What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official 2014 Philadelphia Eagles Thread ** (2 Viewers)

Damn...can't believe we were 9-3 and ended up here. Also thought this season would answer our questions on Foles and would be looking at a big extension but looks like we go into another season hoping to answer those questions.

Damn...can't believe we were 9-3 and ended up here. Also thought this season would answer our questions on Foles and would be looking at a big extension but looks like we go into another season hoping to answer those questions.
I think Didinger mentioned yesterday that we actually have a lot more questions going into next season than we did last season. Hadn't thought about it, but that seems right.

I think Didinger mentioned yesterday that we actually have a lot more questions going into next season than we did last season. Hadn't thought about it, but that seems right.
Ray like others have very bad memories. Going into last season we had questions about QB. Kicker and the entire D. This year it's secondary and MAYBE QB. Wayyyyy less IMO.

Ray like others have very bad memories. Going into last season we had questions about QB. Kicker and the entire D. This year it's secondary and MAYBE QB. Wayyyyy less IMO.
Yep. Kicker is solved. QB still in flux but not nearly as dire. If Foles at his worst still had us at 6-2, we'll survive. Defense took major strides up front.

Basically secondary, speed wr, what do we do with Shady, can Foles stay healthy. Much better position than last year.

Yep. Kicker is solved. QB still in flux but not nearly as dire. If Foles at his worst still had us at 6-2, we'll survive. Defense took major strides up front. Basically secondary, speed wr, what do we do with Shady, can Foles stay healthy. Much better position than last year.
Do you agree that we're close?

How can anyone feel better about Foles at this point than at the same point last year? I'm still a believer, but nothing was done this year to solidify his position.

Shady is more of an unknown at this point.

The OL never fully got its act together and all those guys are older now.

Maclin is a FA. We need a WR badly.

I think that there are a lot of questions.

Yep. Kicker is solved. QB still in flux but not nearly as dire. If Foles at his worst still had us at 6-2, we'll survive. Defense took major strides up front. Basically secondary, speed wr, what do we do with Shady, can Foles stay healthy. Much better position than last year.
After taking the passion away from the collapse and just analyzing it, I think we are. I'm convinced that with just Foles for 14 games this year, then we're 12-4. Secondary, secondary, secondary should be the mantra all off season. I want to see a 2002 type draft.

How can anyone feel better about Foles at this point than at the same point last year? I'm still a believer, but nothing was done this year to solidify his position.

They'll sign Maclin. They have to. He bet on himself and won.

Shady I think its 50/50 he re does his deal.

Having Lane from the get go and hopefully no injuries early on should help. Need to draft a future guard though.

And Foles, like i said, he played the worst we've seen him in his career. That includes the Reid half season. So just like 2013 is unrealistic high, I don't think he'll play this bad again. And we were still 6-2.

OL and secondary needs to be the focus of this draft/FA season. But any rookie CB isn't going to contribute much from year 1 - has any rookie CB contributed significantly? Seems like there's always a few years of learning curve there. Sign a FA corner, with Watkins maybe better and Boykin - we'll see. The Smith pick is frustrating, if we had a 1st round CB going into year 2, I'd feel much better about our chances of turning this around.

Kendricks, Cox, and Maclin all need good extensions. Shady, I can see us extending/restructuring him to lower his cap hit next 2-3 years - you'd think he knows that i f he goes on the open market he's not getting 10 mil a year. But he may be a knucklehead, so who knows.

We can't do anything about QB - Foles it is. We need those 2nd/3rd round picks to get solid defense and OL prospects.

I'm optimistic for next year. It was a good year just not good enough.

I think Maclin will be back Shady will be gone. Foles is our starter and should be. I see him bouncing back next year. I still believe in Kelly as well. He seems to handle situations well and never get overwhelmed. He just strikes as a guy that will try to make himself better every year which should translate to the teams success.

I'm always looking at the division as I think winning that is goal #1 every year.

Cowboys - No doubt the best in the division right now. But they too have question marks. Romo is getting banged up, Murray may go our at least demand a good salary. Same goes with Bryant. I would love to see the Cows lose one of these guys but at the very least it will chew into their cap number.

Giants- ODB is the only bright spot. This team is nothing to fear.

Redskins- Perfect place for them. A mess.

So with that in mind it will be Cows and Eagles fighting for the title again next year. Depending on how the off season goes the Eagles could be favored to with the division next year.

Just a random thought, Dallas put on that end of season run I hoped we would have had. After getting embarrassed by us, they scored 41, 38, 42 and 44. They beat everyone they played handily and they've been getting enough defense.

They could make a run if Seattle is dealt with.

Just a random thought, Dallas put on that end of season run I hoped we would have had. After getting embarrassed by us, they scored 41, 38, 42 and 44. They beat everyone they played handily and they've been getting enough defense.

Agreed and I think they could beat Seattle as well. Romo is playing great.

Agreed and I think they could beat Seattle as well. Romo is playing great.
Nothing would be more insufferable than an off season where the Cowboys made a surprise Super Bowl run.

They can't let Main go. What's the hit for releasing Cooper?
Cooper can be cut cheaply after next season. He's not getting cut this offseason. Jush (gulp) Huff could be starting next season. He's no Maclin/DeSean level talent. Those guys have stud attributes. Huff is more "ok". He could produce in this offense with Foles.

I'd bet against Maclin leaving, but it's possible we roll out a starting WR group of Cooper- Huff- Matthews next season.

They can't let Main go. What's the hit for releasing Cooper?
Cooper can be cut cheaply after next season. He's not getting cut this offseason.Jush (gulp) Huff could be starting next season. He's no Maclin/DeSean level talent. Those guys have stud attributes. Huff is more "ok". He could produce in this offense with Foles.

I'd bet against Maclin leaving, but it's possible we roll out a starting WR group of Cooper- Huff- Matthews next season.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Here's a pointless question. If you have a player set the rookie record for scoring at his position, shouldn't he be considered for rookie of the year? So what if he's a kicker.

2013: Eagles 10-6. Turnover differential: +12

2014: Eagles 10-6. Turnover differential: -8

I think that shows despite the same record, how much the Eagles improved as an overall team. Keep in mind in both seasons the Eagles have not played with their starting QB the whole season.

Yep. Kicker is solved. QB still in flux but not nearly as dire. If Foles at his worst still had us at 6-2, we'll survive. Defense took major strides up front.Basically secondary, speed wr, what do we do with Shady, can Foles stay healthy. Much better position than last year.
After taking the passion away from the collapse and just analyzing it, I think we are. I'm convinced that with just Foles for 14 games this year, then we're 12-4. Secondary, secondary, secondary should be the mantra all off season. I want to see a 2002 type draft.
I would go BPA. Address holes in free agency.

They'll sign Maclin. They have to. He bet on himself and won.

Shady I think its 50/50 he re does his deal.

Having Lane from the get go and hopefully no injuries early on should help. Need to draft a future guard though.

And Foles, like i said, he played the worst we've seen him in his career. That includes the Reid half season. So just like 2013 is unrealistic high, I don't think he'll play this bad again. And we were still 6-2.
They don't have to. He played well, someone will probably pay him. It doesn't have to be the Eagles. It probably will, and I really like Mac, but they don't have to resign him.

If Maclin doesn't resign, someone will. The #1 WR in this offense produces. Crabtree, Cecil Shorts, Brandon Tate maybe? Weak WR FA class, assuming the studs resign(Thomas, Bryant, Cobb) Think Maclin the cream of what will realistically be available, I'd far prefer him though.

@RoobCSN: Most comp. of 50 yards or more in 2014: Rodgers (9), Foles (7), Stafford (7), Cousins (6). Foles in 8 games. And didn't get to face Eagles.

Maclin is a priority. Cooper should be gone. Find another WR in the draft.
Totally agree on your 1st & 3rd parts. IMO, Cooper is safe for this year. I think they keep him around also because he knows the system, knows Foles & is a good blocker.

Speaking of speedy WRs in the draft, what about Devin Smith?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131740/devin-smith
Couldn't Matthews move outside and put Cooper in the slot? He's a good blocker, would just need a pay cut and maybe alternate with a deep threat we draft.

Late225 said:
Insein said:
Long Ball Larry said:

They'll sign Maclin. They have to. He bet on himself and won.Shady I think its 50/50 he re does his deal.

They don't have to. He played well, someone will probably pay him. It doesn't have to be the Eagles. It probably will, and I really like Mac, but they don't have to resign him.
Unless they plan on overpaying for a guy like Dez, then yea they have to sign him. Matthews, Cooper, Huff as our corps is not acceptable.

Totally agree on your 1st & 3rd parts. IMO, Cooper is safe for this year. I think they keep him around also because he knows the system, knows Foles & is a good blocker.

Couldn't Matthews move outside and put Cooper in the slot? He's a good blocker, would just need a pay cut and maybe alternate with a deep threat we draft.
He has no incentive to take a pay cut. He knows the Eagles can't cut him without a big hit.

He has no incentive to take a pay cut. He knows the Eagles can't cut him without a big hit.
He is easily cut after 2015, if he wants job stability he would consider a pay cut. If not its not like he is at Cole's cap number.

Rex Ryan for DC anyone?
He won't do it. Would be awesome, but sounds like he doesn't want an OC job anymore...
I heard that Andy Reid was considering him for this.
Assuming he meant DC. And I have been hoping for the whole year that Rex came here next year. As long as he's not even allowed near an offensive meeting, or sanchez :P

Any chance that we lose our OC to potential Head Coach Vacancies? I don't think so, but I've seen some people saying he's a candidate in other threads, but I don't really see it.

@RoobCSN: Most comp. of 50 yards or more in 2014: Rodgers (9), Foles (7), Stafford (7), Cousins (6). Foles in 8 games. And didn't get to face Eagles.
I didn't watch the game this week but get this... As of last week Sanchez threw 10 ints. 8 of them came from within 20 yards. This shows he struggles with a lot of throws. 6 of Foles 10 ints were throws beyond 20+ yards. He's trying to get the ball downfield. He not confused with his decisions like a QB like Sanchez. You'll either get a long play, a flag, incompletion, or a pick. Those are good odds.

The picks will happen challenging defenses like he does. He like Andrew Luck minus the love affair. No one seems to get that.

Rex Ryan for DC anyone?
He won't do it. Would be awesome, but sounds like he doesn't want an OC job anymore...
I heard that Andy Reid was considering him for this.
Assuming he meant DC. And I have been hoping for the whole year that Rex came here next year. As long as he's not even allowed near an offensive meeting, or sanchez :P Any chance that we lose our OC to potential Head Coach Vacancies? I don't think so, but I've seen some people saying he's a candidate in other threads, but I don't really see it.
Not sure Rex 's ego could coexist with Chip.

I didn't watch the game this week but get this... As of last week Sanchez threw 10 ints. 8 of them came from within 20 yards. This shows he struggles with a lot of throws.6 of Foles 10 ints were throws beyond 20+ yards. He's trying to get the ball downfield. He not confused with his decisions like a QB like Sanchez. You'll either get a long play, a flag, incompletion, or a pick. Those are good odds.

The picks will happen challenging defenses like he does. He like Andrew Luck minus the love affair. No one seems to get that.
This is too easily lost. While some of those long throws were certainly poor choices, throwing a pick 30 or 40 yards down field is hardly the worst thing that can happen to a team. And when those happen on third down or second and long....well, it's not such a big deal at all then.

I didn't watch the game this week but get this... As of last week Sanchez threw 10 ints. 8 of them came from within 20 yards. This shows he struggles with a lot of throws.6 of Foles 10 ints were throws beyond 20+ yards. He's trying to get the ball downfield. He not confused with his decisions like a QB like Sanchez. You'll either get a long play, a flag, incompletion, or a pick. Those are good odds.

This is too easily lost. While some of those long throws were certainly poor choices, throwing a pick 30 or 40 yards down field is hardly the worst thing that can happen to a team. And when those happen on third down or second and long....well, it's not such a big deal at all then.
I also think that was a part of his off season program of being more aggressive instead of taking sacks (which I still disagree with). He wasn't fully into a comfort zone yet with it. Had he played 6-8 more games this year, I think we would have seen his numbers move closer to his career mean. He'd have probably finished somewhere around 35 TDs, 17 ints.

@ZBerm: Eagles 2015 schedule: Home: DAL, NYG, WSH, NO, TB, AZ, MIA, BUF; Road: DAL, NYG, WSH, ATL, CAR, DET, NE, NYJ.
Nice, pretty decent schedule for us. We've played so well at home this year and not great on the road. Lots of road games are either in domes or very close to home. No Pacific time zone trips next year as Dallas/Atlanta are are furthest games.

The 2 quotes above stood out to me. Foles would have been the league leader in long completions if he had played the full season, and his interceptions tended to be on long throws. I think you definitely take the risk of a long downfield interception for the benefit of a long TD or completion.

And Sanchez was great when he came in for Foles with a couple of long throws to Maclin. He seemed to go away from the deep ball the longer the season went on. I don't think Foles will ever throw 15 six yard completions to Zach Ertz like Sanchez did against Washington.

The 2 quotes above stood out to me. Foles would have been the league leader in long completions if he had played the full season, and his interceptions tended to be on long throws. I think you definitely take the risk of a long downfield interception for the benefit of a long TD or completion.

And Sanchez was great when he came in for Foles with a couple of long throws to Maclin. He seemed to go away from the deep ball the longer the season went on. I don't think Foles will ever throw 15 six yard completions to Zach Ertz like Sanchez did against Washington.
Nope. But if he gets blocking from the oline, he might hit Ertz for 5, 25 yard catches one game.

@LesBowen: If Im Pat Shurmur, I already saw what a head coaching chance amounted to in Cleveland. I want to experience Oakland as well?

@caplannfl: @LesBowen: $$$$, never turn that down.

@LesBowen: @caplannfl I guess. But if id been through a chaotic, pointless mess once, Id sure want next chance to contain an opportunity to succeed.

@LesBowen: If Im Pat Shurmur, I already saw what a head coaching chance amounted to in Cleveland. I want to experience Oakland as well?

@LesBowen: @caplannfl I guess. But if id been through a chaotic, pointless mess once, Id sure want next chance to contain an opportunity to succeed.
Nobody turns down a head coaching job that hasn't won a Super Bowl already. They all have the ego that they'll be the one to turn it around.

Are the Browns still paying Shurmur?

I'm with Les here. If I've already ridden the crapfest carousel once (and got paid), then I'm ok hanging onto an OC job with a better team / atmosphere / owner.

I also think that was a part of his off season program of being more aggressive instead of taking sacks (which I still disagree with). He wasn't fully into a comfort zone yet with it. Had he played 6-8 more games this year, I think we would have seen his numbers move closer to his career mean. He'd have probably finished somewhere around 35 TDs, 17 ints.
Was banging the drum over the last month that Sanchez did not even attempt to stretch the field. Very limited to short/intermediate and nearly all his yardage came from RAC.

And sacks? Despite the *vastly* improved OLine over the last 1/2 of the season due to the return of several key starters, the numbers speak for themselves.

Foles: 311 attempts, 9 sacks

Sanchez: 309 attempts, 23 sacks

@ZBerm: Eagles 2015 schedule: Home: DAL, NYG, WSH, NO, TB, AZ, MIA, BUF; Road: DAL, NYG, WSH, ATL, CAR, DET, NE, NYJ.
Nice, pretty decent schedule for us. We've played so well at home this year and not great on the road. Lots of road games are either in domes or very close to home. No Pacific time zone trips next year as Dallas/Atlanta are are furthest games.
At first glance Dallas, Detroit and NE on the road seem to be the only games the Eagles would be underdogs in.

Lost in the shuffle was a pretty damn good rookie year for Jordan Matthews as well.
Absolutely. 103 targets, 67 rec, 872 yards, 8 TD.

And a good contribution from the IND castoff rookie K they dropped Henery for: Parkey 34-38 FGs (4-4 on 50+...but 2 against WAS were killers!) and 54-54 on PATs.

Just think...Parkey goes 2-3 on week 16 and the Eagles are 11-5 and still playing football, and we'd be saying ran into a pair off buzzsaws in SEA and DAL but then won 2 in a row, on the road, versus division opponents...

The seasons can turn on the smallest things.

Lost in the shuffle was a pretty damn good rookie year for Jordan Matthews as well.
Absolutely. 103 targets, 67 rec, 872 yards, 8 TD.

And a good contribution from the IND castoff rookie K they dropped Henery for: Parkey 34-38 FGs (4-4 on 50+...but 2 against WAS were killers!) and 54-54 on PATs.

Just think...Parkey goes 2-3 on week 16 and the Eagles are 11-5 and still playing football, and we'd be saying ran into a pair off buzzsaws in SEA and DAL but then won 2 in a row, on the road, versus division opponents...

The seasons can turn on the smallest things.
Eagles still would have missed the playoffs since Dallas won their last two and Detroit beat Chicago in week 16.

Users who are viewing this thread