Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Awful Waffle

** Official 2014 Philadelphia Eagles Thread **

@CrossingBroad: 97.5 Issues Statement Saying Mike Missanelli Has Been Suspended http://t.co/ylyG5DiCez

I was going to avoid him for a while anyway. I only heard bits and pieces yesterday, but he seemed fired up (again) that the Eagles need a running QB. "Kaepernick had more success against the Seattle D then a pocket passer like Manning" "NFL is changing, can't win without a mobile QB".

He just can't admit he might have been wrong about Foles.

:bye:

The last team to beat Seattle was Arizona and last I checked Carson Palmer wasn't the fastest fellow out there lol

He needed the time off. It's only a matter of time before he gets axed again anyway. His schtick is old.

@CrossingBroad: 97.5 Issues Statement Saying Mike Missanelli Has Been Suspended http://t.co/ylyG5DiCez

I was going to avoid him for a while anyway. I only heard bits and pieces yesterday, but he seemed fired up (again) that the Eagles need a running QB. "Kaepernick had more success against the Seattle D then a pocket passer like Manning" "NFL is changing, can't win without a mobile QB".

The last team to beat Seattle was Arizona and last I checked Carson Palmer wasn't the fastest fellow out there lol

He needed the time off. It's only a matter of time before he gets axed again anyway. His schtick is old.

They have no one for afternoon drive now.

It won't generate many calls but Marks and Brace at least have some objective discussions

Missanelli's retort:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/02/04/mike-missanelli-deadspin-emails/

He probably shouldn't be pouring gasoline into the fire. :lol:

How do you allow yourself to be trolled for 4 years? :lmao:

Makes no sense. Especially if that guy was actually threatening him and possibly his family. Maybe he thought it was all in jest, but there's no way I would trust a troll like that who goes out of his way to stay unidentified. I would've contacted the police long ago. It's his own fault, he should've known nothing good could've come out of that nonsense.

It won't generate many calls but Marks and Brace at least have some objective discussions

Meh to me they're less objective than Mike and more obvious with their steering the conversation.

Missanelli basically built up the whole station. Like him or not, getting rid of him would be very bad for 97.5's business.

Missanelli basically built up the whole station. Like him or not, getting rid of him would be very bad for 97.5's business.

I dont disagree but the guy has been fired from pretty much every job he has had it seemes inevitable that he gets canned at some point. Check out his twitter when you have time, he's basically Eskin Jr

Now Roseman is hinting that we won't be able to keep both WR's. I thought we would let Mac walk.

The possibility has always been there for us to lose one. Maclin is used to starting and Cooper has shown the ability to start, it would be hard for either one to come back knowing they'd be a #3. It's betting IMO to keep one and draft another and work him in. This is a VERY deep WR class and one that actually has some WR's with some size. I'd prefer we let Maclin walk and grab a guy in round 2 or 3.

Now Roseman is hinting that we won't be able to keep both WR's. I thought we would let Mac walk.

The possibility has always been there for us to lose one. Maclin is used to starting and Cooper has shown the ability to start, it would be hard for either one to come back knowing they'd be a #3. It's betting IMO to keep one and draft another and work him in. This is a VERY deep WR class and one that actually has some WR's with some size. I'd prefer we let Maclin walk and grab a guy in round 2 or 3.

Yeah me too. I just like Maclin, but he gets dinged up a bit too much.

With the Banner/Lombardi shakeup in Cleveland, a look back at last year's LaCanfora "report" that Roseman was in over his head.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21553122/monday-observations-scrutiny-now-settling-on-shaky-eagles-gm

From the linked article:

The last two seasons, culminating with Roseman's rise to power in Philadelphia, have been marred with horror signings like Nnamdi Asomugha, the firing of coordinators and assistants in-season, some pretty obvious situations where the personnel didn't fit the scheme, the demise of Reid. Jason Babin being waived in-season a year after challenging the single-season sack record pretty much sums up the Roseman Era. Some strange front office firings mixed in there too.

Oh, and also plenty of less-than-competitive football.

I love how he lays it all at the feet of Roseman like Reid wasn't the real shot-caller in Philly. All we ever heard was how much power Reid had and nothing happened without his signing off on it. Laurie was being honest when he said they evaluated the front office moves and got rid of the ones making mistakes (Banner, Reid).

What's everyone hoping we do at the safety position? If we end up with Ha Ha in the first round I think I'd be happy with that pick. That said, it's still a glaring hole, but this might be a good offseason to have that need as it seems like there's a lot of FA Safeties out there. Anyone have a list of FA Safeties, especially guys we could potentially go after?

1. Jairus Byrd

2. T.J. Ward

3. Donte Whitner

4. Antoine Bethea

5. Chris Clemons

6. Malcolm Jenkins

7. Stevie Brown

8. Major Wright

9. Nate Allen

10. Michael Mitchell

11. Charles Woodson

12. Nick Collins

13. Ryan Clark

14. James Ihedigbo

15. Bernard Pollard

16. Usama Young

17. Kendrick Lewis

18. Mike Adams

19. Chris Crocker

20. Yeremiah Bell

21. Quintin Mikell

22. Roman Harper

23. Kerry Rhodes

24. Michael Huff

25. Brandon Meriweather

26. Ryan Mundy

27. Taylor Mays

28. Ed Reed

29. Jim Leonhard

30. Husain Abdullah

31. Darrell Stuckey

32. Sergio Brown

33. Colt Anderson

34. Darian Stewart

35. Craig Steltz

36. Chris Maragos

37. Will Allen

38. Quintin Demps

39. Matt Giordano

40. Reed Doughty

The safety's are there but after listening to Howie it really does seem like he will not spend high dollars for any FA. I don't know with such a deep group what the money will look like but I'd be shocked to see us pay for the top one. One of those 2 will be the highest paid in NFL history at that position IMO.

The safety's are there but after listening to Howie it really does seem like he will not spend high dollars for any FA. I don't know with such a deep group what the money will look like but I'd be shocked to see us pay for the top one. One of those 2 will be the highest paid in NFL history at that position IMO.

I feel that's a smoke screen. We need a safety, 2 pretty good ones out there with a lot of cap space. No need to overplay our hand before the market opens.

Howie said they don't want to go into the draft with the cupboard empty and I think that's the right strategy. If you have nothing, you reach and end up with Jaiquawn Jarrett. I think Nate Allen will be back on a short term deal. I love Colt Anderson's effort but I really hope they don't have to waste a roster spot on a special teams guy. And if they do, he better be a Pro Bowler. Anderson's not. Chung has to be gone.

That means Earl Wolff, Keelan Johnson, and Nate Allen are your safeties. Need to sign at least one and draft at least one.

The top 10 FA safeties according to PFF (age in parenthesis) are:

TJ Ward (27)

Donte Whitner (29)

Jairus Byrd (27)

James Ihedigbo (30)

Chris Clemons (28)

Bernard Pollard (29)

Hussain Abdullah (29)

Rafael Bush (27)

Usama Young (29)

Charles Woodson (37)

Howie said they don't want to go into the draft with the cupboard empty and I think that's the right strategy. If you have nothing, you reach and end up with Jaiquawn Jarrett. I think Nate Allen will be back on a short term deal. I love Colt Anderson's effort but I really hope they don't have to waste a roster spot on a special teams guy. And if they do, he better be a Pro Bowler. Anderson's not. Chung has to be gone.

That means Earl Wolff, Keelan Johnson, and Nate Allen are your safeties. Need to sign at least one and draft at least one.

The top 10 FA safeties according to PFF (age in parenthesis) are:

TJ Ward (27)

Donte Whitner (29)

Jairus Byrd (27)

James Ihedigbo (30)

Chris Clemons (28)

Bernard Pollard (29)

Hussain Abdullah (29)

Rafael Bush (27)

Usama Young (29)

Charles Woodson (37)

Hmm Interesting. Ya I don't think we're going to be able to afford Ward or Byrd, but you never know. Seems like we have so much cap space, such a need, and such a huge market, that it doesn't make sense not to go after one or two of the top guys. I think we likely will sign one of the above list... just hoping its not woodson. Byrd would be so awesome!

I guess we have to figure an upcoming Foles contract is going to leave us with less room in the future then we have now though.

So what's the buzz in Philly with regards to re-signings. Any significant rumors/speculation?

Been too busy to keep up on Twitter.

So what's the buzz in Philly with regards to re-signings. Any significant rumors/speculation?

Been too busy to keep up on Twitter.

I think everyone knows Vick's gone. Other than that, they've been quiet. Most people seem to think Maclin will be back on a one year deal.

Me personally? I think Nate Allen, Jeremy Maclin, and Donnie Jones will all be back. Colt Anderson, Kurt Coleman, and Clifton Geathers are all gone. Riley Cooper's the one I can't quite predict one way or the other. It's not unusual for teams to overpay for a guy who has a breakout year during his contact year. But he also has the racial incident so some teams might not be comfortable bringing him in. Right now I'd lean towards him being on another team.

Who would be mad if we were able to draft Eric Ebron? Chip seems to really want to get 2 TE's on the field and this guy looks amazing from what I've seen of him.

Chase Stuart Eagles Prediction

Chase Stuart of Football Perspective put up an interesting post at his site that projects NFL teams wins for the 2014 season. Stuart's objective method involves a formula based on Football Outsiders' DVOA numbers. If you're unfamiliar with the term, read more about DVOA at FO's site. Simply put: DVOA measures a team's strength.
Stuart's used his projection formula to predict the success of NFL teams in 2014. The Eagles finished third overall with a projection of 9.5 wins. They were only behind the two Super Bowl teams: the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos. The Panthers and 49ers ranked below the Eagles to round out the top five. A look how other NFC East teams finished: Cowboys (13), Giants (28), Redskins (29).
Stuart singled out an observation about the Eagles:
The Eagles are projected for nearly one full win more using the DVOA projection (9.5) than Pythagenpat (8.6). That makes some sense, I think, because Philadelphia had excellent offensive pass and rush DVOA grades, and the below-average special teams grade doesn’t mean much. Philadelphia did rank 4th in points, but I think their DVOA grades are farther from the mean than their points scored number indicates.
Stuart cautions that these rankings are far from perfect. There are many factors that can't be predicted: new coaches, scheme changes, player turnover, player development, injuries, regression, etc. But Stuart does maintain these numbers are a useful starting point for a team's 2014 projection as compared to something as a simple look at the 2013 standings.
So what's to glean from all of this? It's hard to say. Football is very hard to predict and things change very fast. But all of the signs seem to point towards the Eagles building on their first year of the Chip Kelly as opposed to taking a step back. Only time will tell if this projection holds true.

OK...we're all pretty much in the same boat with what our draft strategy should be this year and pretty much what positions we need.

With that said....if a guy like Clowney slips to say #5 would you be on board with going to get him? I'm not sure what the cost would be, but I'm sure it would be high, but would you be willing to part with a lot to go get him? If not him, who would you be willing to go get in the 5-10 range?

OK...we're all pretty much in the same boat with what our draft strategy should be this year and pretty much what positions we need.

With that said....if a guy like Clowney slips to say #5 would you be on board with going to get him? I'm not sure what the cost would be, but I'm sure it would be high, but would you be willing to part with a lot to go get him? If not him, who would you be willing to go get in the 5-10 range?

In short: yes. I would be OK climbing the ladder and grabbing a guy like this. Considering his athletic ability, he would not have much problem being an OLB that can be asked to play coverage. Other than him though, I don't want us climbing THAT high for anyone else. In the teens I would be OK making a play for one of the 2 top S's.

No I would not be OK trading up to take him. I think the team still has too many holes to address and like you said, the move would be costly. Maybe if they were 1 defensive play maker away, but they're not. Plus I'm not sold on Clowney with the concerns about his work ethic - which is why he would slip to 5 in the first place (most likely).

In short: yes. I would be OK climbing the ladder and grabbing a guy like this. Considering his athletic ability, he would not have much problem being an OLB that can be asked to play coverage. Other than him though, I don't want us climbing THAT high for anyone else. In the teens I would be OK making a play for one of the 2 top S's.

How about say #8-10 for Mike Evans?

No I would not be OK trading up to take him. I think the team still has too many holes to address and like you said, the move would be costly. Maybe if they were 1 defensive play maker away, but they're not. Plus I'm not sold on Clowney with the concerns about his work ethic - which is why he would slip to 5 in the first place (most likely).

I'm torn on him to be honest with you. Part of me worries about his work ethic and part me thinks that if you stare at a model long enough you're bound to find a flaw. He was basically being scouted for the NFL for 2 full seasons and I'm not sure how real some of these concerns are with him. I thought that if he fell to like 5'ish he would be somewhat pissed and motivated as well.

I also feel like a player of his ability (Mario Williams/ JJ Wyatt) can mask some other holes your team has and open things up for others on that side of the ball.

Obviously if he is a slacker than this trade may define the Chip/ Howie era and ruin the team.

Yea, not a fan of trading up for a WR, there's plenty to be had. Trade up for a safety, or Barr or Mack if they drop into teens.

How about say #8-10 for Mike Evans?

The further he falls past 10 I'd start making phone calls.

Trading up and sacrificing draft picks in this historically deep draft would be a crime, especially with as many needs as this team has on defense.

Trading up and sacrificing draft picks in this historically deep draft would be a crime, especially with as many needs as this team has on defense.

:goodposting:

Yeah, I'd rather not trade up unless a guy like Clowney somehow falls out of the top 8/10 which seems highly unlikely. He's getting drafted earlier than that, if those teams don't want him then someone will move up.

I prefer depth though, this isn't the NHL/NBA, plenty of quality starters can be found in various positions in the middle/late rounds.

Yea, not a fan of trading up for a WR, there's plenty to be had. Trade up for a safety, or Barr or Mack if they drop into teens.

They were the next 2 I was going to mention.

Some stuff from Jeff McLane. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Eagles-Combine-Buzz-Part-I.html

Basically, DeMeco isn't going anywhere, Avant's likely gone, and Chip likes Chris Polk as the #2 RB and some people believe Bryce could get traded.

If they wanted to get rid of Brown I'd be OK with it as long as they got something decent in return. Given his current contract there's no need to be hasty IMO

Some stuff from Jeff McLane. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Eagles-Combine-Buzz-Part-I.html

Basically, DeMeco isn't going anywhere, Avant's likely gone, and Chip likes Chris Polk as the #2 RB and some people believe Bryce could get traded.

If they wanted to get rid of Brown I'd be OK with it as long as they got something decent in return. Given his current contract there's no need to be hasty IMO

Even though I don't see Brown as a great fit under Chip, he's still way more naturally gifted/talented than Polk to me.

What do you possibly think that they would get for him?

What do you possibly think that they would get for him?

I'm thinking at best a conditional pick that could become a 4 or 5 based on his performance. If not a conditional pick I'd say a 5. The demand for a RB simply isnt there and anoyone who would want him would just draft a guy or sign a decent, more proven, FA. The ONLY way he leaves (IMO) is if he starts to becomes more vocal or stops giving a sh!t.

So with that said....would YOU go up and get Mack if hes in the 5-10 range?

What are the chances us making a run at Ware if Jerry really cuts him? Nothing besides a Super Bowl would make me happier than us signing aware and then have him knock out Romo for the season.

So with that said....would YOU go up and get Mack if hes in the 5-10 range?

Needs to drop past 10 to make it worth the tradeup cost