Doctor Detroit

***Detroit Tigers thread: It's late May so sell, sell, sell!!!!***

7,893 posts in this topic

Dirks gone 12 weeks and Davis is not an every day player. ugh

Lombadozzi will be the guy I suppose, but that kills depth if he's out past May.

Donny Kelly?

Dirks gone 12 weeks and Davis is not an every day player. ugh

Lombadozzi will be the guy I suppose, but that kills depth if he's out past May.

Shoot me

Iggy may not be ready for opening day with shin splints. This is a little concerning since this bothered him late last season as well.

The groundskeepers are going to have their work cut out for them at Comerica Park. Walked by the stadium this morning. 5 degrees, looks to be a couple of feet of snow covering the playing surface. Read that the whole field has to be sodded before opening day. Then it said the new sod needs 2 weeks to set up. The clock is running.

I know there are several reasons against it, but I still feel like all opening days should take place on the west coast or in domes. An extra week increases the odds of tolerable weather in cold weather spots.

Iggy may not be ready for opening day with shin splints. This is a little concerning since this bothered him late last season as well.

What's more concerning is the Tigers don't expect to roster a true backup SS, so Suarez or Perez could start the season at SS but I'm not sure either would normally stick after. This may mean some roster adjusting.

Don Kelly, Avilia, AJAX, Miggy and Castellanos are all having good springs thus far. Drew Smyly not so much.

What's more concerning is the Tigers don't expect to roster a true backup SS, so Suarez or Perez could start the season at SS but I'm not sure either would normally stick after. This may mean some roster adjusting.

Don Kelly, Avilia, AJAX, Miggy and Castellanos are all having good springs thus far. Drew Smyly not so much.

Lombo at SS? Kelly platoon in left?

I think Lombardozzi would be the backup SS if they don't carry another one, but I'm not sure he'd play there unless it was an emergency.

Shoot me

I know there are several reasons against it, but I still feel like all opening days should take place on the west coast or in domes. An extra week increases the odds of tolerable weather in cold weather spots.

I could not agree more. Between domes & warm weather locations it could be done, but instead they want the fans to freeze and players to go from 80 degrees to 40 degrees in one game.

I could not agree more. Between domes & warm weather locations it could be done, but instead they want the fans to freeze and players to go from 80 degrees to 40 degrees in one game.

:goodposting: s

The White Sox open at home on the 31st, and while the field is probably snow-free now, they're still expecting another inch of snow this weekend. Chicago still has a 9% chance of up to 10 inches of snow yet this winter, per weatherman Tom Skillings.

Edited by tri-man 47

Shoot me

Well they better come up with something now that Iglesias may be out for most of the season.

Edited by skillz

You forgot the part where Smyly pitches as well or better out the #4 spot as Fister would have, which is probably the most important development for 2014.

My concern with Smyly is he's never logged a lot of innings. When they had him in the rotation in 2012 he got blisters and was sidelined during that season. I just wonder whether he's built to pitch a ton of innings as a starter. I guess we will find out.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/05/detroit_tigers_drew_smyly_blis.html

Edited by skillz

PFC Santiago?

I say no to Stephen Drew before June 7th. Suarez is a good fielding shortstop, he can fill in until then or until they have a better idea of how much time Iglesias will miss. If he'll be back in August, I say you cobble together the position with Perez, Suarez, Worth, etc. Giving up yet another first rounder is just not a good idea, farm system can't withstand losing another first round talent IMO.

Making a trade for a serviceable guy would be ok also, I'm guessing Dombrowski is making calls around looking for possible guys who might be cut. Cliff Pennington, Joaqin Arias, Caesar Izturis, Maicer Izturis, Nick Punto, etc would cost a lot less than Drew in both salary and compensation. I think signing Drew before June 7th is the wrong move, unless we are going to trade Kinsler and have Drew play 2B when Iglesias comes back. Or move Kinsler to 3B. Still, seems like waiting for Drew regardless is the best move.

No sense in getting in a panic over a #9 hitter no matter how slick he is with the glove. Just use the best defensive guy we have and hope Iggy can be back after the break.

Four standing room only tickets purchased for opening day. That was 'best available' about five minutes after the virtual doors opened.

I got in about 10:02 and was able to get 4 in 345 AKA the worst seats in the park

:banned:

Oh and no more injuries please

I think the Indians are a contender again, but if they are not Asdrubal may be an option come July.

So, Iglesias is a mess, now Davis and Sanchez were scratched today.

Davis with a tight hamstring and Sanchez with a sore shoulder. Neither are expected to be serious injuries, but man this season can't get started soon enough.

So Iggy has stress fractures in both shins, never heard of that happening before. That has to be at least 5-6 weeks to heal properly. I remember last season when he would hit a bag running and almost buckle in pain. Seems odd they did not diagnose that earlier.

LH longshot for left field?:

7 extra base hits in 32 at bat.. :wub:

Edited by jon_mx
1 person likes this

So Iggy has stress fractures in both shins, never heard of that happening before. That has to be at least 5-6 weeks to heal properly. I remember last season when he would hit a bag running and almost buckle in pain. Seems odd they did not diagnose that earlier.

It's a hazy timeline, especially because he had it before. Easy injury to happen over and over again. I bet we will see him in August, see how it goes, then scratch the plan if he doesn't hold up, or work him in 4-5 days per week plus late game defensive sub if it does. Treat him as a luxury though, no way of knowing if and when it will resurface.

Hindisight is 20/20 but I just hope Avisail Garcia doesn't blow up this year. That would be tough to take with Iglesias being out for significant time and it being unclear if this injury is going to linger throughout his career. Plus, we could have really used Garcia in left field.

Ugh - Iglesias out for the season. Bad loss.

How did they not see this last year when he had the same issues? Complete fail by the medical staff.

Steven Drew..where are you??

How did they not see this last year when he had the same issues? Complete fail by the medical staff.

Remember last year every time he ran out a ball and first base he would be in agony?

Steven Drew..where are you??

#### that :no:

These clowns in 3rd place yet?

Seems inevitable.

Seems inevitable.

I'd say it costs them 15-20 games this year. Can you say WIDE OPEN DIVISION?

Seems inevitable.

It's the only logical conclusion.

Darwin Barney & Didi Gregorius are names.

Barney is a name at least. Darwin is a theory, Gregorius is a gladiator and DeeDee is a Ramone

1 person likes this

Remember last year every time he ran out a ball and first base he would be in agony?

It supposedly tough to distinguish between shin splints and stress fractures.

Rondon is going to have TJ surgery? Seriously?

Rondon is going to have TJ surgery? Seriously?

The bullpen looked kind of shaky before.