What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: Australian Open - Who opens the new season with a bang (1 Viewer)

Djokovic is a 4 time winner and won last 3, hard to bet against him right now down under. Boris Becker has joined his team.

Nadal trying to complete a second Career Grand Slam set which would make him the third (Laver, Emerson) to do so but first to do so completely within the Open Era. Federer has been trying to add a second French to complete this but it would seem the door has closed.

Speaking of Federer, probably his best shot at another major as he seemed to be breaking down as the season went so going in fresh in the Aussie may be his best shot. His best major last year was here. Adds Edberg to his team meaning Nadal is only Big 4 guy without a major old school name on his team.

Don't see Murray being a serious factor for the title coming off a lay off for his back surgery. He may make late rounds based on being really talented but unless Djokovic and Nadal go down, I don't see him beating either in a SF or Final yet. With Ferrer being so consistent, I think Murray is the quarter that players may secretly want to be drawn into.

The Rest:

Ferrer: No

Del Potro: Biggest threat outside Djokovic and Nadal but still can drop a match to anyone unexpectedly.

Berdych: Probably gets his fourth straight QF showing but no more unless he gets chance at Murray (actually leads 6-4)

Tsonga: Former Finalist but I've given up hope he ever becomes a consistent threat.

Draw ceremony is going on now but holy crap they are dragging the start out with a bunch of nonsense.

Last edited:
Patrick Mcenroe insisting that 2013 was pure #### luck for Ferrer and he's going to have a tough year. Not sure I agree. In spite of his height, he may be the most athletic guy on the tour and he's in the easiest quarter of the draw by far.

Patrick Mcenroe insisting that 2013 was pure #### luck for Ferrer and he's going to have a tough year. Not sure I agree. In spite of his height, he may be the most athletic guy on the tour and he's in the easiest quarter of the draw by far.
Agreed. I don't think Ferrer will be a major threat to Novak, Nadal, or a healthy Murray but he can compete with everyone else on the tour consistently.

Agreed. I don't think Ferrer will be a major threat to Novak, Nadal, or a healthy Murray but he can compete with everyone else on the tour consistently.
If he has a bad year, don't think it is because 2013 was a luck year, he turns 32 in April and plays a physical grinding game due to his lack of offensive weapons. Not even sure what McEnroe is basing that on, does he think 2012 (18-4 in majors compared to 19-4 in 2013 - both years made at least QF in all, 14-6 in Master 1000 and a win vs 13-8 in 2013 with 2 Finals) was lucky too?

Ferrer could drop quickly if he loses a step or two, he just doesn't have that big weapon to lean on (well, his is his legs and tenacity) where he can win a ton of points just being great at a single shot. He's good at a lot of shots and great in getting in position to make them quality enough where he can chase down the response from his opponent.

I could see him having a tough year but Ferrer always seems to over achieve. Never would have thought he would be able to finish consecutive years of year end rankings of 5, 5, and 3 but that's what he has done. Easily the best non-Big 4 player the last 3 years. With Ferrer at nearly 32, guys with big games like Tsonga, Berdych, and Del Potro should pass him being in their prime but can they? Not so far.

At least we're getting new Visit Melbourne commercials this year, I don't think I could have taken another two weeks of I wanna know where you go when you're gone.

Starting to get to the juicy matches of the tournament. Federer-Tsonga should be fun. Quite the tough road for Federer to win the tourney with a possible road of Tsonga/Murray/Nadal/Djokovic ahead.

Djokovic-Fognini might not be the closest match but Fognini certainly can be entertaining.

On the women's side Ivanovic has the fire power to make an interesting match vs Serena but likely not the consistency. Potential there but no holding my breath.

Kind of the same story for Cibulkova vs Sharapova, tons of potential for a hard hitting back and forth match.

Stephens-Azarenka should be a fun battle.

Supposedly her back is such a problem right now she almost pulled out. Shocking this was leaked moments before her press conference after the loss and she could act surprised when asked that anyone knew about it. Wonder how fast her coach tracked down the reporter to make sure the excuse was out there.

Watching the match last night, I couldn't get over just how bigger Serena was than the Hot Serb. Her legs looked like a linebackers. I know Serena has always been a big girl but her continued dominance at this late age really makes me think she is using PEDs.

Watching the match last night, I couldn't get over just how bigger Serena was than the Hot Serb. Her legs looked like a linebackers. I know Serena has always been a big girl but her continued dominance at this late age really makes me think she is using PEDs.
I think the odds are very good she's on something.

Serena is the reason I don't watch women's tennis. Awful. We've done this before but the screeching is ####### terrible.

Genie Bouchard might be the reason I come back.

Dmitrov could knock off Murray the way he is playing.

Federer v Tsonga is a great match up. Can't wait.

Serena is the reason I don't watch women's tennis. Awful. We've done this before but the screeching is ####### terrible.

I would say Serena "screeches" less than most.

Master of Past and Present said:
Starting to get to the juicy matches of the tournament. Federer-Tsonga should be fun. Quite the tough road for Federer to win the tourney with a possible road of Tsonga/Murray/Nadal/Djokovic ahead.
Federer is the green bit at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how bad is the USA's men's tennis situation?

Who do we have left right now in the Aus Open?
We are screwed.

Donald Young is a head case.

Isner is one of the best servers on tour but can't break a serve. He lacks aggression in his return game. If he developed that, he'd be a slam contender. But at this rate, it's just not coming together. It's a shame because I like him a lot.

Querry, Sock, Russell are life time 30-100 ranks.

I'm not sure if there's any other young guys on the come. But it's brutal. The days of Samprass/agassi/Courier/Chang are missed very much.

It's terrible.

Less than most? No way. She's a top 10 screecher
I always think I'm watching Ric Flair when I watch Azarenka.

Less than most? No way. She's a top 10 screecher
I can't name 10 women's screeches so can't argue with that but she's not even in the same universe with Azarenka, Sharapova, or Errani

this tournament sure is hard to watch with the times it is on.

I'm rooting for Nole to win the men's.. and it's hard to see how we don't get another djokadal final.

Frankly, it wouldn't be surprising to me if we got 3 djokadal finals this year barring injury... those 2 are just head and shoulders above.

I've lost any hope an american male will be good this year... and I've lost all hope Federer is a threat at major anymore...

So really I just tune in to root against Nadal and that's not very fun.

saw the highlights and that was a nice match from Federerer

I don't know where Murray's level is at right now, but that QF has a chance to be a compelling match.

Nothing would surprise me in that match... from Federer winning in straights because murray isn't match tested from teh surgery.. to Federer having a huge letdown match and losing in straights.

But for one night only, that was a nice performance from the old man.

saw the highlights and that was a nice match from Federerer

I don't know where Murray's level is at right now, but that QF has a chance to be a compelling match.

Nothing would surprise me in that match... from Federer winning in straights because murray isn't match tested from teh surgery.. to Federer having a huge letdown match and losing in straights.

But for one night only, that was a nice performance from the old man.
I watched most of it and Fed was great. Problem is you can't base anything on a match against Tsonga - dude is a mental midget most of the time.

Here's Genie back in Movember on TSN show (Off the Record with Michael L)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ga2XjSyroQc#t=62

:wub:
wow can't believe i've missed this up until now

I only saw the 5th but it was some great tennis!

I appreciated Stan ending nole's semifinal streak, that was good for the fed legacy.

What was bad is that I am worried that just handed this tourney to Ralph.

Love watching Djokovic play but really happy to see Wawrinka pull one of these out. Nothing against Berdych but it would be a shame if he couldn't get through that match and take his shot at winning a major. Outside the top 3, he certainly seems like the guy right now who can pull out two of these matches in a tournament against the top 3 and best part is, he wouldn't have to do it back to back.

Divitrov finally makes his first major QF filling some of the promise, curious what he brings today. Nadal is 3-0 against him but not one of those wins were straight sets. Hard to think Divitrov can take three but if he can keep it tight, who knows, maybe he could ride it to the end. He certainly not going to be lacking confidence.

No idea on Murray-Federer. The way Tsonga looked, hard to say either guy has really been tested, pretty easy draws for both. Haven't been able to gauge how good Murray is from his back surgery. Probably have to pencil in Federer as the favorite because he did look very good against whatever effort Tsonga gave and he for once in the past year or so he's facing a guy with a bigger question mark about his back than him.

This could be fate trying to give him one more. Beat Murray right now may not take the effort it normally would and with Novak out,he may only need to beat one of the other big 4 guys in terms of being in big 4 form. Huge opportunity to get #18. And if Dimitrov can pull off the upset, he'll step on court as the new tournament favorite.

Stan's backhand was just blistering in that final round.. really sharp... I hope he can take out Byrdych and make a final.. mainly because i think Tomas is a tool.

If Nadal wins tonight like he should, I'd just as soon Federer not win because i never want to see a Fedal match again.

I can only hope Murray is in good enough form to them beat Ralph... but realistically I'd say Nads is a HUGE favorite at this point to win.

Stan's backhand was just blistering in that final round.. really sharp... I hope he can take out Byrdych and make a final.. mainly because i think Tomas is a tool.

If Nadal wins tonight like he should, I'd just as soon Federer not win because i never want to see a Fedal match again.

I can only hope Murray is in good enough form to them beat Ralph... but realistically I'd say Nads is a HUGE favorite at this point to win.
Nadal is currently about a coin flip. -110 to win it all. A good bet at this stage?

Users who are viewing this thread