What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (1 Viewer)

ebsteelers

Footballguy
http://thelantern.com/2014/01/ohio-states-carlos-hyde-im-looking-forward-next-step-life/

Nobody remembers who scaled Mount Everest after Sir Edmund Hillary.

Now the Ohio State football team and coach Urban Meyer head into the offseason with a few question marks on their roster, potentially none bigger than the loss of their own Hillary — senior running back Carlos Hyde.

Hyde became the first running back under Meyer to run for more than 1,000 yards in a single season, finishing off the season as a leader with 1,521 yards in 2013.

Meyer said Hyde has grown up as a player during his time in Columbus.

“(He’s) completely different,” Meyer said Nov. 18. “First off, he’s more mature. I love Carlos. He was immature a couple years ago — like very immature. (Now) he handles his business.”

Although missing the first three games of the season because of a suspension that stemmed from an incident at a Columbus bar in July, Hyde managed to put together what ranks as the seventh greatest season rushing the ball by an OSU player.

He also finishes his career sixth in career rushing yards, just two behind former Buckeye great Keith Byars.

After the Nov. 16 matchup against Illinois when Hyde hit 1,000 yards, the running back said he played like he had to make up for something.

“You know, during my suspension I told myself it’s still possible,” Hyde said. “You just got to go even harder now. That’s exactly how I play … my mindset is, ‘I got to make up time.’ So that’s how I play.”

During the 60-35 victory against Illinois, Hyde had what was potentially his greatest game as an OSU player, rushing for 246 net yards, tied for the third highest single game total in OSU history.

“I watched film and we have a cut out where it’s all explosive runs and I saw other teams have a lot of success on their running plays,” Hyde said. “I kept that in the back of my mind, ‘Just be patient on your runs and let it come to you, and when it comes, just explode.’ That’s exactly what I did.”

Initially after returning from suspension, Hyde was still limited in the offense, only rushing for a combined 126 yards in his first two games back. Hyde ran for more than that two game total in five of the remaining nine games, never failing to eclipse 100 yards.

His run of games breaching the century mark began in a tough battle against then-No. 15 Northwestern. With the Buckeyes trailing 23-13 midway through the third quarter, Meyer turned to Hyde to bring OSU back into the game.

Hyde went on to score three second half touchdowns, to go along with 168 rushing yards on the day, and help push OSU over the top for the 40-30 victory.

After the victory, Hyde was emotional, lamenting the opportunities he missed because of the suspension.

“That suspension, it really hurt not being out there with my brothers because I made a mistake,” Hyde said. “It was one of the hardest things I’ve had to go through.”

Now the Buckeyes have to replace their workhorse running back, and his backup, redshirt-senior Jordan Hall.

Although OSU does have young talent returning at running back in freshmen Dontre Wilson and Ezekiel Elliott, Hyde will not be an easy piece of the puzzle to replace.

However, the Buckeyes kick off their season hoping to do just that on Aug. 30 against Navy. Meanwhile, Hyde will have to wait until the 2014 NFL Draft in May to discover his fate. He is rated as a second or third round prospect by CBSSports.

Hyde said after the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl his final season with OSU was a success but that he is looking forward to what comes next.

“Like I said earlier during the season, this season reminds me of my senior year in high school,” Hyde said. “I almost finished pretty much like I finished my senior year in high school, close to 1,600 yards and like 18 touchdowns. So I think I had a pretty good career my last year here.

“I’m looking forward to the next step in my life.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Carlos Hyde*, RB, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 242.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Projected Round (2014): 2-4.

12/21/13: Hyde was suspended for the first three games of the season. Since returning to the lineup for the Buckeyes, he has run over the Big Ten. Hyde had huge games against Northwestern (26-168), Iowa (24-149) and Purdue (16-147). Against Illinois, he was completely dominant. Hyde totaled 247 yards on 24 carries with four touchdowns on the ground. As a receiver, he had two receptions for 26 yards and a score.

The powerful Hyde is a one-cut downhill runner who can pick up yards after contact. The question will be if he has enough speed to be a featured runner in the NFL. Hyde has averaged 7.8 yards per carry for 1,290 yards with 14 touchdowns. He also has 13 receptions for 107 yards and two scores.

8/3/13: Hyde was bumped down the rankings some because of off-the-field issues. He was a named a person of interest in a reported assault of a woman at a Columbus bar, but police have stated that Hyde won't be charged with a crime. Head coach Urban Meyer had suspended Hyde from all team activities, but one can safety assume that Hyde will be reinstated. It remains to be seen if Ohio State will suspend him from any games to open the season for this brush up. The incident will still start up off-the-field questions with NFL scouts.

Hyde is a big, downhill, power back. He averaged 5.2 yards per carry for 970 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2012. Hyde is a good short-yardage and goal-line back, but may not have enough speed for the next level. He is very tough to bring down and constantly runs through tackles. For the NFL, Hyde should trim down to get quicker.

Personal: Majoring in criminology. Son of Dermida Hyde and Carlos Britton.

I thought he seems like a good fit with a team like the Titans or for some reason the Falcons come to mind as I dont think Jackson has much left on his tires.

Another team I'd consider would be the Texans, tates gone, new coach , new system.

A place where he could see a lot of burn.

Nice back, but he has very little explosiveness. It's a shame because everything else is there. He has the size, footwork, and versatility. Just doesn't have any real burst or a second gear. I've seen some suggestions that he could be a 1st round value. I'll be surprised if he goes that high.

He should be solid but with a lack of speed and explosiveness he shouldn't go until the 3rd imo.

he's a tough runner and a grinder.

not an elite talent, but could be a workhorse for a few years.

not a bad value in the second round, if he falls to the third i think he's well worth a pick.

I like him very much. I too would love a little more burst or long speed, but I am targeting him this year depending on who he goes to.

Nice back, but he has very little explosiveness. It's a shame because everything else is there. He has the size, footwork, and versatility. Just doesn't have any real burst or a second gear. I've seen some suggestions that he could be a 1st round value. I'll be surprised if he goes that high.
Agree 100 % I honestly stay away fron OSU RB's and anyone from Alabama. They don't seam to transition to for the next level well

He is everything Eddie Lacy is except he has chops in the receiving game. If he goes to a good spot I am almost certainly picking him or Evans third.

He is everything Eddie Lacy is except he has chops in the receiving game. If he goes to a good spot I am almost certainly picking him or Evans third.
Everything Lacy is? Lacy is a Rookie of the Year and 1,000 yard back in the NFL. While I'm not saying Hype wont be good in the NFL, I'm saying comparing him to a RB who exploded and showed he is exceptional at the NFL level is a big step.

Everything Lacy is? Lacy is a Rookie of the Year and 1,000 yard back in the NFL. While I'm not saying Hype wont be good in the NFL, I'm saying comparing him to a RB who exploded and showed he is exceptional at the NFL level is a big step.
As a prospect. Hyde has shown the ability to run through tackles too. Lacy worried me because I thought he was a one note back, but his run over you style translated, he doesn't slow down even after taking a few hits. I see the same out of Hyde.

Agree 100 % I honestly stay away fron OSU RB's and anyone from Alabama. They don't seam to transition to for the next level well

Eddie George and Eddie Lacy?

:goodposting:

Leroy Hoard said:
Could be the thunder for a team that already has the lightning.
Miami. Lamar Miller/Carlos Hyde.
if he goes to Miami he will become the starter, Miller looking more and more like he will never develop.I think Chicago would be interesting. Houston too.
Miller showed some flashes last year. Could be a decent COP type, getting 10-12 carries a game. He averaged 4 YPC behind a historically horrible OL. Agreed that Hyde would be the main man in that RBBC, but the thunder/lightning concept fits that situation.

Actually my favorite OSU back was Robert Smith. He averaged 5yds a carry and was defiantly a game changer whenever he had the ball in his hand. Unfortunately Eddie George started out great but regressed because of being overly used. This seems to be the case with all the RB's today, 2-3 years and find a new one

Leroy Hoard said:
if he goes to Miami he will become the starter, Miller looking more and more like he will never develop.I think Chicago would be interesting. Houston too.
Miller showed some flashes last year. Could be a decent COP type, getting 10-12 carries a game. He averaged 4 YPC behind a historically horrible OL. Agreed that Hyde would be the main man in that RBBC, but the thunder/lightning concept fits that situation.
miller came into the league with a football iq problem and it has not gotten better, his vision is awful.

Agree 100 % I honestly stay away fron OSU RB's and anyone from Alabama, not named Eddie. They don't seam to transition to for the next level well

Fixed the original, HTH

Leroy Hoard said:
miller came into the league with a football iq problem and it has not gotten better, his vision is awful.
Dont know about his IQ, but you are definitely right about his vision. Good raw materials though. You could do worse with a COP guy.

Rotoworld:

When asked on Twitter for a player comparison to Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said that Carlos Hyde reminded him of "Ryan Mathews."
"Studied more tape on Carlos Hyde...love his burst through the hole and he has some wiggle at the 2nd level to avoid tackles. My top running back," Jeremiah added in another tweet. Our own Josh Norris also has Carlos Hyde as his No.1 rated running back in this years draft, as well. Norris compares Hydes skill set to Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde is the only running back he'd consider taking in the top-60 picks.

"There is only one running back I'd consider taking in the top-60 picks this year - Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde. Plenty of quality running backs in 3rd-5th rounds," Brugler tweeted. Hyde has a good chance to be the first RB off the board in this years draft. After an impressive Pro Day, some scouts believe he could even go in the first-round. Our own Josh Norris has compared Hyde to Zac Stacy and Frank Gore and also believes he'll be the first running back off the board.

Mar 10 - 10:48 AM

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock believes Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde improved his stock at Ohio State's pro day and projects the Buckeyes' star as a late-first-round to mid-second-round pick.

Hyde, who didn't run the forty at the event, is Mayock's No. 2-rated running back. "What's really important for a high-level tailback, if you want to be a three-down back in the NFL, you've got to catch the football," Mayock said. "What he showed today is that he's a natural catcher." NFL Media analysts Bucky Brooks and Charles Davis both have Hyde staying local and going No. 26 to the Browns.

Mar 8 - 8:39 PM

Source: NFL.com
Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay believes Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde compares to Houston Texan's RB Arian Foster.
"OSU RB Hyde's skill set similar to Arian Foster. Obviously size/power, but also lateral agility and body control to quickly get in/out of creases," McShay tweeted. Our own Josh Norris has compared Hyde to Zac Stacy and Frank Gore and believes he'll be the No. 1 senior running back selected.

Source: Todd McShay on Twitter

Feb 28 - 12:25 PM

Leroy Hoard said:
Dont know about his IQ, but you are definitely right about his vision. Good raw materials though. You could do worse with a COP guy.
IQ and health were apparently the reasons he plummeted in the draft after many thought he was a round two talent.

LeGarrete Blount 2.0, IMO. Not much wiggle there, its all power and size. good balance too. Can he overpower NFL defenses? I'm skeptical.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde is the only running back to earn a top-two round grade from ESPN.com's Todd McShay.
McShay sees a potential marriage between Hyde and the Ravens. "In new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak’s zone-blocking scheme, getting a guy who can patiently wait for the creases to open up and then accelerate through the hole once they do is paramount," he wrote. "Hyde would be a perfect fit as a second-round pick, but if they wait until later, [FSU's Devonta] Freeman and [Washington's Bishop] Sankey are two good options." Hyde is the consensus No. 1 RB in the class. He's been compared to Le'Veon Bell, Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

Source: ESPN Insider

msommer said:
Dr. Octopus said:
mr fancypants said:
Agree 100 % I honestly stay away fron OSU RB's and anyone from Alabama, not named Eddie. They don't seam to transition to for the next level well

Fixed the original, HTH
Shaun Alexander and Robert Smith say hi.

msommer said:
Dr. Octopus said:
mr fancypants said:

Fixed the original, HTH
Do I really need to go through all the flame outs these schools have produced?

mr fancypants said:

ohio state has only had 3 nfl quality rbs in the past 25 years. The first two were pretty damn good (both near hof-worthy) in eddie george and robert smith. Beanie got derailed by injures, but flashed a bit of talent while healthy. I definitely see Hyde as closer in talent to those 3 than any of the others on the Antonio Pittman level.

msommer said:
Dr. Octopus said:
mr fancypants said:

Fixed the original, HTH
Go right ahead. It will be just as irrelevant as the first time you brought it up.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde is the only running back to earn a top-two round grade from ESPN.com's Todd McShay.
McShay sees a potential marriage between Hyde and the Ravens. "In new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak’s zone-blocking scheme, getting a guy who can patiently wait for the creases to open up and then accelerate through the hole once they do is paramount," he wrote. "Hyde would be a perfect fit as a second-round pick, but if they wait until later, [FSU's Devonta] Freeman and [Washington's Bishop] Sankey are two good options." Hyde is the consensus No. 1 RB in the class. He's been compared to...Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

:oldunsure:

The most realistic hyper-optimistic comparison I've seen is Arian Foster. Another slow guy with good feet, balance, and receiving ability.

Seems fantasy people are down on Hyde, yet very high on Lache Seastrunk.

NFL people are very high on Hyde and low on Seastrunk.

What is going on here, is this a case of the general public being too focused on combine numbers?

I think Seastrunk is a little overrated around here (and I was guilty of that for a long time). He is not very highly-regarded by NFL.com, CFN, or Draft Scout. I was a little surprised to see him as #6 or 7 overall in one of the rookie polls on here, but I don't think that will hold between now and mid May. Especially if he goes in the 3rd round of the NFL draft. Having said all that, he's probably the most explosive of the big name RB prospects in this draft and I think FF people are intrigued by the ceiling.

Rotoworld:

McShay sees a potential marriage between Hyde and the Ravens. "In new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiaks zone-blocking scheme, getting a guy who can patiently wait for the creases to open up and then accelerate through the hole once they do is paramount," he wrote. "Hyde would be a perfect fit as a second-round pick, but if they wait until later, [FSU's Devonta] Freeman and [Washington's Bishop] Sankey are two good options." Hyde is the consensus No. 1 RB in the class. He's been compared to...Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

The most realistic hyper-optimistic comparison I've seen is Arian Foster. Another slow guy with good feet, balance, and receiving ability.
I could see Arian Foster, Alf Morris as his ceiling. WTF on the Ryan matthews comp. Their running styles are very different plus matthews is significantly faster.

Rotoworld:

McShay sees a potential marriage between Hyde and the Ravens. "In new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiaks zone-blocking scheme, getting a guy who can patiently wait for the creases to open up and then accelerate through the hole once they do is paramount," he wrote. "Hyde would be a perfect fit as a second-round pick, but if they wait until later, [FSU's Devonta] Freeman and [Washington's Bishop] Sankey are two good options." Hyde is the consensus No. 1 RB in the class. He's been compared to...Ryan Mathews, Frank Gore and Zac Stacy.

I could see Arian Foster, Alf Morris as his ceiling.WTF on the Ryan matthews comp. Their running styles are very different plus matthews is significantly faster.
Foster would be a nice ceiling.

Hyde is my now #1 RB in the class. Runs with power, good quickness and vision, the best pass protector in the class, and his receiving skills are better than I expected. He wasn't used much in the pass game but he looks capable of being a 3-4 catch a game RB.

There are other backs that are more exciting to watch - Seastrunk and Sankey - but none of them have Hyde's complete game. I have a feeling he'll be the first RB off the board.

Does anyone have a definitive birthdate on Hyde?

Wiki has September 20, 1990 listed in one place and 1991 in another.

He was a fifth year senior so it's possible he will turn 24 going into his rookie season, which is something to consider in dynasty leagues.

msommer said:
Dr. Octopus said:
mr fancypants said:

Fixed the original, HTH
Go right ahead. It will be just as irrelevant as the first time you brought it up.
LMAO I guess to each there own. Just simply my opinion.

mr fancypants said:

did you notice Lacy last year? Seemed pretty good. :shrug:

mr fancypants said:

did you notice Lacy last year? Seemed pretty good. :shrug:
:lol:

Leroy Hoard said:
Miller has great vision, I don't know what you're talking about

http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/31/carlos-dunlaps-hustle-play-to-strip-lamar-miller-before-the-end-zone-was-outstanding/bengals-strip-dolphins-play/#main

Are we assuming he faked injury at the combine? Everything about it seemed fishy to me. And then he didn't run again at his pro day. He knows he's too slow.

Users who are viewing this thread