which one makes them better in 2015. Not a fan myself. I really like Porcello (under-rated) and hate to watch low-OBP swingers like Cespedes (over-rated).

Hope like hell I'm wrong but I'm not digging this.

Don't know much about him myself. Looks like he only makes about $1.5 million and has been a reliever in the past. Maybe he's meant to bolster the bullpen and they're still in on Max or another starter?

Edit: Appears he's also the subject of a civil lawsuit over an alleged rape and has in the past been acquitted of involuntary manslaughter charges. For whatever all that is worth.

Simon has been pretty good the last 1.5 seasons and has pitched in hitters parks his whole career. Was Orioles closer in 2010 for awhile.

Alfredo Simon, per Rosenthal.

Ken RosenthalVerified account ‏@Ken_Rosenthal Source: #Tigers getting Alfredo Simon.
Anyone know much about him? Looks to be about a league average starter.
Big Dominican. Flexible arm that can start or relieve.

He was good in a full-time starter role but there was some luck involved. His FIP was nearly a full point higher than his ERA. In 20 years, he'll be the one guy nobody guesses when a picture of the 2014 NL All-Stars gets posted somewhere.

Don't know much about him myself. Looks like he only makes about $1.5 million and has been a reliever in the past. Maybe he's meant to bolster the bullpen and they're still in on Max or another starter?

Edit: Appears he's also the subject of a civil lawsuit over an alleged rape and has in the past been acquitted of involuntary manslaughter charges. For whatever all that is worth.
He'll get a big raise in arbitration but even $5M isn't bad for a SP in this market.

I like the Cespedes deal, Simon deal is meh as Dan said. If they bring Max back this is a net gain day though.

I like the Cespedes deal, Simon deal is meh as Dan said. If they bring Max back this is a net gain day though.
Big Pasta had decent numbers last year and seems to be a serviceable 5th starter. Did not really want to lose Suarez though. Thought he did well be being brought up at 21.

I think the involuntary manslaughter thing came from an incident in which he shot a gun in the air repeatedly (in celebration?) a couple of offseasons ago. I remember not adding him last year because he looked like a regression candidate. Stopped paying attention to him once he was universally owned though.

Knee jerk reaction, I like the Greene trade a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread