What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Detroit Tigers thread: 1st pick yet again, this is not fun*** (5 Viewers)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Let's start a new one, since the team of 2014 is kinda new too!

Offseason moves:

In: Ian Kinsler, Joe Nathan, Joba Chamberlain, Rajei Davis, Krol the Conqueror
Out: Fat ###, Fister, Benoit, Ramon, Infante, Veras

Projected lineup:

2B- Kinsler
RF- Hunter
1B - Miggy
DH - VMart
3B - Castellanos
C - Avila
CF - AJAX
LF - Dirks/Davis
SS - Iglesias

SP1 - JV
SP2 - Mad Max
SP3 - Dirty Sanchez
SP4 - Porcello
Sp5 - Smyly

Bullpen: Nathan, Rondon, Chamberlain, Krol, Coke, Alvarez, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Offseason moves:

Projected lineup:

2B- Kinsler

RF- Hunter

1B - Miggy

DH - VMart

3B - Castellanos

C - Avila

CF - AJAX

LF - Dirks/Davis

SS - Iglesias

SP1 - JV

SP2 - Mad Max

SP3 - Dirty Sanchez

SP4 - Porcello

Sp5 - Smyly

:popcorn:
Castellanos/Avila will be offensive keys before the back end of the order comes up.

:sehorn:

My favorite part of that lineup might be AJax down at 8. He responded well there in the postseason and it should give some nice punch to the back third of the order.

I think Morris and Trammell will both eventually get in via the Veterans Committee. How Blyleven and Larkin are in and those two aren't, is ridiculous. Maybe even more ridiculous is Lou Whitaker not even getting on a second ballot, his numbers compare well with a few HOF 2Bman. I think Trammell has the best case though, that 1987 MVP getting robbed hurt him IMO but all the gold gloves and silver sluggers to go with his career numbers should be enough.

Doctor Detroit said:
I think Morris and Trammell will both eventually get in via the Veterans Committee. How Blyleven and Larkin are in and those two aren't, is ridiculous. Maybe even more ridiculous is Lou Whitaker not even getting on a second ballot, his numbers compare well with a few HOF 2Bman. I think Trammell has the best case though, that 1987 MVP getting robbed hurt him IMO but all the gold gloves and silver sluggers to go with his career numbers should be enough.
Whitaker is #6 all-time WAR for second basemen, rated above more than a dozen HOF at 2B. Trammel and Whitaker should go in together as by far the best and most prolific double-play duo of all-time. No other pair comes close to their average of 113 double plays per year and yet alone to their 1200+ over their career together.

Justin Verlander underwent successful "core muscle surgery" today and is expected to be ready for Spring Training.

WTF did this come from? :oldunsure:

Big fan of Nathan. I didn't mind seeing him in Texas but Detroit is going to be tough to stomach.

You got a good one.

Looking forward to seeing the new look Tigers without the basepaths all clogged up by Shamu. Does Nicky the Greek had good wheels?

Looking forward to seeing the new look Tigers without the basepaths all clogged up by Shamu. Does Nicky the Greek had good wheels?
Yeah, he'll probably steal a few bases also once he gets baserunning down. He's probably got slightly above average speed.

Are we sure Nick is Greek? That was my original guess too, but someone told me he's Hispanic (Greek name would end with an ous).

wiki: Castellanos was raised by his parents, Michelle and Jorge, in South Florida. His mother's family is based in Michigan. He and his fiancee Vanessa Hernandez had a son in August 2013.

Are we sure Nick is Greek? That was my original guess too, but someone told me he's Hispanic (Greek name would end with an ous).

wiki: Castellanos was raised by his parents, Michelle and Jorge, in South Florida. His mother's family is based in Michigan. He and his fiancee Vanessa Hernandez had a son in August 2013.
Pretty sure Castellanos is Hispanic. Let's call him Greek for now though, close enough.

Pretty sure Castellanos is Hispanic. Let's call him Greek for now though, close enough.
Nick is a greek name, has to be greek, latins dont name their kids nick

Nick is a greek name, has to be greek, latins dont name their kids nick.
A buddy of mine saw him at The New Parthenon last year. A Nick in Greektown? Has to be greek.

Max gets 15.5 to avoid arbitration. Remember the good ole days... When 15.5 would be for a 5 year deal and be dam good money?

AJAX, Dirks, Porcello and Al Al also agree to one year deals.

I like that the Tigers agree with players instead of going to arbitration, other teams fight for every nickel which seems exhausting for both sides.

AJAX, Dirks, Porcello and Al Al also agree to one year deals.

I like that the Tigers agree with players instead of going to arbitration, other teams fight for every nickel which seems exhausting for both sides.
Agreed. It's better for everyone to agree pre-arbitration. Nothing like going into a room and hearing your boss talk about how you are only worth this much money to them.

Texas has gone 14 years now without going to arbitration with any player. JD publicly has stated that's something he is proud of.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Nelson Cruz rumors have any weight?
If he batted left maybe but they already signed the speedier Davis to platoon with Dirks. Cruz would return some power to the lineup but i'm not sure that's the direction they are looking to go. Also they let the very popular Jhonny go and Cruz is yet another juicer.

I saw some pitchers on line of JV with Kate Upton at some superbowl parties in NY. I wonder if Kate will being showing up for the games, HOT HOT

Offseason moves:

Projected lineup:

2B- Kinsler

RF- Hunter

1B - Miggy

DH - VMart

3B - Castellanos

C - Avila

CF - AJAX

LF - Dirks/Davis

SS - Iglesias

SP1 - JV

SP2 - Mad Max

SP3 - Dirty Sanchez

SP4 - Porcello

Sp5 - Smyly

So is the roster set? This is it?

Offseason moves:

Projected lineup:

2B- Kinsler

RF- Hunter

1B - Miggy

DH - VMart

3B - Castellanos

C - Avila

CF - AJAX

LF - Dirks/Davis

SS - Iglesias

SP1 - JV

SP2 - Mad Max

SP3 - Dirty Sanchez

SP4 - Porcello

Sp5 - Smyly

I wouldn't call it set this early but I think there are at most 1 or 2 changes based on last minute trades/FAs/promotions due to spring training goodness.

Offseason moves:

Projected lineup:

2B- Kinsler

RF- Hunter

1B - Miggy

DH - VMart

3B - Castellanos

C - Avila

CF - AJAX

LF - Dirks/Davis

SS - Iglesias

SP1 - JV

SP2 - Mad Max

SP3 - Dirty Sanchez

SP4 - Porcello

Sp5 - Smyly

I wouldn't call it set this early but I think there are at most 1 or 2 changes based on last minute trades/FAs/promotions due to spring training goodness.
Leroy..I had a PM for you. No messages?

In a poll of MLB GMs the best trade of the year goes to...........The Washington Nationals by a wide margin. Although they spoke or respect for DD it was said that the Nats gave up next to nothing to get a pitcher who could be a top 10 starter in the NL. Lobardozzis are a dime a dozen, Kroll is considered a run of the mill RP, and that DD must see something in Roberts that nobody else does.

In a poll of MLB GMs the best trade of the year goes to...........The Washington Nationals by a wide margin. Although they spoke or respect for DD it was said that the Nats gave up next to nothing to get a pitcher who could be a top 10 starter in the NL. Lobardozzis are a dime a dozen, Kroll is considered a run of the mill RP, and that DD must see something in Roberts that nobody else does.
Way to see how the trade works out over time. :thumbup:

Krol is a very capable late inning lefty reliever and Lombardozzi is a solid utility guy who plays 2B, 3B and the outfield. Those are two things the Tigers lacked last year. No?

Krol is a very capable late inning lefty reliever and Lombardozzi is a solid utility guy who plays 2B, 3B and the outfield. Those are two things the Tigers lacked last year. No?
DD, you're nuts on Lombardozzi. The guy hits about as good as Kelly and is a sub-standard defender all over the diamond.

Maybe he is ready to make some leap, but if he is simply expected to be what he has thus far, he is simply another Kelly. Which means we now have two versatile yet good at nothing players holding down the bench. Ugh.

DD, you're nuts on Lombardozzi. The guy hits about as good as Kelly and is a sub-standard defender all over the diamond.

Maybe he is ready to make some leap, but if he is simply expected to be what he has thus far, he is simply another Kelly. Which means we now have two versatile yet good at nothing players holding down the bench. Ugh.
His standard and advanced fielding numbers indicate he's solid at 2B, ok at third and usable in LF. He's a switch hitter, is ten years younger than Ramon Santiago, and costs $500k a year. He's going to get a lot of ABs IMO, so I hope he's not as bad as you think he is. I wish we would have gotten Danny Espinosa back instead, he's a premium fielder with pop.

I hope the trade works out well, but Fister has been money for Detroit and good starting pitching is at a premium.

Are you guys going to harp on this all year? Dombrowski got Fister for almost nothing, and he flipped him for two solid depth guys and a pitcher he thinks will eventually be a #3 pitcher. How many trades has Dombrowski made that ended up being lopsided in the other teams favor? People wouldn't stop with the Jair Jurrjens/Renteria trade until Jurrjens hit a wall and was released, proving DD saw something there that fans don't understand.

Carlos Guillen, Miggy, Fister, Scherzer, and AJAX have all come back in trades with those players being superior talents to those traded away in most cases. I think the worst trade he's made was probably dealing away Turner and Brantley for Infante, but we got 1.5 years of great baseball out of Infante when we needed it most. There is a reason he made the deal, let's talk about how it worked out in 2016 when Ray should be in the rotation. He knows more about baseball than any of us here, he even knows more than those morons on Detroit Sportstalk radio. :thumbup:

Are you guys going to harp on this all year? Dombrowski got Fister for almost nothing, and he flipped him for two solid depth guys and a pitcher he thinks will eventually be a #3 pitcher. How many trades has Dombrowski made that ended up being lopsided in the other teams favor? People wouldn't stop with the Jair Jurrjens/Renteria trade until Jurrjens hit a wall and was released, proving DD saw something there that fans don't understand.

Carlos Guillen, Miggy, Fister, Scherzer, and AJAX have all come back in trades with those players being superior talents to those traded away in most cases. I think the worst trade he's made was probably dealing away Turner and Brantley for Infante, but we got 1.5 years of great baseball out of Infante when we needed it most. There is a reason he made the deal, let's talk about how it worked out in 2016 when Ray should be in the rotation. He knows more about baseball than any of us here, he even knows more than those morons on Detroit Sportstalk radio. :thumbup:
It will be let go if Lombardoozi hits .300+ and plays gold glove caliber defense at 6 positions, Kroll has a WHIP below 1 and is KOing a batter an inning with 20 straight holds, and Ray is the Minor League pitcher of the year and top rated prospect in all of MLB..not a day sooner.

You forgot the part where Smyly pitches as well or better out the #4 spot as Fister would have, which is probably the most important development for 2014.

Fister was good, not great. His era & whip went up each year he was here, not a real solid trend.

Users who are viewing this thread