What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: Australian Open - Who opens the new season with a bang (1 Viewer)

So Dmitrov is now knocking on the big 4s door right along with Stan in that 2nd tier?

Not sure about Milos, he doesn't look much better than Isner when it comes to breaking serve which is Isners biggest issue and the reason he's never made it to a major semi.

What else did we like?

Woke up later than expected and didn't catch up to live action. Some thoughts.

Set 1: Djokovic gave it away. Up 5-4 and Fed serving, he ad a couple of rally errors that just were awful. At least should have had a break point or two and maybe he doesn't convert up but maybe he wins the set right there. Tiebreak was similar, too many bad errors for no reason.

Set 2: Djokovic again had a terrible error and this time on break point in the first game. Worse yet, ends up with a bad fall later in a game he should have already won. Gets the break second service game though and he really starts to clean up the rally errors some. That is until he serves for the set and gets wild for no reason. Some good serving keeps him from further rallies to take the set.

Set 3: Pretty boring set until game 11 where Djokovic got to break point but Federer saves with serves. In the tiebreak we see Djokovic strong in the rallies and Federer spray a couple. Feels maybe like a set Federer should have won but not overwhelmingly since he can't seem to get on Djokovic's service games and Djokovic still had break chance in the set. The way this match has gone, certainly feels like a set Federer had to have to win.

Set 4: In game 4, Federer saves what feels like 3 match points with good play but can't on the 4th. But plays his worst service game right after. Federer played aggressive though for the first time all match it seems. Gets a break again but Djokovic has completely lost the serve he had for the first 3.5 sets. Looks like the making of an epic collapse.

Set 5: So I have Djokovic winning a set, giving 2 sets away, and a set that maybe Federer 51-49 plays better but could have been 51-49 Djokovic too. How the heck are we in a 5th? And for the first time all match I would even favor Federer just because Djokovic could be fighting a major mental battle right now and Federer is on a free roll. In the end though, probably best for Djokovic that he doesn't need to serve it out and breaks for the win and to escape an epic choke. Right guy certainly won but he made it really hard on himself.

This match was always on Djokovik's racket. For most of it it seems like Federer was content with hitting pretty safe, not being aggressive where he might hit a ton of errors. Almost got him to the top today but maybe he should have been late 4th set through the match. Djokovic wasn't handling pressure very well and he didn't seem to put him in that spot enough.

Tourney thought: Court really should be in better shape for the SF and F rounds. Not sure what the answer is because not like you can't play on it week 1. Too many slips in the biggest matches though. Even down a set, I think Djokovic was the favorite when he took his spill.

So Dmitrov is now knocking on the big 4s door right along with Stan in that 2nd tier?

Not sure about Milos, he doesn't look much better than Isner when it comes to breaking serve which is Isners biggest issue and the reason he's never made it to a major semi.

What else did we like?
He can always be a threat for a run like this but I think Milos has a long way to go before a consistent threat. Isner comparison is right on, he needs to improve a few parts of his game to really be up there.

Wimbledon; only had to go through one of Djokovic, Murray, Nadal; no obvious new entrants into top tier this year; played really well in the final...hard to imagine more going right for Federer at a major than this tournament.

But he still didn't win. Don't think he'll win another one now.
Hard to say that since he is in the top 4 right now for at least a few majors I would think. All he needs to happen is the Nadal/Murray/Djokovic potential SF opponent to lose before the SF and he's got the chance to only beat 1. Problem for Federer is 1 is all it should take, they all should beat him in a best of 5 at this point.

So 2 American juniors in the finals? I don't know much about Rubin. But I'm officially off the Isner train. 5 years ago he was one of my favorite athletes but his inability to break a serve is just the most frustrating thing to watch.

Isn't there a coach out there that he can get to help with that aspect of his game? Call up Brad Gilbert; call up Andre Agassi (obviously they aren't coaching, but they can teach a return better than anyone on this planet)... Anything to be a better returner at this point and he can make noise in a major before the back end of his career starts.

American tennis sucks.

For the women, God I hope Serena is done. Even worse than her court behavior over the years are the post game pressers where she is so demure and la-di-da/talk in a monotone voice like I don't GAF about anything voice and everyone is an idiot.

Sorry... Rambling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder when someone born in the 90s will win a men's GS? Petra Kvitová has 2, but it certainly doesn't seem imminent on ATP side.

Wimbledon; only had to go through one of Djokovic, Murray, Nadal; no obvious new entrants into top tier this year; played really well in the final...hard to imagine more going right for Federer at a major than this tournament.

But he still didn't win. Don't think he'll win another one now.
Kind of agree with this.. however I was surprised he made a final this year.. i really thought with the brand new twins that he would have a hard time having enough energy even with the high dollar nannies he has or making a deep run.

You are right that a lot of things worked out in his favor.. namely Nadal getting beat early (although this is no longer a shock at Wimbledon) and only having to face really one tier 1 guy.

I agree that while Federer had his chances today, that the match always felt like it was on Djoker's racquet....

It could just has easily been a tight but straight set win as it was a 5 set epic.

Once Federer was broken in the 2nd set I never thought Federer was really leading the match again... but I went into the 5th set with hope... but I should've known better as Federer's record in 5 set matches (especially finals) is shockingly poor for someone who's had as much success as he has.

I think Federer could still compete at Wimbledon for 1-2 more seasons.. I honestly think it's the only major he could still win as Novak, Rafa, and even Murray are too good on hard courts... and while he is an excellent player on clay his results on that surface have continued to decline since 2011.

Looks like Nadal won't be able to successfully defend his US Open points. If he misses it, he'd lose 4000 points since he won Canada, Cincy, and the Open last year. He's 6600 points ahead of #3 right now so he may not drop in rankings though depending on who gains points.

Tom Perrotta@TomPerrotta 21m
Rafael Nadal injured his wrist in practice, will miss Toronto and Cincy. Has to wear a cast. U.S. Open still possible, but tough ask.

Looks like Nadal won't be able to successfully defend his US Open points. If he misses it, he'd lose 4000 points since he won Canada, Cincy, and the Open last year. He's 6600 points ahead of #3 right now so he may not drop in rankings though depending on who gains points.

Tom Perrotta@TomPerrotta 21m
Rafael Nadal injured his wrist in practice, will miss Toronto and Cincy. Has to wear a cast. U.S. Open still possible, but tough ask.
I fapped to that tweet.

My guess is we don't see him play until January... he doesn't really care for the indoor swing anyway.

:lmao:

Dentist- which would you rather see first, a Kate Upton playboy pictorial, or Nadal's retirement?
Upton peaked 3 years ago.. there's plenty of nudity on the net... I'll take Nadal's retirement.

but that's too easy.

what you should propose is:

would you rather have sex with kate upton or have Nadal pull a lance armstrong and admit massive ped use and have to relinquish all his titles, many of which they would then award to Federer?

wow... that's tough.

Fed looked very good in sets 1 and 3 against Ferrer yesterday.
set 2 was strange... really got away from him there.

Overall he's definitely playing better than he was last season for one

second.. with rafa out of the tournament that always increases his chances of winning because it's a guy he can't beat in a best of 5 format anymore.

Federer destroyed Murray so he doesn't seem like too much of a threat right now

Now.. someone like Tsonga or Byrdych can definitely come in and beat Federer in a slam.. so making the final is certainly no given... but the big wild card is Nole.. he won Wimbledon.. but between the marriage, the upcoming baby.. and maybe some complacency after winning Wimbledon.. he's looked soft in the warm-ups.

then again Rafa looked soft at the warm ups to RG and still won.. so I'd still favor Nole to win until proven otherwise... but Federer has to know that tournaments like Wimbledon and this year's USO are the type of opportunities he has to capitalize on if he does want to win #18

ATP World Tour@ATPWorldTour 27m
2012 titlist @andy_murray, in @DjokerNole’s quarter at @USOpen, meets @robin_haase in 1R. http://bit.ly/1oV8fMv #atp

TENNIS.com@Tennis 6m
Cheat sheet: Federer's half of draw does NOT include Djokovic, Tsonga, Murray, Wawrinka, Raonic...or Rafa. #usopen

TENNIS.com@Tennis 6m
Federer could face Dimitrov in QFs, Berdych or Ferrer in SFs. Overall, though, belated birthday gift from the USTA.

Sounds like quite the gift for Federer, enough of a easy draw to make him the favorite with everything in Djokovic's way?

ATP World Tour@ATPWorldTour 27m
2012 titlist @andy_murray, in @DjokerNole’s quarter at @USOpen, meets @robin_haase in 1R. http://bit.ly/1oV8fMv #atp

TENNIS.com@Tennis 6m
Cheat sheet: Federer's half of draw does NOT include Djokovic, Tsonga, Murray, Wawrinka, Raonic...or Rafa. #usopen

TENNIS.com@Tennis 6m
Federer could face Dimitrov in QFs, Berdych or Ferrer in SFs. Overall, though, belated birthday gift from the USTA.

Sounds like quite the gift for Federer, enough of a easy draw to make him the favorite with everything in Djokovic's way?
I think it was a great draw for Federer... but so was his Wimbledon draw.. it's sure nice for Fed to be back in the top 2 of seeds... #1 and 2 really do have easier paths most of the time.

Until proven otherwise I still think that Nole is the #1 player, the most recent slam champion, has made the last 3 finals of this event (winning 1), and is the best player currently playing in this tournament... and is the man to beat.

But there is a chance that he has a Wimbledon hangover like Murray did last season... is too mentally distracted with the wedding/baby and if so this is again as good of a chance as Federer has to win #18.

When Nadal isn't in the draw and Murray still hasn't fully recovered to form...... all it would take is a wild Novak upset like at the AO and it's Fed's tourney to lose... but there are 2nd tier guys like Tsonga, Byrdych, Wawrinka... that can beat the guy on the right day... It's not like this is 2008-9-10 Federer we're talking about here.. the guy has still lost 2 masters 1000 finals to 2nd tier guys.

These last two majors couldn't have set up any better for Fed. If he doesn't get this one he'd done. Next year he'll be a year older, plus Nadal might not be injured, plus he may not get these cake draws.

C'mon Fed, give us one more!

These last two majors couldn't have set up any better for Fed. If he doesn't get this one he'd done. Next year he'll be a year older, plus Nadal might not be injured, plus he may not get these cake draws.

C'mon Fed, give us one more!
I can agree with this.

However.. I'm shocked at the ESPN experts.. 6 of 11 pick Federer.. a guy who hasn't won a major in 2 seasons, has lost several finals this season, and who hasn't won the USO in 6 seasons.

I think he has as good of a shot as he can possibly have but I'd still be a tad surprised if he actually lifted the winner's trophy... It was almost too good to be true with him in that Wimbledon final.. a match I really thought he would win.. and still am bummed he didn't win once he staged that miracle comeback and pushed it to the 5th set.

Great match between Raonic & Nishikori.

Labor Day night at Ashe is the greatest. There's not a single fan in the upper bowl. Ushers walk around giving out passes to the lioge & courtside seats. I was front row baseline for a Rafa match a few years ago that started at 10:30 (rain delays).

Does Fed play anyone until the finals?

Putting Murray and Wanka both in Novak's side is weak by the US Open.

But - everyone loves Fed!

Does Fed play anyone until the finals?

Putting Murray and Wanka both in Novak's side is weak by the US Open.

But - everyone loves Fed!
Berdych and Dimitrov are probably the only two with a realistic shot at pushing Federer. Berdych can sometimes put that special match together against the big guys and Dimitrov is rising and filling some of the potential we've heard he has for years.

Any of the other 5 probably lucky to take a set.

With Stan going out, seems to lock up Player of the Year for Djokovic now doesn't it? Only one left that can win two majors this year and even if he doesn't his Master 1000 success seems to be better than anyone else.

That was quite the match between Stan and Nishikori

God dang the US Open to Hades and back.

1-1 after breakers and it's midnight. Terrible idea to start a mens match with 4 hour potential this late.

Amazing how much one long match can throw things off. Night session easily looking to be on time after first two matches on Ashe and then Nishikori and Stan go 5 sets and four hours and all of a sudden night session starts late.

Amazing how much one long match can throw things off. Night session easily looking to be on time after first two matches on Ashe and then Nishikori and Stan go 5 sets and four hours and all of a sudden night session starts late.
It's such a shame there's only one tennis court in all of Queens.

Why does Murray have "nothing in the legs"? Is Djokovic just in much better shape?

It's such a shame there's only one tennis court in all of Queens.
The smart thing to do would be singles-singles-doubles and then just switch doubles to another court if singles run long. But the reason doubles is first is so those who don't care can come in later than the 11am start.

Bummer. Those first two sets were riveting..

Hoping to see Djoker-Feds under the lights for the title.

How much longer are they going to let Serena play in the women's bracket?
:lmao:

She needs one more grand slam to pass Fed for most all time but I think there should be an asterisk in the record books, she won most of them against females. :o

jon_mx said:
How much longer are they going to let Serena play in the women's bracket?
:lol:

Though it is kind of amazing that everyone picks her as the dominant favorite every major and since 2011, she has only made the QFs in 50% of the majors she played in.

Users who are viewing this thread