What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (5 Viewers)

I did not consider quicksilver one of the main characters since he does not even last a movie but you are correct, he is never referred to as quicksilver.  The fact that neither him nor Scarlet Witch hero names are used may have something to do with the rights battle at that time over those characters.

============================

Lets run through the group

Iron Man - a ton

Captain America - a ton

Thor - does not really have a super hero name

Hulk - many times

Black Widow - a couple

Hawkeye - a couple

Scarlet Witch - never

Vision - it's his only name I guess

War Machine - a few times

The Winter Soldier - a few times

Falcon - not sure if mentioned aloud but is on a folder

Star Lord - Many times

Spiderman - many times

Antman - I don't think any mentions

Wasp - I don't think any mentions
Bruce Banner in Infinity War: "There's an Antman and a Spiderman?"

IS Scarlet Witch the only "Super Hero" name never mentioned in the MCU from the general group of characters?  Black Widow and Hawkeye were mentioned a couple of times over the years.   

I think Falcon was the name of the folder in Captain America 2 but I am not sure if this was said aloud at any time.
Pretty sure Ant-Man called Sam “Falcon” in his first movie when trying to infiltrate the upstate base.

Also Maria Hill calls him Falcon in Winter Soldier during the carrier battle

Last edited by a moderator:
The are a few in Ant-Man:

Hank Pym: Scott, I need you to be the Ant-Man.
Scott Lang: One question... Is it too late to change the name?

Luis: Yeah, this dude sounds like a bad-###, man. Like he comes up to him and he says, y'know: I'm looking for this dude who's mo' unseen, who's flashing this fresh tat, who's got, like, bomb moves, right? Who you got? She's like: Well, we got everything nowadays. We got a guy who jumps, we got a guy who swings, we got a guy who crawls up the walls, you gotta be more specific. And he's like: I'm looking for a guy who shrinks. And I'm like: Daaamn! I got all nervous, 'cause I keep mad secrets for you, bro. So I asked Ignacio: Did bad-### tell the stupid fine writer chick, to tell you, to tell me, because I'm tight with Ant-Man that he's looking for him?

Yellowjacket: You think you can stop the future? You're just a thief!
Scott Lang: No, I'm the Ant-Man!... I know, it wasn't my idea.

Kurt: The Ant-Man is in the building.

I also think Darren Cross talks about a mythical Ant-Man and Pym says "Just a tall tale" in reference to the comics.

In the comic books it was a blood transfusion from the Kree that gave Danvers her powers.  In the movie, it was the power from the engine that blew up which gave her powers.  However, the explosion still injured her enough that the Kree took her back to study her, and in doing so, healed her with blood transfusions as well.  The Kree wanted to keep Danvers alive to study and determine how she was able to absorb so much of the power from the engine, and then be able to harness and use it.  The disc on her neck was to inhibit and restrain her use of the powers while they studied her.  The way she absorbed the light engine blast was similar to how Banner absorbed the gamma radiation, at least IMO.  There was nothing in the story to explain that portion of it, only that she did absorb it and is able to now use it.
Actually...

In the comics, Carol was introduced as the love interest of the then-actual Captain Marvel, a Kree warrior in disguise on Earth called Mar-Vell. After being caught in the explosive blast of a Kree superweapon called the Psyche-Magnetron, Carol’s DNA was merged with Mar-Vell’s, granting her his powers. Originally she would black out and the Kree DNA would take over her body, turning her into Ms. Marvel, but later on she was just naturally superpowered.

It was always a bit of a weird origin—and unlike the Carol Danvers fans grew to love in the rebooted Captain Marvel comics, one where she wasn’t really an active agent, getting her superpowers from her space-boyfriend. Captain Marvel comic writer Kelly Sue DeConnick actually tweaked the origin for her acclaimed run on the comic, making it a time paradox where the future Carol ensured her past self would be caught in the explosive blast, so she could become the hero Earth needed in the future.

Props to them for not releasing "Endgame Part 1" and "Endgame Part 2" separately
they kind of already did.  Remember that the original names for the the two movies were intended to be Infinity War Part 1 and Infinity War Part2 before they decided on stand alone names.

So I saw Captain Marvel over the weekend. Movie was great, but her acting was rough. Just flat, flat, flat. I know they tried to harp on the whole, not letting emotion get the best of her, but then she's supposed to be a smart ### but her wise cracks were flat as well. It's like she was supposed to be some sort of weird marriage of Dead Pool and a Vulcan. I know she can act, so I'm more placing this on the director. He needs to do a better job. 

So I saw Captain Marvel over the weekend. Movie was great, but her acting was rough. Just flat, flat, flat. I know they tried to harp on the whole, not letting emotion get the best of her, but then she's supposed to be a smart ### but her wise cracks were flat as well. It's like she was supposed to be some sort of weird marriage of Dead Pool and a Vulcan. I know she can act, so I'm more placing this on the director. He needs to do a better job. 
It'll be interesting to see what the Russo brothers get out of her in Endgame.

It'll be interesting to see what the Russo brothers get out of her in Endgame.
Just let her kick ### and not talk much. Same thing happened with Momoa in Aquaman. He was fine drinking with Jango Fett, but when he tried to go deep, he didn't do very well, but I blame that more on Khal Drogo not being able to act. Brie was pretty much monotone the entire movie except for maybe one scene.  It sort of reminded me of the terminator chick on the Terminator TV show or that robot girl in Small Wonder. 

The first 1:15 was painfully bad.  Really, REALLY bad.  You are correct every line she gave was flat.  All the jokes that first 5/8 of the movie did.  The last 45 minutes were pretty good both for humor and action.  But Brie acted terribly and the guy who said she runs weird was spot on.  I was convinced any time she was supposed to do anything athletic they had to sub in a body double.  I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 because I did think the last 3/8 of it redeemed the movie, but I'd never need to watch it again.  

Marvel released some marketing material called "Avenge the fallen"

In it we learn for the first time that Shuri was dusted.  Her fate was not shown in Infinity War.

Is anything new from the movie in there? Was that the Benetar we see flying in or a quinjet? On phone and work so not really able to watch it.
Its basically interviews cut into the last trailer, nothing new.  I think that was a quinjet but could be the Benetar?

Marvel released some marketing material called "Avenge the fallen"

In it we learn for the first time that Shuri was dusted.  Her fate was not shown in Infinity War.
Interesting thing about those posters to me is 1) Valkyrie, Wong, Pepper Potts and Happy were not dusted and 2) No posters for Korg or Miek.

facook said:
The first 1:15 was painfully bad.  Really, REALLY bad.  You are correct every line she gave was flat.  All the jokes that first 5/8 of the movie did.  The last 45 minutes were pretty good both for humor and action.  But Brie acted terribly and the guy who said she runs weird was spot on.  I was convinced any time she was supposed to do anything athletic they had to sub in a body double.  I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 because I did think the last 3/8 of it redeemed the movie, but I'd never need to watch it again.  
Yeah, I enjoyed it. I thought the story was fantastic. I loved seeing Fury with hair and both eyes. I loved the plot twists, and yes, once they went full on action mode, the movie was highly entertaining. On par with anything that Marvel has done to date, but man, early on her delivery was cringe worthy. 

This was sort of the opposite of Michael Keaton as Batman. Keaton made a great Bruce Wayne, but terrible as Batman. Brie was great as Captain Marvel, terrible at Danvers. 

So glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.  Saw it with my daughter last night and that was my big takeaway.  But I've never seen her in anything except Scott Pilgram, and honestly, she kind of played the same no-emotion girl.  So I didn't know if she's always that way or what.  But she was very emotionless.  In fact, one part where she laughed, she told the joke with no emotion, they cut to Fury laughing, then back to her laughing and it seemed like such a forced laugh that might have been done on the 86th take.  Very odd.

And as much as I really liked the movie, the first 20 minutes in space felt like I was watching a bad Star Trek movie.  Seriously almost lost both of us.  I understand the whole space part of the storyline, but I think anytime a Superhero movie spends too much time off planet, you lose the core of the story.  Superhero movies are not Sci-Fi movies.  Mixing the two is not a good thing.

And as much as I really liked the movie, the first 20 minutes in space felt like I was watching a bad Star Trek movie.  Seriously almost lost both of us.  I understand the whole space part of the storyline, but I think anytime a Superhero movie spends too much time off planet, you lose the core of the story.  Superhero movies are not Sci-Fi movies.  Mixing the two is not a good thing.
I voiced a similar complaint about the possibility of removing Earth as the central focus of the MCU going forward. But Guardians of the Galaxy was a ton of fun and about as space shippy sci-fi as it gets. Thor Ragnarok was awesome despite being on Earth for a cup of coffee. Being off planet can work if it's done well. I enjoyed Captain Marvel, including the space parts.

So glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.  Saw it with my daughter last night and that was my big takeaway.  But I've never seen her in anything except Scott Pilgram, and honestly, she kind of played the same no-emotion girl.  So I didn't know if she's always that way or what.  But she was very emotionless.  In fact, one part where she laughed, she told the joke with no emotion, they cut to Fury laughing, then back to her laughing and it seemed like such a forced laugh that might have been done on the 86th take.  Very odd.

Man was that rough. I'm guessing they went through and found all her terrible forced laughs and used the one that sucked the least which was why they had to cut back and forth between the two in order to make that sort of work. 

I didn't mind Danvers character at all. I think some of the flatness in acting in the first part of the movie may have been intentional in that Danvers couldn't remember who she actually was. She was more animated in the latter parts of the movie after she had remembered her past. I think she is likely to continue to be animated in Endgame as she will be excited to be around other humans  who have the powers that she does.

It will be interesting to see if there is any love connection between Thor and Marvel which was hinted at as a possibility in the trailer.

I didn't mind Danvers character at all. I think some of the flatness in acting in the first part of the movie may have been intentional in that Danvers couldn't remember who she actually was. She was more animated in the latter parts of the movie after she had remembered her past. I think she is likely to continue to be animated in Endgame as she will be excited to be around other humans  who have the powers that she does.

It will be interesting to see if there is any love connection between Thor and Marvel which was hinted at as a possibility in the trailer.
I predict a complete lack of chemistry based on the acting ability of Brie. Sorta like Jason Bourne and that german chick in the Bourne Identity. man was that rough. 

I voiced a similar complaint about the possibility of removing Earth as the central focus of the MCU going forward. But Guardians of the Galaxy was a ton of fun and about as space shippy sci-fi as it gets. Thor Ragnarok was awesome despite being on Earth for a cup of coffee. Being off planet can work if it's done well. I enjoyed Captain Marvel, including the space parts.
True.  Good points.  I think you're right about how it's done because neither of those felt like a Star Trek movie.  And nothing against Star Trek, but I don't want that chocolate in my Superhero peanut butter.  

Not sure why this one felt so different.  But both of us thought it felt out of place from the other movies.  And were huge fans of all the movies.

True.  Good points.  I think you're right about how it's done because neither of those felt like a Star Trek movie.  And nothing against Star Trek, but I don't want that chocolate in my Superhero peanut butter.  

Not sure why this one felt so different.  But both of us thought it felt out of place from the other movies.  And were huge fans of all the movies.
The beginning was just weirdly disjointed. The flash backs were strange. It's a hard story to tell without spilling it. But it could've been better...

Surprised to see no mention although I could have missed it: The Eternals has been “confirmed.” Ie leaked all over the internet for Phase 4 with Angelina Jolie cast in some part. I am assuming she will be Sersi?

Users who are viewing this thread