Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Corporation

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Sanity Prevails Spidey Back in MCU

24 minutes ago, Chaka said:

End to his story?  Holland is awesome as Spider Man.

I imagine Disney & Feige see Holland as an MCU tent pole for Phase Four and beyond.

Yes but they don’t own his rights. The contract for the character was 5 movies I believe. 

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

Yes but they don’t own his rights. The contract for the character was 5 movies I believe. 

It was five movies and that could be it for Spidey in the MCU but it would be madness for Marvel Studios and Sony not to come back to the table.

I believe Sony cannot use Holland as Spider-Man in any other feature films (which is why he wasn't in Venom and won't be in Carnage) so if they don't come back to the table that means yet another Spider-Man reboot and that sounds like bad business for all concerned.

Posted (edited)

You guys probably have more updated information, but this link has Holland talking about 6 movies (3 solo, 3 ensemble).  That would give one more picture to finish out his trilogy.

https://www.slashfilm.com/tom-hollands-spiderman-contract/

And I do see a reference to the 5 films you guys were talking about.  Holland has been known to let spoilers fly, so maybe he wasn't supposed to say there were 6 films.  I think they'll find a way to work it out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/24/sonys-plan-for-spider-man-cinematic-universe-lacks-a-hero-spidey.html

Edited by Corporation

Sony and Marvel will have to work out a deal, its been too good for them both not too.  And I'm sure it will have to open up other characters from Spidey's side for the MCU....

As for the final Netflix series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBKS2qH51I

Looks good.  Lets hope its at least as good as S1 if not better. 

48 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

How much new footage do you need to get yourself back into the theaters?

Good question.  Seen it twice already in theaters.  Probably won't increase my desire to see it again in theaters, but it doesn't hurt since I was considering going again anyway.  The kid and I do want to see some other movies first, so maybe on an off weekend?

I know they are appealing to the fanatics - but the new footage was not included in the original cut for a reason.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I know they are appealing to the fanatics - but the new footage was not included in the original cut for a reason.

Yeah the fact that it was a 3 hour movie came into many decisions I would bet. 

A lot of fans are willing to see a 4 hour director's cut too, I wager.

5 minutes ago, The Big Guy said:

Yeah the fact that it was a 3 hour movie came into many decisions I would bet. 

A lot of fans are willing to see a 4 hour director's cut too, I wager.

I'd go see it again for an extra 60 minutes. For an extra 60 second?  Probably not. 

So Zoe Saldana is in the top 2 highest grossing movies of all time.  And 3 of the top 5.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

So Zoe Saldana is in the top 2 highest grossing movies of all time.  And 3 of the top 5.

And probably one of the only actors to act in 3 different skin colors.

• Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, dhockster said:

And probably one of the only actors to act in 3 different skin colors.

I wouldn't know. I don't see skin color.

• Laughing 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I wouldn't know. I don't see skin color.

I do. But only when it's Green or Blue

• Thinking 1

18 hours ago, B Maverick said:

I made the argument recently that she might wind up being the actor/actress that grosses more in his/her movies than anyone else. That was obviously before what happened in Infinity War (I don't want to say for the none of us who haven't seen it yet). But I don't think the Star Trek franchise is done and she's got like 4 more Avatar movies to do which no matter what will do a Bill in China each. And what if they do any Pirates of the Caribbean spin offs? Look at that resume:

Pirates

Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers

Star Trek

Those are some extremely impressive franchises, and one of those, so far, is a franchise of one but will eventually be a franchise of 5. 

22 minutes ago, TheFanatic said:

I made the argument recently that [Zoe Saldana] might wind up being the actor/actress that grosses more in his/her movies than anyone else ...

Those are some extremely impressive franchises, and one of those, so far, is a franchise of one but will eventually be a franchise of 5. 

If voice work counts, she's been getting a healthy amount of it (Book of Life, My Little Pony, Missing Link) so far. No animated hits yet for Saldana, but if she keeps getting calls for voice work and eventually hits on the next Ice Age or Shrek or something ... that would boost her numbers a lot.

36 minutes ago, Doug B said:

If voice work counts, she's been getting a healthy amount of it (Book of Life, My Little Pony, Missing Link) so far. No animated hits yet for Saldana, but if she keeps getting calls for voice work and eventually hits on the next Ice Age or Shrek or something ... that would boost her numbers a lot.

And it seems like she takes on lots of small stuff she doesn't need to take on, like the voice work and music video stuff. Like she's a workaholic. That bodes well also. 

3 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

I made the argument recently that she might wind up being the actor/actress that grosses more in his/her movies than anyone else. That was obviously before what happened in Infinity War (I don't want to say for the none of us who haven't seen it yet). But I don't think the Star Trek franchise is done and she's got like 4 more Avatar movies to do which no matter what will do a Bill in China each. And what if they do any Pirates of the Caribbean spin offs? Look at that resume:

Pirates

Guardians of the Galaxy/Avengers

Star Trek

She had a small part in the original Pirates movie and wasn't seen again in the other 5. Or am I missing something?

The rest I completely agree.

1 minute ago, B Maverick said:

She had a small part in the original Pirates movie and wasn't seen again in the other 5. Or am I missing something?

The rest I completely agree.

I thought she had a role in the rest of them, but I've only seen the second one and part of 3. Looking at IMDB, I'm thinking you are correct.

Still, Avatar, as meh as it was received in the States, it crushed in China. She is going to add probably 3 billion in China along for the next 4 Avatar movies. 

On 6/28/2019 at 2:40 PM, TheFanatic said:

I thought she had a role in the rest of them, but I've only seen the second one and part of 3. Looking at IMDB, I'm thinking you are correct.

Still, Avatar, as meh as it was received in the States, it crushed in China. She is going to add probably 3 billion in China along for the next 4 Avatar movies. 

I mean Avatar was huge here as well, it's the way it's aged in pop culture judgement 10 years later that makes it seem like it was not that big a deal

19 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I mean Avatar was huge here as well, it's the way it's aged in pop culture judgement 10 years later that makes it seem like it was not that big a deal

It was big here, but didn't it only do like 700 million and the rest was mainly China. So almost 2 thirds? 

Also, I know it hasn't aged well in terms of pop culture judgement, but I watched it with my kids a couple years ago and they LOVED it. They have no recollection of it when it came out as my oldest is only 11, but they thought it was fantastic. I think that bodes well for the sequels. 

• Like 1

Too many of these threads, not sure where to put stuff.   Just got back from Spiderman and thought it was average, which is disappointing since Homecoming was one of my favorite Marvel movies.  A bit of the humor is intact, but the things I loved about Homecoming went away as of course since it's Marvel and a sequel, we had to go bigger.  Homecoming was great because of the smaller scale and story and great performance by Keaton.  

25 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Too many of these threads, not sure where to put stuff.   Just got back from Spiderman and thought it was average, which is disappointing since Homecoming was one of my favorite Marvel movies.  A bit of the humor is intact, but the things I loved about Homecoming went away as of course since it's Marvel and a sequel, we had to go bigger.  Homecoming was great because of the smaller scale and story and great performance by Keaton.  

I didn't even know this was out yet. 

1 hour ago, Jaysus said:

I didn't even know this was out yet. 

Limited release at midnight last night and full showings starting during the day today. Starting early for the July 4th week.

• Thanks 1

I have tickets for Friday night.  Was actually surprised to find many seats still available at my local theater.  Usually they fill up quickly.

Posted (edited)

I thought it was pretty good. The concept of the movie with the tech was great and the implications of said tech could span more than this movie. The nice tie-ins with other Marvel characters was pretty good too. Initial response is that it is a nice start to the next wave of Marvel. The ending is messing with my brain a bit though. I have the same reaction as Spiderman... WTF!

I won't put this in spoilers but the "code" that was given to Fury might be an indication as to who some of the unnamed movies might include.

Also, Zendaya, if they use her like the next Pepper, that would be a welcome. She is pretty good.

Edited by Mario Kart

Just got back from seeing it.  Lots of fun and stands up to the middle tier of the MCU quality wise.  Solid effort all around

Even Dead I The Hero :heart:

Loved loved loved the JK Simmons cameo.  What a wonderful call back to the days before the MCU

Just have to ask... but if you haven't seen the movie, don't open:

What do you make of the ending and how Mysterio screws over Spiderman? People are now going to be against him and Stark technology, in theory. Where does his character and MJ go from here? This has me bummed out.

I have tickets for Wednesday. I’m pretty apprehensive about this. Bringing back billions of people would throw the world into chaos never seen. Taking a school trip after a few months back seems like they are taking the approach of “well that’s over let’s move on”. Still hopeful. 

5 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

Just have to ask... but if you haven't seen the movie, don't open:

Hide contents

What do you make of the ending and how Mysterio screws over Spiderman? People are now going to be against him and Stark technology, in theory. Where does his character and MJ go from here? This has me bummed out.

after all these years, I was left shaking my head when people left the theaters today after the movie ended.  They missed arguably one of the best credits scenes ever. 

I don't know where they are going with this but they may be setting up a full movie where Spiderman is considered a villain and he has to clear his name

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Reveal hidden contents

after all these years, I was left shaking my head when people left the theaters today after the movie ended.  They missed arguably one of the best credits scenes ever. 

I don't know where they are going with this but they may be setting up a full movie where Spiderman is considered a villain and he has to clear his name

Jameson always hated Spidey and painted him as a vigilante at best and a villain at worst.   This lets the story go to his darker character rather than a straight-out hero.   Spidey always struggled with this tension.

The mysterio story was a good adaption of the comics and wrapped up the avengers arc pretty well.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Saw it last night with my daughter. Thought it was ok to good. Jake Gyllenhall just bothers me overall, so that lessened my enjoyment some.

Can someone explain the second end credit scene? I get that it was a Captain Marvel tie-in, but what was the relevance of Fury in Space?

15 hours ago, Tecumseh said:

Saw it last night with my daughter. Thought it was ok to good. Jake Gyllenhall just bothers me overall, so that lessened my enjoyment some.

Reveal hidden contents

Can someone explain the second end credit scene? I get that it was a Captain Marvel tie-in, but what was the relevance of Fury in Space?

This is a good assessment.  I thought it was pretty good.  It will be in the lower middle tier of marvel movies.  I really like Tom Holland as SpiderMan.  Didn't care for the Mysterio character.  The first end credit scene may have been the highlight of the movie.

• Like 1

Just watched Homecoming for the first time and it’s pretty fantastic. Holland might have a future. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Homecoming was okay at best. Dragged. Will sit at the very bottom of all the Kevin Feige led Marvel movies for me. Dont get me wrong, it had some solid moments. Tom Holland is damn good and the best part. But still the least of all the offering since Iron Man hit the screens. 

Edited by BigSteelThrill

4 hours ago, BigSteelThrill said:

Homecoming was okay at best. Dragged. Will sit at the very bottom of all the Kevin Feige led Marvel movies for me. Dont get me wrong, it had some solid moments. Tom Holland is damn good and the best part. But still the least of all the offering since Iron Man hit the screens. 

Wow.  Couldn't disagree more.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to see the latest Spiderman yesterday with my son. I haven't seen a lot of the comic book movies but my son has so he brought me up on the whole Avengers, blip thing...

With that context, I really enjoyed the movie. Thought the writing was entertaining and similar to other comic book adaptations I have seen, there wasn't quite as much cheesiness as I remember from the others. Granted, you are suspending reality for pretty much the entire movie but it just seems that other comic movies I have seen were a bit more cringy with the writing. 

I know I'm casting a wide net there but overall, I enjoyed it and it has got me interested in seeing the Avengers movie that led up to this one.

Took the kids on Wed. We all loved it. The scene where we really see what the tech can do to someone was a bit long and over the top, but that's my only complaint. I thought it was outstanding. The end credit scenes were maybe the two best ever (one mid credits, one at the very end for those who haven't gone yet). 

I thought they did a bunch of cameos with Stan Lee that were supposed to go beyond End Game. I don't remember seeing him in this one. 

Just saw it and loved it.  It was my first 3D movie and the scenes with mysterio were great.

6 hours ago, TheFanatic said:

I thought they did a bunch of cameos with Stan Lee that were supposed to go beyond End Game. I don't remember seeing him in this one. 

In an interview with CinemaBlend, director Jon Watts said “It felt right” for Endgame to be his last cameo and that they didn’t shoot an appearance for him because of his declining health.

Stan Lee also did not appear in the most recent x-men movie.

• Like 3

Really enjoyed Spider-Man.  Awesome movie.  Disliked and loved the credits scenes

• Love 1

Liked it much better than Homecoming which I always thought was extremely overrated. Didn't like the mid- credit scene ramifications but oh well. 

• Like 1

End Credits stole the show. I forget how to do spoiler tags. It's been awhile.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

In an interview with CinemaBlend, director Jon Watts said “It felt right” for Endgame to be his last cameo and that they didn’t shoot an appearance for him because of his declining health.

Stan Lee also did not appear in the most recent x-men movie.

Its fitting that it was his last one.

• Like 2

Also love the hints throughout the movie to the after credits scene. It makes sense when you look back at it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was wondering how they were going to bring things back down to earth, so to speak. Spider-Man can't be saving the world or even the whole city every time out. I loved Far from Home. It hit all the right notes for me as a die-hard Spidey fan.

Also did anyone else notice the chromatic scale when he took a fall in one scene? Great call back to the old animated cartoon.

Of course I knew that Mysterio would end up being, well, Mysterio, but I was impressed that they at least tried to use the multiverse explanation as a red herring.

I can't overstate how impressed I was with the illusion scenes. I remember as a kid watching the cartoon thinking that the idea of Mysterio is cool but illusions couldn't possibly be effective against a super hero like Spider-Man.  They pulled that off better than I could have ever imagined.

Edited by Psychopav

1 minute ago, Psychopav said:

I was wondering how they were going to bring things back down to earth, so to speak. Spider-Man can't be saving the world or even the whole city every time out. I loved Far from Home. It got all the right notes for me as a die-hard Spidey fan.

Also did anyone else notice the chromatic scale when he took a fall in one scene? Great call back to the old animated cartoon.

Hide contents

Of course I knew that Mysterio would end up being, well, Mysterio, but u was impressed that they at least tried to use the multiverse explanation as a red herring.

I can't overstate how impressed I was with the illusion scenes. They pulled that off better than I could have ever imagined.

Agreed. Though my 8 yo son was a bit lost. He told me afterwards he wasn't sure what happened at the end 

Meh.  At best a 6 on a 10 scale.  Multiple attempts at comedy that failed almost across the board.  The Spider-man story is so rich compared to Iron Man.  They need to get him out of Iron Man's shadow.

• Thinking 1