What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suicide (1 Viewer)

Don't know the thread rules so forgive me if this isn't the place,  but I just found out a buddy of mine lost a family member tonight to suicide.  Left behind young kids. 

I honestly have no idea what to say or do.  What do I say or do?

Don't know the thread rules so forgive me if this isn't the place,  but I just found out a buddy of mine lost a family member tonight to suicide.  Left behind young kids. 

Let him know you are there for him. There's honestly just not a lot you can say or do to make anything better. But make sure he knows that you are there if he wants to talk about things.

Tough to say what to say. We must know where we care and show it when we do. Suicide occurs when there's no place to go with pain. Make sure the people who can come to you know they can. GL -

I think the important thing is to make sure the kids know it wasn't their fault.  They brought joy to his life and it was an internal demon that got the best of him. 

There are no rules in this thread except to be kind and respectful to one another. Great advice given.

I will add that it's important to keep an eye on anyone who seems to be withdrawing. Doesn't mean they are suicidal. Just means something is going on leading to depression. A big cause of depression is feeling alone, that no one cares. Alert close fam members if you see this happening with someone you know.

Be the shoulder. Let him know you are there for him

OK, dont follow this because it's internet forum advice but, esp if nerves are a prob for you, just ask & listen. Actually listen, like you want to figure out how she works. Don't look at her like she's a bug or anything but, for a few hours anyway, most people are interesting, so listen. Takes the nerves off like nuttin.

I made a connection through a yoga class and was invited to a concert tomorrow night. She's pretty cute, too. 

What's your advice for keeping the conversation light and friendly? 
Perfect. You won't have to worry about convo during the concert. Better than let's do drinks or coffee as a first outing while learning to navigate the social scene better.

Light and friendly.. just the basic get to know you stuff before the concert along with talking about some songs you enjoy from the group you hope they play for instance. If you don't know the group, start digging into the popular songs to familiarise yourself with them. After the concert, about the concert. Remember there are 2 of you in the convo. She'll be talking too so you'll get cues from her to carry the convo. Don't become gabby/talk more than her. Guys don't like it and so do majority of women. You'll pick up cues from body language too like eye contact, smiling, etc to help as well. So you are in the same weekly yoga class, cool, there's that to talk about as well. Has she been doing it for awhile? What led her to yoga? Any tips she has for you as a beginner?

Most importantly, RELAX. You aren't on a job interview. Don't overthink/ think too hard about any of it. Let it flow and just see how it goes without thinking about "tomorrow." And also remember, the girl is probably nervous as well. Believe it or not it's not just the guy that is nervous on a first outing with someone they like. The key is to enjoy the evening tomorrow and have fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
 I made a connection through a yoga class and was invited to a concert tomorrow night. She's pretty cute, too. 

What's your advice for keeping the conversation light and friendly? 
ask questions. listen. ask more questions based on what she tells you. answer questions if asked. 

dammit. no idea- I've been married a long time and totally useless. but the questions thing seems like ok advice... I think.

ugh... sorry about your friend.

I agree with others to say to be there and present for him/her as they need you- and to let them know that you're there as needed.

don't ask lots of questions though- I think that was my advice for the previous poster.... seems like the wrong advice here.

sports_fan said:
I've posted a little bit about my struggles in the past and lately it has been as bad as ever.

My job responsibilities have changed pretty drastically within the past few months and I'm having a very difficult time coping. The stress is to the point where I have trouble sleeping at night and constantly working extra hours. 

I do have some good days still but part of the problem is that I'm experiencing extreme highs and lows. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on leveling out the highs and lows. If I could keep myself a little more stable I might be able to manage. 

With my education/experience I don't think I could find a better paying job but may need to find something lower stress and stomach a pay decrease
Hopefully you can find a good solution, S_F. I believe that sleep is really important with keeping things together so definitely consider seeing your doctor if you cannot get on top of your sleep issues. In the mean time, it sounds like you need a different career path. Maybe set a goal for a work transition (6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc.). You may find having a goal set helps with the day-to-day. Also, while you have the good income, work on reducing your expenses so if your new career pays less you can handle it financially.

sports_fan said:
I've posted a little bit about my struggles in the past and lately it has been as bad as ever.

My job responsibilities have changed pretty drastically within the past few months and I'm having a very difficult time coping. The stress is to the point where I have trouble sleeping at night and constantly working extra hours. 

I do have some good days still but part of the problem is that I'm experiencing extreme highs and lows. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on leveling out the highs and lows. If I could keep myself a little more stable I might be able to manage. 

With my education/experience I don't think I could find a better paying job but may need to find something lower stress and stomach a pay decrease
unless you have a scenario where you NEED the money, like kids education or something or you're paying down a debt, lots of life is like a goldfish to me.  Meaning you'll fit things to the size available, so with regard to money, we probably all could get by with less.  But the flip side of that, is that stress will likely not be married to a job strictly and that too may follow you.

So I definitely think if you can afford to take a step back in salary, the relief of taking some load off is a great thing.  But I'd also urge you to work on the mental game in terms of coping strategies and stress management, and destressing. 

As always, talk to someone who actually knows whats up, with these highs and lows, they might recognize things that should or could be treated medicinally. 

But in terms of general hints, I would say:

-compartmenaltize work... for better or worse, set boundaries and leave it there when you go home and pick it up when you get home.  If it crowds your mind, crowd it out.  This isn't easy, but neither is benching 300 pounds but with training you can do it

-consideration meditation and by extension yoga.  I find it to be a great mental reset and pause for a frantic mind

-get some sort of outdoor exercise, ideally hiking or walking in or near the woods or natural element.  I would think even golf would suffice.  I don't know what why or how but being in nature seems to have a wonderful effect on us and our psyche and science seems to support this.  I know you're busy, but make time for it.  You'll be better for 23 hours a day if you take an hour to connect with that.

Hang in there and you can handle this. 

sports_fan said:

Lemme ax you - family man? how tied into your identity is your profession?

sports_fan said:

Have you spoken to a medical professional about this?

sports_fan said:

Hey, sports_fan.

I was in the same boat a few years ago.  My career was killing me from the inside out.  Until about the last 9 months, I didn't even realize how bad it had gotten.  Stress had caused extreme yo-yos in weight, inability to handle even basic responsibilities and vicious mood swings that affected my family.

I started with meds, which kept me off the ledge.  But ultimately, I found the root of my depression was my career in accounting.  I had started officiating basketball and football and never felt more alive while I was dreading getting up every day for my day job.

I was completely unable to focus for more than a few minutes at a time.  Even the most basic tasks seemed to overwhelm me and I went through 3 jobs in 4 years.  I was a worthless employee.  The problem was, I'm not a slacker by nature.  I graduated from college in 4 years with a 3.6 gpa while playing college basketball.  I went back to grad school and then passed the CPA exam while working full-time with a young family.  My first few jobs out of college I showed nothing but promise and achievement.

But ultimately, the higher I went, the more I struggled.  Accounting has 2 things that I have found are not compatible with me.  One, it is very isolated and social interaction is limited.  I'm a social person and struggle when left alone for too long.  I just like people and need to be in communication with others regularly.  Two, it is very repetitive.  I would always start a job like a champ, but the more things repeated over and over (monthly cycles are the norm in accounting), the worse I performed.  After 15 years of bouncing around, I finally looked at my career as what was possibly the problem.  Now that I have changed careers, I can say with some confidence that the career was truly the problem.

I've been at my new job as a construction project coordinator for about 20 months now.  I spend most of my day in communication with others.  There is some repetitiveness to my job, but there is finality to a job and once complete, we move on to the next one.  Sometimes I'm super swamped and sometimes I'm twiddling my thumbs.  I love it and am starting to strive.  But most importantly, I enjoy my job.  I like coming to work and don't get overwhelmed.  And last year, I actually tapered off of my medication without a setback.

I'm basically sharing all of this to say that your career is not who you are and it is better to change jobs and make less if it can save your mental state.  My job change has saved me and my wife is happier, even though our budget is tighter.  Also, you may be surprised how well some of your current job skills will translate to another career.  I have a lot of knowledge about finance and accounting that makes what I do simple to me, where some of the other people in my department struggle.

Good luck and I'd start thinking it though and doing something sooner rather than later.

sports_fan said:

sleep is one of the most important things.  lots of things to do to help with that.

more exercise usually helps.

also a good work/life balance.  easy to say but stop working those extra hours.

but dont be scared to go see a dr about this.  it wont hurt

I write, speak, argue and talk in front of people for a living.  Me being unable to come up with something to say in a situation is....... rare.

I'm still effing clueless on this.  I feel like anything I think I can or should say or do makes me look like a putz.  Ugh.  Thanks for the advice.  This is just awful.  I really hope those of you suffering with this find the help you need for yourself or family member.  

I had an awful stretch last week when my back went out. Took some beans and got through it.  The downside is the two day withdrawal when I stopped. I was in a bad place.  Then Oteil sang China Doll and I was ok.  It is amazing how much music makes me want to push on.  Good luck everyone.

sports_fan said:
I appreciate the replies and advice. I had a really bad day today and don't have a good frame of mind to provide a better response but just a couple things to give a better picture:

• I've been through extensive inpatient treatment in the past with limited success
  • I don't have any debt or financial dependents and could handle a considerable decrease in pay immediately
  • I recently started taking a sleep aid but it's not enough
  • My knees are in pretty rough shape due to prior injuries/surgeries which has reduced my physical activity considerably from when I was younger. I can't do the same things I once enjoyed but I know there are other ways I could be more active and need to put forth a better effort in finding them
Looks like the easy answer is leave the job asap.  I left my job at 30 and it helped me big time mentally.  Good luck.

I write, speak, argue and talk in front of people for a living.  Me being unable to come up with something to say in a situation is....... rare.

I'm still effing clueless on this.  I feel like anything I think I can or should say or do makes me look like a putz.  Ugh.  Thanks for the advice.  This is just awful.  I really hope those of you suffering with this find the help you need for yourself or family member.  
If you were Shakespeare and George carlin rolled into one, your words STILL wouldn't make sense of the senseless assuming no rationale reason for the suicide( not to say illness or debt or the prospect of prison justify it but you can more readily connect those dots logically). 

So just be there and don't speculate too throughly beyond reassuring this gentlemans family that they were loved despite a bad moment getting the better of your friend  

sorry for your loss man, don't compound the pain by thinking you need to be perfect or anything close to that.  Being there counts and counts big time, hang in there

sports_fan said:

I just want to reiterate what many have mentioned, particularly Jayrok.

I actually posted in this thread about a year ago about my acute suicidal thoughts, driven in large part by my job struggles.  I worked as an attorney but I was filled with anxiety and self doubt. After seeking and receiving some great advice here, I came to the realization that I needed to be part of a team, I wasn't suited to carry a business on my own.

I began working as a teller at a small financial institution, I'd never been happier professionally and slept like a baby at nights. I knew that if I was unable to solve a problem a support system was there to get me through it. Fast forward about a year and I've received two promotions. I've never felt more confident or inclusive. I could be making much more money but there's enough to get by and my quality of life has skyrocketed. I still take an anti-depressant to stay on top of it but am talking with my doctor about reducing the dosage.

This is a long way of saying that each situation is unique, but our careers go a long way in determining our mental state.  I realize this is a simplistic solution for some instances, but I would strongly consider what other fields would best fit your personality and skill set.  There won't be a eureka moment, just spend some time thinking and land on the best route you can.  Just know that we're thinking about you and things can and will get better

sports_fan said:
I appreciate the replies and advice. I had a really bad day today and don't have a good frame of mind to provide a better response but just a couple things to give a better picture:

• I've been through extensive inpatient treatment in the past with limited success
  • I don't have any debt or financial dependents and could handle a considerable decrease in pay immediately
  • I recently started taking a sleep aid but it's not enough
  • My knees are in pretty rough shape due to prior injuries/surgeries which has reduced my physical activity considerably from when I was younger. I can't do the same things I once enjoyed but I know there are other ways I could be more active and need to put forth a better effort in finding them
I don't know if this has been asked of you, but have you been diagnosed with something and you are on meds? You mention extensive inpatient treatment. What may be happening if so is the med(s) may not be working well anymore. So many people stay on the same thing for years and years when in fact it's not working and a visit to the doc to help sort it out is in order.

The job change is good advice if it really is over your head and it would resolve your issues. The key is you need to get to the bottom of what's going on, be it a simple job change being the remedy alone or looking into different treatments to help you deal if you do like your job. I agree with the health and happiness is much more important than all the money in the world. I've been forced to make big changes in my life and while it's stressful financially, I am in a much better place now despite complications and such that I have. Life is too short to be under such stress and misery, especially if it can be corrected if you find the underlying reason. Best wishes. xxx

Perfect. You won't have to worry about convo during the concert. Better than let's do drinks or coffee as a first outing while learning to navigate the social scene better.

Light and friendly.. just the basic get to know you stuff before the concert along with talking about some songs you enjoy from the group you hope they play for instance. If you don't know the group, start digging into the popular songs to familiarise yourself with them. After the concert, about the concert. Remember there are 2 of you in the convo. She'll be talking too so you'll get cues from her to carry the convo. Don't become gabby/talk more than her. Guys don't like it and so do majority of women. You'll pick up cues from body language too like eye contact, smiling, etc to help as well. So you are in the same weekly yoga class, cool, there's that to talk about as well. Has she been doing it for awhile? What led her to yoga? Any tips she has for you as a beginner?

Most importantly, RELAX. You aren't on a job interview. Don't overthink/ think too hard about any of it. Let it flow and just see how it goes without thinking about "tomorrow." And also remember, the girl is probably nervous as well. Believe it or not it's not just the guy that is nervous on a first outing with someone they like. The key is to enjoy the evening tomorrow and have fun! :)
Thanks for the advice. I tried to just relax and not force any conversations. She ended up not going but I met her other friend at the show. He was super nice and really engaging. It's really hard to break the cycle of negativity and be present. 

Thanks for the advice. I tried to just relax and not force any conversations. She ended up not going but I met her other friend at the show. He was super nice and really engaging. It's really hard to break the cycle of negativity and be present. 
The more you go out and interact with people the easier it becomes to break the negative cycle. Sounds like you had fun.

I didn't think this was thread worthy. 

However, do any of you know how to get involved with humantarian relief? I'm  interested in helping poor nations such as Haiti. 

I'd rather spend my time trying to spread good in the world. 

However, do any of you know how to get involved with humantarian relief? I'm  interested in helping poor nations such as Haiti. 

I'm sure there are any number of organizations that would welcome all of your talents. 

I would caution you to make sure you've taken care of yourself first. As someone smarter than I am once said "It's okay if you only save one person. And it's okay if that person is you."

wazoo11 said:

Henry Ford is spot on. You can't help anyone until you can help yourself. I wouldn't jump to Haiti just yet esp if deep down there is a sense of escaping. Plenty of opportunities to help the needy in your own backyard. Wayne Dyer uses a great quote. Wherever you go, there you are.  Btw I recommend reading his books. PBS sometimes airs his program but I haven't seen it in awhile. Great self help author.

Sitting here with my wife waiting for our youngest -and soon to graduate from HS-son to get out of his therapy session. I have been AWOL from this place for much of the last couple of years as we worked with our son and his struggles with ADHD, depression and social anxiety disorder. He was hospitalized once because he feared he would hurt himself. It hasn't been pretty.

So, I choose to drop in here and I notice this once familiar thread. :waves:

Mom and dad went first tonight on a night where we try to help him decide just what path to take post graduation. He is a brilliant young man, but is hamstrung by his issues. "In-home schooled" the last six months by tutors, we didn't know for sure he would graduate and attend the college he was accepted to until today. He needs major work on his self care and coping skills, and in fighting the demons that make him consider self harm. 

Mom and dad believe that an in patient transitional program to work on cognitive and dialectal behavior therapy is what he needs to be able to take on college in the fall. The alternative is some six months of weekly visits working on the same, and forgoing school in the fall. 

We await his reaction to the therapists suggesting the in patient program...

Henry Ford is spot on. You can't help anyone until you can help yourself. I wouldn't jump to Haiti just yet esp if deep down there is a sense of escaping. Plenty of opportunities to help the needy in your own backyard. Wayne Dyer uses a great quote. Wherever you go, there you are.  Btw I recommend reading his books. PBS sometimes airs his program but I haven't seen it in awhile. Great self help author.
I didn't mean literally travel to Haiti but give like a donation to some charity.

I didn't mean literally travel to Haiti but give like a donation to some charity.

Make sure if you donate to a site that it is legit. So many fake sites out there that look legit. Some cancer charity site in NJ was just busted and I know there are many others that look mighty suspicious. Unfortunately people can be clever and create a site that looks like a great charity but is really a scam.

For disaster areas like Haiti I'd check out the main news sites for their links.

Sitting here with my wife waiting for our youngest -and soon to graduate from HS-son to get out of his therapy session. I have been AWOL from this place for much of the last couple of years as we worked with our son and his struggles with ADHD, depression and social anxiety disorder. He was hospitalized once because he feared he would hurt himself. It hasn't been pretty.

So, I choose to drop in here and I notice this once familiar thread. :waves:

Mom and dad went first tonight on a night where we try to help him decide just what path to take post graduation. He is a brilliant young man, but is hamstrung by his issues. "In-home schooled" the last six months by tutors, we didn't know for sure he would graduate and attend the college he was accepted to until today. He needs major work on his self care and coping skills, and in fighting the demons that make him consider self harm. 

Mom and dad believe that an in patient transitional program to work on cognitive and dialectal behavior therapy is what he needs to be able to take on college in the fall. The alternative is some six months of weekly visits working on the same, and forgoing school in the fall. 

We await his reaction to the therapists suggesting the in patient program...
Congrats on him graduating. It takes time, patience and a ton of love and support in helping a loved one cope with such depression and anxiety. I went through a very long bout trying to help my cousin awhile back with a couple of attempted suicides and hospitalisations as well. Allow him all the time he needs, don't talk about college so much unless he brings it up. One thing my cousin hated was being asked all the time, are you feeling better? I was asking not because I wanted her out of my place asap but because I cared. So knowing this I quit asking so much and she felt better about that. It doesn't take much to make a highly anxious person more anxious, Good luck.

Today's my birthday and hopefully this year will be much better.
Happy birthday, waz - enjoy

Whether you like the former president's politics or not, The Carter Center is a great place to get started pursuing charitable interests. There's Habitat, they pioneered Lifestraw, theyre in every corner of the world & they have a great % of direct service per $.

Volunteering is a great way to deal with the blues, too - people are nicer to & less complicated with you when you're helping, you get great perspective on human problems and it removes doubt that your life is adding something. Finding a cause that matches one's passions can be one of the best things that can happen to a life. GL -

Congrats on him graduating. It takes time, patience and a ton of love and support in helping a loved one cope with such depression and anxiety. I went through a very long bout trying to help my cousin awhile back with a couple of attempted suicides and hospitalisations as well. Allow him all the time he needs, don't talk about college so much unless he brings it up. One thing my cousin hated was being asked all the time, are you feeling better? I was asking not because I wanted her out of my place asap but because I cared. So knowing this I quit asking so much and she felt better about that. It doesn't take much to make a highly anxious person more anxious, Good luck.
He's looking forward to getting out of Dodge and starting over in college. He agreed to go for the inpatient transitional program last night- much to mom and dad's relief- because he, too realizes what a toxic environment home (his room, friends, etc) has become. He really needs the reboot. He hates being asked, "How's it going?"- probably because he doesn't know where to begin. And it hasn't been good. It took a lot of time for us to catch up with what things we did to contribute to his anxiety.

Having his first girlfriend break up with him around the holidays really pushed him off the rails. It wasn't just the first love thing that hurt him deeply, it was the fact that they shared much of the same "issues." It was good for them both to have someone to relate to and share with, but they both began to further isolate themselves from the few other friends that they did have. She attempted to break up with him and he totally lost his ####. Fell apart. At his worst post break up moment he told me that if he wasn't so afraid of blood that he would be gone. She decided she wanted to try again, gave it a go, but she was the one who possessed the maturity that he doesn't to realize that they need to work on themselves- by themselves. What cut him so deep is the fact that he was there for her at her darkest hour- quite literally rescuing her from hurting herself badly by calling her parents and hunting her down. He can't wrap his head around her giving up on him/them.

But she is right. And maybe he is finally getting it. As his parents we finally feel that we can see a light at the end of the tunnel for our son. I never thought that I would feel almost giddy with relief to be dropping major coin in hospitalizing my son for mental health issues, but here I am. Biggest fear? That he changes his mind...

Happy birthday, waz - enjoy

Whether you like the former president's politics or not, The Carter Center is a great place to get started pursuing charitable interests. There's Habitat, they pioneered Lifestraw, theyre in every corner of the world & they have a great % of direct service per $.

Volunteering is a great way to deal with the blues, too - people are nicer to & less complicated with you when you're helping, you get great perspective on human problems and it removes doubt that your life is adding something. Finding a cause that matches one's passions can be one of the best things that can happen to a life. GL -
This is very true from my experience.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread