What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Carlos Hyde, JAC (1 Viewer)

In the 14 team Sirius/XM radio host PPR draft yesterday where 70 RBs were drafted, Hyde "did not" get drafted. To put it in perspective RBs Taiwan Jones and Wayne Gallman were drafted. While I took him as my RB5 in a 15 round 12 team draft on Monday I am considering dropping him. Cleveland didn't want him, Jacksonville didn't want him, Kansas City didn't want him. I really believe he is done.

https://www72.myfantasyleague.com/2019/options?L=55090&O=113&CMD=GRID&DISPLAY=LEAGUE&ARCHIVE=*

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 14 team Sirius/XM radio host PPR draft yesterday where 70 RBs were drafted, Hyde "did not" get drafted. To put it in perspective RBs Taiwan Jones and Wayne Gallman were drafted. While I took him as my RB5 in a 15 round 12 team draft on Monday I am considering dropping him. Cleveland didn't want him, Jacksonville didn't want him, Kansas City didn't want him. I really believe he is done.

https://www72.myfantasyleague.com/2019/options?L=55090&O=113&CMD=GRID&DISPLAY=LEAGUE&ARCHIVE=*
I'm all fairness, Cleveland signed Duke and thought so highly that they got carlos Hyde and drafted a rb. 

Then they proceeded to bury him behind Hunt and then traded him away.

Seems like Duke truthers like to point out Hydes journey since signing with cleveland last year yet ignore Duke has been repeatedly buried on the depth chart

I'm all fairness, Cleveland signed Duke and thought so highly that they got carlos Hyde and drafted a rb. 

Then they proceeded to bury him behind Hunt and then traded him away.

Seems like Duke truthers like to point out Hydes journey since signing with cleveland last year yet ignore Duke has been repeatedly buried on the depth chart
To be fair, nobody is saying Duke is better than Hunt or Chubb. One could argue those are both top-10 NFL RB's. No shame in being behind them. It'd be one thing if Hyde were stuck behind 2 great players, but he's bounced from team to team to team etc. He's potentially closer to the XFL than he is to being a starting RB again.

Hyde playing ahead of Duke last year is irrelevant. It was on a different team, with possibly the worst HC in history. Bill O'Brien may be making rash, short sighted decisions right now but he's still several times better of a coach than Hue was.

All that said, Duke is an RB3 in my eyes, with Hyde a borderline roster worthy player in deep leagues.

He was never a terrible RB, as I recall he had some injuries and also played for an awful Niners team and era when he was there. Cleveland was trying to trade him as soon as they signed him and then drafted Nick Chubby. Then he ends up in Jax behind another heralded 1st round pick. hen he runs into Andy Reid and quickly get in his dog house...he has played or been a member of like 5 teams in the last 18+ months and it's probably not because he is a Stud running the ball. 

That said this guy could take out an entire room of FBGs sipping Bud Lights, know what I mean? It's easy to dismiss these guys because they don't fit into dynasty needs any more but right now he has the controls at the lead back spot in Houston...how long will it last?

He was never a terrible RB, as I recall he had some injuries and also played for an awful Niners team and era when he was there. Cleveland was trying to trade him as soon as they signed him and then drafted Nick Chubby. Then he ends up in Jax behind another heralded 1st round pick. hen he runs into Andy Reid and quickly get in his dog house...he has played or been a member of like 5 teams in the last 18+ months and it's probably not because he is a Stud running the ball. 

That said this guy could take out an entire room of FBGs sipping Bud Lights, know what I mean? It's easy to dismiss these guys because they don't fit into dynasty needs any more but right now he has the controls at the lead back spot in Houston...how long will it last?
He does look good and he is on a good O with little competition.  He will be scooped up like crazy from the WW this week.  

I just started watching this game a bit ago. I saw Hyde make a pretty nifty run just now in the 4th quarter. Looks spry for Hyde.

I guess this was not just one isolated good play based on the comments in the thread so far.

Carlos Hyde rushed 10 times for 83 yards in the Texans' Week 1 loss to the Saints Monday night.

Hyde got the start in this one and ran for nine yards on the game's first play. Acquired from the Chiefs at final cuts after he quickly washed out of Kansas City, Hyde actually looked pretty good in this game with several chunk runs. His longest went for 20 yards. Duke Johnson was also heavily involved following his acquisition from the Browns, but it was pretty clear the Texans liked Hyde on early downs and Johnson in a pass-game role. Johnson managed to out-touch Hyde 13-11. Hyde totaled 85 yards (with a two-yard catch) and Johnson contributed 90 yards. Hyde will be extremely TD-dependent in this role. He has a tougher draw next week against the Jaguars.

Sep 9, 2019, 10:42 PM ET

patrick @PatDStat

Discussion will be about Hopkins and Deshaun but Carlos Hyde has been a difference maker tonight. Can’t get over how much he changes the O. Runs hard and break tackles. Strictly business runner. #Texans

He's proving to be a better back than Lamar Miller, for sure. There's a reason he was released by so many teams. There's also a reason teams still want him. It's not solely because they're stupid. Cleveland and KC are pretty innovative clubs, and they at least worked him out and used him over certain guys. 

He's proving to be a better back than Lamar Miller, for sure. There's a reason he was released by so many teams. There's also a reason teams still want him. It's not solely because they're stupid. Cleveland and KC are pretty innovative clubs, and they at least worked him out and used him over certain guys. 
He was listed at one time around 240, think he might have trimmed down to 225 the year he had solid numbers in SF. 

He had 59 catches in 2017 for San Fran

2016: 988 yds rush

2017: 936 yds rush

I would say the OL he will run behind in Houston is as good as any he has had, weapons around him vs San Fran, Cleveland and Jacksonville...this is his best offense to be featured in. I think his numbers could get better. 

100 yds on the ground is not crazy talk but I don't see him scoring a lot with Watson and so many options. If he managed 4-6 TD and maybe 1,000-1,200 rush with not a whole lot receiving...he is a borderline RB2 but I don't see him catching a lot of balls when Houston has so many better options including at RB with Duke Johnson. 

He was listed at one time around 240, think he might have trimmed down to 225 the year he had solid numbers in SF. 

He had 59 catches in 2017 for San Fran

2016: 988 yds rush

2017: 936 yds rush

I would say the OL he will run behind in Houston is as good as any he has had, weapons around him vs San Fran, Cleveland and Jacksonville...this is his best offense to be featured in. I think his numbers could get better. 

100 yds on the ground is not crazy talk but I don't see him scoring a lot with Watson and so many options. If he managed 4-6 TD and maybe 1,000-1,200 rush with not a whole lot receiving...he is a borderline RB2 but I don't see him catching a lot of balls when Houston has so many better options including at RB with Duke Johnson. 
I'm a Carlos fan, actually, I just keep it to myself on this board because you'll get a bunch of people accusing you of being an anachronistic mouth-breather who hates stats and loves JAGs if you like this guy.

Okay, so maybe he's average in the NFL. How many durable guys can say that?

He also won me a title as my FLEX in San Fran in a QRRWWTXKD world/league as the constant "X" so I'm biased after watching him that whole year. He did a lot without very much help. 

But here I gently disagree. Isn't Houston's line notoriously pretty porous, though that's mainly pass protection?

It's likely that Hopkins, Fuller V, and Stills and Coutee won't allow defenses to stack boxes. At all. Fuller and Stills run sub 4.4s and DeAndre is DeAndre. 

rockaction said:
But here I gently disagree. Isn't Houston's line notoriously pretty porous, though that's mainly pass protection?

It's likely that Hopkins, Fuller V, and Stills and Coutee won't allow defenses to stack boxes. At all. Fuller and Stills run sub 4.4s and DeAndre is DeAndre. 
That's exactly my point and I agree, the talent in the passing attack including a very talented QB who I think is only in his 3rd year after he misses most of his rookie season. Watson looks like a 8-10 year pro out there and there is no way DCs on opposing teams are making plans to stop Carlos Hyde. 

Carlos Hyde rushed 20 times for 90 yards in the Texans' 13-12, Week 2 win over the Jaguars.

He wasn't targeted in the passing game, but Hyde was the offense for the Texans. He was the only one consistently picking up yards and seems to be a pretty nice fit in Houston through two weeks. Hyde out-touched Duke Johnson 20-6, and Johnson also put up a goose egg in the passing game. Hyde will slide back to RB3/FLEX status on the road against the Chargers in Week 3 with the Texans possibly chasing points in that one. Johnson will be the better play, but this timeshare has capped the upside of both backs through two games.

Currently on pace for 1384 yards rushing, at 7.3 yds/carry.  That's not sustainable, of course... but 12.5% of the season IS in the books.

Hyde has 2/3 of the rushes for Houston RBs.

If he stays healthy (big if), he's going to have a big year.  Just needs to TDs, as Duke caps his receiving totals.

Man, Hyde has really resurrected his career in Houston.. Didn't have a huge Fantasy day, but still 19/83 is a pretty solid day for a running back.

Carlos Hyde rushed 19 times for 83 yards in Houston's Week 8 win over the Raiders.

Hyde's highlights included a 20-yard gash in the second half and a forced fumble that a linemen fortunately recovered. On pace for the first 1,000 yard rushing campaign of his six-year career, Hyde continues being a game script-dependent RB3 since his pitiful one target per contest offers little ceiling outside of plus matchups. He'll be considered the same in Week 9 against the Jaguars.

Oct 27, 2019, 10:58 PM ET

Carlos Hyde rushed 19 times for 160 yards in the Texans' Week 9 win over the Jaguars.

Hyde had a career day in London, gashing Jacksonville for over eight yards per carry. He could have had a bigger game, but he fumbled at the goal-line at the end of a 58-yard run. It was the lone blemish for Hyde, who has at least 19 carries in two straight weeks. Hyde will be a gameflow dependent RB3 against the Ravens when the Texans come out of their bye.

Nov 3, 2019, 1:20 PM ET

Sarah Barshop @sarahbarshop

Carlos Hyde has two 100-yard rushing games this season:

One against the Chiefs, who Hyde signed with this offseason.

One against the Jaguars, who Hyde played with last season after a mid-season trade.

I may trade J Samuels for Hyde as a better ROS play as the other manager is hurting this week. Can't say for sure how long Connors is out, perhaps another week after this one? Anyway, I'm researching Hyde and I do like the Texans as Hyde benefits from defenses focusing on Watson and the passing game. Plus, the Texans will score and keep utilizing the run in a balanced offense.

Seems like Hyde is performing well as a RB 3 / Flex play / and if needed fills in the RB 2 spot. His receptions are on the low side. Full point ppr not so good. Perhaps a standard league much better. Now .5ppr mostly yardage and a TD.

Carlos Hyde rushed nine times for 65 yards and a touchdown in the Texans' Week 11 loss to the Ravens.

With the Texans down 14-0 early and 27-0 before the break, Hyde never had a chance at positive game script. He saved his day with the garbage time score to end all garbage time scores, rumbling up the middle for a 41-yarder with the Texans losing 34-0 with 7:10 remaining. Hyde will have a better chance at positive game flow for Week 12's Thursday night date with the Colts. He will be a low-end RB2.

Carlos Hyde rushed 16 times for 67 yards in the Texans' Week 12 win over the Colts.

As usual, Hyde didn't catch a pass. Although he looked faster in the Texans' all-navy getup, Hyde gained 33 of his 67 yards on one carry, otherwise failing to dent the box score. His Week 11 was also built on the back of one tote. Week 13 opponent New England is more vulnerable on the ground than through the air, but it will be difficult to get excited about Hyde as a low-end RB2.

Nov 21, 2019, 11:59 PM ET

Carlos Hyde rushed 10 times for 17 yards and caught one pass for five yards in Week 13 against the Patriots.

It’s another quiet game for Hyde, who had just seven carries going into the fourth quarter despite the Texans leading throughout. He didn’t have any red-zone opportunities with Deshaun Watson throwing touchdowns to Duke Johnson and Darren Fells inside the 15-yard line. Hyde has been trending down with under 70 rushing yards the last three games. Going into the final quarter of the season, Hyde is on pace for 1,137 yards and five touchdowns.

Carlos Hyde rushed 14 times for 73 yards in Houston's Week 14 loss to the Broncos.

Hyde and Duke Johnson (1/5) quickly became afterthoughts on the ground since the Broncos rushed out to a 31-3 first-half lead. Although his double-digit touches were encouraging, Hyde's clearly taken a step back in recent weeks, failing to eclipse 75 yards or score in three straight performances. He can't be trusted as anything more than a disastrous-floor RB4 in Houston's Week 15 must-win contest against the Titans.

Carlos Hyde rushed 26 times for 104 yards and a touchdown in the Texans' Week 15 win over the Titans.

Hyde was not targeted in the passing game. The 100-yard day on the ground was his first in five weeks and just his third of the season. Somewhat amazingly, Hyde has only five touchdowns despite an entire year as the unquestioned lead back for an above-average offense. Hyde has a tough Week 16 assignment in a Bucs defense that sells out to stop the run.

Carlos Hyde (ankle) was a limited participant in practice Tuesday.

The 29-year-old back passed 1,000 yards on the ground for the first time in his career on Sunday. He did so with his third 100-yard performance of the season. Hyde is 10th in the NFL with 224 carries so his limited status is likely nothing more than a rest day for the veteran. He faces a stout Buccaneers run defense this week and will be a touchdown-dependent flex option for fantasy championships.

Dec 17, 2019, 5:14 PM ET

Carlos Hyde rushed 16 times for 48 yards in the Titans' Wild Card win over the Bills, adding a five-yard touchdown catch on his lone target.

Hyde nearly cost the Texans the game, fumbling a pitch play from the two-yard line on what would have been a walk-in score. The ball fortunately ended up out of bounds at the five, and Hyde caught the five-yard score on the next play. He continues to dominate carries in this backfield over Duke Johnson. The Chiefs or Ravens are up next for the Texans.

Carlos Hyde spanned 44 yards on 13 carries while securing three catches for an additional 18 yards on four targets Sunday in the Texans’ Divisional Round loss to the Chiefs.

All but two of the veteran's rushing attempts came in the first half. That was a simpler time for the Texans, who jumped out to a commanding 24-0 advantage, only to let that lead disappear in a matter of mere minutes. Usually a receiving non-factor, Hyde was asked to do more in the passing game than usual with Houston playing from behind in the second half. Sunday's loss must have been a particularly tough one for Hyde, who went to training camp with Kansas City before being traded to Houston. Still, the six-year enjoyed arguably his best season, registering a career-high 1,070 rushing yards while also experiencing his first taste of postseason football. Even so, the 29-year-old seems likely to settle for a one-year deal when he reaches the open market this offseason.

Jan 12, 2020, 6:40 PM ET

Impending free agent Carlos Hyde hopes to re-sign with the Texans this offseason.

Hyde, who has suited up for five teams in his last three seasons (that includes a brief layover in Kansas City this past summer), is understandably tired of moving and wants to put down roots in Houston. "I definitely want to be back here," Hyde confirmed in the aftermath of Sunday's season-ending loss to Kansas City, a game that saw the Texans squander a 24-point first-half lead. "I don’t want to go to another team and start all over again. I felt like Houston was home." The 29-year-old had his most productive season in 2019, leaping over the 1,000-yard rushing hurdle for the first time in his six-year career. Houston's backfield could look much different next year with Hyde and Lamar Miller (who was lost to an August ACL tear) both headed for free agency.

SOURCE: Houston Chronicle

Jan 13, 2020, 8:47 AM ET

The Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports impending free agent Carlos Hyde declined a contract offer from the Texans.

30 in September and fresh off a career-high 245 carries under coach Bill O'Brien, Hyde isn't expected to attract many suitors on the open market. Even so, his role in 2020 will likely come at the expense of his sixth squad in the past four seasons, including his brief stint with the Chiefs last year. With Lamar Miller additionally hitting free agency, the Texans are expected to be active this offseason in their search to find another runner alongside Duke Johnson.

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Mar 11, 2020, 2:24 PM ET

Rumor has Detroit and Seattle as a back up and depth, presumably. But the cream always rises to the top! 

I kid, I kid. He's better than people give him credit for, but he's older and running backs are of little market value. GMs won't know until the end of camp, most likely, and if COVID dispatches the season, he may well have played his last down and spent his last year as a thousand yard rusher, nothing to sneeze at these days.

Weird career. Better than Gore when Gore was in SF, never fit Shanahan's system, really, never got established in the NFL, probably due to his rookie age of twenty-four. More talent than most thought. Never flashed.

Why offer Carlos a reasonable contract and give Duke an expanded role when you can eat David Johnson's salary?

Amirite BOB?

NFL Insider Adam Caplan reports the Eagles have interest in free agent RB Carlos Hyde.

Specifically, Caplan said, "They want to sign a veteran running back ... The guy that I know they have some interest in, and we’ll see if it happens, is a guy that’s really, really talented ... The Eagles, I’m told, have interest in him ... I’m told Hyde is a guy they’re targeting." The presence of Hyde would limit Miles Sanders' projected three-down role. The Eagles drafted Sanders with the No. 53 overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. Sanders more than met expectations as a rookie, racking up 1,327 yards from scrimmage and six touchdowns despite splitting plenty of work with early-drown grinder Jordan Howard. Unfortunately, the presence of Hyde would reduce Sanders' projected touch count to the 10-15 range per game as opposed to flirting with 20-combined carries and targets on a week-to-week basis.

SOURCE: Philly Voice on Twitter

May 11, 2020, 9:14 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread