What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 Philadelphia Eagles Thread ** (2 Viewers)

Awful Waffle

Footballguy
Year two of the Chip Kelly era is upon us! I'm excited. I think the offense will be more consistent. It will be Nick Foles' first offseason as the starter and the offense will be built to fit his strengths even more. I think Chip probably created his scheme to fit both QB's last season but now he can go in knowing he has an accurate QB with limited athleticism. I think Jeremy Maclin will be back, at least for one season, and teams who got shredded by Riley Cooper will throw in the white flag. Zach Ertz is on his way towards becoming a top flight TE. Needs to be a better blocker, though. I would like to see the other backs get more work so Shady doesn't have to carry the ball as much as he did. Oh yeah, Shady. Remember him? Not sure there's any RB I'd take in the league over him, sans AP. The o-line will be a little older in some spots (LT, LG, RG) but the C and RT (and potential franchise LT of the future) are young and talented.

Hopefully the theme of the draft this year is DEFENSE. The line is young and should get better with another offseason under their belts. An upgrade at ROLB is in order. I like Trent Cole and he came on strong towards the end of the season, but he's a year older and some youth coming off the edge would be exciting. Connor Barwin is a solid #2 OLB. DeMeco Ryans is a good player and a leader for this team. Mychal Kendricks has flashed in each of his first two seasons. I want to see him emerge as a top flight ILB. The corners should be back. They are what they are: average at best. But at least they tackle and don't eat lunch in their cars. Safety is another big need. Earl Wolff showed potential but he must take a big step this year. Behind him is Patrick Chung, who really disappointed. Kurt Coleman, Colt Anderson, and Nate Allen are all free agents. Eagles have money if they want to chase a former Duck like Jairus Byrd.

And in special teams, the kicking situation needs a change. Alex Henery does not have an NFL leg. Donnie Football was a fantastic punter this year who needs to be re-signed. And Jon Dorenbos is still the best magician out of all the long snappers in the NFL.

10-6 was good, but not good enough. Cowboys are in financial cap hell, the Giants are getting old (and Eli is coming off a season where he threw 27 interceptions), and the Redskins have a terrible team and no first round pick.

Go Eagles!

Way to go boys, way to start this thread right!

Lurie, Roseman, Kelly, and Foles in the chain of command at the top inspires confidence.

I'm over the Saints now. What's going to bug me is 5 months of talk radio pushing idiot callers on who want to trade Foles for the #1 pick to the texans. I heard 10 mins on the way home tonight and the counter argument the host gave was why would Houston want that for an unproven qb?

I wonder how many will have Vick as the starter by March in the media.

Best was the other day when "expert" Sal Pal said the reason they lost was because they scored to quickly at the end of the game, that they should have milked the clock before scoring, and that the long pass attempt to Jackson that gave them 1st and goal on the 3 was a poor decision by Foles. :lmao:

Insein said:
I'm over the Saints now. What's going to bug me is 5 months of talk radio pushing idiot callers on who want to trade Foles for the #1 pick to the texans. I heard 10 mins on the way home tonight and the counter argument the host gave was why would Houston want that for an unproven qb?

I listened for like 10 minutes on the way home yesterday and this same situation came up and Marks countered with "So the Texans are sold he's a solid starting QB but we arent?" Perfect.

The bottom line is that they didnt expect this from Foles...this was supposed to be their off-season material and they have to run with it. It's no fun talking about who our next OLB or DB may be and that wont generate calls.

JetMaxx said:
Best was the other day when "expert" Sal Pal said the reason they lost was because they scored to quickly at the end of the game, that they should have milked the clock before scoring, and that the long pass attempt to Jackson that gave them 1st and goal on the 3 was a poor decision by Foles. :lmao:
Unbelievable

Oh, and I'm SICK of the "If you didnt win the SB your season was a failure" crap too. Yes, its the main goal but a team coming off of a 4-12 season that goes 10-6, including winning 7 or their last 8 and thweir division has a successful year

Insein said:

I listened for like 10 minutes on the way home yesterday and this same situation came up and Marks countered with "So the Texans are sold he's a solid starting QB but we arent?" Perfect.

The bottom line is that they didnt expect this from Foles...this was supposed to be their off-season material and they have to run with it. It's no fun talking about who our next OLB or DB may be and that wont generate calls.
How about the other dude (Marks's partner - I forget his name) saying "just imagine what the Eagles could have done with Kaepernick in that game" lol. Morons can't see what they have right in front of them and they get to host a radio show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful Waffle said:
Year two of the Chip Kelly era is upon us! I'm excited. I think the offense will be more consistent. It will be Nick Foles' first offseason as the starter and the offense will be built to fit his strengths even more. I think Chip probably created his scheme to fit both QB's last season but now he can go in knowing he has an accurate QB with limited athleticism. I think Jeremy Maclin will be back, at least for one season, and teams who got shredded by Riley Cooper will throw in the white flag. Zach Ertz is on his way towards becoming a top flight TE. Needs to be a better blocker, though. I would like to see the other backs get more work so Shady doesn't have to carry the ball as much as he did. Oh yeah, Shady. Remember him? Not sure there's any RB I'd take in the league over him, sans AP. The o-line will be a little older in some spots (LT, LG, RG) but the C and RT (and potential franchise LT of the future) are young and talented.

Hopefully the theme of the draft this year is DEFENSE. The line is young and should get better with another offseason under their belts. An upgrade at ROLB is in order. I like Trent Cole and he came on strong towards the end of the season, but he's a year older and some youth coming off the edge would be exciting. Connor Barwin is a solid #2 OLB. DeMeco Ryans is a good player and a leader for this team. Mychal Kendricks has flashed in each of his first two seasons. I want to see him emerge as a top flight ILB. The corners should be back. They are what they are: average at best. But at least they tackle and don't eat lunch in their cars. Safety is another big need. Earl Wolff showed potential but he must take a big step this year. Behind him is Patrick Chung, who really disappointed. Kurt Coleman, Colt Anderson, and Nate Allen are all free agents. Eagles have money if they want to chase a former Duck like Jairus Byrd.

And in special teams, the kicking situation needs a change. Alex Henery does not have an NFL leg. Donnie Football was a fantastic punter this year who needs to be re-signed. And Jon Dorenbos is still the best magician out of all the long snappers in the NFL.

10-6 was good, but not good enough. Cowboys are in financial cap hell, the Giants are getting old (and Eli is coming off a season where he threw 27 interceptions), and the Redskins have a terrible team and no first round pick.

Go Eagles!
Nice post. As a Steelers fan, I think Worilds wants to re-sign with the Steelers and I believe the Steelers will prioritize that. Woodley is gone and may be a good fit for the Eagles (especially if he can stay healthy).

The Eagles should win the division next year but you just never know what will happen in the NFL. Will a new coach resurrect RG3? Will the Giants bounce back (I still think they have talent on the offensive side)? The Cowboys also still have a lot of talent on offense. Will the Eagles remain relatively healthy all year again (especially on the offensive and defensive lines)? Will anyone figure out Kelly in year 2? At a minimum, the off season will generate tons of excitement (unlike the last few Reid years).

Insein said:

How about the other dude (Marks's partner - I forget his name) saying "just imagine what the Eagles could have done with Kaepernick in that game" lol. Morons can't see what they have right in front of them and they get to host a radio show.
Sean Brace. Yea he's an idiot.

Awful Waffle said:

Go Eagles!
Nice post. As a Steelers fan, I think Worilds wants to re-sign with the Steelers and I believe the Steelers will prioritize that. Woodley is gone and may be a good fit for the Eagles (especially if he can stay healthy).

The Eagles should win the division next year but you just never know what will happen in the NFL. Will a new coach resurrect RG3? Will the Giants bounce back (I still think they have talent on the offensive side)? The Cowboys also still have a lot of talent on offense. Will the Eagles remain relatively healthy all year again (especially on the offensive and defensive lines)? Will anyone figure out Kelly in year 2? At a minimum, the off season will generate tons of excitement (unlike the last few Reid years).
You have to bet against it. If we go through another season like we did then Chip's medical staff deserves a nobel peace prize. We all discuss certain position needs, but depth will be important as well.

I'm not saying that PFF has to be the gold standard, but why do you think Cortland Finnegan is better than that?
Hey Long Ball - I don't know how great of a cover corner Finnegan is, but he's always been a good tackler in run support. It's odd to see him as the second worst rated corner overall.

Is it too early to start talking about potential prospects in round 1? Last year was a little easier since we picked so early, and picking so late this year makes it tough to assume who will drop, etc.

CB Verrett/Gilber

OLB Beasley/Shazier
WR Evans/Lee

S Clinton-Dix

Dennard would be a dream if he fell, and I'd love to trade up for a guy like Barr/Mack but not sure that will happen.

Is it too early to start talking about potential prospects in round 1? Last year was a little easier since we picked so early, and picking so late this year makes it tough to assume who will drop, etc.

CB Verrett/Gilber

OLB Beasley/Shazier

WR Evans/Lee

S Clinton-Dix

Dennard would be a dream if he fell, and I'd love to trade up for a guy like Barr/Mack but not sure that will happen.
I think the WR's you listed will be long gone by the time we pick. If we can get a top DB or OLB in round one then follow up later in the draft with a Martavis Bryant or a Kelvin Benjamin that would be great.

I think Shazier wont project as a 3-4 OLB

CB Verrett/Gilber

OLB Beasley/Shazier

WR Evans/Lee

S Clinton-Dix

I think the WR's you listed will be long gone by the time we pick. If we can get a top DB or OLB in round one then follow up later in the draft with a Martavis Bryant or a Kelvin Benjamin that would be great.

I think Shazier wont project as a 3-4 OLB
Ya Evans likely will be gone, Lee might still be there, but he might be too much of a djax clone. Ya you're right about Shazier.. he's probably too small anyways.

I'm not saying that PFF has to be the gold standard, but why do you think Cortland Finnegan is better than that?
Hey Long Ball - I don't know how great of a cover corner Finnegan is, but he's always been a good tackler in run support. It's odd to see him as the second worst rated corner overall.
I would guess injuries played a part.

Insein said:

It's Marts, isn't it? as in Martinez?

I would guess injuries played a part.
Yeah, looks like he missed all of the 2nd half? They rated him pretty terribly for the final 2/3 of last season too.

They have fairly positive in 08 and 11 and about average in 09 and 10. :shrug:

I thought I remembered some analysts saying that he really wasn't very good, but got a lot of pub for his aggressiveness and hits.

Awful Waffle said:

Nothing against Byrd I rather go after the other former Duck T.J Ward

@GeoffMosherCSN: Matt Barkley cautions against judging him on two cameos. "Im a better quarterback than that." By @RoobCSN: http://t.co/x36aXO7xqy
Who are the available FA's that are capable of being decent backup qb's for us next year? Still see Barkley as a developmental 3 and not ready to be the 2. And if Vicks gone, we'll need someone.
Quarterbacks

1. Michael Vick

2. Josh McCown

3. Josh Freeman

4. Shaun Hill

5. Chad Henne

6. Tarvaris Jackson

7. Colt McCoy

8. Matt Flynn

9. Kellen Clemens

10. Luke McCown

11. Derek Anderson

12. David Garrard

13. Dan Orlovsky

14. Rex Grossman

15. Curtis Painter

16. Tim Tebow

17. Jimmy Clausen

18. Charlie Whitehurst

19. Brady Quinn

20. Rusty Smith

Last edited by a moderator:
Insein said:

Martinez is the producer for Mikey Miss now. Marks and Brace are 12-2. They cocered for Missinelli all week.

@GeoffMosherCSN: Matt Barkley cautions against judging him on two cameos. "Im a better quarterback than that." By @RoobCSN: http://t.co/x36aXO7xqy
Who are the available FA's that are capable of being decent backup qb's for us next year? Still see Barkley as a developmental 3 and not ready to be the 2. And if Vicks gone, we'll need someone.
Quarterbacks

1. Michael Vick

2. Josh McCown

3. Josh Freeman

4. Shaun Hill

5. Chad Henne

6. Tarvaris Jackson

7. Colt McCoy

8. Matt Flynn

9. Kellen Clemens

10. Luke McCown

11. Derek Anderson

12. David Garrard

13. Dan Orlovsky

14. Rex Grossman

15. Curtis Painter

16. Tim Tebow

17. Jimmy Clausen

18. Charlie Whitehurst

19. Brady Quinn

20. Rusty Smith
wow not a lot out there. Really hoping Vick comes back as a back up now, especially seeing that. Mccown or flynn i would hope we sign.

I'm pretty sure we take the draft/udfa rout for a QB. No need to pay a vet money when they're not even good. Grab a couple of young guys and let them duke it out.

I'm pretty sure we take the draft/udfa rout for a QB. No need to pay a vet money when they're not even good. Grab a couple of young guys and let them duke it out.
I understand the competition angle but when the starter is only making $600k, you can afford a couple extra million for a veteran backup. A rookie and Barkley as the backups is basically giving up if foles gets hurt.

Insein said:

Martinez is the producer for Mikey Miss now. Marks and Brace are 12-2. They cocered for Missinelli all week.
Them two are brutal, so dramatic and fake, and seldom know wtf they're talking about. And with Barkann/Ike then the cuz on the other station, afternoons are even worse than usual in that time slot.

Billy Bats said:
Insein said:
Long Ball Larry said:
Insein said:

Them two are brutal, so dramatic and fake, and seldom know wtf they're talking about. And with Barkann/Ike then the cuz on the other station, afternoons are even worse than usual in that time slot.
:shrug: I generally like the Mike N' Ike show.

Insein said:
ShaHBucks said:
I understand the competition angle but when the starter is only making $600k, you can afford a couple extra million for a veteran backup. A rookie and Barkley as the backups is basically giving up if foles gets hurt.
says who? Matt Barkley just might develop into a better player than guys on that list for all we know. Personally I don't want anyone on the team that doesn't have starter talent/potential. Plenty of those FA listed above fall way short of that. That's a waste of time and resources to me. If a player does have starter talent or develops starter talent he will be on a cheap contract for years just like Foles. No need to be so short sighted now by looking for all quick fixes. Keep doing what we did this year.

Insein said:
ShaHBucks said:
says who? Matt Barkley just might develop into a better player than guys on that list for all we know. Personally I don't want anyone on the team that doesn't have starter talent/potential. Plenty of those FA listed above fall way short of that. That's a waste of time and resources to me. If a player does have starter talent or develops starter talent he will be on a cheap contract for years just like Foles. No need to be so short sighted now by looking for all quick fixes. Keep doing what we did this year.
Lets be realistic. Barkley can improve but did he show you anything this year that said he can hold the fort should foles go down for a game or 2? Having a veteran backup is meant for that sole purpose. A guy who is not starter calibur over the course of the year but is good enough to win you some games and keep the playoffs alive till the starter returns. Another qb draft pick or an udfa is not going to provide that insurance any more than Barkley.

Billy Bats said:
Insein said:
Long Ball Larry said:
Insein said:

Yeah, honestly other than Missanelli (and occasionally Phil from Mt. Airy for old time's sake), I don't pay much attention to the hosts. Though Martinez and Marks were the same guy.

On a semi-related note, 610 now has this guy Josh Innis on at nights from 6-10 who is kind of a clown, IMO, but he was berating this caller the other night and my 9-year-old daughter, who rarely pays any attention to the sports talk, thought it was hilarious. So hopefully that his target demo.

/endsportsradiochat

Best case scenario is Vick back as backup. Not sure he's going to get much love as a starter anywhere, although he is certainly better then the current starter on a handful of teams, I'd expect them to be drafting QB's. Best case for him is a year contract for maybe Minnesota?

Insein said:
ShaHBucks said:
Lets be realistic. Barkley can improve but did he show you anything this year that said he can hold the fort should foles go down for a game or 2? Having a veteran backup is meant for that sole purpose. A guy who is not starter calibur over the course of the year but is good enough to win you some games and keep the playoffs alive till the starter returns. Another qb draft pick or an udfa is not going to provide that insurance any more than Barkley.
It's not hard to find my thoughts on Barkley pre or post draft but anyway... Look back at that FA list and let me know who the Eagles are going to "overpay" with two inexpensive young QB already on the roster? I will go as far as saying who on that list is even better than Barkley that actually has a shot at signing here? CK is not going to be coventional and just get a backup for the sake of getting a backup from what I know now, especially one making more money then Nick Foles. They will probably take another look at G.J. Kinne and bring in another young QB or two and battle it out.

Best case scenario is Vick back as backup. Not sure he's going to get much love as a starter anywhere, although he is certainly better then the current starter on a handful of teams, I'd expect them to be drafting QB's. Best case for him is a year contract for maybe Minnesota?
I think he'll be a Starter somewhere like Oakland.

Why not just carry 2 quarterbacks? A lot of teams do it. I also think Barkley will be better with more reps next year.

Users who are viewing this thread