Doctor Detroit

***Detroit Tigers thread: RIP Mr I, you will be so missed***

7,168 posts in this topic

The CBS guys were railing on the Tigers for the money they have tied up in JV, Miggy, JUP, and JZimm. 

Sorry but half that group is playing at an MVP level and the other half is within the market norm.  How anyone can include JV or Miggy in the current Tigers makeup misses the whole point, they are there to grab a share of seats in Comerica for one, and they are playing like HOFers for another.  No reason to think Miggy will slow down during his contract years and if JV stays healthy, I think he's gonna be one of the best pitchers of his generation.  Sure JUP and JZimm are ???? but let's give them more than one year to evaluate.  :2cents:

1 person likes this

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:57 AM, Bojang0301 said:

I will always remember this guy for his first inning home run vs the Yankees in  game 5 of the 2011 ALDS and his walk off sac fly vs Oakland in game 2 of the 2012 ALDS.   It's hard playing in spots like he was asked to but he was able to pull it off in some big games/moments for the Tigers. 

On 2/21/2017 at 3:47 PM, jon_mx said:

Jimenez is turning lots of heads.  Not sure what to think about them looking at Infante in CF.  

I think Infante played some CF for the Tigers when he was younger.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

The CBS guys were railing on the Tigers for the money they have tied up in JV, Miggy, JUP, and JZimm. 

Sorry but half that group is playing at an MVP level and the other half is within the market norm.  How anyone can include JV or Miggy in the current Tigers makeup misses the whole point, they are there to grab a share of seats in Comerica for one, and they are playing like HOFers for another.  No reason to think Miggy will slow down during his contract years and if JV stays healthy, I think he's gonna be one of the best pitchers of his generation.  Sure JUP and JZimm are ???? but let's give them more than one year to evaluate.  :2cents:

By buddy is in Lakeland and says Victor is running around like a spring chicken. Taking balls at 1B.,,doing running and sliding drills.

The only guy that concerns me is Zimmerman...since that $$$ could have kept JD and I know that is hindsight.  I took Z in the 25th

rd of our roto league so hope he rebounds.

Edited by Da Guru

I'm still concerned about how they replace Maybin.  The team was far worse without him in the lineup last year and he provided speed at the top of the order.  They have no clue at this point who is going to play CF or bat 2nd.  

9 minutes ago, skillz said:

I'm still concerned about how they replace Maybin.  The team was far worse without him in the lineup last year and he provided speed at the top of the order.  They have no clue at this point who is going to play CF or bat 2nd.  

Having Upton hit 2nd might be the best idea at the beginning of the season, he provides some speed and if he takes on the approach of taking pitches hitting in front of Cabrera he might not have those long streaks of terribleness.  Avila could also hit 2nd when he plays, he takes a lot of walks.  Having guys on base in front of Miggy/VMart/JD is the goal. 

With CF I'm more worried about the defense.  Tigers are above average offensively at every position but 3B, C, CF, and SS.  3B production looks to get better but right now the league is full of really good players there.  Iglesias and McCann are both above average defensively, even if they can't hit all that well.  But both had key hits at times last year and I think McCann in particular is just gonna get better.  No idea what is going on in CF but if the player is above average defensively, I can live with a speculative bat.  Jones is gonna hit for some power I know, but he's a big swing and miss guy and no idea how he's gonna handle CF.  But he seems like a good athlete so we'll see. 

4 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Having Upton hit 2nd might be the best idea at the beginning of the season, he provides some speed and if he takes on the approach of taking pitches hitting in front of Cabrera he might not have those long streaks of terribleness.  Avila could also hit 2nd when he plays, he takes a lot of walks.  Having guys on base in front of Miggy/VMart/JD is the goal. 

With CF I'm more worried about the defense.  Tigers are above average offensively at every position but 3B, C, CF, and SS.  3B production looks to get better but right now the league is full of really good players there.  Iglesias and McCann are both above average defensively, even if they can't hit all that well.  But both had key hits at times last year and I think McCann in particular is just gonna get better.  No idea what is going on in CF but if the player is above average defensively, I can live with a speculative bat.  Jones is gonna hit for some power I know, but he's a big swing and miss guy and no idea how he's gonna handle CF.  But he seems like a good athlete so we'll see. 

Granted ST just started but Brad seems to have already dismissed batting Upton second.  For Pete's sake they better not put Iglesias there.  

6 minutes ago, skillz said:

Granted ST just started but Brad seems to have already dismissed batting Upton second.  For Pete's sake they better not put Iglesias there.  

Yeah no, let's not do that.  He gives away sooooooo many at bats.  IMO he has trouble with concentrating, that's why he's so God Damn awful on the bases.