What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 Philadelphia Eagles Thread ** (1 Viewer)

Insein said:
ShaHBucks said:
I'm pretty sure we take the draft/udfa rout for a QB. No need to pay a vet money when they're not even good. Grab a couple of young guys and let them duke it out.
I understand the competition angle but when the starter is only making $600k, you can afford a couple extra million for a veteran backup. A rookie and Barkley as the backups is basically giving up if foles gets hurt.
says who? Matt Barkley just might develop into a better player than guys on that list for all we know. Personally I don't want anyone on the team that doesn't have starter talent/potential. Plenty of those FA listed above fall way short of that. That's a waste of time and resources to me. If a player does have starter talent or develops starter talent he will be on a cheap contract for years just like Foles. No need to be so short sighted now by looking for all quick fixes. Keep doing what we did this year.
Lets be realistic. Barkley can improve but did he show you anything this year that said he can hold the fort should foles go down for a game or 2? Having a veteran backup is meant for that sole purpose. A guy who is not starter calibur over the course of the year but is good enough to win you some games and keep the playoffs alive till the starter returns. Another qb draft pick or an udfa is not going to provide that insurance any more than Barkley.
It's not hard to find my thoughts on Barkley pre or post draft but anyway... Look back at that FA list and let me know who the Eagles are going to "overpay" with two inexpensive young QB already on the roster? I will go as far as saying who on that list is even better than Barkley that actually has a shot at signing here? CK is not going to be coventional and just get a backup for the sake of getting a backup from what I know now, especially one making more money then Nick Foles. They will probably take another look at G.J. Kinne and bring in another young QB or two and battle it out.
Never said overpay. But a veteran backup will cost more than a rookie or udfa.

Why not just carry 2 quarterbacks? A lot of teams do it. I also think Barkley will be better with more reps next year.
ShaHBucks said:
I'm pretty sure we take the draft/udfa rout for a QB. No need to pay a vet money when they're not even good. Grab a couple of young guys and let them duke it out.
No no no no no. I can't believe you guys are 100% happy with Barkley being our back up qb next year. As much as Barkley might be better then he showed, In a year where we hope to be competing for a championship we are screwed if Foles goes down. Kelly isn't stupid enough to put his title hopes on Barkleys shoulders.

I really don't see us drafting a QB this year. Foles is young, I don't want two roster spots of 'developing' quarterbacks. There's no need for that if Foles is our guy. It just seems to make PERFECT sense to have a vet as our backup if Vick leaves. I'd trust 10 guys on that list over Matt Barkley.

Why not just carry 2 quarterbacks? A lot of teams do it. I also think Barkley will be better with more reps next year.
ShaHBucks said:
No no no no no. I can't believe you guys are 100% happy with Barkley being our back up qb next year. As much as Barkley might be better then he showed, In a year where we hope to be competing for a championship we are screwed if Foles goes down. Kelly isn't stupid enough to put his title hopes on Barkleys shoulders.

I really don't see us drafting a QB this year. Foles is young, I don't want two roster spots of 'developing' quarterbacks. There's no need for that if Foles is our guy. It just seems to make PERFECT sense to have a vet as our backup if Vick leaves. I'd trust 10 guys on that list over Matt Barkley.
Not to mention that while I agree with the BPA philosophy, they'd be foolish to not make those BPA's mostly defensive players. With needs at OLB, Safety, DL, WR and maybe some depth on the OL, I don't see where QB fits in especially with this year's crop. Have Barkley and a vet compete for the 2nd string. IF you're unhappy with that going into 2015, draft another one then.

Who is this vet you guys are speaking of? I think Vick finds a gig.

This is like the QB of the future who's not on the roster yet or Kelly's guy in the draft...

Last edited by a moderator:

This is like the QB of the future who's not on the roster yet or Kelly's guy in the draft...
There's always guys. A few I wouldn't mind from the expected FA list would be Chad Henne or Josh McCown. Unspectacular but can come in and stabilize the offense for a game or two. There's also a group of expected cap casualties I'd take a look at. Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore or Matt Cassell. All are either in backup roles or will be seeking one for the first time after underachieving. They'll be a cap friendly contract of 1 or 2 years for maybe $2-4 mil and give you a backup that has won some games in the NFL before.

The ideal situation is that Vick finds nothing out there and comes back as a backup. He knows the offense and has been the good soldier for the team. He's more than capable of holding down the fort for a few games.

Like Insein says, we have SO many spots on D we need filled... that it would be totally unreasonable to draft a SECOND developmental QB right now in the first 5 rounds.

So you're suggesting that our backup qb next year will be Barkley, and our 3rd qb will be some 5th/6th rounder? That's suicide if Foles goes down. At least with a Henne, or McCown, he can possibly be effective if thrown in, and could help Barkleys development a bit and stabilize the position.

Maybe we should have waited to start the 2014 thread. There is actually Chad Henne lobbying going on??

I get the concern, because having a decent backup QB can prove to be critical. I'm not suggesting we get careless and butcher the QB contingency plan. What I'm really suggesting is to stick to the plan of rebuilding the team the right way. Just because we had some early sucess doesn't mean we should go patching up leaks.

Last season Vick was resign because he was better than any QB you could get in the draft or FA. That was true. I have to assume that line of thinking is still the plan for the organization. To sign Henne or McCown you have to think the same is true of them. It's not. There are better values at QB in the draft this year then the available FAs. Just a season ago Foles was kicking Mike Kafka and Trent Edwards out the door. That process can be repeated. Drafting a player like David Fales in the 4th-5th for depth would be a better move for a backup QB. He'd be on a cheaper contract and have more upside than a proven below average QB. If you guys thinks Henne is the better than any player we can get that will fall in the draft or be available undrafted just because you've seen him play then so be it.

If Barkley can't be counted on for a game or two by next season he should be cut, and drafting or signing a young capable backup QB is even more of a need longterm.

If they think Barkley is ready we will carry two quarterbacks. If they don't, they'll bring in a vet to be the #2. I don't think they'll draft a backup quarterback to be the #2.

I don't think McCown comes cheap. Bradford probably will get resigned. If we get a vet, we'll probably end up with what's left after the initial surge. Probably a Colt McCoy or Tavaris Jackson. I think with more reps Barkley is probably better than those options.

I remember hearing somewhere that reps is really important for the quarterback in this offense because all the new reads you need to make. I won't be surprised to see a huge improvement in Barkley next season for this reason. He had very few reps last season.

It is an interesting debate and I'm noty sure where I stand. I believe that Barkley will get better but I don't have much to go off of other then his shoulder getting healthier and him being more familiar with the system. I would be in favor of grabiing a veteran back-up with some upside if possible and would love it to be a guy like Sanchez when the Jets release him.

Yeah, honestly other than Missanelli (and occasionally Phil from Mt. Airy for old time's sake), I don't pay much attention to the hosts. Though Martinez and Marks were the same guy.

On a semi-related note, 610 now has this guy Josh Innis on at nights from 6-10 who is kind of a clown, IMO, but he was berating this caller the other night and my 9-year-old daughter, who rarely pays any attention to the sports talk, thought it was hilarious. So hopefully that his target demo.

/endsportsradiochat
Josh Innis just got done working a couple years here in Houston. My impression is he thinks he is a whole lot funnier than he is, and he seemed to steer a lot of the conversation away from sports. Houston is a soft sports radio show market (not real hard hitting) so he had it pretty easy here. I think the Philly callers will eat him up, and at some point some listener is going to find him doing a remote spot and beat him up because he comes off as such a punk.

Maybe we should have waited to start the 2014 thread. There is actually Chad Henne lobbying going on??

I get the concern, because having a decent backup QB can prove to be critical. I'm not suggesting we get careless and butcher the QB contingency plan. What I'm really suggesting is to stick to the plan of rebuilding the team the right way. Just because we had some early sucess doesn't mean we should go patching up leaks.

Last season Vick was resign because he was better than any QB you could get in the draft or FA. That was true. I have to assume that line of thinking is still the plan for the organization. To sign Henne or McCown you have to think the same is true of them. It's not. There are better values at QB in the draft this year then the available FAs. Just a season ago Foles was kicking Mike Kafka and Trent Edwards out the door. That process can be repeated. Drafting a player like David Fales in the 4th-5th for depth would be a better move for a backup QB. He'd be on a cheaper contract and have more upside than a proven below average QB. If you guys thinks Henne is the better than any player we can get that will fall in the draft or be available undrafted just because you've seen him play then so be it.

If Barkley can't be counted on for a game or two by next season he should be cut, and drafting or signing a young capable backup QB is even more of a need longterm.
I understand the philosophy but to make another qb pick in the first 5 rounds when we have at least 5 other positions of need is not what I think they'll do. Unless Johnny Manziel falls to the 4th like barkley did, I don't expect a qb drafted. I expect them to bring in a vet on a short term, cap friendly deal as insurance and to hopefully push Barkley to become the backup. If we went 6-10 or 8-8, sure keep rebuilding. We won the division though. The next bar is win a playoff game. To do that you have to get back there. Having a competent backup is part of that in the nfl. Defense needs an influx of young 3-4 talent and offense needs playmakers more than we need a developmental 3rd string qb.

Any mention of Tavaris Jackson in this thread should call for an immediate suspension of posting privileges.

Any mention of Tavaris Jackson in this thread should call for an immediate suspension of posting privileges.
I mentioned that is probably who we'd end up with after the first round of QB signings. Then I posed the question, is that really better than Barkley?

Guys. Let's not lose our minds over who the #2 or #3 QB will be. Its all fluid. We got 20 mil in cap room and throwing 3-6 for two years at a guy like McCown won't be bad. Not like Barkley is terrible or will not develop. But I feel Chip had a round 3 or higher grade on him, so I don't realistically seeing drafting another QB this year. All the thoughts on what happens when Foles goes down is valid. If you are advocating spending a ton of picks on D, then you should have no problem tossing a guy like McCown 6 mil. Look what he did with weapons this year in relief.

I would agree, a vet QB to pair with a development QB (Barkley) is the way to go.

We're going to have a tougher schedule next year - I'm excited to see what pieces to the puzzle CK brings in.

Sorry if repost.

2014 opponents:

Home:

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12, 3rd AFCS)

Seattle Seahawks (13-3, 1st NFCW)

St. Louis Rams (7-9, NFCW)

Tennessee Titans (7-9, 2nd AFCS)

Carolina Panthers (12-4, 1st NFCS)

Dallas Cowboys (8-8, 2nd NFCE)

New York Giants (7-9, 3rd NFCE)

Washington Redskins (3-13, 4th NFCE)

Road:

Green Bay Packers (8-7-1, 1st NFCN)

Houston Texans (2-14, 4th AFCS)

Indianapolis Colts (11-5, 1st AFCS)

Arizona Cardinals (10-6, 3rd NFCW)

San Francisco 49ers (12-4, 2nd NFCW)

Sorry if repost.

2014 opponents:

Home:

Road:

I see no reason why we can't go 10-6 again IMO

Sorry if repost.

2014 opponents:

Home:

Road:

I know this is some homerism in here, but I see the NFC East looking very similar to 2001-2005 era, aka all the other teams suck. I think we should be able to get at least 4 divisional wins if not more. 11-5 is my early call. Not to be a one-upper or anything.

Sorry if repost.

2014 opponents:

Home:

Road:

I know this is some homerism in here, but I see the NFC East looking very similar to 2001-2005 era, aka all the other teams suck. I think we should be able to get at least 4 divisional wins if not more. 11-5 is my early call. Not to be a one-upper or anything.
I was just thinking this the other day.

Dallas is on the way down.

Redskins are in flux. I think Griffin becomes a pretty good qb bu t new offense and still recovering from injury.

I expect the Giants to bounce back but they are not going to be winning any surprise super bowls soon.

I know things change from year-to-year, but getting the NFC West will be tough. Fortunately, the AFC South should balance it out a bit, and, as noted above, the NFC East should suck again.

Yeah, honestly other than Missanelli (and occasionally Phil from Mt. Airy for old time's sake), I don't pay much attention to the hosts. Though Martinez and Marks were the same guy.

On a semi-related note, 610 now has this guy Josh Innis on at nights from 6-10 who is kind of a clown, IMO, but he was berating this caller the other night and my 9-year-old daughter, who rarely pays any attention to the sports talk, thought it was hilarious. So hopefully that his target demo.

/endsportsradiochat
Josh Innis just got done working a couple years here in Houston. My impression is he thinks he is a whole lot funnier than he is, and he seemed to steer a lot of the conversation away from sports. Houston is a soft sports radio show market (not real hard hitting) so he had it pretty easy here. I think the Philly callers will eat him up, and at some point some listener is going to find him doing a remote spot and beat him up because he comes off as such a punk.
Yeah, I don't think that he is going to fit in with the callers, who prefer the typical underdog, philadelphia-centric stuff, but I he might get ratings. should be interesting.

@AdamSchefter: As first reported. RT @caplannfl: Dolphins and Bucs request permission to interview Eagles VP of player personnel Tom Gamble for GM opening.

There's always guys. A few I wouldn't mind from the expected FA list would be Chad Henne or Josh McCown. Unspectacular but can come in and stabilize the offense for a game or two. There's also a group of expected cap casualties I'd take a look at. Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore or Matt Cassell. All are either in backup roles or will be seeking one for the first time after underachieving. They'll be a cap friendly contract of 1 or 2 years for maybe $2-4 mil and give you a backup that has won some games in the NFL before.

The ideal situation is that Vick finds nothing out there and comes back as a backup. He knows the offense and has been the good soldier for the team. He's more than capable of holding down the fort for a few games.
I agree bringing back Vick is the best option by far but I don't see any way he doesn't get a starting NFL job with Jacksonville or Oakland. I would take a serious look at Sanchez who I agree with most likely get cut. I think Sanchez has gotten some really bad coaching in NY and I think he could do well in Kelly's offense.

It is an interesting debate and I'm noty sure where I stand. I believe that Barkley will get better but I don't have much to go off of other then his shoulder getting healthier and him being more familiar with the system. I would be in favor of grabiing a veteran back-up with some upside if possible and would love it to be a guy like Sanchez when the Jets release him.
Echos my thoughts on it.

Also Deseans house just got robbed or something. Who keeps $250k in cash at their house?

Sorry if repost.

2014 opponents:

Home:

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12, 3rd AFCS) W

Seattle Seahawks (13-3, 1st NFCW)L

St. Louis Rams (7-9, NFCW) W

Tennessee Titans (7-9, 2nd AFCS) W

Carolina Panthers (12-4, 1st NFCS) W

Dallas Cowboys (8-8, 2nd NFCE) L

New York Giants (7-9, 3rd NFCE) W

Washington Redskins (3-13, 4th NFCE) W

Road:

Green Bay Packers (8-7-1, 1st NFCN) L

Houston Texans (2-14, 4th AFCS) W

Indianapolis Colts (11-5, 1st AFCS) W

Arizona Cardinals (10-6, 3rd NFCW) L

San Francisco 49ers (12-4, 2nd NFCW)L

Dallas Cowboys (8-8, 2nd NFCE) W

New York Giants (7-9, 3rd NFCE) L

Sorry if repost.

2014 opponents:

Home:

Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12, 3rd AFCS) W

Seattle Seahawks (13-3, 1st NFCW)L

St. Louis Rams (7-9, NFCW) W

Tennessee Titans (7-9, 2nd AFCS) W

Carolina Panthers (12-4, 1st NFCS) W

Dallas Cowboys (8-8, 2nd NFCE) L

New York Giants (7-9, 3rd NFCE) W

Road:

Green Bay Packers (8-7-1, 1st NFCN) L

Houston Texans (2-14, 4th AFCS) W

Indianapolis Colts (11-5, 1st AFCS) W

Arizona Cardinals (10-6, 3rd NFCW) L

San Francisco 49ers (12-4, 2nd NFCW)L

Dallas Cowboys (8-8, 2nd NFCE) W

New York Giants (7-9, 3rd NFCE) L

Not bad projections... wouldn't be shocked if we lost to Indy or Carolina though which would drop us to 9 wins. That could be enough to win the div again though. O/U will probably be 9.5

Got into a my QB is better than your QB battle with my 9ers fan buddy last night. I just doe see it with Kaepernick.

Kaepernick has 31 starts: AVG 300.7 pass and 100.3 rushing in 3 games vs. Green Bay

Rest of his games AVG 186.9 pass and 30.5 rushing

You guys are nuts if you wouldn't want Kap in this offense with Kelly
I think Russell Wilson would be a much better fit in a Kelly offense than Kaep. Mobility, speed, plus a passing accuracy level that's close to Foles.Kaep to me would be closer to how Vick runs the Kelly offense. Not bad, but not ideal.

I think Russell Wilson would be a much better fit in a Kelly offense than Kaep. Mobility, speed, plus a passing accuracy level that's close to Foles.Kaep to me would be closer to how Vick runs the Kelly offense. Not bad, but not ideal.
Agreed on Wilson but that wasn't the discussion. Kap is a blend of Foles and Vick, he would be unstoppable in this offense with Kelly

Agreed on Wilson but that wasn't the discussion. Kap is a blend of Foles and Vick, he would be unstoppable in this offense with Kelly
That's the thing - I don't see the Foles part of the blend with Kaep.

That's the thing - I don't see the Foles part of the blend with Kaep.
Kaep completed 58% of his passes and averaged 199 ypg. I can't see him running a Kelly offense, being asked to pass more, and "going nuts". I don't think he's a bad QB but I think people think he's a better QB then he actually is. I personally don't see him and Wilson as even close when it comes to QB's. I'd take Wilson any day of the week over him. He's a smaller Kaep that does everything better IMO.

**ETA**

And Kaep is older then both Wilson and Foles

Users who are viewing this thread